Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Putin was fascinated by shock and awe.  He wanted to change how his military fought to this standard.  Well it takes the equipment and the training to shift that.  I guess he didn't want to pay the money.  He wanted the trial version and that's what he got.  It's just going to end bad for Ukraine though.  His military is gonna go back to what they know and just bludgeon them into submission.  Putin gave the withdrawal date of May.  Ukraine won't last until May without help.  Putin isn't going to leave.  It's either Ukraine or death at this point.

definitely has some aspects of it, so trial version is a great analogy!  I worry for the Ukrainians, given the fight they have put up, i can see the arguments for providing NATO support at this point.  not having thought it all the way though there is now at least a better view of how bad Russian forces are and how much less of a threat they are on the ground anyway. I hope it doesn't end as poorly as it probably will, that's going to suck.

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Back in the mid-90s, I was day drinking in Chicago in the Uke Village. There was a small dive bar that just had a sign out front in Ukranian that was phonetically converted to English and I couldn't even pretend to pronounce it. The crowd was a combination of Ukrainian/Polish immigrants and 1970's looking dudes with mullets. It was mid afternoon but the place was packed and the juke was blaring what I only assumed was Ukrainian pop music.

The bartender was this big, mean, nasty Ukrainian woman named Agnes. I've been in a million scary dive bars, but I can't ever remember fearing the bartender more than any of the patrons or the surrounding neighborhood.  She was terrifying. She took resting bitch face to a new level -- she wore a permanent scowl and spoke broken English. She informed us before we even sat down at the bar that there would be no mixers allowed. And by no mixers, that also included ice. You drank vodka. Straight. And we did. And she did. After 2-3 hours we could barely walk out of there and she probably downed twice as many shots as we had. She acted like it was water, "Shut up pussy, drink!," over and over and over, in the thickest, Eastern European accent you can imagine.

Anyway.... all I can think of during this whole mess is that you've got to be the dumbest motherfucker in the world to invade a country full of Agneses. 

Just admit it, you went home with Agnes, didn't you? She treat you gentle? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Churchill: “Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.”  (If you haven't watch "Darkest Hour", do so.)

Thank's to you all for the updates on Ukraine fighting for their lives while the rest of the world sends their hopes & prayers.

I also am disgusted for many reasons:

In the 90's, Ukraine became independent and the third-largest nuclear power in the world, w/ thousands of nuclear arms on its soil from Moscow. In the years that followed, Ukraine made the decision to denuclearize completely in exchange for a security guarantee from the U.S., the U.K. and Russia.

One of the three brutally attacks while the other two watch from the best seats in the house. 

Nuclear non-proliferation is DEAD.  Good luck on convincing any body else (Iran, N. Korea) to give up their nuclear programs. 

"...I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson

My, how the mighty have fallen.

I still see the value in staying out of this but as the Russians falter and the Ukranians hold their own, the arguments for joining them are more clear.  Not saying (yet) we should but it's not as clear cut as it was 3 days ago.

so question for the smarties - what's the chance that there are substantial US covert operations in Ukraine right now?  does the US step up their efforts behind the scenes on this fight now that the Russians have proven to be beatable with a force that's not even close to on par with the US or even other western allies?  I know troops won't be sent, that's a non-starter (arguments can be made why we should), but what about further support behind the scenes, and plausible deniability at our involvment?

edit - just saw the statement more air defense weaponry coming to Ukraine.

@956 Worldwide@FartingMonk@InkaUtexas@atomheartbevo

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Doesn't seem like we think this thing is ending tonight...

Also moving troops to Eastern Europe, though it’s unclear which country is being given troops. 

This, along with heavier sanctions, is the correct way to avoid WW3 and show that NATO still stands strong. Let Russia bleed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, troph said:

so question for the smarties - what's the chance that there are substantial US covert operations in Ukraine right now?  does the US step up their efforts behind the scenes on this fight now that the Russians have proven to be beatable with a force that's not even close to on par with the US or even other western allies?  I know troops won't be sent, that's a non-starter (arguments can be made why we should), but what about further support behind the scenes, and plausible deniability at our involvment?

They are there and they have Ukrainian identities.  Probably an extremely small group like less than 100 total

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I'm no geography expert, but how does Moldova wind up with a tanker ship?

They do straddle the Danube River for a short distance, so they may have a port there.

Edit: Really small

2022-02-25 10_01_05-Moldova - Google Maps.png

Edited by 27-25
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, troph said:

what can they be expected to be able to do for the Ukrainians?  what's their likely role?

Advise, command and control, provide insight into on the ground situation. hell, even up to protecting certain people and getting them out if need be. There are a lot of roles for them. Doubt they engage in active fighting, but they will have the capacity to defend themselves 

• Hook 'Em 2

Good luck with that.  We are still dealing with a threat that killed 300X more Americans than died on 9/11.....and the process of dealing with that threat only divided us further.  We have the expected mouthpieces stating admiration and empathy for our madman adversary as we speak.
We are irreparably broken on this.  I wish we weren't, but we are.

Not irreparable. But it will take a concerted effort to bump education as a priority, enact the fairness doctrine, and weed out traitors pushing propaganda and public shaming/exile of them.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Advise, command and control, provide insight into on the ground situation. hell, even up to protecting certain people and getting them out if need be. There are a lot of roles for them. Doubt they engage in active fighting, but they will have the capacity to defend themselves 

Yep.  I have no doubt those dudes were involved in repelling that helo landing yesterday.  The stringer fire was way too precise.  Those helos would have broke formation and turned around if a stinger got fired early.  Told those dudes to wait.  That takes a lot of discipline

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Not wanting to get killed seems to be a human instinct. 

6 minutes ago, brakeman said:

fuck these guys.

so this wasnt a random event.   If you watched the "ambush" video posted about 5/6 pages back the tank running over the car is literally the direct result of that ambush video.

in the ambush video at the very end, you see  2 or 3 russian armored vehicles drive by and not stop  and then you see one stop, and run down a car.... thats literally the same event posted above from a different angle.

so the tracked vehicle probably retaliated by running over the car  ( which, btw, we have video evidence that the driver not only survived, but was basically unharmed- again 6/8 pages back)

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

This is right up Delta’s alley. 

Easy mistake for a civilian though. More than a few good NCOs seem like Generals.

Dude the 3 up, one down more than a clue and that bright blue ribbon is fairly distinguished as well.

Mistaking the Lieutenant Colonel from a Major is understandable.

Stripes vs stars is German bombing Pearl Harbor.

I have never served nor has anyone in my immediate family.

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй