Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 12/10/2021 at 10:06 PM, Celery Man said:

Saw a Sandra Bullock movie trailer pop up, what then hell I’ll watch. Unforgivable - not much happening in this movie at all, mostly a waste of 1:50 or whatever it was.

I started this the other night. It was a waste of time. Just a bunch of gloomy mopes and losers.   Much like the CR. At least the CR has some unintended humor built in. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/11/2021 at 6:49 PM, Celery Man said:

That bitch needs to eat some cookies.

Great movie. Way less problematic than Holiday Inn.

Funny enough, we watched Holiday Inn the other night having never seen it before. There was a small disclaimer at the beginning about racist depictions. I had read there was a scene with blackface. Oh wow did I underestimate how bad it was. It was bad but then Linda comes out as the ultimate blackface female stereotype and took it up a level. Different time, I get it but wow. 

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Funny enough, we watched Holiday Inn the other night having never seen it before. There was a small disclaimer at the beginning about racist depictions. I had read there was a scene with blackface. Oh wow did I underestimate how bad it was. It was bad but then Linda comes out as the ultimate blackface female stereotype and took it up a level. Different time, I get it but wow. 

as an 11 year old being raised in the unwoke burbs of the 90s i saw that and thought "jesus fucking christ woooowo wow"

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I thought 14 Peaks was badass.

Quite the undersell. It’s the story of a team of Nepalese climbers who summit all 14 of the world’s 8000+ meter peaks in 6 months. As someone who gets winded walking up 3 flights of stairs, I find this an incredible feat. 

Not super whelmed by the list

What's Coming to Netflix in January 2022 - What's on Netflix (whats-on-netflix.com)

Definitely interested:

• Munich – The Edge of War (2022) N – Christian Schwochow directs this adaptation of the Robert Harris novel set in the autumn of 1938 with Europe on the brink of war.
  • Archive 81 (Season 1) N  8 episodes of a new horror-thriller series that’s loosely based on the podcast series of the same name. The series follows an archivist who takes a job fixing damaged videotapes and is drawn into the investigation on them.

Maybe interested:

All of Us Are Dead (Season 1) N – Korean zombie series

Zone 414 (2021) – Sci-fi thriller about a private detective who is hired by a businessman to track down his daughter

The Colony / Tides (2021) – Saban Films sci-fi thriller about a colony in space sending an astronaut back to Earth to see if the planet is livable.

For the lulz:

• Home Team (2022) N – Kevin James plays a disgraced NFL coach who resorts to coaching his son’s football team.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Home Team (2022) N – Kevin James plays a disgraced NFL coach who resorts to coaching his son’s football team.

James plays Sean Peyton the year he was suspended from the NFL and coached his son's Pop Warner/PeeWee/WTFtheycallit team.

On 2/19/2021 at 5:03 PM, TonyTexas said:

I’ve been bingeing Call My Agent and am enjoying it. It’s a French show (subtitles) about a talent agency. Interesting premise in that each week deals with a different real life French movie star. Good recurring cast as well. 

On 5/2/2021 at 9:05 PM, Stringer said:

Enjoyed the first few episodes of “Call My Agent”. It’s a French show about a talent agency in Paris and they have actual French actors portraying themselves. It’s light and entertaining with French people being French.

As a Francophile, it’s right up my alley.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:24 AM, pyrohornIII said:

Call My Agent was a fun series with lots of good cameos. 

Call My Agent is fantastic. Haven't finished yet but it's a show worth raving about. I had some resistance to watching it because I doubted they'd do a good job with making the subject matter fun and interesting, buy they nailed it.

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I'm a little tardy but have been watching Harlan Coben's shows on Netflix - The Stranger and Stay Close. Both really good murder-mystery shows.

Really enjoyed Stay Close.  It was a little confusing at first, with all the different plot lines with the different characters.  After wife and I got used to the characters and began to see their roles, it proved to be well done.

We're big James Nesbitt and Jo Joyner fans, and the cast contains several other solid British TV regulars.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Just caught this last night. Crazy when people ascend some of these mountains without ropes. Good documentary on the guy.

Caught 14 peaks a few nights ago and caught this one tonight.  I realize that these people are truly exceptional, but damn if I don’t feel like a lump after watching them.