Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

6 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Great thread, but dammit I sure wish my kid was at home enjoying his new wife and maybe thinking about giving me grandkids instead of working 18 hours a day on the Polish/Ukraine border.

I know thats selfish in light of widespread was crimes.

What would be selfish is if you took advantage of the situation and started giving yourself grandkids with his new wife.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Great thread, but dammit I sure wish my kid was at home enjoying his new wife and maybe thinking about giving me grandkids instead of working 18 hours a day on the Polish/Ukraine border.

I wish I could put my life on hold and go over for a few months to help feed/clean up/rebuild.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

One of two things - there was a threat about Finland joining NATO and also Finland confiscated a bunch of Russian art.

"In the Federation Council, Russia is threatening Finland because of its intention to join NATO. Vladimir Jabarov said: "Finland's accession to NATO would make it a target for retaliatory Russian action."

Would like to see Russia try to get troops up there.

21 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

No that is pandering for rep. Goddammit, you raised a good kid.... well deserved +rep.

• Like 1

Uneducated guess from a guy with zero military experience, but I'm guessing this thing is going to stall into a largely static but wavering front line of marginal ebbs and flows where neither side can fully gain enough advantage to mount an effective offensive given the mostly flat, treeless steppe. It's got a creeping WWI Picardie/Champagne stalemate feel to it - sans long trench lines - that'll lead to a war of attrition unless Russia can eventually muster enough forces to do an end-around from the northeast or southwest.

The best we can realistically hope for at this point is that something gives on the domestic side where Putin/Kremlin apparatchiks/Russian mommas eventually decide enough is enough on their end and settle for a cease fire. While that's not an outright victory for Ukraine, it'd be an obvious win considering all the early predictions that Ukraine would quickly fold against the Red Army.

Hoping I'm wrong and Russian morale completely collapses with the lack of new materiel, forcing them retreat back to their homes.

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Uneducated guess from a guy with zero military experience, but I'm guessing this thing is going to stall into a largely static but wavering front line of marginal ebbs and flows where neither side can fully gain enough advantage to mount an effective offensive given the mostly flat, treeless steppe. It's got a creeping WWI Picardie/Champagne stalemate feel to it - sans long trench lines - that'll lead to a war of attrition unless Russia can eventually muster enough forces to do an end-around from the northeast or southwest.

The best we can realistically hope for at this point is that something gives on the domestic side where Putin/Kremlin apparatchiks/Russian mommas eventually decide enough is enough on their end and settle for a cease fire. While that's not an outright victory for Ukraine, it'd be an obvious win considering all the early predictions that Ukraine would quickly fold against the Red Army.

Hoping I'm wrong and Russian morale completely collapses with the lack of new materiel, forcing them retreat back to their homes.

Sorry but I think you're wrong.  The Russians are switching to a brute force concentrated plan they could have executed at the start of the war, pinching off Donbas, Mariupol, and down from Izium.  The eastern third of Ukraine will become Russia.  And no one will do a damn thing about it.  I think NATO/EU has shot its sanctions wad, and it isn't enough.  China, India, UAE (fuckers) are all going to sneak by the sanctions and feed money into Russia for discounted oil and fertilizer.  Hell, if Brazil thought it could get away with it they would be importing fertilizer by shiploads as fast as they could from the Russkies.

Everything is fucked.

4 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

China, India, UAE (fuckers) are all going to sneak by the sanctions and feed money into Russia for discounted oil and fertilizer.  Hell, if Brazil thought it could get away with it they would be importing fertilizer by shiploads as fast as they could from the Russkies.

Nobody will insure Russian shipping going into the Black Sea, and they will have some extremely long voyages out of the Baltic if they can't dock in Europe.  

And China probably would like Russia to fail - the farther Russia falls, the tighter the Chinese can turn the screws.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/us-targets-putins-daughters-russian-banks-sanctions-83910108

US targets Putin's daughters, Russian banks in new sanctions
The United States has announced sanctions targeting Russian President Vladimir Putin’s two adult daughters and says it’s toughening penalties against Russian banks in retaliation for “war crimes” in Ukraine

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If Russia is stupid enough to invade Finland, Finland would take Moscow in a week. They’ve been preparing for 80 years to fuck their shit up. They wouldn’t stop at just defending their country.

Well, Putin might as well go full Hitler and open up a second front he doesn't need to hasten his collapse. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

If Russia is stupid enough to invade Finland, Finland would take Moscow in a week. They’ve been preparing for 80 years to fuck their shit up. They wouldn’t stop at just defending their country.

So assuming russia has a national guard left and has deployed a ton of sources towards Ukraine…they’re pretty vulnerable if someone thinks their national guard sucks as much as their vaunted army, no? Or would defending turf be an entirely different story

11 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So assuming russia has a national guard left and has deployed a ton of sources towards Ukraine…they’re pretty vulnerable if someone thinks their national guard sucks as much as their vaunted army, no? Or would defending turf be an entirely different story

Russia's national guard is actually their riot police/internal police.  They were getting slaughtered by Ukrainians, and they were the ones trying to legally challenge Putin sending them to Ukraine because it wasn't in their training or in their job description.

Russia does have reserves, but they are in far worse shape than what we see in Ukraine, even worse off than the conscripts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I think any NATO country could easily take Moscow in a week at this point. We know it, Putin knows it... but we all also know that Pootie will push the button if it came to that. 

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

Sorry but I think you're wrong.  The Russians are switching to a brute force concentrated plan they could have executed at the start of the war, pinching off Donbas, Mariupol, and down from Izium.  The eastern third of Ukraine will become Russia.  And no one will do a damn thing about it.  I think NATO/EU has shot its sanctions wad, and it isn't enough.  China, India, UAE (fuckers) are all going to sneak by the sanctions and feed money into Russia for discounted oil and fertilizer.  Hell, if Brazil thought it could get away with it they would be importing fertilizer by shiploads as fast as they could from the Russkies.

Everything is fucked.

I'd agree with you if their original plan was to concentrate their fire power in a well defined theater of operations along a single front, they'd have been successful. But they spread themselves too thinly and lost too many of their best forces. Now that they've lost much of their armor, their offensive capacity to concentrate power in discrete spaces appears to be diminished. Essentially, the remaining combat area looks likes it'll be dominated by personnel, which is a function of morale and mobility, rather than the brute force of materiel.

Again, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about from a technical standpoint, but I'm just making a prediction based on an overarching view of the chessboard.

Edit: Extending the chessboard analogy, imagine a match where the rooks, knights, and bishops of each side were eliminated, leaving you with only small arms pawns, the queens (nukes) and the kings (governments). Of course, the risk of using the queen to erase the board risks the use of the other, leaving them both inoperable.

Edited by bolverk

58 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

1) nukes.

2) Russia's main woes have been logistical failures due to reliance on trucks outside their borders. They won't have those same challenges domestically, and have literally 10 army brigades assigned to it's defense and maintenance. Plus the russians are ALWAYS better on defense than offense, historically speaking. 

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

1) nukes.

2) Russia's main woes have been logistical failures due to reliance on trucks outside their borders. They won't have those same challenges domestically, and have literally 10 army brigades assigned to it's defense and maintenance. Plus the russians are ALWAYS better on defense than offense, historically speaking. 

have you seen the quality of planning, leadership, manpower, and equipment ?

juat curious as you think logistics was the main woe 

I'm a real dumb bastard, but you continue to amaze me. Just posting dumb shit, hurr, durr. Village idiot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

At this point their National Guard is known as their nuke stockpile.

FPuN9_zX0AIMFWt?format=jpg&name=medium

"Georgy Petrunin - from the military dynasty, seven generations of his family served the Fatherland: Cossacks from the Volgograd region took part in almost all the wars that Russia entered. There are still legends about the strength and courage of the great-grandfather of the military commandant of Samara, Peter Mordvintsev, who was a real giant - his height exceeded 2 meters. He served in the Life Guards Cossack Regiment and died in battle in July 1943 in the Kursk region."

The eighth generation of the Petrunins is the youngest son of Yura, he is now studying in the cadet corps of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, and the eldest son Yegor, he now serves in the intelligence units of the Central Military District. Georgy Viktorovich saw Yegor's graduation in 2017 only in photos: at that time he was in Syria.

Nice CRT monitor

FPuCe_6WUAMg8Hs?format=png&name=900x900

So he's got a widow in case any of you are single - keep an eye out on the Russian wives pages in the near future.

And his sons are 27 and 18, so you won't have to worry about raising his kids.

9 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oh, wow--Page 500.  And some of y'all a few hundred pages ago didn't think Putin would actually invade.  Silly surls.  Don't you know that a Russian will always go Russian?

Guilty as charged. I was convinced I was watching a maskirovka exercise while Putin took out a group(s) of internal troublemakers to protect his regime.

I should have realized a free, successful, and independent Ukraine was the biggest threat to fuckface's regime. 

The only silver lining is it may turnout a super pissed off, ass-kicking Ukraine ends up taking top spot.

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

1) nukes.

More like you have a shot clock you need to stay under, otherwise when that runs out mother Russia swallows both armies.

3 hours ago, PTINS said:

Pipelines and midstream assets are fee based asset companies. Production companies are commodity based.  Volume/fee guarantees =/= commodity price guarantees? Is Putin's invasion Force Majuere? an "act of god"?

O&G price forecasting is a combination of darts and hitting a pinata with a blindfold. The O&G risk profile is marginally different than FAANGs. 

Yes, but LNG by tanker to Germany is a combination of both - tanker=pipeline. The US gas companies would obviously be reluctant to increase capacity and infrastructure because they know that as soon as the war ends, the Russia-German relationship would resume. And Germany doesn't want to make a commitment because it is less concerned about Russia than it is about gas prices (and all that high gas prices entail).

I'm a real dumb bastard, but you continue to amaze me. Just posting dumb shit, hurr, durr. Village idiot.

I got some good answers to my question on whether or not russia will be caught with their pants down and if they’re pretty vulnerable because they aren’t winning a presumed to be 3 day war.

Great post on your hand. Thanks for the contribution

4 hours ago, PTINS said:

First, I'm trying to keep this CR free. Thanks to all of you for the information sharing on so so many related subjects.  I walk away for half a day, and damn, ... shit moves fast around here!

So, 

There are 3 contries that are the pillars of O&G production that control, through production or influence, the balance of worldwide supply & demand; The US, Saudi Arabia & Russia. The US has always had the reserve base to meet European demand, but maximizing production, at moderate oil prices, has not been the goal of the US since the early 80's.  Germany and the EU looked to Russia, because neither the US, nor anyone else, was available. We ignored her, she left for a wife beater, and here we are. 

When the 2020 denominator is tiny, any increase in 2021 will lead to record earnings.  Did the companies that went bankrupt or were consumed in "mergers" also post record earnings?

If Chevron makes $8 Billion/year, is that too much? That's about what they payout in dividends.  To keep production flat and just offset declines, and save some for a rainy day, they need to make a lot more than that.

Thank you.

Vertically integrated means they make money on production, refining & petrochemicals, and marketing & trading. Usually, they make money in 2 out of 3, no matter how hard they try. The independent production companies (no downstream integration), the smaller guys that drill most of the wells, live and die with roller coaster prices.  By defintion, they have to sell someone to the integrated companies and independent refiners and pet-chems.

The midstream industry, infrastructure gathering, compression, processing & pipelines, is all built on term, take or pay contracts, meaning they pay for the service whether they use it or not.  Even when it's uneconomic to drill and produce, they are still contractually obligated to pay the midstream fees. They start up and a lot of them go bankrupt. When the price is right and capital is plentiful at low borrowing rates, drill, baby drill. With the anomalies in supply & demand & price fundamentals, tight capital, and rising interest rates, the gas you get is going to be impacted by a constant foot riding the brakes.

A Q-Max a day is ~ equivalent to Nordstream 2. Longhaul pipelines, with 100's of supply sources, are basically 24/7/365. LNG Shipping, a single source supplier, is impacted by supply disruptions, fog, blocked canals, labor strikes, etc ..., something less than 24/7/365. 

Current US LNG capacity is ~ 12 BCF/day, LNG capacity under construction ~ 6 BCFD

Nordsteam Pipelines 1 &2 gas to Europe total ~ 11 BCFD. 

Pipelines and midstream assets are fee based asset companies. Production companies are commodity based.  Volume/fee guarantees =/= commodity price guarantees? Is Putin's invasion Force Majuere? an "act of god"?

O&G price forecasting is a combination of darts and hitting a pinata with a blindfold. The O&G risk profile is marginally different than FAANGs. 

"record profits this quarter": ... forward looking forecast based on past events will have no bearing on future results? Not wise to commit to a substantial increase in borrowing and capital spending at $10 million/well based on a quarterly result.

My starting point is "the trend is your friend", but some how forceast an Enron, or Katrina, or Covid or Putin. 

No hydraulic fracturing, no pipelines, no facilities >> No production + no transportation + no market = canceling gas growth. 

The Marcellus-Utica gas production increased ~ 15 BCFD from 2010-2015, and the Permian gas production increased ~ 11 BCFD from 2015-2020, either of which could have met Europe's demand but gas.   There was a market demand that could not be satisfied by US production simply because the corresponding growth in infrastructure was prevented by governmental policies.

IMO, the productive gas capacity of the US has been "artificially limited" or "knee-capped" by governmental policies.

image.png.5d64522468516de198768e325e63b8ef.pngimage.thumb.png.943d364df22e905bdfff94e47051ddfd.png

I respect your expertise with O&G industry and won’t quibble with that.   I’m not an expert in the field, but your points line up with my understanding about commodity markets, with the caveat that I also have relatives in O&G and as they say “there’s nothing in the oil business that $100/bbl won’t fix”

But your broad assertion about “government policies” undermine the second part of your argument. Our Government is not a uniform actor.  It’s a a mix of local,state, and federal authorities, across a wide range of agencies, covered by numerous and sometimes contradictory laws.  Lightly regulated red states, highly regulated blue states, and purple states all over the place.  Some coastal states more interested in their tourist industry vs others interested in fisheries or O&G production. And one states political views do not invalidate or override another’s in our system. You imply that if “government” would have done the right thing, we could have captured the European market.  Putting aside whether on a price basis we were truly competitive with Russian gas, you’ve basically proven other people’s point:

only a broadly anti free market and anti states right policy that overrode the variable federal nature of our resource and trade policy could have established the US as the primary purveyor of O&G during the boom production years. I.E. “Socialist.”  Regardless of partisan make up of that government, only a National government that to some degree seized or tightly regulated the means of production and carry could have created the market or political environment you described to change the situation we are in vis-a-vis European over reliance on Russian petroleum products.  Approving a pipeline from Canada or loosening some federal land drilling permits wasn’t going to do it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1