Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

For what’s on (or not) Netflix, it’s a bit much bc they keep cancelling shit 

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

And we'll all keep habitually paying for it as long as they keep making at least one movie a month with A-list actors phoning it in and the occasional decent action set piece, lying to ourselves that we would have paid to see it in theaters.

It's still somewhat worth if you have kids.

Or your spouse loves Korean dramas.

Netflix is still better than any other platform. It’s not really even close right now imo. They put out tons of original content. From shows, to standup, to movies, to documentaries. They cover all bases. 

Amazon Prime and HBO Max have some really great top tier shows but they don’t churn out the volume. 

Disney is great for a couple Marvel Shows and Star Wars shows. That’s about it.

Hulu is decent. 

On 1/15/2022 at 11:51 AM, Post Oak said:

We've traded one entertainment overlord for another 

At least you can cancel your service without contract penalty and take it with you without waiting for some technician to show up between 8A-8P to set it up at your new home.

Not thrilled about the price increases, but it's still a good value (for me) for now

• Hook 'Em 5

On 1/15/2022 at 5:45 PM, Neonmoon said:

Netflix is still better than any other platform. It’s not really even close right now imo. They put out tons of original content. From shows, to standup, to movies, to documentaries. They cover all bases. 

Amazon Prime and HBO Max have some really great top tier shows but they don’t churn out the volume. 

Hulu is decent. 

Clearly you don't watch Bluey. Disney+ and Paranount+ are both worth it if you have young children. The original content is just icing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Netflix disc subscription has been a good value for me.  My queue has been about 30 titles deep for the past couple of years.  Newish movies that don't make it to the streaming side plus a lot more old movies and tv series.

I had no idea they still had a disc subscription.

You have a landline phone don’t you?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, bernorange said:

Netflix disc subscription has been a good value for me.  My queue has been about 30 titles deep for the past couple of years.  Newish movies that don't make it to the streaming side plus a lot more old movies and tv series.

I mean I do miss the selection of old movies I couldn’t find anywhere else back then, but I’m pretty sure most of those are available on their streaming service no.  Maybe not?   If you live in anartica or something I’m sure it’s an amazing service. 

Edited by Hook1997

Hulu is decent. 

I can't really agree.  I think it was the best streaming service for years but has gotten progressively worse with original content while other platforms have stepped up their game.  At this point I don't really watch one more than the other, but Hulu is at least an equal to Netflix for me.  I like that a ton of stuff on regular TV/cable can be watched on Hulu a day or so after it airs.  Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max are all top tier and basically equals for me. 

I like Marvel and Star Wars okay, but not enough to justify owning Disney+ when it seems like that's the biggest selling point for the service for an adult without kids at home.  

10 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I mean I do miss the selection of old movies I couldn’t find anywhere else back then, but I’m pretty sure most of those are available on their streaming service no.  Maybe not?   If you live in anartica or something I’m sure it’s an amazing service. 

My in-laws still have the DVD service, and it's pretty surprising how much is not available for streaming.

Shit, we had to get the Ghostbusters DVDs from the library for my oldest to watch, because we couldn't find it on a decently-priced streaming service.

I too feel as if Netflix is slowly losing content that I care about.  That being said, if the ads shown by CBS during the Cowboy game yesterday are any indication, I'm not missing a damn thing on network tv.  Holy cow the shows are bad.  I think The Amazing Race may be the only thing we watch on the networks at this point, save some sports content.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

My in-laws still have the DVD service, and it's pretty surprising how much is not available for streaming.

Shit, we had to get the Ghostbusters DVDs from the library for my oldest to watch, because we couldn't find it on a decently-priced streaming service.

It's $3.99 for a rental on Amazon or Apple TV.   The JustWatch app shows it is currently free to stream on DirectTV and FreeForm.

What exactly would be decently priced if $0-4 doesn't cut it?

On 1/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, TonyTexas said:

Cheer season 2 drops tomorrow. 

Just starting it. My wife and I both somehow missed the shocking arrest of one of Season 1's beloved characters. (Don't click if you don't want it spoiled, though I assume it was talked about somewhere on Shaggy). Apparently it is the subject of episode 5 this season.

Watched the first episode of Archive 81 last night. Interesting premise that looks like it'll hopefully set up a nice storyline.

A contemporary New York City archivist who specializes in restoring and digitizing old film is hired by a mysterious corporation to restore some film that was damaged in a fire that destroyed a (haunted?) apartment building in the early- to mid-1990s. The film had been taped by a NYU grad student who was documenting a unique community of people living in it. The set up is he has to live alone in that corporation's remote small satellite office in the Catskills which has only been used for storage since the 1980s and happens to be where the film is kept, and his only reliable communication with the outside world is through a landline phone (no internet/spotty cell service).

Pretty good, spooky start.

Edit: Looks like there's already a thread for it.

Edited by bolverk

16 hours ago, Bartles said:

Just starting it. My wife and I both somehow missed the shocking arrest of one of Season 1's beloved characters. (Don't click if you don't want it spoiled, though I assume it was talked about somewhere on Shaggy). Apparently it is the subject of episode 5 this season.

Watching it now.  I'm just finding Season 2 depressing.  Between Covid and the arrest and other things making it clear just how fucked up the program is, the season is a beating.

39 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Watching it now.  I'm just finding Season 2 depressing.  Between Covid and the arrest and other things making it clear just how fucked up the program is, the season is a beating.

I think season 2 is even better than 1 The inclusion of Navarro’s rival and the cautionary tales of the price of fame added depth to the storylines. 

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I'm also watching Maid even though it just depresses me.

I really had to push through to finish Maid.  It felt like a it could have been a movie rather than a series.  Or they could have at least trimmed a few episodes of fat off.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:35 AM, Harrison Bergeron said:

I'm a little tardy but have been watching Harlan Coben's shows on Netflix - Stay Close. 

Started this last night (watched the first episode) after seeing a segment on the Today show about it.  Not sure if I can hang on.  SWMBO didn't seem to like it much.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2022 at 1:02 PM, abuelo gringo said:

Really enjoyed Stay Close.  It was a little confusing at first, with all the different plot lines with the different characters.  After wife and I got used to the characters and began to see their roles, it proved to be well done.

We're big James Nesbitt and Jo Joyner fans, and the cast contains several other solid British TV regulars.

Hulu is decent. 

It is going to interesting to see how Netflix performs over the next 3-5 years. I has assumed a significant amount of debt to fund getting ahead of the competition from an original content perspective. Given its current subscriber growth rates and regular new entrants, not sure if it can keep up the pace especially without the benefit of larger corporate parent. If it has to pare down its original content not sure what it differentiation play is, and that might limit its ability to make a big play for the NFL, college sports, etc., which could be an additional subscriber headwind. Assuming a lot of its growth will be international but guessing those economics are not exactly the same as the U.S.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit, never played the videogame, but this looks like something right out of Max Fleischer or the 1930s or 40s.

If you're into punishing bullet hell games, Cuphead really is excellent. It's also on damn near every platform, worth picking up imo. The art in the game is fantastic and lovingly made

On 1/15/2022 at 4:42 PM, XYZ said:

“The nightingale”, highly recommended…if your thing is watching women and children being raped and murdered. Over and over.

I know right?! One of the more graphic depictions of rape, child murder Ive seen, at times kind of disturbing, but overall not a bad movie....took me a while to figure what country they were in. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I suppose i should know this, is the Disc program a part of the Netflix sub price or is it an add-on fee ?  How do you return them once you have finished watching?

It costs a little more than the lowest tier streaming subscription.  Discs come in mail and are returned in mail.  They provide mailer envelope.  You don't have to worry with stamps/postage. 

I average 1 disc per week.  4 per month for a few bucks more than just streaming.  You can adjust your sub adding or removing disc service at any time.  You aren't locked into a contract.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

I know right?! One of the more graphic depictions of rape, child murder Ive seen, at times kind of disturbing, but overall not a bad movie....took me a while to figure what country they were in. 

Thanks for the rec so I won't accidentally watch it.

• Hook 'Em 1