Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 hours ago, Hmmm said:

but I'm having trouble understanding the second part;  "the other side".  In a ideal (yes, this is non-existent) world, security frameworks evolve to learn from the past and "the horses have already left the barn" can serve to learn from past mistakes to continuously improve your security program.  it's a continuous battle between good and evil.  It's hard for me to discern whether your second point refers to implementing more security tools and controls (which has both advantages and disadvantages)  or if it's addressing the payout of ransomware attacks.  Both are completely different subjects, but intertwined.

The second part is referring to organizations with very immature security programs. Places that have decentralized security basically relying on IT to follow best practices and their compliance staff to barely pass audits. Organizations that lack the ability to implement or even comprehend the lessons learned portion of the IRP phase. They are forced to build a security program from scratch.

Kinda like the situation we are in right now with the pandemic. As you probably know, the Containment and Eradication phase cannot take place until an adequate Detection and Analysis phase has been performed. The U.S. is still trying to build and implement a program to detect Covid, something that should have been completed by now so we are scrambling to put the entire country on lockdown because we can't accurately identify Covid outbreaks by region.

This cluster fuck looks exactly like a security breach that was made worse by gross negligence and incompetence of leadership.

• Like 3

I could totally work from home. I'm a software developer for a military defense contractor. HR / leadership has let it known that we are not allowed to work from home even if our jobs allow it because "they can't have everyone working from home". No explanation. They seem to not trust us. It's pretty maddening knowing that my wife and two kids are quarantined at home for two weeks but i'll have to expose them daily because my company doesn't trust us.

Yep. I have spent the last 3 weeks working on a project for our Canada offices. I'm in fucking Dallas I don't need to be here and neither does anyone on my floor. My company told us it's our choice to work from home and if we felt uncomfortable don't come in but we will be open. Then they passive aggressively talked shit. I was pissed off for some of my co-workers that felt like they were doing something wrong

10 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Why are you not disinfecting what's inside, too? 90% of most Amazon deliveries now come from a semi-local distribution center (there's a big one down near San Msrcos) then to a local warehouse for sorting (two in Austin) the same-day or the day after you order it. It's usually on your doorstep less than 24 hrs after ordering. Considering it's been said the C19 can live on some surfaces up to 72hrs - and that at least one Amazon warehouse worker tested positive (in Seattle) - the safest thing to do would be to push the box into the garage with your boot and let it sit there for 3 days before opening it.

- source: I do Amazon delivery.

But what if you ordered tuna steaks and shrimp from Whole Foods?

13 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Why are you not disinfecting what's inside, too? 90% of most Amazon deliveries now come from a semi-local distribution center (there's a big one down near San Msrcos) then to a local warehouse for sorting (two in Austin) the same-day or the day after you order it. It's usually on your doorstep less than 24 hrs after ordering. Considering it's been said the C19 can live on some surfaces up to 72hrs - and that at least one Amazon warehouse worker tested positive (in Seattle) - the safest thing to do would be to push the box into the garage with your boot and let it sit there for 3 days before opening it.

- source: I do Amazon delivery.

Right on - thanks! Much easier, too! 

I work at an aquarium in Dallas and the number of people still showing up today was mind boggling. Especially the number of olds. It was basically like a normal Saturday. I have to be there to take care of the animals, but I could do without all the unwashed masses infecting each other and probably me and the rest of our staff.
Spring Break usually means we take the kids places like the rodeo, zoo, or whatever. Austin Rodeo is canceled. San Antonio Zoo is closed all this week. But I saw Moody Gardens is still going to be open.

But we're probably staying home.

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So I have to rape my liver to fight the fever?

Why fight the fever? As long as it us not dangerously high the fever helps kill the virus.  

Dr. John Campbell  who I follow on YouTube thinks fighting a mild fever is a terrible idea.

Just now, RayDog said:

Why fight the fever? As long as it us not dangerously high the fever helps kill the virus.  

Dr. John Campbell  who I follow on YouTube thinks fighting a mild fever is a terrible idea.

Upthread, we had an internet Surly doctor say it's fine to let a fever run if it's under 101F.

But what if you ordered tuna steaks and shrimp from Whole Foods?
WF, Fresh, and Prime Now deliveries are handled by Amazon shoppers and put in bags. Refrigerated and frozen items are in coolers or freezers until drivers pick them up and bring them to you. We've gotten emails letting us know that is okay to leave most items at the door - if instructed by the customer - so that we limit interactions. Except for alcohol deliveries - those still need ID.
  • Like 2

Since posting has slowed down a bit.  I'd like to thank the constant posters and readers in this thread.  I was late to the party, which means I was ahead of the general population by days and days.  But being ahead of the curve means I and my family can be a part of squishing or squashing it or whatever it is today.  I look forward to running the world with you degenerates some day.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

5,833 people have died so far, and it’s only starting to hit Europe and US. (Wait till Africa and South America)

here’s the rub - do you remember over 80 million people being quarantined for the swine flu? That was just China for this. Who knows how many people will die from this? Just remember whatever the number end us being, that is with the world shutting down to stop the spread. 

I know the “it’s just a flu” talking points after this is over will be only 50K died or whatever, but that will be because every country shut down for a month (or more). Businesses lost billions, economies trillions, thousands will have been laid off, people will lose their homes, etc, 

You can’t have this both ways. If there are anywhere near that few deaths this has been completely overblown 

• Fuck You 1

My sister has a wedding in the first week of June and she is adamant about not cancelling anything. I told her she should be aware that there is a decent chance it may need to be cancelled, many of the guests are old and would have to fly in. It is also taking place in a major texas city. What do yall think? Likely to get cancelled or should the show go on? 

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

My sister has a wedding in the first week of June and she is adamant about not cancelling anything. I told her she should be aware that there is a decent chance it may need to be cancelled, many of the guests are old and would have to fly in. It is also taking place in a major texas city. What do yall think? Likely to get cancelled or should the show go on? 

What's the latest date she can cancel.  Wait until then to decide. 

I have to remind myself to take a deep breath when, for example, my kids' school district only cancelled one week of school after spring break.  They always can cancel more. 

I'm planning about a week in advance apart from my grocery shopping completed much earlier this week.

/we'll see

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

You sound like the tampons ran out at your local generic brand grocery store.

First of all, let me apologize, I did not anticipate I would have to be stocking up for your fowl play.

37 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Since posting has slowed down a bit.  I'd like to thank the constant posters and readers in this thread.  I was late to the party, which means I was ahead of the general population by days and days.  But being ahead of the curve means I and my family can be a part of squishing or squashing it or whatever it is today.  I look forward to running the world with you degenerates some day.

Lol...the only ones that will be left are the incels that don't reproduce anyway, so we have reached peak humanity.  I weep for those of you who never got to see Jerry Garcia live.

• Like 1

If parents have somebody to look after their kids, there is zero reason for them to be dragging their 3 kids along with them at the grocery store. That is just adding 3 people to the environment to possibly be infected and possibly spread the disease. People are either stupid, ignorant or selfish. They really aren't thinking about this thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

If parents have somebody to look after their kids, there is zero reason for them to be dragging their 3 kids along with them at the grocery store. That is just adding 3 people to the environment to possibly be infected and possibly spread the disease. People are either stupid, ignorant or selfish. They really aren't thinking about this thing.

I think, in general, the populace is not understanding the concept of the asymptotic spread this thing has. Tonight has been another night at work that is no different than any other Saturday night. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:
5 hours ago, Constant said:
Just took a cruise down Commerce through Deep Ellum and it was crowded as fuck. We are not doing a good job. 

Yep. Had some at bottled blonde invite me out. I said no I'm chilling and it's probably dead. They sent a pic of it looking like a normal ass weekend. I hope this shit turns out like every one of them thinks it will

Lol.  Chicago St. Pats was about 50% of its usual shitshow.  Hung out at a couple smaller house parties.  Bottle blonde and the like were more like a regular Saturday, not St. Pats from what we saw walking through River North.  

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

1 minute ago, Constant said:

I think, in general, the populace is not understanding the concept of the asymptotic spread this thing has. Tonight has been another night at work that is no different than any other Saturday night. 

Asymptotic spread.  That will be the death knell for a metric shit ton of olds.  

I am going gain 10 lbs while this shit goes on. We have meals planned out for days.  Wife was told to stay away from the office for 14 days, kids home, it is like a staycation.  All there is to do for 2 weeks is eat, drink, screw, and watch Disney plus and Netflix.  It is not the virus that is going to kill us all it is the going back work.

4 hours ago, RayDog said:

Dr. Johnny Fever who I follow on WKRP radio in Cincinnati, agrees!

Edited by utee94
  • Like 7

I could totally work from home. I'm a software developer for a military defense contractor. HR / leadership has let it known that we are not allowed to work from home even if our jobs allow it because "they can't have everyone working from home". No explanation. They seem to not trust us. It's pretty maddening knowing that my wife and two kids are quarantined at home for two weeks but i'll have to expose them daily because my company doesn't trust us.
That's fucked up. Mid last week my company (software) told everyone globally to work from home, and Friday was the last day any of our offices were open/accessible.

7 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Movie theaters need to do the right thing and start releasing movies to home

I think this will cause studios to make this happen sooner. My freshman buddy from UT has been at Paramount since we graduated...so long time ago...and when we toured the studio @ eight years ago he asked me that question...”would you pay more to watch a movie at home on release versus the theatre?” You’re damn right I would.

Edited by Tailgate

16 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I think this will cause studios to make this happen sooner. My freshman buddy from UT has been at Paramount since we graduated...so long time ago...and when we toured the studio @ eight years ago he asked me that question...”would you pay more to watch a movie at home on release versus the theatre?” You’re damn right I would.

Fuck yes I would.  I hate people and going to the movies since there is always some self important asshole who can't help but check their phone etc during a movie.  You are not that important.  I would much rather stay only couch, my drinks, my food and enjoy a flick.  

• Like 1

I can relate to this because we have always struggled with this in the cybersecurity industry, everything is considered an act of paranoia by outsiders and the measure of a good security program is one where major breaches are avoided. So if you are doing a good job and everything is quiet people question your budget. "Nothing bad happens, why are we spending so much money on security?" On the other side, organizations that get completely owned always throw money at the problem after the horses already left the barn but they are so fucked, it will take over a year and a shit ton of money to clean the place up.

My dad perfected this as a parenting technique. He was the master of yelling “watch out” right after I crashed my bike.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Impossible to guess what June looks like, but she could be looking at many empty chairs at the reception. And if she’s ok with few or no guests, then carry on.

Except in Washington, we’ve seen few deaths so far. When nearby people actually start to die, everyone will get scared. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

6 hours ago, dad said:

Same here, except I’m not a coder.  I guess they figure if DoD is still open, we have to be open too.  Except we have a “no visitors” policy in place now, along with no travel.  So we won’t let any outside people in, we can just all infect ourselves at the office.  

41 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I’m still a kid of the movies, and my favorite moments in life are taking my kids to the movies at Alamo.

That said, I’d applaud the studios if they came up with a way to release new films straight to home, and would gladly pay more. 

• Like 3

Especially since I’m often buying four tickets anyway.

This seem like it’s an absolute perfect time to release a post-apocalyptic film like ‘A Quiet Place 2’ on streaming devices at a charge.  I bet the demand for movies like Outbreak and World War Z are at an all-time high right now.  

I would happily pay Halpert a premium if he dropped his movie on Amazon or AppleTV.  

Edited by Chet Steadman

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away