Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i don't think severe sanctions get anything done unfortunately. but i agree, you at least make them as severe as possible.

no physical involvement until US physical assets (persons, territories) are under attack.

it's a better middle ground than handwavey jawboning and rhetoric.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Really have to take these numbers with a grain of salt, but I bet we see some numbers from the US or UK intel tonight that'll give a better picture and show some substantial losses. 

I agree, but it is clear Russia doesn't have air control yet and they don't have any of the cities, that certainly means a lot of Russian losses. Otherwise, they'd have those things already.

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

China is in favor of this. Don’t get twisted, when China talks about territorial integrity, that only applies to China and whatever it wants to be China.  Ask India, Vietnam, and the Philippines about China respecting territorial integrity and sovereign— it’s not just Taiwan.

A world where if you’re bigger and meaner you take what you want is a world that suits China. 

And a prayer for far-left anti-Americans learning that there’s something worse than U.S. hegemony today. 

Different but I'm not sure the familes of the hundreds of thousands to millions of dead middle easterners because of American bullshit would agree with you. 

Humans are mostly good and can get along well enough but the egotistical psychopaths that rise to power within groups of humans are the most vile and evil shit. USA not excluded. 

56 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

All US contracts with Indian companies and H1B visas are cancelled tomorrow. FAFO.

That’d be great. I might even have the courage to call AT&T tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I agree, but it is clear Russia doesn't have air control yet and they don't have any of the cities, that certainly means a lot of Russian losses. Otherwise, they'd have those things already.

I'm shocked they don't have air superiority yet. Seriously, that should have been a given from the start. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i don't think severe sanctions get anything done unfortunately. but i agree, you at least make them as severe as possible.

but @BabaYaga, what specifically do you think we should do? @Cheeseweasel?

As stated, we're NOT going to commit to direct action in a non-NATO country.  This leaves logistics and support for the Uke's.  Hardware.  Light infantry weapons.  Heard NVG's have been sent over.  That's huge if true.

I think the limitations of the Russian initial surge are a precursor of much more pain to come once they try to occupy the country.  They will try to shore up the borders and ports.  This is why time is so critical in getting supplies INTO Ukraine now.  

On the political front.  Bleed Russia.  Focus on currency, reserves, and exports.  Putin may be focused on his legacy, but his billionaires are not.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 6

26 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I don't want another 9-11, but I damn sure want another 9-12 when we came together

Came together to shit all over Arab Americans and anyone who looked like they could possibly be an Arab American. At that time I was in high school and two of my best friends were Lebanese and let's say going out to eat or to hang at the mall with them after that day was an experience in the worst of human nature. 

Besides, what does Americ have to rally around now? Other than nuclear destruction and duping the dumbest Americans with propaganda Russia poses no threat to us. They can't even properly overrun a small country on their border for fucks sake. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

As stated, we're going to commit to direct action in a non-NATO country.  This leaves logistics and support for the Uke's.  Hardware.  Light infantry weapons.  Heard NVG's have been sent over.  That's huge if true.

I think the limitations of the Russian initial surge are a precursor of much more pain to come once they try to occupy the country.  They will try to shore up the borders and ports.  This is why time is so critical in getting supplies INTO Ukraine now.  

On the political front.  Bleed Russia.  Focus on currency, reserves, and exports.  Putin may be focused on his legacy, but his billionaires are not.  

Yeah the goal of America and Nato now is what Russia's goal was for the last 20 years against the US. Make it a quagmire of shit that goes on and on weakening them and forces them to look terrible and finally admit defeat and slink back to Russia. Just like we did over the last couple of years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

You make good points for sure, and I don't really know on one level why that wouldn't be tried.  I'm trying to walk a tightrope here, I'm not excusing Euro countries of being too self-centered, but I do know that no other area in the world has such tight-quartered, very different cultural mentalities all squeezed within a very small area relatively speaking, and from millenia of "kill or be killed" I try to understand their point of view, which is something like "preserve us first, or there's nothing to preserve" - and this isn't just IMO but from doing my cultural studies in my academics.  However, I don't know how much the "modern age" has changed this but I do think it's very hard for us to understand why many of these Euro countries say... "well HELL YEAH!  Er, but first, well except for this..." but I do think it has some roots in the geopolitik I mentioned earlier.  I guess the carrot I'm giving them is they've been decimated so much in the last 110 years that it's natural for them to seek their own self-preservation.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's something not intrinsically understood by Americans - in my opinion.  Shrug?

I hear you, not arguing at all.  just talking.  seeing dozens of countries react through NATO though is pretty cool.  hopefully NATO continues to activate and respond.  Can't hate that the US has to do it all and then get mad when France is in the lead for the currently NATO deployment.  US will do what the US does, but that's a good thing, both of them.  I think NATO is a godsend right now and I hope the Swedes and Finnish people join asap.

If the Russians are starting to talk about negotiations, even if it’s mixed messages, it means they are starting to question how much urban warfare in Khiv and Karkiv they can stomach. It’s looking increasingly like he’s going to have to commit conscripts and grind this thing out if he wants to win.  Not sure how valuable Ukraine is if you have to destroy its urban centers and put the entire population under your gun barrel 

7 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I’ll try to find the Twitter thread, but basically none of the invasion has followed their military doctrine.  It’s puzzling.

I feel like it has to be because he wants the country intact when he takes it.  you'd typically shell the place for longer before you go in to soften up everything, i feel like, but they fired an hour's worth of rockets then started the march in.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, troph said:

I hear you, not arguing at all.  just talking.  seeing dozens of countries react through NATO though is pretty cool.  hopefully NATO continues to activate and respond.  Can't hate that the US has to do it all and then get mad when France is in the lead for the currently NATO deployment.  US will do what the US does, but that's a good thing, both of them.  I think NATO is a godsend right now and I hope the Swedes and Finnish people join asap.

image.png.e1833b96db2e2a306571068a8a6b15b4.png

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I’ll try to find the Twitter thread, but basically none of the invasion has followed their military doctrine.  It’s puzzling.

supports the theory they aren't well trained, weren't told what was going to happen and figured their Ukranian brothers would welcome them. sorry buckaroo, you gonna get shot.

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Ukrainians still going at them! Just more proof the Russians left air assets operational. Should Ukraine fall need to move whatever is left to Poland and set up a government in exile. 

that's incredible. hope they can keep it up!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I'd enter negotiations with the Finnish PM if you know what I mean

Sanna Marin - Wikipedia

The marvelous Mrs. minister?
The marvelous Madame minister?

Edited by Lobo

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Back in the mid-90s, I was day drinking in Chicago in the Uke Village. There was a small dive bar that just had a sign out front in Ukranian that was phonetically converted to English and I couldn't even pretend to pronounce it. The crowd was a combination of Ukrainian/Polish immigrants and 1970's looking dudes with mullets. It was mid afternoon but the place was packed and the juke was blaring what I only assumed was Ukrainian pop music.

The bartender was this big, mean, nasty Ukrainian woman named Agnes. I've been in a million scary dive bars, but I can't ever remember fearing the bartender more than any of the patrons or the surrounding neighborhood.  She was terrifying. She took resting bitch face to a new level -- she wore a permanent scowl and spoke broken English. She informed us before we even sat down at the bar that there would be no mixers allowed. And by no mixers, that also included ice. You drank vodka. Straight. And we did. And she did. After 2-3 hours we could barely walk out of there and she probably downed twice as many shots as we had. She acted like it was water, "Shut up pussy, drink!," over and over and over, in the thickest, Eastern European accent you can imagine.

Anyway.... all I can think of during this whole mess is that you've got to be the dumbest motherfucker in the world to invade a country full of Agneses. 

You were probably at Stella's on Chicago Avenue by the Empty Bottle.

274555472_320555590115702_37111738016501

Data from the Automated Radiation Control System of the Exclusion Zone, which are available online, indicate that the control levels of gamma radiation dose rate (red dots) have been exceeded at a significant part of the observation points. Due to the occupation and hostilities, it is currently impossible to establish the reasons for the change in the radiation background in the exclusion zone.

Well Fuck, I've seen this movie before.  

-Hulk-the-incredible-hulk-43408729-220-2

I get it. It’s a wild thing to want and say out loud. I did my four years in the Marine Corps and I’d feel okay about going back if I needed to. 

I’ll chip in on your flight to Poland. You can pick up a weapon system at the border and I am sure they can direct you from there.

17 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I appreciate that. I’m of a similar bent. The vast majority of people are. 

But here’s the thing to keep in mind. The direction of human interaction in every mass endeavor is never set by the most moderate. It is always set by the ones on the outer edges.

I’ll give you a harmless example. Message boards. Have you ever seen a relatively polite discourse on a controversial subject being discussed among people genuinely trying to understand one another’s point of view? Toss in one agitator who expresses extreme views, and very quickly the conversation devolves into reacting to that single person’s agenda. 

Or let’s take market behavior. The price of a good - say oil, or bonds - is not determined by the first person to buy that good. It’s determined by the last one. Prices rise and fall based on the extreme, not the aggregate. 

Same with tribal conflicts. People can live generations side by side of one another, but if they don’t interbreed to the point of being indistinguishable - like say what happened with the Mongols ruling China - eventually someone is going to take advantage of our need to identify an other as a bonding mechanism for the tribe. 

We have a robust range of genetic characteristics we’re born with. It’s the same with every species. They can study rats and identify clearly distinguishable character traits. One may be more timid, while one is more adventurous. One may be more socially interactive, while another is more withdrawn. The thing is, each species needs these robust character profiles at birth to survive. 

There are a relatively small percentage of humans born with psychopathy. While we have negative associations with it, the fact is some of the greatest leaders in human history and prehistory - possibly a ridiculously large percentage of them - have very clear indications of this trait. They represent a whopping percentage of current CEOs. I wouldn’t want one as my lover, but if my tribe’s existence hangs in the balance, having one around as the tribal leader would probably be pretty handy. 

I saw a documentary last year from a director who went around interviewing members of German society during the Holocaust, and asked them questions about what they knew and why they behaved the way they did. These were normal people, just like you and me in many ways. They weren’t fundamentally evil, or wanting to incite a race riot, or exterminate a competing tribe. But listening to them talk about their experiences was even more horrifying for all of that. 

We talk about the Holocaust like it can never happen again if we simply keep it in our memory. But that’s a fiction. It will happen again. It happens on a smaller scale right now. The only prevention is to battle demagoguery and extremism with a conscientious robustness from all sides. Instead in this country we lean into it more and more, with each side viewing the other as a greater and greater existential threat. That’s a pattern that’s been repeated literally millions of times throughout human history, and the end is never pretty. 

Anyway, to get back to Ukraine, Putin represents that psychopathy. But instead of viewing him as an aberration, we should instead view him as a pretty normal manifestation of the quest for power. He’s simply more adept than many. 

I agree with everything you wrote. I wish it were wrong...  Because I'm trying to believe my (or anyone's) great-grandchildren aren't headed for slavery right here in this country...

Regarding all the division, I keep asking myself, "For what?"

Then I realize the answer to just enough people is "For me. Period."

• Hook 'Em 1

Just a country using peacekeeping forces to protect its western border.  By releasing radioactive waste into their own shared water table. 

does Russia have some kinda continental divide technology like Lex Luthor whereby they send all nuclear waste from Chernobyl into Europe?   

and the Americans that aided Putin in this invasion get a good piece of real estate called Otisburgh?

7 minutes ago, troph said:

supports the theory they aren't well trained, weren't told what was going to happen and figured their Ukranian brothers would welcome them. sorry buckaroo, you gonna get shot.

Putin was fascinated by shock and awe.  He wanted to change how his military fought to this standard.  Well it takes the equipment and the training to shift that.  I guess he didn't want to pay the money.  He wanted the trial version and that's what he got.  It's just going to end bad for Ukraine though.  His military is gonna go back to what they know and just bludgeon them into submission.  Putin gave the withdrawal date of May.  Ukraine won't last until May without help.  Putin isn't going to leave.  It's either Ukraine or death at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

As you can tell, I'm pretty disgusted today by the world's response: I wonder if this is similar to how we dealt with Germany leading up to WWII.

Churchill: “Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.”  (If you haven't watch "Darkest Hour", do so.)

Thank's to you all for the updates on Ukraine fighting for their lives while the rest of the world sends their hopes & prayers.

I also am disgusted for many reasons:

In the 90's, Ukraine became independent and the third-largest nuclear power in the world, w/ thousands of nuclear arms on its soil from Moscow. In the years that followed, Ukraine made the decision to denuclearize completely in exchange for a security guarantee from the U.S., the U.K. and Russia.

One of the three brutally attacks while the other two watch from the best seats in the house. 

Nuclear non-proliferation is DEAD.  Good luck on convincing any body else (Iran, N. Korea) to give up their nuclear programs. 

"...I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson

My, how the mighty have fallen.

• Rage+1 2

Unless you are a politician who isn't a spineless jellyfish. As you can tell, I'm pretty disgusted today by the world's response: I wonder if this is similar to how we dealt with Germany leading up to WWII.

We just ended a 20 year campaign. Are you a defense contractor or something?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй