CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

As two breakthrough cases, my wife and I had a friend text us yesterday telling us to take HCQ and the horse stuff. We were told that if we couldn’t get a human script, to just get the animal version and use online conversation charts. I had previously heard about this and thought the whole thing was a joke until someone close to us earnestly encouraged us to poison ourselves. Won’t take the “experimental vaccine” but will take horse dewormer.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What a world.  

No surprise that our S-E-C friends in College Station have an entire thread multiple threads devoted to ivermectin, leading people to the Tractor Supply. 

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3212043

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3214061

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3164456

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3209148

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3205413

That's not even half of them...

Man, this hurts as a human being to say, but I just don't care anymore. They're willing to risk their lives and endanger others over fucking invisible political points. When the FDA approves the vaccines, they'll just move on to the FDA being in on it and getting a cut of big pharma profits. Fuck it, let some of them die completely needlessly. Frankly, it'll be better for their kids and society in the long run.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mole said:

As two breakthrough cases, my wife and I had a friend text us yesterday telling us to take HCQ and the horse stuff. We were told that if we couldn’t get a human script, to just get the animal version and use online conversation charts. I had previously heard about this and thought the whole thing was a joke until someone close to us earnestly encouraged us to poison ourselves. Won’t take the “experimental vaccine” but will take horse dewormer.

My wife is friends on Facebook with one of our kid's former sitters.  In the past few days, the sitter's common law husband (for lack of a better term) was hospitalized suddenly.  Ex sitter didn't say what for, other than to request prayers, whatnot.  Judging from his  age (40-ish) and his weight, we all have a pretty good idea why.

Wife decided to dig through the sitters facebook feed for clues.  Sure enough, last week she was asking for a treatment for "possible" Covid.  Of the 30 replies, all but one was for wormer.

The lone other reply was to get a shot beforehand.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:38 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

FDA full approval is a necessary step but I don't believe that step will change many individual minds. The one main benefit that I see is that the full approval can bolster an employer's position to require vaccinations from employees. I know they don't need the full FDA approval to require vaccinations but it helps to shut up complaining employees.

It won't matter much.  The assholes will just move on to the next reason to not get vaccinated.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Defund ‘em, imo.

Without knowing the details of the CBA, it seems that failing to comply with a medical requirement would be valid cause to fire union members. The law favors vaccine mandates, so it’s either all bluster or a game of chicken- if I’m Denver, I’d terminate any employee who shirks the directive and let chips fall. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If HISD ignores Abbott’s orders about no mask mandates, it makes me wonder what else we can ignore from Abbott. 

Came here to discuss what happens now. Very similar situation in Florida and DeSantis is threatening to cut off funding. I think if the big school districts in the state band together they can call Abbott's bluff on something like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Without knowing the details of the CBA, it seems that failing to comply with a medical requirement would be valid cause to fire union members. The law favors vaccine mandates, so it’s either all bluster or a game of chicken- if I’m Denver, I’d terminate any employee who shirks the directive and let chips fall. 

This may just be the domestic inroad that Erik Prince’s death squads were waiting for. What are their vaccination rates like?

12 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The lesson, as always.  Dress for the occasion. Not sure pajama pants are the appropriate clothing choice for a formal meeting, but I digress.

Sub-note:  this bitch is fucking crazy.

Asheville NC and area have been fully Floridianed.

I know (knew) an unvaccinated fellow who died of the rona this morning.  He most likely caught it at his daughters wedding a few weeks ago.  He was a decent enough fellow, but I can't bring myself to feel bad for him.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

jurassic park mind blown GIF by Spotify

Yeah, that seems like a great fucking idea.  So glad I have no kids and don't live in Texas.

Here is what I will say in terms of last year - the contact tracing was a fucking joke and may as well have not been done. Here is an actual example that happened:

Track meet - kid from Murcheson middle apparently tested positive the week prior (he was throwing discus)

The NEXT week at a different track meet AISD comes out and says "We are contact tracing ~50-60 kids are exposed and have to leave the track meet". This by now is a fucking week later. We ask the AISD person (as kids were being told they had to quarantine an additional week) "What about siblings?". Response is they don't care about that it is just folks at track meet.

This happened across the board. There was no real, effective contract tracing where they looked at the household and if other members of household were impacted. It was just a giant brushstroke of every kid in X area around someone.

In the case of the track meet, kids were outdoors and used their own equipment. It was fucking stupid (and a week late)

I am all for masking kids up, but the contact tracing approach taken by AISD was stupid. Keep temp checks, mask up the kids and let's go.

I’d imagine antivax tendencies have pretty solid overlap with far right militia white nationalist types. Could kill two birds with one stone by cleaning house.
  • Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

And how many officers can you afford to lose before the PD can't function?  I think a lot of private employers are also doing that calculus.  I think in the end there won't be too many people willing to lose their job over this but it's a risk.

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Very frustrating.  There are a few items that a fairly clear consensus has developed around among immunologists and virologists:

1) 3rd shot mRNA boosters for immunocompromised, elderly, and people in nursing homes. France and Israel have been doing this for a while now. 

2) mRNA booster for people with one adenovirus vector vaccine shot. Widely used in France and Canada and UK for AZ.  No good reason to treat JNJ differently. 

3) Mixing mRNA regimens when necessary is fine.

The CDC hasn't come out with positive guidance on any of this stuff, and until they do physicians will be reluctant to recommend to their patients. Frustrating to be on the tail end of the science here. Few weeks here, few weeks there...cases and deaths add up. 

What's really frustrating for me is I can't convince my 70 year old parents who were vaccinated in Feb to get an illicit 3rd shot. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Defund ‘em, imo.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

these two things back-to-back are hard to read.  while i have a very healthy skepticism for the overall intelligence of city and county law enforcement officers, i still find that first denver statistic really, really shocking.  that is fucking mindblowing.

the second one, while not shocking in the same way, is just depressing.  what an absolute fucking disgrace.  the idea that this state's education leadership is not only actively efforting to enhance the risk and spread of a virulent disease, but also affirmatively eliminating any efforts to isolate the causes across every public school in the state is so utterly contemptible, that it genuinely gives me a sense of embarrassment and oppobrium to be associated with this fucking dumbfuck state.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Fuck.  These.  People.

South Carolina’s longtime Freedom advocate, Pressley Stutts, is a beloved patriot who needs our help due to a sudden turn of events. Pressley recently took on an unexpected battle with the China virus, and as of this writing, is now hospitalized and in ICU. Pressley’s wife Patty was also hospitalized. She has returned home, but in compromised health and may need help.

While praying for a speedy recovery for them both, Pressley’s friends are also practical, and anticipate what could be a long, slow recovery, due to the severity of his illness. Thus, the many unknowns in this scenario have inspired us to create this account in anticipation of large medical bills and loss of income.

58975193_1628215545572325_r.

Anything you can contribute will alleviate some of the financial stress that accompanies a serious hospitalization. Your gift will also help Pressley resume - as soon as physically possible - his brave, consistent and vocal protection of constitutional freedoms, conservative values and making America great again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fuck face

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-05/house-lawmaker-suing-pelosi-over-mask-rule-says-he-has-covid

Columbia, S.C. (AP) -- Rep. Ralph Norman, one of the three congressional Republicans suing Speaker Nancy Pelosi over fines for not wearing masks during a vote on the U.S. House floor, has contracted a breakthrough case of COVID-19, the second member of South Carolina's delegation to do so.

Norman, who has said he has been fully vaccinated since February, tweeted that he began experiencing minor symptoms of COVID-19 on Thursday, tested positive for the virus that day and would quarantine for 10 days.

Representing South Carolina's 5th District since 2017, Norman is part of a federal lawsuit against Pelosi over a mandate earlier this year that members wear masks while on the House floor.

Last week, Norman and U.S. Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia and Thomas Massie of Kentucky sued Pelosi, seeking a determination that their $500 fines — issued because they went maskless during a May vote — are unconstitutional and should be rescinded.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just an update.  I think I'm starting to get a little bit of smell back.  Taste is still not really there.  I'm one week in from the first day I started to feel symptoms.  Still a bit of headache and sinus pressure.  A tiny cough, but that was never bad.  Feels like I'm coming out of it and hoping to be back to normal by Sunday or Monday.  Still have to quarantine for another week.  Glad I am vaccinated because I can imagine it being WAY worse.

I noticed that I could vaguely smell my kid’s play doh last night. There’s also a hint of ammonia in everything that I smell. I’ve read that some people get a fecal smell to everything, so I’ll take the ammonia.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, trauma babe said:

I don't post while I'm at work very often, but seeing the state of things tonight...

Stay at home! Keep yourself and your loved ones safe! Don't do stupid things that can land you in the hospital right now. There are no fucking beds and no fucking nurses to take care of you. 

I'm about to double admit two middle-aged man who thought it would be a real lark to get on those fucking scooters after drinking a lot. Now their brains are bleeding and they're going to unnecessarily take up two of our last beds so we can keep an eye on their dumb asses for a day or two. 

Don't be dumb. 

And get vaxxed if you haven't already ffs 

Shit’s borked, yo.

• Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Mole said:

I noticed that I could vaguely smell my kid’s play doh last night. There’s also a hint of ammonia in everything that I smell. I’ve read that some people get a fecal smell to everything, so I’ll take the ammonia.

When were you first sick?

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

One of those chips will be the data that shows crime didn't go up when a substantial fraction of the police force is dismissed. Response times will likely suffer. 

House lawmaker suing Pelosi over mask rule says he has COVID

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Rep. Ralph Norman, one of the three congressional Republicans suing Speaker Nancy Pelosi over fines for not wearing masks during a vote on the U.S. House floor, has contracted a breakthrough case of COVID-19, the second member of South Carolina's delegation to do so.

Norman, who has said he has been fully vaccinated since February, tweeted that he began experiencing minor symptoms of COVID-19 on Thursday, tested positive for the virus that day and would quarantine for 10 days.

Representing South Carolina's 5th District since 2017, Norman is part of a federal lawsuit against Pelosi over a mandate earlier this year that members wear masks while on the House floor.

Last week, Norman and U.S. Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia and Thomas Massie of Kentucky sued Pelosi, seeking a determination that their $500 fines — issued because they went maskless during a May vote — are unconstitutional and should be rescinded.

“The masking requirement was an attempt to prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, medicine, and science, despite a deep divide over these issues of opinion,” lawyers for the members wrote, arguing that masks were required “in televised areas only" in the chamber.

“It has been used to force Plaintiffs and other members of the minority party to be instruments for fostering public adherence to this ideological point of view that Plaintiffs find unacceptable,” they added.

The trio had challenged the fines in June, arguing that the mandate was out of sync with recent federal guidance on face coverings during the COVID-19 pandemic. Their appeal failed.

The May vote in question happened a week after the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued guidance noting that “fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing.”

Even after that updated CDC guidance, Dr. Brian Monahan, Congress’ attending physician, wrote that “mask requirement and other guidelines remain unchanged until all Members and floor staff are fully vaccinated.”

The mask requirement was lifted June 11 but has since been revived because of a resurgence of the coronavirus. As cases of the virus increase, the CDC has updated its recommendations to include a return to masking indoors, even for fully vaccinated individuals.

Recent analysis has shown that breakthrough cases of COVID-19, with mild or no symptoms, still remain rare, but Norman is the second South Carolina Republican this week to report one.

On Thursday, Sen. Lindsey Graham told The Associated Press that he was improving after a handful of “pretty tough days,” suffering he said he was sure would have been worse had he not been vaccinated. He also told AP he has urged former President Donald Trump to “speak up” and urge his supporters to get the vaccine.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/house-lawmaker-suing-pelosi-mask-rule-covid-79296798?cid=clicksource_4380645_1_heads_hero_live_headlines_hed

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

When were you first sick?

Post nasal drip started Thursday last week I think. Tested negative over the weekend and then positive early this week. Worst day was probably Wednesday where I had a fair bit of shortness of breath. I never had real chest congestion, just a stuffed up nose and felt winded. Last fever was maybe Monday night.

I’m sure these would be classified as mild symptoms, but it’s also the sickest I’ve been on many years. And it’s a weird sickness that doesn’t seem to progress in the right order.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I know (knew) an unvaccinated fellow who died of the rona this morning.  He most likely caught it at his daughters wedding a few weeks ago.  He was a decent enough fellow, but I can't bring myself to feel bad for him.

When death is all around, humans find ways to cope.

In WWII, as many of you likely know, battlefield soldiers wouldn't want to know a replacement's name or befriend him because replacements often didn't last long. Same with fighter plane groups. The pain of losing their original comrades led them to stay remote from new pilots entering the squadron.

Only in the last 100 or so years have people in Western countries assumed they'd be around for old age. Now death is rare and hidden. 

In college, I had a crisis over how many of the people in the world suffered while I had it so easy. It almost swallowed me up. I matured. I cannot save the world. I cannot care about every individual in the world. I just do what I can in my immediate area.

When my beloved relates the story of how a co-worker she barely knows lost a daughter in a car accident, I don't share her distress. I see the fact of the impact on the co-worker. I'd prefer that it didn't happen. I won't generate feelings about it.

On the other hand, I can be moved by a story involving a celebrity. I'm still downhearted when I think of Phil Harman being murdered by his wife. I can't stop that feeling.

Long post. We'll likely be seeing more death from Delta and even more from whatever mutates from that and races through unvaccinated Idiot World. Trauma Babe will need medication and a sabbatical as will all the health workers caught up in a plague we never thought would come...and stay.

I'm definitely going to self-lockdown, wear the mask, keep my distance, and helplessly watch. And grow emotionally hardened.

Detachment is the only way to emotionally survive. Irony World.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

“In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then he made school boards.”

― Mark Twain, Following the Equator: A Journey Around the World

With the idiots as the electorate, what would the Big G expect? The idiots created school boards for Him.

Side note: I would like a constitutional amendment forbidding the naming of schools after retiring school board members. I'd probably add a rider about naming aircraft carrers after presidents. I liked Wasp, Hornet, Lexington, and I'd even allow the Nimitz, but no presidents.

• Like 1