How Is That Chain Still Open?

Steamed burgers are good shit, have hit a couple of places in CT that serve them that way.  

Thanks to this thread, hit up Chili’s last night after work and good Lord that shit sucked something fierce, never again.  Chips were oily and had an aftertaste, salsa was salty, burger bland despite having guac,cheese and peppers on it.  The place was packed though. 

19 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Also, apropos to the thread: ANY and EVERY fast-food Chinese chain. Panda Express, etc.

Do you have any clue how easy home-cooked Chinese food is? 

• Put rinsed white rice in rice cooker with water, wait 30 minutes
  • when rice cooker beeps (it done), throw chopped veggies in oiled-up wok on super-high heat with oil, chopped garlic and salt, cook until wilted
  • Dump veggies into bowl #1, put chopped meat with salt and sugar into same wok until done and dump into bowl #2
  • get bowls/plates, and then either spoon out the rice/food onto each one or go family style

total cook time once the rice is done: 10 minutes maybe. Chop time takes a bit sometimes if you're using a shitty knife.

Tastes better than any fast-food restaurant, takes less time than the drive there and back, and is fuuuuucking cheap. Like the whole meal will cost ya maybe $5, and that's the meat.

Only downside is that the meat/veggies have to be eaten right away. They make crap leftovers, although they can taste decent for lunch the next day with a little hot sauce or paprika. Leftover rice can either be turned into porridge for breakfast the next day or frozen for microwaving later.

Appreciate the effort to save money and all, but this really doesn’t seem like it has any more flavor than Panda Express.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Appreciate the effort to save money and all, but this really doesn’t seem like it has any more flavor than Panda Express.

5 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

So, you saved me $3 but cost me the better part of an hour of my life. I choose the shitty takeout.

What y'all are saying is tantamount to saying a steak at Denny's doesn't have any more flavor than a steak you bought at HEB and smoked/cooked properly on your grill at home. Shit, dude, why not just eat steaks at Denny's, then?

Seriously, y'all...

Edited by Rimbo

Whenever I see a Chinese food recipe I like it takes a shit ton of crap that I never have in my pantry and would have to buy which would end up being a lot more money and trouble than just getting take out somewhere. Plenty of good places that deliver around my house too.

Oh and I like Panda Express' Orange Chicken.

the stuff you get at panda express tastes better than what you can make at home.  start with the wok.  no normal american home is going to have a stove that can come close to producing the same amount of heat needed to generate a true wok fry experience.  next, you're not going to have the same number of sides to choose from.  and if you get an entree that had to be battered and fried before being stir fried, you're not going to do that at home in anything less than 45 minutes.  and then you have to clean up. 

WHILE NOBODY WAS PAYING ATTENTION, ARBY'S BECAME FANTASTIC

By ANDY KRYZA Published On 08/15/2018

While the world was freaking out about Doritos Locos Tacos, Arby’s was hawking brisket.

The launch of Taco Bell’s game-changing mash-up food announced to the world that the drive-thru wouldn’t be left out of the Insta craze. Suddenly, fast food was getting brasher: the undeniably delicious DLT opened floodgates that had been dammed since the Double Down made its quick splash back in 2010. Suddenly, the world was thrown into a cacophony of brash excess: Mac & cheese was rolled in Cheetos and fried at Burger King. Jack in the Box threw double cheeseburgers between grilled cheeses. Value meals became value boxes, transforming chicken sandwiches and nuggets into side dishes to be served alongside burgers and fries.

And while all this was happening, Arby’s quietly toiled away, ignoring the trend of being flashier, louder, bigger, and wilder. Slowly, surely, and without a lot of fuss, Arby’s became great....

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/arbys-restaurant-best-fast-food-chain

And while all this was happening, Arby’s quietly toiled away, ignoring the trend of being flashier, louder, bigger, and wilder. Slowly, surely, and without a lot of fuss, Arby’s became great.

I wouldn't describe the "We have the meats!" media blitz as anything remotely quiet. Or without a lot of fuss. I'd say it's "flashier, louder, bigger, and wilder" than any other recent ad campaign of theirs that I can remember. 

I'm not about to try their "brisket."

Aye, agreed, it's like so much better than Krystal's (tried it in Memphis)...

We used to play a game leaving Tunica. We would stop at Krystal and get a sack full of gut bombs. The first one that had to pullover to shit lost. 3 hours is a long time when your trying to keep from shitting yourself.
  • Haha 1

It's not, but like every other fast food place it's convenient.  I still haven't figured out how they F up fried rice, though.  I think even I could cook fried rice.

Lived around the corner from a Crystal's in Knoxville.  Trust me.  After the novelty of eating greasy sliders wears off, there is no desire to ever go there.  I know most fast food employees/cooks are a little scary.  I generally kind of try to avoid looking too much behind the counter.  That being said, Crystal's is the worst.  You just know the sanitation/disgust level is abnormally high at this particular place.

WHILE NOBODY WAS PAYING ATTENTION, ARBY'S BECAME FANTASTIC
By ANDY KRYZA Published On 08/15/2018
While the world was freaking out about Doritos Locos Tacos, Arby’s was hawking brisket.
The launch of Taco Bell’s game-changing mash-up food announced to the world that the drive-thru wouldn’t be left out of the Insta craze. Suddenly, fast food was getting brasher: the undeniably delicious DLT opened floodgates that had been dammed since the Double Down made its quick splash back in 2010. Suddenly, the world was thrown into a cacophony of brash excess: Mac & cheese was rolled in Cheetos and fried at Burger King. Jack in the Box threw double cheeseburgers between grilled cheeses. Value meals became value boxes, transforming chicken sandwiches and nuggets into side dishes to be served alongside burgers and fries.
And while all this was happening, Arby’s quietly toiled away, ignoring the trend of being flashier, louder, bigger, and wilder. Slowly, surely, and without a lot of fuss, Arby’s became great....
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/arbys-restaurant-best-fast-food-chain

Goddamit....maybe I need to hit an Arby’s today...

19 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

the stuff you get at panda express tastes better than what you can make at home.  start with the wok.  no normal american home is going to have a stove that can come close to producing the same amount of heat needed to generate a true wok fry experience.  next, you're not going to have the same number of sides to choose from.  and if you get an entree that had to be battered and fried before being stir fried, you're not going to do that at home in anything less than 45 minutes.  and then you have to clean up. 

Turkey fryer.  Works like a champ.  But yes, that is atypical.  

"The only woman I'm pimping is sweet lady propane! And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

21 hours ago, Rimbo said:

What y'all are saying is tantamount to saying a steak at Denny's doesn't have any more flavor than a steak you bought at HEB and smoked/cooked properly on your grill at home. Shit, dude, why not just eat steaks at Denny's, then?

Seriously, y'all...

I'm not saying that at all.  I can make a great steak at home.  I can make shitty Chinese food at home.  One of those is worth investing my time in, the other I'll just buy.

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

I'm not saying that at all.  I can make a great steak at home.  I can make shitty Chinese food at home.  One of those is worth investing my time in, the other I'll just buy.

You can make good Chinese food at home. It will at least be better than Panda Fucking Express.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It will be a business school case study for years to come. Just unbelievably stupid.

To add to this -- it was one of our go-to places with the family on a busy night.  Pre or post little league game, that sort of thing -- a good, at least somewhat healthy, filling meal without breaking the bank.  Everyone really liked it -- hell, it was one of my son's favorite places.  Then, they decided "let's fuck ALL THIS UP."

My son is celebrating Noon's demise today, because they killed Vert's for no good reason at all.

It's a Berlin style doner kebab place -- that should ABSOLUTELY be able to succeed in a market like Austin.  But they got big for their britches, moved their HQ to NYC....and died.