Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

25 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Dude the 3 up, one down more than a clue and that bright blue ribbon is fairly distinguished as well.

Mistaking the Lieutenant Colonel from a Major is understandable.

Stripes vs stars is German bombing Pearl Harbor.

I have never served nor has anyone in my immediate family.

Not quite the end of an inning 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Why the fuck are all these countries just now supplying arms. These should have been pouring into Ukraine the second Putin started amassing soldiers. 

Because nobody probably believed that the Ukrainians would fight. Why send arms to a country that is going to roll over? Might as well ship them directly to them red square. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Why the fuck are all these countries just now supplying arms. These should have been pouring into Ukraine the second Putin started amassing soldiers. 

1) Putin would have used that as a pre-text for invading ("see, I told you this is a threat to our country!") and 2) probably being pussies

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I'll tell you one thing we need to do: equip Ukrainians abroad with weapons.  I'm sure we have some anti-shipping mines (including satchel-type mines that can be affixed to a ship by divers), and there are some PADI-certified Ukrainians in Spain and the Netherlands who would like nothing more than to sink some oligarch yachts.  Equip Ukrainians abroad to take the fight to the oligarchs.  That's what I think we should do.

Here’s a couple of juicy targets....

F61AA4F6-8318-4BCD-A59A-92CCE0E5F6B9.jpeg

FFEB8030-77C3-4884-B29E-19F42F1AE68F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That's one thing I was saying last night. Ukraine was on the Western block of the Soviet Union directly engaging on the front lines with the nazis and Mussolini. These are people directly descended from people who were willing to fight to the last man in that war, and Putin is dumb enough to think they're going to lay down?

Or egotistical and delusional enough to think they would greet him as a liberator? Hmm where have I seen that before?

https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Ukrainian_collaborationism_with_the_Axis_powers

Actually a lot of Ukrainians saw Nazis as their liberators and sympathized with them. Putin and most Russian people of his generation have been emphasizing and exaggerating this historical fact to help motivate the younger generations in the armed forces.

• Hook 'Em 1

On the information front— the Czechs today unplugged their most toxic Kremlin tied disinformation and propaganda sites.  They aren’t bound by the First Amendment and they have significant latitude under laws aimed at preventing the spread of Nazi and Soviet propaganda or whitewashing on the books.  A move that should have happened a long time ago and that more countries should follow. 

• Hook 'Em 7

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’d put likelihood of actual boots there in any meaningful way at closer to zero than any other number.  The assistance they could give would be far outweighed by the risk and fallout of that getting exposed and them killed or captured. 

Remember that all along the Kremlin has claimed that Kyiv is a puppet government run and manipulated by the U.S. and that this isn’t a fight Ukrainians should care about. 

Yeah, In retrospect, we may have some closely aligned foreign nationals who are acting as our proxies. 

FWIW, I know somebody who is senior in the Canadian military who was very suddenly moved Brussels. Like with minimal pack time and warning.

7 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

India buys a shit load of Russian weaponry and also produces rifles for the Russian military. When I lived there I went to an airshow and it was all Russian planes/helicopters etc. Billions of dollars a year. They have a long standing military cooperation agreement that just got renewed last year. The US is making inroads but India is leasing nuclear subs from Russia, buying anti-aircraft systems etc.

India is led by a wanna be militant autocrat. They cozying up to Putin is no shock. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Ukrainian_collaborationism_with_the_Axis_powers

Actually a lot of Ukrainians saw Nazis as their liberators and sympathized with them. Putin and most Russian people of his generation have been emphasizing and exaggerating this historical fact to help motivate the younger generations in the armed forces.

Saw something last night about this. Less than 200K Ukrainians fought for Hitler. Millions joined the Red Army plus it was a pretty badass partisan zone. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Reality is they get 40% of their oil, gas & coal from Russia, and its winter time.  We're not talking about $5 gasoline, they already pay twice that, were talking frozen 2021 Texas for three more months.

I have been there many times, and as a people, they are the hardest working, most resouceful people I have ever been around. If a cow shits, there's a guy with a shovel to pick it up. Imagine driving across Texas and never seeing a broken down vehicle in the yard or a brush or trash pile in the field.

There is a real long fucking line of people who have made poor decisions over the past 20 years. Things will change. I'll take the over on the majority of a huge increase in US LNG production from the US going to Europe. 

Churchill: “Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.” 

I was going to ask about this in one of these threads...

How long would it take to get that infrastructure in place? Do we really have that much nat gas sitting in the ground, waiting to be... mined? harvested? collected? (What's the proper verb here?)

Anybody?

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

because nobody believed he was going to go through with it other than the US/British. Biden had been saying for several days prior that Putin had decided to invade. 

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Saw something last night about this. Less than 200K Ukrainians fought for Hitler. Millions joined the Red Army plus it was a pretty badass partisan zone. 

Millions did. But the Soviets/Russians would never let Ukraine forget about the 200K that did fight for Hitler. Historical "baggage"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I was going to ask about this in one of these threads...

How long would it take to get that infrastructure in place? Do we really have that much nat gas sitting in the ground, waiting to be... mined? harvested? collected? (What's the proper verb here?)

Anybody?

Yes we do have shit loads of natural gas.  As to how long for us to get infrastructure to actually get it?  Some probably almost immediately. Some probably lots of time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven’t seen this mentioned but the Russian health ministry has issued a call to all hospitals and clinics for doctors and medical staff that can be sent to to areas where they will get per diem and housing. Dated after the invasion. Calling for the specialties that would be needed to treat battlefield injuries. 

The Kremlin has fucked this up bad.  Based on the numbers of KIA there’s a ton of trauma patients without doctors in Belarus and southern Russia.  

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

India buys a shit load of Russian weaponry and also produces rifles for the Russian military. When I lived there I went to an airshow and it was all Russian planes/helicopters etc. Billions of dollars a year. They have a long standing military cooperation agreement that just got renewed last year. The US is making inroads but India is leasing nuclear subs from Russia, buying anti-aircraft systems etc.
Wonder what those lease terms are? 3yrs/36000 hours? And that balloon payment.. yikes.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

I haven’t seen this mentioned but the Russian health ministry has issued a call to all hospitals and clinics for doctors and medical staff that can be sent to to areas where they will get per diem and housing. Dated after the invasion. Calling for the specialties that would be needed to treat battlefield injuries. 

The Kremlin has fucked this up bad.  Based on the numbers of KIA in action, there’s a ton of trauma patients without doctors in Belarus and southern Russia.  

The only shame in that is that the Russian leaders have never given a shit about their number of casualties in war time. So, just Russian kids who don’t want to be there doing this dying in a horrible way that won’t change the policy directives of their leadership. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:
15 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Wonder what those lease terms are? 3yrs/36000 hours? And that balloon payment.. yikes.

luckily they don't sale far so don't need to worry about going over their miles. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

upwards of  1 MILLION Soviet soldiers ended up serving the Nazis.  funny how thats never mentioned by Putin

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:
36 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm in Hawaii and just caught up on this thread. Its incredible what this community is capable of from an information sourcing perspective. Thanks for all the contributions, if only we could sick the Surly Horns community on Russia somehow...

Humble. Fucking. Brag.

Good to know my contributions to the Surly fund are paying off :)

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

luckily they don't sale far so don't need to worry about going over their miles. 

exactly, more commuter subs than anything. India just has such a hardon for China especially as China is a major arms supplier to Pakistan. The India/Russian ties are no joke though so I am not shocked that India isn't in any hurry to condemn Russia to degree US would like.

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The only shame in that is that the Russian leaders have never given a shit about their number of casualties in war time. So, just Russian kids who don’t want to be there doing this dying in a horrible way that won’t change the policy directives of their leadership. 

As human shields in the defense of a city, etc.....sure.  But for offensive operations you have to have a number of skilled operators of all the logistics and those trained in tactics, etc to carry out orders and missions.  They will burn through a large many of them, but there is a limit on what casualties they can take.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

As human shields in the defense of a city, etc.....sure.  But for offensive operations you have to have a number of skilled operators of all the logistics and those trained in tactics, etc to carry out orders and missions.  They will burn through a large many of them, but there is a limit on what casualties they can take.  

Oh understood. It’s just their stomach for casualties is so much higher than ours I can’t imagine this resonates in any way. 

Just now, 40acredropout said:

9pm in Ukraine right now.  Is expectation that shit really hits the fan in Kyiv tomorrow morning?  

the last two nights it's been relatively quiet until about 4am - there has been open questions on this board as to what the hell is that about and wondering outloud about Russian nighttime war capabilities and that they may be limited.  We have not seen any pics of any night vision gear either.  credit to @atomheartbevo for being the one leading that discussion.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I don't see how Putin doesn't end up just blowing that convoy into pieces.

Amazingly he doesn't control the skies enough to guarantee that he does. Shocking 3 days in.

I'd also imagine that when it crosses into Ukraine that they won't just convoy straight to battle but uses Lviv as a base to distribute. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Oh understood. It’s just their stomach for casualties is so much higher than ours I can’t imagine this resonates in any way. 

Yep.  Much of this seems a trade off upstream on how much time/money to spend on them.  They're essentially baked into the balance sheet that 'X' guys will fall, but we only have to spent 'Y' to build up and forces and achieve what we need.  

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй