Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

I get what you're saying and don't disagree. I'm the weird one here. 

But man, "isolationist mountain person" is my dream job. My loving wife and family have really prevented me from pursuing the noble goals of smoking weed in the woods and shooting guns all day. 

Brother?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Street2Peschel said:

I folded my law firm and moved my family to the top of a mountain in Colorado many years ago...from Houston.  It was the greatest decision I ever made.  The people are generally laid back; however, the influx of people moving here definitely gets the locals unruly because the price of real estate is getting too high and the hiking trails are getting crowded.  My closest neighbor is from Dallas and the first thing we both did when we moved here was get Colorado license plates.  My wife and I both got real estate licenses to make some extra retirement money and I make more money now than I did practicing law for 24 years...and most of my clients are from out of state.  Back to the point: the people here are actually really cool and laid back but they want to keep the state's vibe like that, which is getting increasingly harder to do.   

giphy.webp

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Thats because Durango airport only has 4 gates and you usually have to go through Phoenix, Dallas, or Denver.  We usually drive it from Austin.  Takes about 11 hours without kids, 13 with.

know a couple who go there a couple of times a year, their move is to fly AUS to ABQ and then drive from Albuquerque to Durango (~4 hours)

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Check out Pagosa Springs, CO.   45 min from the Durango airport and 45ish minutes between wolf creek and purgatory.  Still relatively affordable by Colorado ski town standards.

No, no, no. Stay away from that region and the San Juan's, very scary place.

People complaining about others migrating to a place where they or their parents once migrated to is funny. We are a migratory species! Someone getting to a place before others doesn't give them special rights. Sure it drives up the property prices, which leads to another mass migration to a different place. For years, Californians complained about people moving there and driving up the property prices. Now Californians are moving elsewhere. It will never end for as long as our species occupies this planet.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

I've never understood why people from Colorado seem so angry. This is true for the little pussy in this thread, but also for Buffs fans in general - there's a lot of weird anger in that fanbase. They always seem pissed off and combative with a weird chip on their shoulder. 

Colorado as a place seems so nice and laid back. Every lawyer in my firm who lands a national client moves to our Denver office and immediately starts phoning it in. They WFH at their "mountain house" and let the junior partners do all the work. They know they've got it made so why sweat it out on the bayou?

The weather in CO is pleasant if you don't mind the cold (and it's miles better than Houston in any case), cost of living is modest compared to CA and NY, there's great skiing and hiking, great breweries, weed is legal, etc. etc. etc. 

So why so angry all the time? 

If you're basing the "angry all the time" opinion on Buffs fans, know that the kids who go to Boulder are largely wealthy, white and male. Over 40% of undergrads are from out of state, and for some reason it attracts about 55% men, where nationally (and at UT) most undergrads are women.  Also admission standards are quite low so they're generally not the sharpest tools in the shed.