Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 9/7/2018 at 1:24 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

These are the same shitheads that force you to choose an opinion-based password reset/verification question and answer. 

I'm an adult. I don't have a favorite color. Or a single favorite food.

Or the questions you have to choose from are so meaninglessly broad and/or stupid that you couldn't ever possibly answer it the same way after significant passage of time. One of the most terrible questions I've seen was "Who did you look up to as a child?"

And I understand that these sorts of things can't be looked up, theoretically making them more secure, but many of them sure as shit can't be consistently reproduced, either. 

I have the same answer to every question. 1234. No matter what the question is, the answer is always 1234.

*(it's not actually 1234, but is a 4 digit number that has absolutely nothing to do with anything real in my life, like a birthdate or something)

23 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I bought a replacement power cord for my phone. Holy shit was it damn near impossible to get out of the packaging. The plastic tag that's used to hang it on a display stand was glued on so tight I couldn't pull it off. That made it impossible to pry open the tab on the top of the box. So I tore open the box from the bottom but there was another little wall inside blocking access to the cord.

So I used an X-Acto knife to get in through the top of the box and ripped off half of the front so I could remove the cord. Then the cord was wrapped with two thick paper tabs that couldn't be torn off manually. I had to use the knife again, making little cuts, trying not to damage the cord. The packaging was in shreds by the time I got the cord free. JFC.

That happened to me when I was traveling. Was a few hours drive away and realized I forgot my charger, so I stopped at a Walmart and bought one. Finally gave up on it until I got to hotel and asked the front counter lady for some scissors. 

2 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

That happened to me when I was traveling. Was a few hours drive away and realized I forgot my charger, so I stopped at a Walmart and bought one. Finally gave up on it until I got to hotel and asked the front counter lady for some scissors. 

and if you aren't careful - you finally get a piece of the plastic cut open and pull. The rest of the plastic cuts you like a razor

I have the same answer to every question. 1234. No matter what the question is, the answer is always 1234.

*(it's not actually 1234, but is a 4 digit number that has absolutely nothing to do with anything real in my life, like a birthdate or something)

Is 1234 your pin code too? Asking for a friend.

In the new Netflix movie “Sierra Burgess is a Loser,” they show a great texting convo between an iPhone and Android. On the iPhone it shows the typing bubble. That isn’t a thing for iPhone to android on Phone text converstions. You suck nerds at Netflix 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

When you buy glasses or sunglasses, they never give you a new sample from the box.  It's always the model on display.  The ones with hundreds of greasy paws and finger prints and antitheft device and probably bent to hell.

It's like this from every shop in every country I've ever bought from.

When they went to studio at halftime of the USC-Stanford game there were big logos of Fresno State and Minnesota on the screen behind the desk. The first thing they did was to spend five minutes showing highlights of the USC-Stanford game. (Um, yeah, I know. I've been watching. Maybe save those for the last segment for people tuning in late.) Then they showed highlights of a bunch of other games. The Fresno State-Minnesota game wasn't one of them. 

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

When you buy glasses or sunglasses, they never give you a new sample from the box.  It's always the model on display.  The ones with hundreds of greasy paws and finger prints and antitheft device and probably bent to hell.

It's like this from every shop in every country I've ever bought from.

From where in the world are you buying eyeglasses?  I've never been sold the display pair for the very reasons you listed out. 

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

From where in the world are you buying eyeglasses?  I've never been sold the display pair for the very reasons you listed out. 

Multiple times at sunglass hut in US; independent stores in turkey, hungary, italy, Amsterdam airport. 

These are 100-400$ pairs, not throwaway pieces.

Half my pairs I buy online so at least they're probably right from the distribution box, but the times you do impulse buy at the store it's annoying.  They squirt the lens, give it a quick rub, and the "it's the only sample we have"

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Got damn credit card hacked AGAIN.  Seems to happen about once a year these days.  Now I have to go through and find and change everything that's on autopay.

Pro tip: open a card that is only used for autopay expenses and nothing else. Much less likely (but obviously not impossible) to get hacked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Got damn credit card hacked AGAIN.  Seems to happen about once a year these days.  Now I have to go through and find and change everything that's on autopay.

If that makes you surly, try running a small business where 70% of your revenue is from customers on autopay.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

Why don’t you explain it to me?

I'd be happy to. Perhaps it would help if you could first tell me why people joining in a discussion about a shared interest bothers you. That goes for any subject on an Internet message board, really. But, for the purpose of our conversation, let's just focus on people talking about the game they're watching. How does that make you feel?

47 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The first 10-15 seconds to benny and the jets. Elton is playing  the piano, we all know what song it is, but it still takes the audience to start clapping up right until he starts to sing the song.WTF? start clapping right away after the first piano note.

The original version wasn’t really live. Studio trickery in an attempt to make it sound more interesting. 

Use two cards. One for auto pay and one for everything else. I started doing that a few years ago after dealing with this bullshit too often.

Edit: What Prepuce said.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Use two cards. One for auto pay and one for everything else. I started doing that a few years ago after dealing with this bullshit too often.

But I want the points dammit.

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Same here. Always gotten a new pair in new package. The one time they were out I had to repeatedly ask them to sell me the display pair since I didn't have time to wait for them to transfer one in. I mostly buy at Costco, but same experiences at Sunglasses Hut.

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's that time of year again so perhaps a reminder is needed. 

I don't care about your fantasy football team. That's your fantasy, not mine. Stop telling me about it. I'm not paying attention. 

I like watching real teams play real games. You're doing it wrong. 

fucking Lev'eon screwed me over this week. 

• Haha 1

Fantasy football discussion is the same as any topic really.  If I'm inclined to mention it to someone in small talk, I'll usually ask if they play.  If they say no, I'll think of something else to talk about.  It's pretty much the same with any topic.  If the person doesn't have kids, I won't really talk about parenting stuff.  If you're not into running, or cycling like me, I'll likely avoid talks about it.  On the other hand, I don't mind people discussing their unique interests, even if it's not my thing, and most people I talk with who don't share my interests are willing to do the same.  If you are a boring person and act snotty when I talk about something that interests me (there being nothing else to really discuss besides the weather) maybe the problem is you.

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Fantasy football discussion is the same as any topic really.  If I'm inclined to mention it to someone in small talk, I'll usually ask if they play.  If they say no, I'll think of something else to talk about.  It's pretty much the same with any topic.  If the person doesn't have kids, I won't really talk about parenting stuff.  If you're not into running, or cycling like me, I'll likely avoid talks about it.  On the other hand, I don't mind people discussing their unique interests, even if it's not my thing, and most people I talk with who don't share my interests are willing to do the same.  If you are a boring person and act snotty when I talk about something that interests me (there being nothing else to really discuss besides the weather) maybe the problem is you.

We could always talk about your wife's tits.

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2018 at 11:59 AM, Rimbo said:

Password validators that force you to make a less-secure password.

Oh, you mean I can't use certain characters in my password? Lovely! I'll make sure I only use easily-guessable dictionary words for storing my banking information with you, you miserable fucks.

Actually studies show using phrases is more secure.

Fire Tom Herman is more secure than Monday2018!

Edited by mycox

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

We have a rule in our house, for myself and 2 grown ass sons who grew up playing Nintendo/PS/XBox and fantasy football:  Nobody in mixed company wants to hear about how Eric Hipple almost scored 35 pts for your fucking team any more than they want to hear about your adventures with Spyro or Master Chief.  If it’s one off and the other person asks, then that is cool, otherwise, don’t bring it up.