Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

12 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Him and Blake Lively are the best Hollywood couple going. Their Twitter and Instagram feeds are hilarious. 

They are fabulous, I agree. I don't have social accounts, but I've seen enough of bits and pieces and yes, they've got some wit.

Also, it's often remarked that Hugh Jackman is one of the nicest people in entertainment, and the relationship that he and Ryan Reynolds have is great to see. Nice guys are the realest men in my book.

Love on the Spectrum - US Edition. Haven't watched yet, but I will. Show follows young autistic adults dating and getting coaching on how to connect/find a partner. The original series is good, and is Australian. It's just some reality whatever, but it's a sweet show and they hit the mark of not at all having fun at expense of the subjects or anything remotely like that.

• Like 2

Love on the Spectrum - US Edition. Haven't watched yet, but I will. Show follows young autistic adults dating and getting coaching on how to connect/find a partner. The original series is good, and is Australian. It's just some reality whatever, but it's a sweet show and they hit the mark of not at all having fun at expense of the subjects or anything remotely like that.

We just finished it; it’s just six eps, and it’s very good. We liked the originals better but we’re amazed a US version got made without a ton of wokeness criticism.

The show has taught me a lot about these folks who have these conditions and how they and their loved ones cope with this part of their lives. They are the most genuine people actually on a “finding love” show I’ve ever seen and you really root for them to find some happiness.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/14/2022 at 9:44 AM, Tylerocks said:

Finished Vikings Valhalla last night.  Agree with the above on the double-crossing etc.. But it was solid.  Queen Emma is hot.

We're a couple/three episodes in on Pieces of Her.  I like it, my wife isn't into it.  I'll keep watching on my own though.

Will finish tonight.  Wife and I have enjoyed it.  I've really liked Toni Collette's acting.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/22/2022 at 6:54 PM, Scraps said:

More of the Letterman show dropped....i skipped to the KD episode...not bad.

Will smith, eilish, KD, elaine from seinfeld, ryan reynolds and someone else i am forgetting off the top of my head is in this rotation

Edit- it is Cardi B

Returning to this for a minute. We pick and choose the ones in which we have an interest. We went back to season 1 and rewatched Tina Fey, which is one of the episodes we really enjoyed.

Just binge-watched Anatomy of a Scandal. I didn't expect to even like it but the acting (Sienna Miller, Rupert Friend, Michelle Dockery) was excellent and though I have a couple knits to pick, the script was very good. Based on the description I thought it was going to be a run-of-the-mill politician has an affair story but it was much more. Some excellent good cross-exam in the court room scenes too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 10:43 AM, Texzilla58 said:

We just finished it; it’s just six eps, and it’s very good. We liked the originals better but we’re amazed a US version got made without a ton of wokeness criticism.

The show has taught me a lot about these folks who have these conditions and how they and their loved ones cope with this part of their lives. They are the most genuine people actually on a “finding love” show I’ve ever seen and you really root for them to find some happiness.

Michael needs his own TV show

• Hook 'Em 1

We started watching Resurrection: Ertugrul.  It's a Turkish series based on Turkish history circa 1200 AD.  Turkish language with English subtitles.

Some of the characters (especially the villians) are cartoonishlishly over the top, but others are well acted and interesting.  The plot twists and turns and since I don't know Turkish history, I'm finding it holding my attention.

On 5/26/2022 at 1:06 PM, Chopper said:

I have a couple knits to pick

*nits

Just started watching The Lincoln Lawyer. Was he Hispanic in the novels? I've only seen the McConaughey film and this accent is very distracting.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

No he wasn’t Latino. He was of LA legal royalty, very Anglo. Half brother is Harry Bosch.

Knew the Bosh connection, but not his backstory. In the series they say his Mother raised him in Mexico City. Again, not sure if that jives with the books, or just a convenient way to explain his accent. But the way he slips in and out of it is distracting af.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Knew the Bosh connection, but not his backstory. In the series they say his Mother raised him in Mexico City. Again, not sure if that jives with the books, or just a convenient way to explain his accent. But the way he slips in and out of it is distracting af.

I'm not sure what to think of that.  I'm generally for better representation of "minorities" in TV and movies, but it kind of irks me when they change up fundamental stuff for that purpose.  I tend to be rather doctrinaire about faithfulness to source material.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not sure what to think of that.  I'm generally for better representation of "minorities" in TV and movies, but it kind of irks me when they change up fundamental stuff for that purpose.  I tend to be rather doctrinaire about faithfulness to source material.

Agree. I’m all for more stories from across our diverse set of immigration experiences and life in our society but I hate artificial diversity of historical or natural elements for the sake of wokeness. Sorry there weren’t any black Pilgrims, or openly gay members of Lincoln’s cabinet, or whatever. I haven’t watched LL yet and can’t believe Connelly agreed to that change to the main character.

On 5/8/2022 at 8:09 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Would someone please watch the pentaverate and report back if there’s any bit of cleverness to it or just indulging Myers for content. 

He does a large variety of character and if you like him doing characters, you’ll like it.  He’s still really good at playing multiple characters.    It’s very lightweight and the episodes were short.

His take on Alex Jones is…something that needs to be explored in its own series…

Don’t skip Jeremy Irons’ intros.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He does a large variety of character and if you like him doing characters, you’ll like it.  He’s still really good at playing multiple characters.    It’s very lightweight and the episodes were short.

His take on Alex Jones is…something that needs to be explored in its own series…

Don’t skip Jeremy Irons’ intros.

Those intros were the best part of the series, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, RPM said:

you get used to it. sort of. 

Started watching the new gervais special, he’s one of my all-time favorite comedians. Turned it off after 20 minutes when it seemed like it was just going to be another older comedian whining about PC culture. 

Lot of valid points made, it’s just pretty played out and unoriginal now and I had no interest in watching it for an hour. 

On 5/31/2022 at 8:12 PM, Helobious said:

Started watching the new gervais special, he’s one of my all-time favorite comedians. Turned it off after 20 minutes when it seemed like it was just going to be another older comedian whining about PC culture. 

Lot of valid points made, it’s just pretty played out and unoriginal now and I had no interest in watching it for an hour. 

yeah, it sucks watching someone making valid points that you disagree with.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Really recommend the new docs Keep Sweet and Gladbeck, both mentioned above. Both are shocking and disturbing in their own ways, and both have plenty of original footage and photos to really take us into those worlds.

Cliff notes: Fundamentalist LDS are evil monsters...and 80s Germans were incredibly chill about just hanging out and smoking with armed perpetrators of an active hostage situation.