Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

So Football Scoop is reporting that Saban was negotiating with coaches to join his staff less than 24hrs ago and lots of rumors on Bama boards that it may be health-related to Miss Terry... 

How rigorously did the fanatically methodical Saban fulfill his role as Alabama head coach till the very end? Multiple sources with direct knowledge told FootballScoop that Saban had conducted numerous interviews for the Tide's open assistant coaching positions within the past 24 hours, including throughout the day on Wednesday.

Dont want to speculate too much, but I dont think Saban would be negotiating to bring people in yesterday and retiring today without one hell of a reason

Edited by Laxtonto
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

They are going to have to settle the question becomes who is dumb enough to follow the GOAT?  Dabo because it's his alma mater and the shine has worn off at Clemson.  Bilbo is also dumb enough to do it too but my guess is the Gumps would go all Mike Stoops if that came to fruition.

I think they can probably get Dabo.

18 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I wouldnt really be that broken up if they wanted to hire Sark at 8mil/yr. Calm down everyone

I was thinking that when i heard it, when I read your post i realized I was retarded.  So thanks for that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That list of buyouts is hilarious.  A&M just paid $78M to make a spare go away, when a bunch of real coaches are $20M or less.

Yeah man A&M is the worst poker player on the planet.  They basically show their foes their two hold cards and then still go all-in.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

NIL did him in.  and Texas has deeper pockets.  'Bama had the best players because Saban won.  Not because "they're 'Bama".  Back to the way it was boys.  

That plus Texas and OU coming in can’t be discounted completely.

Well that just fucked aggy in the culo.  Anyone they get/keep will always be an Alabama reject... 

The "keeping" part will likely not be a problem for aggy. I haven't paid attention to their "greatest corch'n staff ever assembled" clown show, but I doubt they netted anyone who's even a blip on Alabama's radar.

I'm sure @closetojumping is waiting for just the right time to reach out to his 'Bama friends to find out how they're dealing with this. I thought one was even a member of Saban's administration so hopefully they find a soft landing spot. 

The big question is, does 'Bama have deep enough pockets to compete in the NIL-era post-Saban? They've been THE standard for the last 15 years so don't expect them to disappear into irrelevancy like Nebraska, but reality is about to slap them pretty hard upside the face.

3 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

That plus Texas and OU coming in can’t be discounted completely.

SEC experts are predicting it will take about four years to adjust to the week-in week-out grind of the SEC. We'll be lucky if death only claims a dozen players in that first year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ousux said:

Not worried, the University of Texas is a destination school and Sark knows it. The Gumps can never outbid us either.

Sark also knows how insane being the first coach to follow the GOAT would be..he's experienced Gump fans first hand.

Saban likes Sark enough to tell him not to follow him.

I'd imagine Saban timed this to Bama already having their man. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Exactly.  Saban wants no part of a world where a kid can make just as much money in LA or Austin as he can in Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge.

This is a changing of the guard moment.  The future of college football is the schools with the deepest pockets and the sexiest destinations for a kid to build a brand.

And Saban knows it.

This advantage is one reason why I don't fear losing Sark to Bama.  He's knows future UT has more recruiting and portal offerings for kids than Bama.

37 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Ray Perkins
Bill Curry
Gene Stallings
Mike Dubose
Dennis Franchione
Mike Price
Mike Shula

Good luck to the next asshole that takes that job, especially operating at an NIL deficit relative to the other powers across college football and in their own conference. I'm sure the Bama fans will temper their expectations accordingly.

Career. Suicide. 

So assuming that football at Bama starts wondering the wilderness like we did for over a decade, will that affect their overall NIL package that feeds the other sports too?  

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Whoever runs the surlyhorns Twitter account: Saban lost to Ron Zook's Florida 19-7 in 2003 (the year of the split national championship).

It was me, and I should have specified during his 'Bama tenure. Thanks for the info tho.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He was clearly scared of UT in the SEC.  I’m the first to make that observation, right?

He saw OU was on the schedule and started having nightmares about hearing Boomer Sooner for three straight hours. It drove him to madnes.

I can't blame him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

SEC experts are predicting it will take about four years to adjust to the week-in week-out grind of the SEC. We'll be lucky if death only claims a dozen players in that first year.

On SEC Rant, it's nothing but "just wait until you have to run the SEC gauntlet every week" ... and then 2 seconds later, they're bitching about how "Texas got a weak conference schedule next year."  They can't make up their own minds.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire
  • Pancho locked this topic