Right Wing Extremist Violence Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/crime/ohio-man-fatally-shoots-neighbor-because-he-thought-he-was-a-democrat/ar-AA13S2IP?ocid=sapphireappshare

"“I look in the backyard and that man is walking away from my husband and my husband is on the ground,” the woman told dispatchers. “He has come over like four times confronting my husband because he thought he was a Democrat, Why, why … Please, I don’t understand.”"

• Rage+1 2

24 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/crime/ohio-man-fatally-shoots-neighbor-because-he-thought-he-was-a-democrat/ar-AA13S2IP?ocid=sapphireappshare

"“I look in the backyard and that man is walking away from my husband and my husband is on the ground,” the woman told dispatchers. “He has come over like four times confronting my husband because he thought he was a Democrat, Why, why … Please, I don’t understand.”"

What's not to understand?  These people are deranged and dangerous.

• Rage+1 4

32 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Welp, this is where radical republicans are now…

$900K bond? Why even allow the suspect to get out on bond? Imagine being the wife or the son. They’ve seen the neighbor murder their husband/dad. Then they see the neighbor get out on bond and walk back into his house. That would be terrifying. He could come over at any time and murder them. The neighbor has nothing to lose at that point by murdering the only two witnesses. They couldn’t live like that.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

On 11/8/2022 at 10:19 AM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

59 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Welp, this is where radical republicans are now…

And this is why I don't put out yard signs. Also, 26 years old? I love folks who think Boomers dying solves this problem. 

1 hour ago, GenXer said:

$900K bond? Why even allow the suspect to get out on bond? Imagine being the wife or the son. They’ve seen the neighbor murder their husband/dad. Then they see the neighbor get out on bond and walk back into his house. That would be terrifying. He could come over at any time and murder them. The neighbor has nothing to lose at that point by murdering the only two witnesses. They couldn’t live like that.

Do you want answers to these questions?  We should ask Surly's foremost expert on political violence.  @clapclapclap

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 3

"The first study was conducted with 8,620 respondents drawn from the IPSOS KnowledgePaneland focused on variations associated with political party affiliation and political ideology. We found that, on the whole, Republicans were more likely than Democrats to endorse the use of physical force or violence to achieve specific political objectives. This is consistent with prior survey research and other evidence that the threat from domestic extremism arises chiefly from the right.

The second study was conducted with 7,255 respondents from that sample of 8,620 for whom information about the respondents’ party affiliation, 2020 voting information and opinion on the legitimacy of the 2020 presidential election was available. The study focused specifically on MAGA (Make America Great Again) Republicans, defined as Republicans who voted for Donald Trump in 2020 and who agreed strongly or very strongly with the statement that “the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump, and Joe Biden is an illegitimate president.” Among the respondents were 1,128 “MAGA Republicans,” 640 “strong” Republicans, 1,571 “other” Republicans and 3,916 non-Republicans (Democrats and those reporting no party affiliation).

This study addressed questions arising from two recent speeches President Biden gave in Maryland and one in Pennsylvania: Are MAGA Republicans a distinct subset of Republicans? Are they more likely than others to endorse political violence?

The answer was an emphatic “yes” in both cases."

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/politics/the-difference-between-republicans-and-maga-republicans-is-violence/ar-AA143Nc7?ocid=sapphireappshare

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"The first study was conducted with 8,620 respondents drawn from the IPSOS KnowledgePaneland focused on variations associated with political party affiliation and political ideology. We found that, on the whole, Republicans were more likely than Democrats to endorse the use of physical force or violence to achieve specific political objectives. This is consistent with prior survey research and other evidence that the threat from domestic extremism arises chiefly from the right.

The second study was conducted with 7,255 respondents from that sample of 8,620 for whom information about the respondents’ party affiliation, 2020 voting information and opinion on the legitimacy of the 2020 presidential election was available. The study focused specifically on MAGA (Make America Great Again) Republicans, defined as Republicans who voted for Donald Trump in 2020 and who agreed strongly or very strongly with the statement that “the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump, and Joe Biden is an illegitimate president.” Among the respondents were 1,128 “MAGA Republicans,” 640 “strong” Republicans, 1,571 “other” Republicans and 3,916 non-Republicans (Democrats and those reporting no party affiliation).

This study addressed questions arising from two recent speeches President Biden gave in Maryland and one in Pennsylvania: Are MAGA Republicans a distinct subset of Republicans? Are they more likely than others to endorse political violence?

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/politics/the-difference-between-republicans-and-maga-republicans-is-violence/ar-AA143Nc7?ocid=sapphireappshare

I mean, it's nice to see it polled, but file this under "Duh!"  This has been obvious to everyone for a long while.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 12:09 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

@clapclapclap  will be very interested in this scientific study!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From down the rabbit hole of the story links.

The Reichsbürger movement is made up of a number of small groups and individuals, located mainly in the states of Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania and Bavaria. They do not accept the legality of the Federal Republic of Germany's government authorities. They refuse to pay taxes and have declared their own small "national territories," which they call the "Second German Empire," the "Free State of Prussia" or the "Principality of Germania."

Most are male. On average they are over 50 years old and ascribe to right-wing populist, antisemitic and Nazi ideologies and are spread out throughout the country.  A district court judge in Saxony-Anhalt has described them as "conspiracy theorists" and "malcontents."

https://www.dw.com/en/what-is-germanys-reichsbürger-movement/a-36094740

• Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

The Reichsbürger movement is made up of a number of small groups and individuals, located mainly in the states of Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania and Bavaria. They do not accept the legality of the Federal Republic of Germany's government authorities. They refuse to pay taxes and have declared their own small "national territories," which they call the "Second German Empire," the "Free State of Prussia" or the "Principality of Germania."

Most are male. On average they are over 50 years old and ascribe to right-wing populist, antisemitic and Nazi ideologies and are spread out throughout the country.  A district court judge in Saxony-Anhalt has described them as "conspiracy theorists" and "malcontents."

fic-fguy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

What, no "Fourth Reich"?

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

What is going on with wingers around the world? Scary times indeed.

There are many factors in the current preponderance of right white extremists. They had always been around, but there was a large uptick in right wing extremists in the 90s, see Oklahoma City Bombing by Timothy McVey, Centennial Olympic Park Bombing by Eric Rudolph, etc. Actually, extremism used to be more of a left wing thing but Christian extremists became more popular after Roe, and Anti-Government extremists became more popular after weapons restriction and Ruby Ridge. 

The main factors 

The internet has allowed previously isolated and localized people/ideas/groups to not only connect but flourish. 
The repeal of the fairness doctrine has allowed right wing echo chambers to spew unfettered propaganda to millions, see Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones, Fox News, Newsmax

The snowball effect. Things gaining momentum in the US will gain momentum in other counties. Trump getting elected and promulgating hate, racism, and fascism only emboldens others around the world to do the same. You saw the rise of Le Pen, Bolsnaro, Brexit, etc. Now, this was helped by Russia’s coordinated campaign in 2014 to destabilize the west. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Imagine that being your sentencing hearing at the Hague?  

"You are guilty on all charges of global conspiracy to overthrow Western Democracies on 3 Continents.  Your choice is a German state prison or dinner at Mar-a-Lago."

"Will Eric be there?"

"Yes."

"I'll take the prison sentence, I guess."  

A Texas man who ran unsuccessfully to unseat Rep. Randy Weber (R-TX) has been arrested by federal authorities for threatening to kill him, the Houston Chronicle reported today.

Keith Douglas Casey, of Beaumont, has been charged with making a threat against a U.S. official, according to a complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the report said. Casey received 7.9% of the vote in the 2022 Republican primary. He also lost to Weber in 2016 and 2018 by wide margins.

The federal complaint against Casey alleges that in March “be began telling people he’d defeated Weber in the race for the spot — and that he was going to kill him,” the Chronicle reported. Staff members in Weber’s office first reported the matter to federal law enforcement as early as March 29, the report said.

“An office staffer told investigators they had received a call from a constituent at a radio station, who told them Casey called to report a ‘plot’ and said Weber and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott had been involved in organized crime and had stolen the election from him,” the complaint stated. It alleged Casey had shown up to the Beaumont radio station in person several times.

And there was this, according to the Chronicle:

“On Aug. 10, Casey allegedly visited the Jefferson County courthouse, where he told health officials he was a prophet and was a ‘servant of the most-high God,’ and had a meeting with the county judge, according to the complaint. Casey allegedly told a deputy he heard voices and that he’d been subject to wiretapping, according to the complaint.”

Weber is no stranger to controversy of his own. He recently was among the leading election deniers in the 2022 midterms. 

AA15eBrK.img?w=1920&h=1080&q=60&m=2&f=jp

• 2 weeks later...