Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m laughing so hard at this dudes messages on WhatsApp to the chick selling his clothes.  Dying 

The whole last sequence with the Amsterdam chick is gold. 

(after reading a bull shit love letter he sent) “ha. What a piece of shit!”

(Simon thinking she didn’t have it in her) “well I had it in me. Hi Simon!!!”

• Haha 1

Murderland. Will Arnett is a homicide detective paired with a celeb trainee partner, like Conan OBrian or Marshawn Lynch, who has no script and has to improv a solution to a murder. You gotta pay attention to get the clues among all the bits.

Through the first 2 episodes. Funny premise, Marshawn Lynch episode was meh but had some amusing bits. Really needs a good improve comedian to work so Conan was pretty funny. The name bit had my wife and me in tears.

I like that even the “murder” comedy has them attempt to solve the who-dunnit at the end and they are then told if they’re right or wrong in solving it.

Through the first 2 episodes. Funny premise, Marshawn Lynch episode was meh but had some amusing bits. Really needs a good improve comedian to work so Conan was pretty funny. The name bit had my wife and me in tears.

I like that even the “murder” comedy has them attempt to solve the who-dunnit at the end and they are then told if they’re right or wrong in solving it.

The Conan bit in the Mexican restaurant was funny as was the one with the magician.

It does neither the spoof nor the serious drama competently. You have to be damn clever to make such a thing work. Elite clever. I had to bail after watching the first four episodes with my beloved.
This must have got made based on the pitch which must have got Bell attached. It turned out shit even with her formidable talent.

Wife and I watched the first four episodes the other night and the last four last night. The difference was night and day. The first four were subtle as it tried to come across as a semi-serious thriller/mystery with some schtick thrown. The last four episodes just smashed you over the head with off-the-wall sequences. It’s like the first four episodes were written/directed by an entirely different team than the last four.
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 4:00 PM, Mach 1 said:

I'm digging the old Seinfeld episodes.  I was too busy working and chasing pussy when it had it's run, so I only caught an episode here and there.

What I've learned is Larry David is a goddamn genius.  Between this and Curbed, I'm astounded by his bottomless amount of creativity.  He comes up with so many ridiculous, and hilarious, scenarios that brush up against being unbelievable, yet never seem to cross the line.

Respeck.

Supposedly he and Jerry hired new writers for each season and had them tell stories about the most absurd things they've ever seen.  Lots of the episodes came from that.  Still genius, though.

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Supposedly he and Jerry hired new writers for each season and had them tell stories about the most absurd things they've ever seen.  Lots of the episodes came from that.  Still genius, though.

That is right out of the real J. Peterman buying stories.

Are they the full episodes?  The ones that run on TBS (comedy central now?) have a minute or two edited out.

I'm likely behind on this one, but last night we watched The Railway Man (Colin Firth/Nicole Kidman). Lord have mercy, that was not an easy relaxing watch. That's what I get for not paying more attention to the trailer. Not Firth's best flick in his extensive catalogue, but I wasn't aware of the story so we read a little more about Lomax after it ended. Amazed that after those beatings and all, the soldier lived a long life.

On 1/22/2022 at 5:21 PM, Sbbruin said:

I thought some of his older stuff was pretty funny.  

watched Nate Bargatze’s new special, and thought it was funny as hell.

Thank you so much for this post.  I'd never heard of the guy.  My family and I have just about heard every one of Gaffigan's bits about 20 times.  Bargatze may be even funnier = especially being from TN, where my wife is from.

On 2/12/2022 at 5:12 PM, Not a cat said:

Watching inventing Anna.  Haven't decided if it's good or not but just realized the con woman is played by Ruth from Ozark.  She must like playing fucked up accents

She is not a subtle actress, for sure.  I can’t figure out what this accent is supposed to be.  Her character is a chameleon, so I guess it’s supposed to be all over the place.  

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

She is not a subtle actress, for sure.  I can’t figure out what this accent is supposed to be.  Her character is a chameleon, so I guess it’s supposed to be all over the place.  

that was something that stood out from the original delvey articles. nobody could figure out where she was really from because her accent was so inconsistent. 

On 2/12/2022 at 5:12 PM, Not a cat said:

Watching inventing Anna.  Haven't decided if it's good or not but just realized the con woman is played by Ruth from Ozark.  She must like playing fucked up accents

18 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

17 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

that was something that stood out from the original delvey articles. nobody could figure out where she was really from because her accent was so inconsistent. 

I'm about 3/4 through it and going to finish tonight.  I hate her so much.  I'm really just finishing it in the hopes that she somehow dies.

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

This would make a really great Netflix series. This will be another Tomb Raider movie.

No way they can incorporate even 10% of the first Bioshock game concepts and situations in a 2 hour movie.

I would like a Bioshock Infinite series.  I think it could be done well, but yeah, this will be Tomb Raider bad.

I'll stick to Disenchanted's Steamland episodes.

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

End of the Anna movie is infuriating. It’s like Tinder Swindler, Theranos, and Catch Me If You Can all rolled into one. Why the fuck do these seemingly smart people fall for these obvious con artists?

The chance at money and/or poontang is kryptonite for 90% of the population.  

Edited by CooterBrown

On 2/12/2022 at 7:58 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Thank you so much for this post.  I'd never heard of the guy.  My family and I have just about heard every one of Gaffigan's bits about 20 times.  Bargatze may be even funnier = especially being from TN, where my wife is from.

You are going to really enjoy going back through his old stuff, because a lot of it is brilliant.  The whole record "yelled at by a clown" is on YouTube.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

20 bucks a month has me re-evaluating my Netflix sub for some reason.  Maybe it is because Disney+ is so comparatively cheaper.

I'll probably keep it, but seems steep.

That and HBO is constantly putting out top notch new content.

At the end of the day though, even with multiple streaming services, still far cheaper than what I paid 10+ years ago for cable TV, and with a massive selection of content.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That and HBO is constantly putting out top notch new content.

At the end of the day though, even with multiple streaming services, still far cheaper than what I paid 10+ years ago for cable TV, and with a massive selection of content.

Yeah, my lists of things to watch are huge and I really never get to them all.   You're right about cable.

15 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

20 bucks a month has me re-evaluating my Netflix sub for some reason.  Maybe it is because Disney+ is so comparatively cheaper.

I'll probably keep it, but seems steep.

Netflix is approaching the border, but I don't know how someone could replace it with Disney+.  I have both as well, but I can't get my entertainment jollies just on Star Wars/Marvel paraphernalia.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Netflix is approaching the border, but I don't know how someone could replace it with Disney+.  I have both as well, but I can't get my entertainment jollies just on Star Wars/Marvel paraphernalia.

For sure.  Although some of the nature stuff on Disney+ has been nice as well.   Someone shared their HBO max with me, so I have that and it isn't costing me anything..   Also have about 1/2 a year left of 'free' AppleTV+ from buying an iPhone.  And then there is Amazon Prime.   I got FuelTV+ b/c I like that kind of 'action sport' programming (also use the free RedBull TV app on Apple).   And if baseball decides to have a season this year I'll most likely be watching that during the warmer months.  

All that said, my wife's main viewing is all Netflix, so I'm keeping it.  Just needless bitching on my part I guess.