Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

Thoughts and prayers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/10/16/power-up-how-much-problem-is-trump-job-your-resume-some-republicans-are-starting-wonder/

Four years ago, some Republicans who said unsavory things during the campaign about the new president worried such remarks might ruin their chances of redemption via employment in the Trump administration.

Today, some of those same Republicans are now quietly on the job hunt  as President Trump’s standing in the polls continues to slide against Joe Biden with decision time in just 18 days. But now, these GOPers are hoping the Trump presidency isn’t a disqualifying blemish on their resumes or permanent Google footprint as the door revolves the other way and they seek to land, once again, in the private sector.

Gaining distance from Trump and some of his more incendiary statements is likely to be an easier task for some alumni than others.

Take Sean Spicer, for example, the most prominent example of a former Trump White House whose life after Trump has been heavily scrutinized. As the administration’s first press secretary, Spicer was forever memorialized by Melissa McCarthy’s brutal satire on Saturday Night Live — Trump’s gripe with the sendup was that Spicer was played by a woman — and for fantastically clinging to inflated totals of the crowd size that witnessed Trump’s inauguration. Spicer later said he regretted such claims.

Since leaving the administration three years ago, Spicer has landed a few gigs on television, such as a contestant with ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars” and a show on conservative-leaning Newsmax TV. He’s also penned two books.

But his career arc has veered far from the usual gigs secured by former White House press secretaries and senior administration officials. There’s been no cushy landing on K Street or high-profile consultancy at a major lobbying or public relations firm. It’s a fate that might be befall many others in Trumpworld if the president loses — or even if they don’t relish staying on through a second term.

Spoiler

“There’s always a market for lobbyists but look at someone like Spicer who had high-profile gigs in the White House and where did he land?” Amanda Carpenter, a Trump critic, CNN contributor and former aide to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) noted. “He’s a host on Newsmax right now. That’s not the kind of leg up to high-profile communications in the corporate world that’s the typical path … If he can’t do it, I think people with such a high profile will have similar problems.”

Spicer appreciates the concern but says he’s doing just fine. He’s thankful for all of the opportunities he says he’s had since leaving the White House. “I’m living a very happy life and provide for my family and children and for that I am very grateful,” said Spicer.

If Trump loses, “it’ll be challenging for Republicans everywhere” to find a new job, Spicer added. That’s just the way of Washington, where "[people] suck up to people with power and they let go of people who let go of it.”

Over a dozen Republican strategists, former Trump administration staffers, current Capitol Hill hands, and associates close to the Trump White House predict that many graduates of the Trump administration could have a tough time sticking a land in the private sector.

They say Trump’s shaky standing in the campaign — and his pull on down-ballot races — is already making Republicans especially nervous.

“Quiet conversations in Gmail are more active now than would be expected a month before an election,” said a senior Republican strategist who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive conversations. “I have a buddy in the administration who is starting to quietly move his resume around and he’s noticed people who he thought would be quicker to respond to inquiries have been less so. He called it ‘the Trump stink. How much Trump stink is on my resume right now?'”

For some Trump officials, leaving the administration for the corporate world could be seamless and welcome — a necessary pit stop to refuel before placing their bets on a horse for the 2024 race. And job churn is always inevitable if there’s a transfer of power in Washington.

“Americans have short memories,” Rodney Faraon, a former CIA analyst and member of the president’s daily brief team in the Clinton and George W. Bush administrations, who is now a partner with Martin+Crumpton Group. “One would think that the GOP would, as John McCain would say, ‘return to normal order,’ and then we can finally debate issues on the basis of real substance. But that’s the big $64,000 question. What happens to the GOP after Trump?”

Former staffers who have departed the administration are already finding out. There has been record turnover in what has been a chaotic and fast-moving administration. 

Countless former Trump aides have landed smoothly on their feet. And some ex-administration and campaign officials have found refuge in the Trump reelection campaign, the Republican National Committee or in conservative media. Others who came to Washington to work for Trump were never going to slip in and out of the institutional D.C. class — and aren’t likely to try to do so in a post-Trump world.

And that might be a good thing. While the revolving door between government and corporate America has swung swiftly for decades and made many former officials wealthy, it also has been the source of intense criticism from good government groups who argue it has a corrupting influence on public policy.

But Republicans say the former Trump aides most successful in making the transition are those who already had deep connections inside the Beltway. Those aides also stayed further away from the more controversial issues and investigations that have riddled the White House, these Republicans pointed out.

“Pence’s staff will be insulated more,” argued another GOP strategist who still works in Washington. “Especially as after-action reports come out about the role he played and the impact he was able to have on bigger decisions. His team ends up in a different boat.”

And, for some in Trumpworld, flouting the political-industrial complex and heading back to New York might be a relief. That group could include Trump’s family members, such as Ivanka and her husband, Jared Kushner, who serve as senior White House advisers. But as the president’s children have assumed more fulsome roles in the Republican Party, it’s unlikely they’ll fade into obscurity.

Trump is “going to get a lot of votes and win a lot of states and there are elected officials who have tied their boats not just to Trump but the movement and there will be plenty of opportunities for people to ride that movement,” a Trump campaign staffer told us. “But yes, it is hard to move into the corporate world. There’s just that stigma of being a Trump person. ”

Red lines: CEOs and businesses have become increasingly critical of the president for stoking racial rancor. Republicans who now work with Fortune 500 companies agree that any public defense of Trump on race and immigration — the hot-button issues on which Trump has staked his presidency — are the most problematic public positions to have taken for those seeking corporate gigs.

For others, like a former longtime intelligence officer who now works in the corporate world, red lines on hiring include a track record of politicizing intelligence, along with defending Trump on issues of race.

“If you’re against Black Lives Matter, if you’re pro-Proud Boys,and stuff like that? I won’t look at you at all,” the former officer noted.

“Good talented people will always be in demand in D.C. if you’re coming from an agency and understand policies that animate the marketplace,” said the first GOP strategist. “The challenge is when you actually get closer to the president himself. When you look at the people who have been defending the president vocally and are explaining some of the things he’s done, then things get trickier.”

The longtime GOP strategist who runs a public affairs firm that works with corporate clients recalled coming close to hiring a former Trump White House staffer until a Google search revealed the prospective hire’s track record defending Trump on race and immigration. It ground the interview process to a halt, the strategist said.

“A lot of people who came into this in 2015 and 2016, they knew that there would be a stigma going into this — and it’ll likely last for a very long time,” said a Trump campaign staffer. “Probably for the rest of their lives. I don’t think that’s lost on anyone. ”

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It should disqualify you from a being a line cook at Denny's on the goddamned night shift.  Any enterprise that employs any Trump official should be shamed, boycotted, and driven out of business if at all possible.  Their only possible employment should be in continuing echo chambers for their nuttery, like Fox and OANN.  That's it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I mean, I hear where you are coming from, but now Cube has to face the music with the Black Community, and then when nothing comes of his collusion he will see his mistake.

I think he has already weighed that out.    I don't see this choice as a decision for him where there is a clear winner/loser in the mix.  This is not like coming across a baby alone in the park and deciding not to kick it.  99 out of 100 of us would seek help for the baby.   The bribe has basically worked for him... and he seems torn up about it. 

and ISWYDT and appreciate it.  +Rep

Today, some of those same Republicans are now quietly on the job hunt  as President Trump’s standing in the polls continues to slide against Joe Biden with decision time in just 18 days. But now, these GOPers are hoping the Trump presidency isn’t a disqualifying blemish on their resumes or permanent Google footprint as the door revolves the other way and they seek to land, once again, in the private sector.

Fuck 'em all. Let them move to a deserted island where they can spend all day jacking each other off for nickels. Of course Pence would soon corner the market on nickels and there would have to be some form of wealth re-distribution. That will be terribly vexing.

Nah.....who am I kidding, Pence would then just start paying everybody a nickel to let him jack them off, and they will have created the perfect GOP economy. 

Edited by Blotto

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

It's impossible he's this stupid.  They don't have one fucking intern in the comms department that knows Babylon Bee is like the Onion? 

I guess they do background on websites with the same patriotic dedication as background on Russian donors.  

You seriously think there is someone who reviews this stuff? He tweets from the shitter like the rest of us, ain’t no one gonna stop him.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You seriously think there is someone who reviews this stuff? He tweets from the shitter like the rest of us, ain’t no one gonna stop him.

Can you imagine somebody running to the residence at breakneck speed to get him to delete the Babylon Bee share ASAFP? I can.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It should disqualify you from a being a line cook at Denny's on the goddamned night shift.

I don't know, there would be a certain satisfaction in watching Stephen Miller prepare my Moons Over My Hammy @ 2:45am on a Sunday morning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If he doesn't, can we please stop predicting that he's going to publicly drop the N-word? He's too well trained to do that. It's not going to happen. 

I doubt he ever used the N word much. It isn't something racist rich Manhattanites really say. Its more commonly said by racist southerners or, to a lesser extent, racist working class Brooklynites. 

Trump always learned to talk about black people and poor people in code. Its natural to him. Direct slurs arent that natural to him.  He has come close to using slurs against Asians and Latinos since he wasn't trained otherwise for them, but even with them he usually uses code instead. If he was really going to drop a direct slur, it will be an anti-gay one. It would have been "okay" through his entire upbringing and would have been commonly used in his social circles up until the mid 1990s. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

I doubt he ever used the N word much. It isn't something racist rich Manhattanites really say. Its more commonly said by racist southerners or, to a lesser extent, racist working class Brooklynites. 

Trump always learned to talk about black people and poor people in code. Its natural to him. Direct slurs arent that natural to him.  He has come close to using slurs against Asians and Latinos since he wasn't trained otherwise for them, but even with them he usually uses code instead. If he was really going to drop a direct slur, it will be an anti-gay one. It would have been "okay" through his entire upbringing and would have been commonly used in his social circles up until the mid 1990s. 

If Fred didn’t use it, then he probably didn’t pick it up as casual lingo.  As a descendent of West Austin WASPs, it was considered “uncouth” amongst my grandfather’s crowd.  That didn’t mean they weren’t racist AF, but I never heard it around the house except when the country cousins came over. 

Edited by Bateshorn

15 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

If Fred didn’t use it, then he probably didn’t pick it up as casual lingo.  As a descendent of West Austin WASPs, it was considered “uncouth” amongst my grandfather’s crowd.  That didn’t mean they weren’t racist AF, but I never heard it around the house except when the country cousins came over. 

Ah yes, the old smirking-knowing glances as they reach for the Brazil nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Trump Codenames

• Black men = Thugs and Antifa (New)
  • Black women = nasty women
  • Middle Eastern descent = People who should go back to the shitholes where they came from (Even those that were born here and are sitting congress people)
  • Hispanic = Rapists and Murderers
  • Asian = He likes to use Kung-Flu

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/07/donald-trump-racist-tweets-to-congresswomen/594295/

• Like 1

now think about how stupid someone would have to be to think he’s smart.  tons of people think that.  100% of those people are Republicans/Republican voters.  

Was literally just thinking this passing all the Trump flags in my neighborhood on my way to buy more booze earlier. Imagine thinking this is the guy for the job. Mind bottling.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
21 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:
now think about how stupid someone would have to be to think he’s smart.  tons of people think that.  100% of those people are Republicans/Republican voters.  

Was literally just thinking this on my way to buy more booze earlier. Imagine thinking this is the guy for the job. Mind bottling.

Imagine the dumbest, most corrupt M'fer ever to hold office actually having a legit chance to be re-elected and then realizing that's the country you live in

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Trump Codenames

• Black men = Thugs and Antifa (New)
  • Black women = nasty women
  • Middle Eastern descent = People who should go back to the shitholes where they came from (Even those that were born here and are sitting congress people)
  • Hispanic = Rapists and Murderers
  • Asian = He likes to use Kung-Flu

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/07/donald-trump-racist-tweets-to-congresswomen/594295/

The new code for black is "BLM member". Antifa is code for white protester.