Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

10 hours ago, 'stache said:

Two step verification is the most annoying shit ever.  I would bet money it hasn't stopped a single hacker.  I'm pretty sure its security theater, like taking your shoes off at the airport.

tenor.gif?itemid=5426034

Stops bots that harvest credentials, prevents brute-force attacks.  Not a huge fan of it myself, but the benefits are definitely there. 

ETA: Hell, I even wrote a script that would blast the shag with scat pron (or whatever else you wanted), but all you really have to do to disable most forms of automation is slap a CAPTCHA on there.  /SysAdmin

Edited by PvilleStang

44 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Stops bots that harvest credentials, prevents brute-force attacks.  Not a huge fan of it myself, but the benefits are definitely there. 

ETA: Hell, I even wrote a script that would blast the shag with scat pron (or whatever else you wanted), but all you really have to do to disable most forms of automation is slap a CAPTCHA on there.  /SysAdmin

That's good to hear. I read an article the other day that said 2FA wasn't effective. 

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They're great when the pizza is hot and fresh. They're not as good the next day and I like to eat my leftover pizza cold so I never order them. Same with mushrooms.

Get a pizza. Half with mushrooms, onions and peppers. Half without.

Eat the half with the veggies while hot. Refrigerate the other half and eat cold without.

Win. Win.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

tried getting a haircut today at one of those no appointment needed, $15 dollar/haircut places. I was told it would be a 45 minute wait even tho nobody was sitting in the lobby and 2 girls were standing behind the desk BS'ing, I followed 1 employee into the place, and 1 was getting done with a customer and they were walking to the front to pay. So im at 4 potential stylists that could squeeze me in for a 15 min quickie but nope.

Most have online check in apps and for some reason they put them at the front of the queue.  Here you are a customer ready to get a haircut and pay right now, but you are fifth in line behind a bunch of people that may not even show.

Most have online check in apps and for some reason they put them at the front of the queue.  Here you are a customer ready to get a haircut and pay right now, but you are fifth in line behind a bunch of people that may not even show.

Good point. Never looked into that place, not sure if it's big enough to have an online app feature as it has a few stores but not sure how many.

Just looked..nothing in google play

6 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

imgur

21 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I got one.

Drove home from work the other day behind a Chrysler Minivan.  The rear wiper blade/assembly was missing - but the "nub" attached to the wiper motor was still attached. . .and it was on.  Sat in a traffic jam for about 10 minutes watching that little nub move back and forth.  Sunny, clear day too - I wonder how long it's been on?

Incredibly trivial but it made me surly.

Was it a silver Town and Country? Get off my ass and myob.

I have gotten 47 phone calls to my work phone in the last 3 days from "microsoft" informing me that my licensing has expired and I need to call in and get it renewed.

For shits and giggles I called back and a dude in a deep smoker's voice and a long island accent said "thank you for calling microsoft what is your credit card number"

I wonder how many people have fallen for this scam?

1. seeing something on craigslist
  2. contacting person to buy the item they have for sale
  3. don't hear anything for 4 days
  4. get a txt with an address and a time to meet them that evening
  5. reconfirm price and let them know I'm buying it
  6. seller agrees
  7. call to confirm they will be there before leaving....  "oh I just sold it"

Edited by Loco
  • Like 2

But you do get fucked

The lyrics to Live and Let Die by Paul McCartney drive me nuts.  "But in this ever changing world in which we live in" is just wrong.  It should either be, "But in this ever changing world in which we live", or "But in this ever changing world we live in".  Using "in" twice in that sentence is just stupid.  The classic rock station that I listen to has been playing this a lot lately and every time I hear it i want to punch my radio.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

But you do get fucked

The lyrics to Live and Let Die by Paul McCartney drive me nuts.  "But in this ever changing world in which we live in" is just wrong.  It should either be, "But in this ever changing world in which we live", or "But in this ever changing world we live in".  Using "in" twice in that sentence is just stupid.  The classic rock station that I listen to has been playing this a lot lately and every time I hear it i want to punch my radio.

Good luck with all that..... I just let it go, the small stuff that is.

So, do the lyrics to Louie Louie drive you nuts ?

On 8/22/2018 at 12:32 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Perhaps kids are less likely to die inside cars during cooler months, and "child left in car for a while and later found to be just fine" doesn't get as much media coverage? 

I think what Vic means is that you don't hear about some guy or gal in Wisconsin that left their baby in the car for 10 hours one January day and it froze to death.

22 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

But you do get fucked

I have to agree with you. When I hear that song I try to plug in "in which we're living" on top of it and it seems to help me cope a little.

• Like 2

Radio stations that play edited/shortened/hacked up versions of songs. When I'm listening to 70s on 7 I'm just as anxious as the next guy to hear Muskrat Love but if you're playing Slow Ride before it, dammit, play the whole thing! That goes for Life's Been Good and Long Time as well.

Edited by BikeRoute

23 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

But you do get fucked

I heard the unedited version of Money for Nothing in Shreveport last week.

So offended...lolz.

I just bought a G-Shock watch on Amazon and now my recommendations contain about 36 other G-Shock watches. MFer, I just bought it, why would I want another one?

As a guy with 10 g-shocks, you might be surprised how easy it is to talk yourself into another.

But I get it. Whomever designs a system that removes ads for things you already bought will be my hero. I hate that phenomenon.

I bought it. Advertising worked. Now you are wasting money.

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

that cliched video technique where a group of people are standing in a circle and the camera circles them (from the outside or in)....gives me a fucking headache

How about every sports intro that has the subject looking at the ground, then slowly looking up into the camera. God, fuck that shit.

• Like 1

I ordered Texadelphia through uber eats the other night as it was a crazy day for the convinced household.  Ordered queso, we received no queso.  I just received a notification from uber that they credited me $4.75 for the queso.  Bravo uber and thank you for resolving my issue relatively quickly.  Fuck you uber for not crediting me the sales tax as well.  I’m not going to go on a jihad over 35 cents, but if this is uber’s policy, they are stealing the sales tax on every incorrect order.  

14 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I ordered Texadelphia through uber eats the other night as it was a crazy day for the convinced household.  Ordered queso, we received no queso.  I just received a notification from uber that they credited me $4.75 for the queso.  Bravo uber and thank you for resolving my issue relatively quickly.  Fuck you uber for not crediting me the sales tax as well.  I’m not going to go on a jihad over 35 cents, but if this is uber’s policy, they are stealing the sales tax on every incorrect order.  

"I ordered Texadelphia..."

Your first mistake.

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I did some research as I have dreams of something similar. 

Yeah, it can be done, but you have to freight your vehicle essentially in Panama most commonly to Brazil, IIRC.

It is a big pain in the ass, and if you want to get it home, freight from the south to north again.

Pro tips I read are buy a vehicle specifically for the trip and sell it down there. Plan on the frieght time of 2-3 weeks, iirc.

Panama to Colombia, actually. Just through the Darien gap.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1663557,-118.3462193,3a,75y,42h,89.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfBKDMp5K2mvm2AEtOMp7yA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Not really making me surly (maybe to a degree) but definitley lulz-worthy.  I constantly get "funding" offers from the likes of SELECT FUNDING BUSINESS PLATINUM CARD with the handsome credit limit of $250,000.00 in the mail from the address shown in the link.

I'm sure the payment terms and interest rate is very low.  Maybe use the funds to throw a Surly party.  Since the business address is in Los Angeles, CA, I probably need to ge @Sbbruin or @Gil Bang to go check out the bona fides of this operation. 

I mean the place reeks of legit, right?

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1663557,-118.3462193,3a,75y,42h,89.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfBKDMp5K2mvm2AEtOMp7yA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Not really making me surly (maybe to a degree) but definitley lulz-worthy.  I constantly get "funding" offers from the likes of SELECT FUNDING BUSINESS PLATINUM CARD with the handsome credit limit of $250,000.00 in the mail from the address shown in the link.

I'm sure the payment terms and interest rate is very low.  Maybe use the funds to throw a Surly party.  Since the business address is in Los Angeles, CA, I probably need to ge @Sbbruin or @Gil Bang to go check out the bona fides of this operation. 

I mean the place reeks of legit, right?

Ha, that place is about a mile from my office.  But hey, don't judge a book by its cover.