2024 NFL Playoffs- Conference Championship Games

Lions/Michigan fan back from the bar.

What a season. Bad drops and fumble, otherwise they didn't stop us.

What a season! Probably never see another like this in my lifetime. Had innumerable high fives, hugs, and first bumps with strangers this season. In Houston for the title game, at Tampa and Chicago road lions games, and in a buncha bars.

That's what sports is about, once you're doing more watching than playing.

2024 season... You fucked. Rest in power.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

He’s taken them the furthest the Lions have been in our lifetimes. Dan has done a great job. Goff was left there for dead. It is what it is. Could he have taken 3 earlier yes? Did he no? Doesn’t make him stupid. He’s outcoached the majority of the teams. They are the third or fourth best team in the country. That’s an accomplishment. I didn’t see either the Lions nor the 49’ers winning it all because the AFC is just better and KC has picked the right time to be hot. 

Some of us are more than old enough to remember. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

He’s taken them the furthest the Lions have been in our lifetimes. Dan has done a great job. Goff was left there for dead. It is what it is. Could he have taken 3 earlier yes? Did he no? Doesn’t make him stupid. He’s outcoached the majority of the teams. They are the third or fourth best team in the country. That’s an accomplishment. I didn’t see either the Lions nor the 49’ers winning it all because the AFC is just better and KC has picked the right time to be hot. 

Yeah, and the NFL paid Taylor Swift a lot of money to fake that romance and go to the games. They're not going to let that investment go down the drain. 

https://themessenger.com/sports/taylor-swift-generated-331-5-million-chiefs-nfl

Edited by Richard Kimball

34 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Visiting family in Anchorage. Visited all the breweries and watched games at 49th State Brewery. All Anchorage and area breweries kick Austin breweries asses. 

49th state is awesome 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I think you mean world

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/22/2024 at 4:08 PM, shadow_operative said:

jus my threw on the tv for some background wand it was on espn and their nfl show. i caught the last 5-10 minutes of their show, and zero hyperbole, here’s what they said:

•you can’t rush four against lamar or he’ll kill you

•if you try to blitz lamar he will kill you

•the ravens are legitimately unstoppable

•the only team that can beat the ravens is the ravens

•if the chiefs win this game then patrick mahomes is the goat, because the ravens simply cannot be beaten 

so uh, i guess that’s it. no need to even play these games. the ravens have the 1999 rams offense, the ‘85 bears defense, devin hester at kick returner, and the greatest kicker of all time. ok well that part is true. seriously though, to hear espn tell it the ravens are about to win their next two games 100-0.

lol, and of course now that the chiefs win the game, twitter, including/especially espn media personalities, are talking about the chiefs the exact same way that espn talked about USC in december of 2005. a week ago they had no chance to beat the ravens,  now they are the greatest dynasty the world has ever seen. patrick mahomes was supposed to lose last week, yet today he is michael jordan. weird how that works. 🙄 man i wish sports media wasn’t exclusively in the business of sensationalizing everything.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

patrick mahomes was supposed to lose last week, yet today he is michael jordan. weird how that works.

He was already Michael Jordan, sensationalism, be damned.  When I talk about Mahomes with my grown-ass sons, I tell them if you want to know what it was like with Jordan taking over games and making unbelievable plays, and just willing his team to wins; Mahomes is the closest to that I've ever seen, along with Gretzky.  You don't turn off the TV because you might miss something spectacular.

Now don't stats me to death on the differences; just understand there are some similarities.  The comparison in that context is hardly outrageous.  Then add in the staying power...

But yeah, fuck the talking heads.  Mahomes doesn't need the hype.  Yesterday's win was absolutely a team effort.  Talking about just PMIII is just lazy.

Edited by slorch

11 hours ago, choripan said:

Lions/Michigan fan back from the bar.

What a season. Bad drops and fumble, otherwise they didn't stop us.

What a season! Probably never see another like this in my lifetime. Had innumerable high fives, hugs, and first bumps with strangers this season. In Houston for the title game, at Tampa and Chicago road lions games, and in a buncha bars.

That's what sports is about, once you're doing more watching than playing.

2024 season... You fucked. Rest in power.

When can we start asking you about where to stay and where to drink in Ann Arbor?

• Like 1

God that was an agonizing gut-punch Lions defeat last night for me.  It was completely out of character for this year's Lions players to choke on really basic things like catching, tackling, and keeping contain over and over and over again the entire second half.  I guess I chalk it up to a complete lack of poise of a young team that had never been under such a bright spotlight.  I think they are set up well for the future but I've been around long enough to know they may well never get back there.  Offseason wish list starts with two NFL-caliber CBs.

I loved the two fourth down calls, the first one hit Josh Reynolds right in the hands. He catches it and the Lions are going to Las Vegas I think.  But the failed run on third down near the goal line on the Lions' last series was an inexcusable call.  It forced the Lions to burn one of their three timeouts and guaranteed they would never see the ball again.  Major coaching blunder by Dan Campbell/Ben Johnson.  Dammit.

• Like 1

But the failed run on third down near the goal line on the Lions' last series was an inexcusable call.  It forced the Lions to burn one of their three timeouts and guaranteed they would never see the ball again.  Major coaching blunder by Dan Campbell/Ben Johnson.  Dammit.

It did not force them to call time out. The run call thought was not bad but changing personnel and running a tight formation was.

WBT mentioned higher up that not having the next play ready was the issue. If you run it, burn 15 seconds and keep the timeout because if the 49ers have the ball, they are burning 40.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, slorch said:

He was already Michael Jordan, sensationalism, be damned.  When I talk about Mahomes with my grown-ass sons, I tell them if you want to know what it was like with Jordan taking over games and making unbelievable plays, and just willing his team to wins; Mahomes is the closest to that I've ever seen, along with Gretzky.  You don't turn off the TV because you might miss something spectacular.

Now don't stats me to death on the differences; just understand there are some similarities.  The comparison in that context is hardly outrageous.  Then add in the staying power...

But yeah, fuck the talking heads.  Mahomes doesn't need the hype.  Yesterday's win was absolutely a team effort.  Talking about just PMIII is just lazy.

Lulz i heard every show and talking head talk about how the Chiefs have been "shaky" this year(imagine a division champ with the 9th best offense and 2nd best defense being considered shaky) and that the Ravens were going to win. Some even predicted blowout. And now those same people will scoff at Travis Kelce and Mahomes playing the "nobody believed in us" card.

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Blacked out the license plate to be courteous to those involved.

Thanks for doing that. I appreciate it. I mean, that’s clearly not me, but that’s nice of you. You see I’d never do that, ever. That’s not me. Not me at all. 

this is the thing.  the analytics only work if you....you know...follow the analytics every time.

Context matters a lot. In baseball, if you need a single run against a power pitcher who doesnt field their position well, maybe a sacrifice bunt is the right play.

As the 49ers defense was tightening up their run D and your team was playing tight and sloppy, maybe that 60% go for it wasnt representative of what was happening down the stretch.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Context matters a lot. In baseball, if you need a single run against a power pitcher who doesnt field their position well, maybe a sacrifice bunt is the right play.

As the 49ers defense was tightening up their run D and your team was playing tight and sloppy, maybe that 60% go for it wasnt representative of what was happening down the stretch.

I hate the word "analytics". It just isn't the proper word for this. In the context of sports, it's basic math. It's addition, subtraction, and division. It's just information that fills you in on tendencies. "When they are in this situation, they tend to do this".

It's information. That's it. The word "analytics" makes it seem like something more than it is. You're just taking information to make a more informed decision. To just blindly "go by the analytics" means you aren't really coaching, and really is just a cop out for bad coaching decisions. And that's all that was by Dan Campbell yesterday. Bad coaching decisions.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Blacked out the license plate to be courteous to those involved.

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Thanks for doing that. I appreciate it. I mean, that’s clearly not me, but that’s nice of you. You see I’d never do that, ever. That’s not me. Not me at all. 

Wasn't me doing either thing. I was just commenting on that someone blacked it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I hate the word "analytics". It just isn't the proper word for this. In the context of sports, it's basic math. It's addition, subtraction, and division. It's just information that fills you in on tendencies. "When they are in this situation, they tend to do this".

It's information. That's it. The word "analytics" makes it seem like something more than it is. You're just taking information to make a more informed decision. To just blindly "go by the analytics" means you aren't really coaching, and really is just a cop out for bad coaching decisions. And that's all that was by Dan Campbell yesterday. Bad coaching decisions.

They would not have been there were it not for his "bad" coaching decisions.  They were 7.5 point road dogs.  The fact that it was a game was remarkable.   

I bet detroit and the money line +275, but there is no way I am sad about the Lions efforts this season.

Edited by petscii
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, petscii said:

They would not have been there were it not for his "bad" coaching decisions.  They were 7.5 point road dogs.  The fact that it was a game was remarkable.   

I bet detroit and the money line +275, but there is no way I am sad about the Lions efforts this season.

His bad coaching decisions were what people were worried about going into the game and they played out exactly how we thought. The 49ers did nothing special. They just waited for the moment to get too big and for the Lions to be dumb.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really need to go rewatch that early 2nd half of the Detroit/SF game. Just to watch all the things that went wrong for Detroit to allow themselves to lose a 17 point lead against a team that wasn't doing much offensively the entire first half. There was a prescient tweet about watching God abandon a team in real time. That's going to haunt Dan Campbell for a long time. Luckily, he's got some great talent assembled that's barely scratching the surface of their potential. 

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

There are many more factors at play than just the expected conversion percentage. The overall game situation affects the usefulness of the "analytics". In the middle of the 3rd quarter Campbell had the chance to create a three score lead by taking a FG, which would have negated the 49ers FG on the opening drive of the 2nd half. That is a no brainer and his decision to go for it is indefensible. Period. 

The "analytics" say to go for it on 4th and goal at the one yard line. But if there are 10 seconds left in a tie game is that the smart move? 

Getting too caught up in being aggressive and a willingness to take risks got in the way of a proper coaching decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1