The Trump + Covid thread

Gil Bang

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

I get all the horrible feelings and all that, but I don't think everyone understands how bad this is for him. It's quite possibly the worst thing that could have happened short of him saying the N word on a hot mic.

I tend to agree. It’s just such an incredible self own

Just now, Satchel said:

Safe to assume that he actually tried to convalesce?

whereas Trump is at least talking about in-person campaigning and things while he’s still infected. 
obviously this thing affects different people differently, but Trump is doing things to make it as bad as possible after doing his best to be sure to acquire the virus. 

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

HIPAA probably applies even to the president. They can’t disclose anything without his consent

I've wondered about this.  Seems they're out there to update the American people so I don't know where that line is.  Obviously it's really unique situation. 

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I've wondered about this.  Seems they're out there to update the American people so I don't know where that line is.  Obviously it's really unique situation. 

It is unique.

HIPAA related, cause I like Shalala and also because Spicer can't even spell the Act correctly:

• Like 1

Consent is the answer to nearly every privacy matter. Course and practice of past presidents puts pressure to disclose but trump here tried his best to control the narrative beyond what was done by others.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Generally health care professionals cannot disclose any protected health information without the patient’s consent. Any health care lawyers know if there are exceptions to this for a president? Seems they have should have a duty to give consent to disclose but we have a long history of hiding presidents’ medical conditions / events (Wilson, FDR, Kennedy, Reagan and Bush off the top of my head)

I wish I could have this outlook but Trump will still have enormous political power out of office.  He has a large cult base. He can make or break congressional and senate races with a few tweets. Not to mention him undermining democracy and dumbing down the population.  Sadly Trump isn’t going away until he’s gone gone. 

He’s going to start something like OANN

We Don’t know; nor should we know because it’s his right to privacy, about The President’s exact health status.  We just know he’s five days positive with COVID-19, he’s back in close indoor  Quarters with dozens of staff members with no mask on.  We know he deferred multiple draft calls to Vietnam because of bone Spurs which thankfully proved not to be a comorbidity with the virus. This guy is a goddamn champ.  

12 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It is unique.

HIPAA related, cause I like Shalala and also because Spicer can't even spell the Act correctly:

Anytime someone misspells HIPAA as HIPPA I immediately know they have no idea what they're talking about.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, troph said:

Consent is the answer to nearly every privacy matter. Course and practice of past presidents puts pressure to disclose but trump here tried his best to control the narrative beyond what was done by others.

seems like most of it would be a yes or no situation.  can i tell them this, can i tell them that?

trump is probably one of the first patients to say, "no, don't tell them that, i'm going to make up something completely different and inaccurate and i want you to tell them that instead."  not sure how they're just ok with that.  also aren't they naval officers?  how does that whole thing work?  can they be court martialed when this all goes bad?

Seems to me HIPAA precludes revealing individual medical information without specific permission.  We all hear it mostly through sports -- when Tom Herman mentions that RoJo has a "shoulder sprain", does he have express permission?  Do athletes provide that blanket permission, maybe at the beginning of each season or year?

What happens when a reporter digs and eventually leaks Hope Hicks' CV19+ status?  Is that a HIPAA violation?

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This isn't crazy.  I've seen this bounce back/euphoria when patients are on corticosteroids.  And holy shit it can be really ugly when you wean those.  He's clearly riding that steroid high.  I can't believe his doctors are not putting more out there about being worried about his actions.  I guess he's always mentally ill so wtf can you say.  But to me, this is worse than the usual dumbass trump. 

He could fire any of those doctors - they are all military officers.  His personal doctor is only a commander in the Navy, hoping to make captain.  No way he does anything to piss off Trump.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He could fire any of those doctors - they are all military officers.  His personal doctor is only a commander in the Navy, hoping to make captain.  No way he does anything to piss off Trump.

Yep, I'm sure there's a LOT of that at play - but doctors don't really have trouble finding work.  I'd think one of the many would speak up if it was allowed.  They're giving other updates which seem to be in line with what's going on.  Why not something on this time period on corticosteroids and the possible issues that come up - don't even have to say he's having those issues, we can all read between the lines on that part. 

If Trump kicks the bucket in the next few weeks because COVID wasn't done with him, an everlasting conspiracy theory will spring to life:

Trump hadn't felt so good in decades and then he dies? Right before the election? The Deep State killed him! Because they knew he was going to win and...

Seems to me HIPAA precludes revealing individual medical information without specific permission.  We all hear it mostly through sports -- when Tom Herman mentions that RoJo has a "shoulder sprain", does he have express permission?  Do athletes provide that blanket permission, maybe at the beginning of each season or year?
What happens when a reporter digs and eventually leaks Hope Hicks' CV19+ status?  Is that a HIPAA violation?

No. Only covered entities (medical providers, insurance companies, etc.) are governed by HIPAA violations. Nothing would happen to the reporter. If one of her medical providers gave that information to the reporter, the provider could be in a world of trouble though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Trump was doing Frank the Tank in the backseat rolling away from Reed to Marine One and his pupils might be blown in his balcony vid about dominating covid.  Yet we still don't have confirmation whether he has signs of covid pneumonia.  The treatments suggest evidence of lung involvement.  It'll definitely be interesting to watch how that little pharmacologic wave he's riding breaks.  Although not refusing care, there's a fair chance he insisted on returning to the WH against medical advice.  He doesn't appear holdable right now but the current stressors combined with systemic steroids and whatever drug of choice he might be adding on his own elevate all kinds of risks right now.  If you think you've seen what Trump crazy looks like, his mental state over the next week could take on a new look.

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This isn't crazy.  I've seen this bounce back/euphoria when patients are on corticosteroids.  And holy shit it can be really ugly when you wean those.  He's clearly riding that steroid high.  I can't believe his doctors are not putting more out there about being worried about his actions.  I guess he's always mentally ill so wtf can you say.  But to me, this is worse than the usual dumbass trump. 

My father had a DNR order at Seton. He was taken to St. David's from his nursing facility for a blood transfusion. I was his principle caregiver, but I'd been relieved for a weekend by my family.

I got into town and called the hospital to learn he was in the ICU. He had crashed and they had taken heroic measures to bring him back. They didn't have the DNR order on file nor was I there to convey it, so no complaint about his care. The doctor told me they wouldn't have given whatever they did to bring him back.

Dad was singing to nurses and cracking wise through his bi-pap. I bet it was steroids. A few days later, he began to fade again. Five days later, he was gone. 

My uneducated guess is that Trump is on his way out. His current actions are due to denial and terror on his part. He's not just trying to project strength to the electorate that he despises; he's also trying to convince his despicable self that he's strong and invincible.

My feelings about impending death have very often turned out correct. I don't know why, but they do.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

No. Only covered entities (medical providers, insurance companies, etc.) are governed by HIPAA violations. 

Is UT or UT Athletics?  Are they just hiding behind a non-binding regulation?  I mean, I get it when they keep things under wraps, but is HIPAA a legit excuse?

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

This whole experience is making him grow as a person. Donald now thinks "I can't breathe" is a valid concern.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My father had a DNR order at Seton. He was taken to St. David's from his nursing facility for a blood transfusion. I was his principle caregiver, but I'd been relieved for a weekend by my family.

I got into town and called the hospital to learn he was in the ICU. He had crashed and they had taken heroic measures to bring him back. They didn't have the DNR order on file nor was I there to convey it, so no complaint about his care. The doctor told me they wouldn't have given whatever they did to bring him back.

Dad was singing to nurses and cracking wise through his bi-pap. I bet it was steroids. A few days later, he began to fade again. Five days later, he was gone. 

My uneducated guess is that Trump is on his way out. His current actions are due to denial and terror on his part. He's not just trying to project strength to the electorate that he despises; he's also trying to convince his despicable self that he's strong and invincible.

My feelings about impending death have very often turned out correct. I don't know why, but they do.

I have this same hunch. 

I also suspect that on some level, he's very much welcoming a way out that he can blame on external factors. Kind of a "suicide by cop" in a sense. 

I know he's a one-off cognitive and emotional mutant, but I don't get the impression that he has been having much fun over the past few years (whatever passes for "fun" in his mind - maybe "gratification" is a better way to think of it?) and it's all just getting worse as Biden's ascendancy grows more inevitable.

And I don't think he's got much to look forward to, either. And I think he knows it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I have this same hunch. 

I also suspect that on some level, he's very much welcoming a way out that he can blame on external factors. Kind of a "suicide by cop" in a sense. 

I know he's a one-off cognitive and emotional mutant, but I don't get the impression that he has been having much fun over the past few years (whatever passes for "fun" in his mind - maybe "gratification" is a better way to think of it?) and it's all just getting worse as Biden's ascendancy grows more inevitable.

And I don't think he's got much to look forward to, either. And I think he knows it. 

Username kind of checks out!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

WTF? Kellyanne, if your kid has a phone in her hand, she is shooting, dumbass.

my first reaction was : hilarious.

my second reaction was : how come KellyAnne is not quarantining from her family/Daughter? WTF.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

my first reaction was : hilarious.

my second reaction was : how come KellyAnne is not quarantining from her family/Daughter? WTF.

So many disturbing things in there.  And what lie did the daughter allegedly say about mom and covid?  That kellyanne called him Donald Crump? The Great Gaspy?

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yikes this family is beyond fucked up.

It’s one thing for a 15 year old to be airing her mess on social media but her mom needs to stop.

I agree Kellyanne. Ones a stupid teenager who doesn’t know shit and thinks the world revolves around their mundane shit. Then there is us. And The Other you failed to mention would be 2 specific adults who should know better and are fucking sociopaths. Who apparently can’t even take away their 15 year old’s phone. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree Kellyanne. Ones a stupid teenager who doesn’t know shit and thinks the world revolves around their mundane shit. Then there is us. And The Other you failed to mention would be 2 specific adults who should know better and are fucking sociopaths. Who apparently can’t even take away their 15 year old’s phone. 

Rep to you. 

Multiple disturbing things about their state of affairs. I have sympathy for families undergoing troubles. It happens to all of us in varying degrees if we’re honest with ourselves and each other. 

I had an entire essay written due to too much coffee this morning, but I’ve deleted most of it after contemplating the thoughts it contained. 

For the sake of their daughter, I hope it works out. I would suggest that they go media silent, but I suspect they cannot easily surrender their egos enough to do it. 

• immamac changed the title to The Trump + Covid thread