COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

On 1/7/2022 at 7:08 PM, Johnny Sack said:

It is beyond frustrating that our leadership and heath care professionals who are on tv all the time don't explicitly state this enough where everyone can understand the actual risks.  There is a sizeable part of our population who truly believes if they get Covid it's 50-50 on whether they end up on a ventilator.

That’s because part of our population is quite sizeable and very well might. 

Classic particularly aggy coach, continuing to bang the "COVID is no big deal" drum.

4 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

We’ve needed a plague for a long goddamned time and now we have one and y’all are trying to get the stupid NOT to fuck around and find out?!

Well it's moreso our friends and family that are immunocompromised, old AF, or actively fighting cancer, and we'd rather not have joe chud carrying plague and doing less than nothing about it

6 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

I have the cron. 75% of my daughter's class this week is out.  the last 2 days headache, sneezed for a half a day.  Did not get tested. Head is kinda hurting like the 1st round which was brutal. So mild. Can we wrap up this disease? I am dirty unvaxxed but natural immunity. I got banned by a psycho lady for saying natural immunity is as a good as vax.  then she got the covid with 3 shots.  I was right all along.

So you had covid twice? When was the first time?

6 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

I have the cron. 75% of my daughter's class this week is out.  the last 2 days headache, sneezed for a half a day.  Did not get tested. Head is kinda hurting like the 1st round which was brutal. So mild. Can we wrap up this disease? I am dirty unvaxxed but natural immunity. I got banned by a psycho lady for saying natural immunity is as a good as vax.  then she got the covid with 3 shots.  I was right all along.

Oh, look who is back with his COVID and VACCINE misinformation bullshit.  Get the fuck out of here.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Let's see if you carry a natural immunity to crowd sourcing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

My brother tested positive for COVID yesterday.  He's vaxed + boosted about a month ago.  As far as transmission goes, Omicron doesn't seem to care.  But his symptoms are mild, some coughing, a little fatigue and some achiness.  He thought it was probably cedar allergies which hit us both really bad this time of year, but the cough isn't a typical symptom, so he got himself tested and sure enough was positive.  

50 minutes ago, utee94 said:

My brother tested positive for COVID yesterday.  He's vaxed + boosted about a month ago.  As far as transmission goes, Omicron doesn't seem to care.  But his symptoms are mild, some coughing, a little fatigue and some achiness.  He thought it was probably cedar allergies which hit us both really bad this time of year, but the cough isn't a typical symptom, so he got himself tested and sure enough was positive.  

Passive Aggressive Coach was right!

• Haha 2

We had a vax’d employee at work yesterday start getting a sore throat. Went home and tested, he was positive. So we send the rest of the crew per our standard procedure.  One of them tested positive. However, he was vax’d in August AND he had coronavirus in December (two positive tests. It wasnt asymptotic either, he was sick. It’s been almost 3 weeks since his negative tests after symptoms went away. We sent him to get tested again this morning and it was negative. At this point, with the other negative tests he’d had prior to yesterday, I have to assume it was just a false positive. 

i went almost two years with no one in my social circle or even an acquaintaince getting it. 

in the past two weeks EIGHT people in my immediate, close social circle/family have gotten it. all vaxed, all mild. 

i am definitely in the 'it's just a matter of timing now' camp. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i went almost two years with no one in my social circle or even an acquaintaince getting it. 

in the past two weeks EIGHT people in my immediate, close social circle/family have gotten it. all vaxed, all mild. 

yep - I think we are all at the point now where we've either had it or we know tons of people who have had it.  

There was a lot of hope on this thread that this would all just go away after x . . . but I think we are looking at two large covid waves per year (summer and winter) for the foreseeable future, but they will hopefully be flu-like in severity due to vax, treatments, and prior infection.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

yep - I think we are all at the point now where we've either had it or we know tons of people who have had it.  

There was a lot of hope on this thread that this would all just go away after x . . . but I think we are looking at two large covid waves per year (summer and winter) for the foreseeable future, but they will hopefully be flu-like in severity due to vax, treatments, and prior infection.  

This is where I am. I was an "early adopter" in that my family and I caught Covid June of 2020. I am seeing Omnicron running through people fucking left and right.

A lot of co-workers, friends, my kid's friends etc are all coming down with this. Fortunately no one has had any serious complications  but they are all getting it.

We had my grandparents (small town folk), a couple of in-laws (anti-vaxxers), and 1 friend who just happened to catch it over two years. Starting December, we've had almost our entire social circle, family and friends catch it. All vaxxed, even the anti-vaxxers. But they went with J&J, which I think is the universal "bare minimum" that anti-vaxxers like to do.

18 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

I'm sorry for your daughter.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Typo? Or do you mean they’re already lining up for another round of shots?

Dang it... Now I can't edit my post. I know plenty of people who are vaccinated who have gotten infected. My mistake.

As for getting boosters in the future, I have no problem with that. It's just like the flu. Every year you top up. It's like a security patch on your computer.

Why are y'all so down on natural immunity? Just because catching the virus hasn't proven as effective in preventing future infections as the best vaccines currently available, doesn't mean that natural immunity is useless. I think this run of Omicron may help the world contain the virus and move it closer to flu status in terms of morbidity and mortality.

I find this article https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-22036-z  interesting as it holds the key to us getting past Covid. Neutralizing antibodies are great but they wane fairly rapidly in the case of the coronavirus. We need better long-term responses to be able to move along as a society.

• Hook 'Em 1

Welp, after one week back at school both kids popped positive on a Binax test this AM.

More like the crud right now. No fever, but cough, congestion, runny nose etc. 

My wife and I didn't test but assumed that we are positive. I've got mild symptoms wife doesnt have any.  

Everyone is vaxxed.  My wife and I are boosted, kids aren't because they're six.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

More like the crud right now. No fever, but cough, congestion, runny nose etc.

My fifth-grade son has had that since last Thursday morning.  He stayed home Thursday and Friday, got a PCR test on Friday mid-day and the result was negative.  We switched him from Claritin to Allegra since I've read that Allegra works better for children, which helped significantly, but he's still got some congestion and runny nose, though no cough.  So, it may just be cedar, as my itchy as fuck eyes the past two days would indicate.  He's back in school today.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My fifth-grade son has had that since last Thursday morning.  He stayed home Thursday and Friday, got a PCR test on Friday mid-day and the result was negative.  We switched him from Claritin to Allegra since I've read that Allegra works better for children, which helped significantly, but he's still got some congestion and runny nose, though no cough.  So, it may just be cedar, as my itchy as fuck eyes the past two days would indicate.  He's back in school today.

You've doomed us all!!!

9 hours ago, Bevo said:

Why are y'all so down on natural immunity? Just because catching the virus hasn't proven as effective in preventing future infections as the best vaccines currently available, doesn't mean that natural immunity is useless. I think this run of Omicron may help the world contain the virus and move it closer to flu status in terms of morbidity and mortality.

I find this article https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-22036-z  interesting as it holds the key to us getting past Covid. Neutralizing antibodies are great but they wane fairly rapidly in the case of the coronavirus. We need better long-term responses to be able to move along as a society.

I read that omicron was different enough from delta and older strains that delta antibodies won't protect you from it. Also studies show natural antibody levels are lower than vaccinated levels. 

13 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

I kind of feel like I’m done with additional shots unless it’s on an annual basis.

At this point if vaccine is not going to stop transmission, and just lessen severity, I’ll rely on my T cells until 365 or so days is up  

This is the big issue. Does government change definition of fully vaccinated? Currently boosters recommended at 5 months out, but not mandated. 

• Fuck You 1

Uh yeah, if you go to a hospital, chances are one of the people taking care of you has it. About 20-30% of the WORKING staff at multiple facilities im at have had it within the past week.

sure the numbers say 850k a day, but im betting the real numbers are closer to 2-3 million a day. We gonna peak in the next few days

• Hook 'Em 2

As much as we all like to dunk on the unvaxed, and as a boosted individual I think being unvaxed is an incredibly poor decision from a risk optimization standpoint, there is meaningful data that natural immunity also provides material protection from severe disease.  Which is why a lot of people are optimistic that on the back end of this wave we're looking at an endemic virus.  It's going to infect so many people we aren't going to have many left that don't have either vax immunity or natural immunity (with a lot of people that have both).  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Wouldn't surprise me.  And on the anecdotal level, wouldn't surprise me to have such protection.  Early December 2019, I had a hellacious cold -- one of those that lingered with a nasty cough for a couple of weeks.  It sucked.  So much so that when COVID came along, I was one of those who wondered "huh, maybe I was a super-early case?"  I wasn't -- I tested through UT, and don't have COVID antibodies from infection.  But, I'm double vaxxed and boosted, and have that prior infection with a cold.  Could be that I have mega T cells.  I dunno.  Hope I do.  Who the fuck knows?  We're still figuring out a lotta shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, B00M said:

I read that omicron was different enough from delta and older strains that delta antibodies won't protect you from it. Also studies show natural antibody levels are lower than vaccinated levels. 

It's why even boosted people are getting infections. But vax and prior infection kicks your memory b cells and t cells into gear.  So they recognize the virus and start fighting it resulting in more mild infections than those with no protection.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, B00M said:

Omicron significantly evades antibody responses both from vaccination and infection with prior variants, but the T cell responses still offer good protection from serious illness.  Recovery from the virus should provide a broader range of T cell responses compared to vaccination. 

• Hook 'Em 7

8 minutes ago, Dontshootrude said:

Omicron significantly evades antibody responses both from vaccination and infection with prior variants, but the T cell responses still offer good protection from serious illness.  Recovery from the virus should provide a broader range of T cell responses compared to vaccination. 

this person gets it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

Good to know.  I got my booster on December 1, but right after Thanksgiving I developed a cold, at least I think it was a cold, and I don't think Omicron had hit Texas yet.  Fairly mild symptoms -- more in the head and no cough and was able to plow through it.  But it lingered for almost a week.  It that might offer another layer of protection, all the better.

25 minutes ago, Deej said:

This has been theorized pretty widely since the beginning. IIRC it was one of the suggested reasons why kids did so much better, or were less likely to even contract it. 

• Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Dontshootrude said:

Thanks. I've been wondering how to word that thought. Some antibody responses do no good, some do harm, some are beneficial. Picking the right targets for vaccines in addition to the spike protein will provide a broader and more effective response and help keep the virus from mutating. They may also help improve T cell responses and keep us from relying on 3/6 month boosters to maintain high antibody titers.

• Hook 'Em 1