How Is That Chain Still Open?

On 11/16/2018 at 3:31 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

I kinda agree. we had like 5   8yo kids over once a couple of years ago and it was prefect. And I will still eat the hell out of the crazy bread

Soccer tournament this weekend.  Late games @ 520pm and 840 pm.  Grabbed 15 pizzas from there, tailgated between games.  Badaboom.  

44 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Fuck it

OG rules. What lacks flavor in their entrees they make up in salad, bread sticks and delicious iced tea.

41 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

The last few times I’ve had the SSB, the Salad was wilted and brown and the soup was watery and tasteless; the breadsticks are still on point though.

The breadsticks were the only reason why I would go to Olive Garden

Or you could just not go to Olive Garden because it sucks.  Instead of eating at fast casual shitholes once a week, do what adults do---eat at a greasy dive and a high-end local joint instead.  It balances out and you don't have to be ashamed.  

11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Fucking midwesterners

Don't throw the whole Midwest into that shit pile.

South Des Moines is an Italian enclave that's still run by the mob.  That whole end of town is littered with great family owned Italian joints.  The kind of places where they have back rooms, and you routinely hear people conversing in Italian.

I lived in Des Moines from '08-'12 and ever since I refuse to step foot in an Olive Garden.

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Burger King. Their nuggets that are like 10 for $1 might be some of the worst food mankind has created.

I've always thought of Burger King as a yankee thing, like Pepsi.  I can't think of a single Texan I grew up with that ever ate at Burger King, or ever drank Pepsi.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PantsTent said:

It's been a while but $1 whoppers were a thing during my utee98 days.

Yeah, I guess I could see it as a cheap college food option.  I just went to Taco Bell instead for $.59 tacos and burritos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, housious said:

Plus, I'm told that Cheddar's has a three drink limit

I never eat anything at Cheddar's other than the chips and queso with my alcoholic drinks but their bar is awesome for low cost simple buzz fuel. Love to get a couple of painkillers every now and then. 

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

I'll occasionally hit BK for a Whopper, but that's about the only food item I'll order at that place.

Not a huge fan of ketchup/mayo on a burger but it works on a whopper for me. 

Never liked Cheddar’s but wife and jr liked their pecan chicken salad, we walked out of the one in pville due to poor service.  

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

I've always thought of Burger King as a yankee thing, like Pepsi.  I can't think of a single Texan I grew up with that ever ate at Burger King, or ever drank Pepsi.

Pepsi is actually from coastal Carolina. It is typically the drink of choice at pulled pork restaurants that style themselves as "BBQ" though, of course, I never frequent such places owing to the fact that they suck.

Meanwhile, why is it called "Waffle House" when their waffles suck? "Hash Brown House" would more accurately describe the thing they actually do well.

Edited by Walden Ponderer

Good point on the TCBY by campus.  I drive by that thing probably 6-10x a week and never see anyone there.  Maybe 1 or 2 cars in the lot, figure they have to be employees.  Nobody ever inside at the counter, nobody at the drive-thru.  And this has been the cast for the last 10+ years.  You never see anyone walking around eating one.  You never see the empty cups littered about campus or the Drag.  You never see any other TCBY's anywhere in the whole state.  And there is a proliferation of frozen yogurt, custard, popsicle, ice cream, and assorter purveyors of trendy confections.  You see all that shit everywhere, but no TCBY and nobody is ever eating inside there.  

Dammit, now I'm gonna go inside and get one next week so satiate my curiosity.  

11 hours ago, Underdog said:

Never liked Cheddar’s but wife and jr liked their pecan chicken salad, we walked out of the one in pville due to poor service.  

The Pflugerville Cheddar's is on Derka's bucket list.  Expect a separate about his experience there in the next few weeks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Pepsi is actually from coastal Carolina. It is typically the drink of choice at pulled pork restaurants that style themselves as "BBQ" though, of course, I never frequent such places owing to the fact that they suck.

Meanwhile, why is it called "Waffle House" when their waffles suck? "Hash Brown House" would more accurately describe the thing they actually do well.

I’ve often thought the same thing about IHOP, who make maybe the worst pancakes you can buy at a restaurant.

14 hours ago, Underdog said:

Never cared for BK for a good number of years but have recently revisited them of late, really like the chargrilled taste. 

Agree.  Fast food burger that actually has a chargrilled flavor.  Lived on the whopper sales on Sunday nights in FW in the 90's.

16 minutes ago, pch said:

Agree.  Fast food burger that actually has a chargrilled flavor.  Lived on the whopper sales on Sunday nights in FW in the 90's.

Taco Bell and BK had good deals for us poors who were in college in the 80's and 90's.

I could have a Whooper, fries and a small drink with free refills  for under $2.   Same goes for Taco Bell with three tacos and small drink. 

But the best thing was to wait for the HEB deli to close at get a dozen pieces of fried chicken for $4.   That was preferable.

I've been a few times to Taco Bell with my boys when they were pre teens/teens and  if they had friends along,  it was cheaper to feed those food hogs that stuff vs. going to Whataburger or a sit down/order off a menu  place.     If they said Taco Bell, then I would  find the nearest one and let them have at it while I watched and maybe had some nachos. 

Wife wanted TB last night after work and I got KFC, good Lord KFC has gotten so damn expensive.  It would have been cheaper to get one of the expensive family meals instead of one of their meal deals, but I didn't want to be eating fried chicken all weekend. 

Speaking of fried chicken, Cracker Barrel has surprisingly good FC. 

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I’ve often thought the same thing about IHOP, who make maybe the worst pancakes you can buy at a restaurant.

I've always wondered about the "International" part, too. I mean, how often have you gone there and marveled over the Pakistani waffles, Singaporean pancakes, Salvadoran bacon, or Tunisian poached eggs?

• Haha 1