Ricky Williams Heisman Trophy is Being Sold at Auction

LTtxfan

21 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Ricky doesn't strike me as a guy who places a lot of value on mementos.

yeah the ticket had the heritage auction guys in for a regular visit a week or so ago and they brought the heisman.  basically said ricky never really cared about awards or accolades, not a big deal. 

29 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I find that kind of sad. It would be nice if it could end up at the University. At least it’s going up for auction though. I can see someone finding Johnny football’s trophy in some random pawn shop in a few years.

rick.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, so if there’s one on display at the school and it’s not really that big a deal to the winner, then I can certainly see auctioning it for some significant cash, even if I’m not in duress. As mentioned earlier, Ricky doesn’t seem too concerned with such things.

Edited to add I presume the University wouldn’t entertain the thought of bidding on it since they already have one.

Edited by Vito Andolini

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

It’s not like he’s selling the fact that he won the trophy. Someone walks up and offers $475,000 for that chunk of bronze in your living room...who’s saying “no?”

If I’d have made what he did in his career, I sure as fuck would say no.  

He’s free to do what he wants, but IMO it’s dumb to discard one of the greatest achievements of his life, whether he wants Rastafarianly philosophically claim it means nothing to his karma. 

UT fans will support and justify every (law abiding) decision he makes without fail though. I remember when he walked out on the Dolphins and people sounded like scared girls with comments like “other people are literally trying to make him feel hurt and sore! He wants to stop feeling pain and I support him!”

• Like 1

Yeah Ricky didn’t get much. If i’ve Learned anything from Rick Harrison, “look, I’m going to have to pay a lot to get this thing refinished, get it encased, and then the auction house takes 15% plus 10k just to list it. I can give you like 85k and that’s just because I think it’s a cool piece.”

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2019 at 8:39 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I find that kind of sad. It would be nice if it could end up at the University. At least it’s going up for auction though. I can see someone finding Johnny football’s trophy in some random pawn shop in a few years.

1KwpjL6QTuSdHHn5eWShh_nbUnb6JwN2rwideEzp

• Like 2

Yeah, I think most of y’all read that wrong. Ricky had already sold the trophy. It’s the guy who purchased it from him that is now putting it up for auction.  At least that’s the way I read it. 

I’m thinking about putting my 1983 North Austin Optimist Little League Champs trophy up for auction. I don’t need the accolades, I lived it, and that means more than any materialistic memento.  

On 8/1/2019 at 9:10 PM, Vito Andolini said:

I thought the player got a copy and the school got one

On 8/1/2019 at 9:14 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

This is correct. You can see it at Bellmont. 

I haz confuse.  

Is there a real one and a copy,  or are they all copies,  or all considered originals?

5 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I haz confuse.  

Is there a real one and a copy,  or are they all copies,  or all considered originals?

I’ll confuse you even further. Except for the first one ever cast, they are all original copies.

Let me put my Cliff Clavin US Postal Service issued hat on and bloviate with near certainty: Whomever produces the trophy intentionally creates two for each year, knowing one will go to the player, one to the school for its trophy case. So they are both authentic Heisman Trophies.

• Haha 1