Amelia

Tailgate

“A deep-sea exploration company has captured a sonar image of an anomaly on the ocean floor that resembles an aircraft. The team believes the object could be Amelia Earhart's Lockheed 10-E Electra that went missing nearly 87 years ago.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/30/travel/amelia-earhart-missing-plane-pacific-ocean-scn/index.html

Edited by Tailgate
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• Tailgate changed the title to Amelia
20 minutes ago, Deej said:

If that's an airplane, the wings look swept, unlike her Electra. 

Lots of planes at the bottom of the ocean. 

Quite possible the wings could have been deformed on landing or on the way to the bottom. 

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Quite possible the wings could have been deformed on landing or on the way to the bottom. 

Still no less of a reach than, "Hey, we found what may be a plane 16,000 feet down! It's Amelia Earhart's!"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Deej said:

If she had completed her trip and lived two more years, she could have seen aggy win their only national championship in football. 

I also have a joke I'd like to make about her, but it probably wouldn't land. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I thought they found her crap on an island a long ass time ago

They did do a Geraldo Rivera level special years ago on an island but then were like, never mind it’s probably not her if I remember correctly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....remind me....wasn't there some sort of kerfuffle that had a shitload of planes flying around the S. Pacific 80-ish years ago or so?  I can't recall....

This indicates nothing, but I don't think swept wing planes were used by Japan or the US during WWII.   

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I thought they found her crap on an island a long ass time ago

Doubtful, her crap would have decomposed within a year in that environment (take a shit on a beach in tropical conditions and see how long it lasts).  And they wouldn’t have had DNA testing back then, so no way to verify it was her’s.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

There are more planes in the bottom of.the ocean than there are ships

It’s not like there were massive air battles in the Pacific in the 1940s, and thousands of planes criss-crossing the ocean hauling people and supplies or looking for ships or other planes,…

Oh.

It's been 87 years.   There's corrosion.   The wings were not swept back, but the leading edge and spars were.  There's no telling what has corroded away and how the structure has collapsed around it.  The sonar image is based on what is more reflective of sound, not necessarily the total shape of all the remains.  All that said, I'd put the probability that it is man made at 2% and the probably that it is her plane at 0.002%.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

That’s just two whales fucking 

Don't judge me - sincerely Vic

17 hours ago, Deej said:

If that's an airplane, the wings look swept, unlike her Electra. 

Lots of planes at the bottom of the ocean. 

Maybe it is MH-370 (I can't believe that will have been gone 10 years this March)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s not like there were massive air battles in the Pacific in the 1940s, and thousands of planes criss-crossing the ocean hauling people and supplies or looking for ships or other planes,…

Oh.

The Christmas package containing my Texas belt buckle that my brother sent from Austin to Taipei in 1957 is sitting somewhere on the floor of the Pacific.

It wasn’t worth the lives of the aircrew that went down with it. 😪

The Christmas package containing my Texas belt buckle that my brother sent from Austin to Taipei in 1957 is sitting somewhere on the floor of the Pacific.
It wasn’t worth the lives of the aircrew that went down with it. 

C’mon now. You gotta tell us the rest of that story.

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Don’t know any of the details, just that a commercial cargo plane bound for Taiwan disappeared before Christmas in 1957. 
Don’t know what carrier.
We assumed our package from my brother was aboard, as we never received it.

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Armybrat's belt buckle was shot down over the Sea of Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors. 

0.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

Don’t know any of the details, just that a commercial cargo plane bound for Taiwan disappeared before Christmas in 1957. 
Don’t know what carrier.
We assumed our package from my brother was aboard, as we never received it.

I wonder if it was this one. Only Pacific crash I could find for 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_7?wprov=sfti1
  • Hook 'Em 2