What, if anything is different because of the loss to OU Saturday?

immamac

I think the main thing the loss did was get those that anger easily get really angry.

I was sitting there going, "I like to be ahead, but I don't like getting up this much, this easily, in a rivalry that I expected to be close.  Seen it before, the kids simply think they have "won" way the fuck before the game is over.  By the time the panic sets in, the lead has evaporated due to less than top intensity play.  Sucks, and it happens to coaches every weekend.

I would love to say we win out, and come back and beat OU in the Championship. But I am usually not a winner on 7 team parlays.  Possible for sure, but this weekend is gonna let us all see what this team is made of.

Interestingly while most of the abuse has been heaped upon the defense, I tend to give a bit more blame than most to the Offense.  Defense made some plays early and we got out to a huge lead.  Hell if the offense holds serve ONLY putting up field goals to OU TD's we win the damn game.  Instead we do not sustain drives and out defense gets more and more fatigued while at the same time we lose the emotional energy.

OU pulled a couple of plays right out of their ass on some hail marys that were barely, barely completions.  SOMETIMES the other guys are pretty good and make plays too!  What I wish I would have seen would have been the offense be able to sustain drives and eat clock.  Instead the first have is like 2/3 of a regular game.  Plenty of blame to go around.  I also think it's hilarious that we play a top 5 team until the final seconds and we drop two spots in the polls.  Oh well the SEC will help us with that anomoly over time.

Hope we bounce back and pop OSU this weekend, as if we do, that 7 team parlay might just be in play!

• Hook 'Em 4

Texas has now lost a game after leading by 21, so there’s that.

I don’t think much has changed trajectory wise. OU is a better team this year and proved it on Saturday. If they play in Arlington, OU will win convincingly. I didn’t ever expect this team to win the Big 12 - it was built to do so the past two years and didn’t get it done - the most important thing this season is establishing the systems, flashing the potential, and recruiting like madmen.

It’s just going to take a long time to get over that loss, which is completely understandable. OU fans are going to tell their grandkids about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Recruits view the games differently than we do - not as fans, but as business opportunities.  Will I be a featured player? Will I get playing time early and often? Will this offense/defense play to my strengths and get me drafted? 

I don't think the loss hurt us in recruiting - offensive skill position players saw a lot to be excited about, OL recruits will see playing time, defensive recruits see ample playing time too.  Recruits also saw Sark come out with a real good game plan in a big rivalry game.  Playcalling was excellent with the OL limitations we have. 

Goals for this team are still in front of them - win out and we'll be in Dallas.  A lot of people would (and should) be happy with 4-2 through the first 6 games - it just sucks to miss out on being 5-1 from some bad calls and our OL falling apart in the 2nd half and unable to sustain drives and chew clock when needed.   

10-2/9-3 is still on the table for a first year coaching staff.  

• Hook 'Em 8

I don't think it changes much of anything.  Like you mentioned CCG is still in play. OU still has the potential to drop a conference game (OSU, ISU...Baylor??)

90% of this place had this penciled in as a loss anyway.  Now, that being said...blowing a big lead and completely melting down the way we did is certainly a prickly subject.

I'm not worried about CCG or playoffs at this point.

Beating OSU is the next step to accomplishing what they want/need to accomplish.

Bring on the early morning booze sessions!!

• Hook 'Em 1

what changed:

- the game we thought would have the least fuckery (because we are both leaving) turned out to have the most fuckery so those left behind can cash in one last time on 0u inflation

- instead of just a few people here and there, sark now knows he has to portal in as much academically eligible beef as possible from wherever it can be found

what didn't change:

- way too many people cashing in wins that haven't occurred yet, including in this very thread

- people falling for the banana in the tailpipe

- people believing in and espousing the idea that freshman beef can "come in and make an impact" - when was the last time that happened here?

The impacts won’t be felt until we see how the team responds.  Do the come out and mud hole OSU. Are the mountain of mistakes that was made against Oklahoma fixed or will they continue throughout the season. I would hope that this lesson of no lead is big enough keep their  foot on your throat until they’re completely fucking dead is ingrained in every player. But for now the impacts won’t be shown unless this team just folds it’s dick  over and says fuck it. Or do they go on a tear and clean house the only real remaining thread that I feel is Iowa State   But I’m not certain that a big 12 championship game is in play just yet

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 7

24 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I don't think it changes much of anything.  Like you mentioned CCG is still in play. OU still has the potential to drop a conference game (OSU, ISU...Baylor??)

90% of this place had this penciled in as a loss anyway.  Now, that being said...blowing a big lead and completely melting down the way we did is certainly a prickly subject.

I'm not worried about CCG or playoffs at this point.

Beating OSU is the next step to accomplishing what they want/need to accomplish.

Bring on the early morning booze sessions!!

Well said.  

37 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

The potential impact to recruiting when combined with the aggie win. We'll see how that plays out. 

That has the possibility of having a HUGE effect.

23 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

what changed:

- the game we thought would have the least fuckery (because we are both leaving) turned out to have the most fuckery so those left behind can cash in one last time on 0u inflation

- instead of just a few people here and there, sark now knows he has to portal in as much academically eligible beef as possible from wherever it can be found

what didn't change:

- way too many people cashing in wins that haven't occurred yet, including in this very thread

- people falling for the banana in the tailpipe

- people believing in and espousing the idea that freshman beef can "come in and make an impact" - when was the last time that happened here?

Uh, Xavier Worthy?

but I understand your point completely

Nothing has changed in terms of where we are at vs OU. New coach, new QB but still the same result. OU still has more talent across the board and they can dig deeper for these wins than we can.

Also, where was the counter adjustments in the 2nd half? I saw zero. After the 1st qtr, OU really flexed its muscle and we had no answer for it. Or even tried a different approach. Even up 18 at halftime, something felt uneasy and brewing in the water of a tide about to hit us and sure enough, it did. And we had no answer. Was hoping that aspect would be fixed. Casey was getting beat up yet we constantly called drop back passes and never tried to implement a screen game or quick passes to make them back off. 

And what has not changed at all is the mindset and acceptance of these losses year after year to OU. It's always the same, "we can still get to our goals no matter the loss". When is the goal going to be more than getting beat by OU and just getting a once a decade appearance in the conference championship game to most likely lose to them again". I'm waiting on that. So many are ok with OU slapping us around year after year and accept it. And sadly, they aren't wrong to because it's reality. They are on another level than us right now. While we feel grateful to even get to the conference championship game, they roll out of bed and win the Big 12. And get to the playoffs seemingly more times than not. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Nothing has changed in terms of where we are at vs OU. New coach, new QB but still the same result. OU still has more talent across the board and they can dig deeper for these wins than we can.

Also, where was the counter adjustments in the 2nd half? I saw zero.

Great question for our offensive and defensive staffs.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Also, where was the counter adjustments in the 2nd half? I saw zero. After the 1st qtr, OU really flexed its muscle and we had no answer for it. Or even tried a different approach. Even up 18 at halftime, something felt uneasy and brewing in the water of a tide about to hit us and sure enough, it did. And we had no answer. Was hoping that aspect would be fixed. Casey was getting beat up yet we constantly called drop back passes and never tried to implement a screen game or quick passes to make them back off. 

And what has not changed at all is the mindset and acceptance of these losses year after year to OU. It's always the same, "we can still get to our goals no matter the loss". When is the goal going to be more than getting beat by OU and just getting a once a decade appearance in the conference championship game to most likely lose to them again". I'm waiting on that. So many are ok with OU slapping us around year after year and accept it. And sadly, they aren't wrong to because it's reality. They are on another level than us right now. While we feel grateful to even get to the conference championship game, they roll out of bed and win the Big 12. And get to the playoffs seemingly more times than not. 

I disagree about the screens. We had a few for Bijan set up perfectly but got blown up way before Casey could get him the ball. The OL is so fucking bad they can't even fake block for 2 seconds 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Pretty much all of this.

What's different?  Absolutely nothing.  We continue to lose to OU.  Through four head coaches, a dozen different varied coaching staffs, hundreds of different players, and no change to the result.

Another loss to OU.  Another year of "we still have some goals in front of us" until we take that 3rd and 4th loss. 

We make fun of the ags for their annual mantra of "wait 'til next year" but that's exactly who we've  become. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

I now know that our coaching staff is not quick on their feet under fire. Sark has never come back from 10 point deficit at the half, he looked lost on how to adjust to Arkansas and now it was clear he did not adjust to the OU adjustments. Looks like Sark is great at Plan A but sucks at adapting and putting into play Plan B. Coaches show their stripes early and this game now confirms that Sark is great at preparing week to week but is poor at adapting once he is in the fire.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

ou's second half offensive output should have been expected if one conservatively assumes that they would equal their first half scoring, not have any turnovers or blocked punts/returns, would be predisposed to "going for it", would be facing a defense that because of quick offensive drives, would be re vulnerable, and would open the half with a possession. All of those factors came into play and...

ou was extremely fortunate on the some big plays and Texas was not on both sides of the ball.  Change a play or two that could have gone either way and  a squeaker win or perhaps even as much as a two score win was in play for Texas.  In other words, the game would have played out almost exactly the same except for a play or two and Texas comes out of Dallas with all the same issues, but with a narrow win given the huge 3rd quarter lead, which one could say about any of the last few times this game was played.

The end of the game had a Texas/USC 2005 flow where, in that game so many things went right for Texas on the last few possessions, although I will say in that game, they were earned with very little left to chance or borderline calls.

I will say that if the conference wants ou be considered for the playoff, Texas will not be their opponent in the CCG.  That will be taken care of long before then.

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Idk what else you want.  We keep hiring bad coaches, firing them after 3 years and multiple coordinator changes, hiring new coaches with a totally different system, firing them after 3 years of multiple coordinator changes, repeat.

We are never going to consistently win against an OU program that has had so much continuity this decade under Stoops/Riley if we don't figure our shit out.  No one is fine with losing to OU but JFC, we are so far apart because we have players recruited for one system, who had to learn another system, and then are on their third position coach/coordinator.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Pretty much all of this.

What's different?  Absolutely nothing.  We continue to lose to OU.  Through four head coaches, a dozen different varied coaching staffs, hundreds of different players, and no change to the result.

Another loss to OU.  Another year of "we still have some goals in front of us" until we take that 3rd and 4th loss. 

We make fun of the ags for their annual mantra of "wait 'til next year" but that's exactly who we've  become. 

Well said. The perpetual mediocrity mill will continue. We needed this OU win to turn the tide in recruiting - particularly on the OL. Didn't happen, and top tier recruits continue to look elsewhere. I think we have just 2 or 3 of the top 20 in state players committed.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

The potential impact to recruiting when combined with the aggie win. We'll see how that plays out. 

Agreed but like you said we just have to see how the rest of the season plays out. If we respond like we did after Arkansas and make it to the B12 Championship Game and A&M drops another 2 games then it may not make a big difference. But if we drop more games and A&M wins out, this past week will be seen as a turning point in the season.

I think you can even go so far as to saying winning wouldn’t have changed much, aside from more margin for error to getting to the conference championship game and everyone’s moods over the weekend.

Say Worthy didn’t fumble the kickoff return, or the 3rd and 19 TD doesn’t happen, or whatever and Texas wins 48-41 or something. You still can’t really argue with a straight face that OU isn’t the better program with a better top to bottom roster. You’d still favor them in a rematch in Arlington. The defense still sucks and Sark still couldn’t counter Grinch in the second half. The only difference is Saturday would have been a hell of a lot more fun - and to some extent that’s what what I’m most concerned with as a fan, after all - and at 3-0 in league play a 4-2 finish and CCG berth is that much more doable.

If we come out pissed and clobber OSU like Mack used to do after OU losses/skull fuckings  I'll will feel a lot better about Sark as a HC.  That loss should hurt like a motherfucker and your job as a head coach is getting a team jacked to avenge it in short order against the only team you will play this week.

There is no strength in the defense, I want to see a unit become a strength and assert itself. The defensive line, linebackers and secondary as units are pitiful. I for the life of me can't understand how the defensive line was downright bullied in the Arkansas/OU games. The talent is there, the coaching is there....Bo Davis had a great run here in the past and there is a proven DC with a scheme that's been highly effective. Coburn isn't a guy that is going to light up the stat sheet, but he seems invisible in the run game and it shouldn't be that way. Is it a lack of effort? What's the deal?

Defense had a few plays break on them then they start trying to do too much and don't focus on just doing their jobs.

That is how they get out of position and don't play like even an average defense.

I think a lot of this is not having the discipline yet to just focus on doing your individual job versus the temptation to play hero ball.

Plus we are light at Def End.  I do see Alfred Collins on the roster at Jack for the Ok State game.  I like that move.

I think the biggest difference as it pertains to the remainder of the season is that this game fully displayed this team's weakness. This game put a lot on film that other teams will be able to use.

Going into the season, my expectations was a 2 to 3 loss regular season with us in contention for the CCG, and that expectation is still in play for us.

My current hope for this season is to win out the remainder of the season, beat OUsux or whoever in the CCG, then play in a new years 6 game and come out with a win there.

I think everyone would agree that an 12-2 to a 10-4 record would be an accomplishment for this roster.

We know going into this season that this was a roster that just didn't know how to win close games.

This season's primary goal is to generate excitement and an identity that the staff can recruit with, so that in 2 or 3 years we will have the roster makeup that allows to contend for the playoffs.

Also, OU sucks!

Buncha over reactions all over Surly.  Yeah it sucks that we lost.  NO it doesn't mean that we're going to lose to OU for eternity.  The whole "different coach same story" schtick is tired.  We didn't lose to OU because of ineptitude on the coaching side.  Yes Sark could have "counter adjusted" to OU's defensive adjustments better...but we put up 48 points!!!  Our problem isn't X's and O's, it's Jimmys and Joes.  Unfortunately fixing that takes more than half a season.  Those of you expecting to beat (or "dominate OU" on the Surly podcast) had UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS this season.  And I'm here to tell you something else: thinking we're going to win out and see OU again in the CCG is also an unrealistic expectation.  We will drop at least 1 more to one of OSU, ISU, or Baylor.  If we get there, it's going to be a back-it-in situation, not a Texas-wins-out-and-controls-our-own-destiny situation.  That's who we are this year.  Even if we get back to the CCG vs. OU again...what makes anyone think the result will be different?  If anything it could be a lot worse, now that they have a legit dual threat QB.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we make it, I hope we beat their ass in round 2 if we get there.  But I ain't expecting it, this year. This isn't a "let's wait till next year, get 'em then!" troupe...it's reality.  OP talking about NY6 bowl and top 5 finish...LOL.  That's not who this team is (yet).

• Hook 'Em 1

What changed? In a vacuum, within the context of “controlling our destiny,” not much. But a lot of belief revision occurred (or should have occurred), and that has implications for many games down the road.

1) many more fans have started to realize our defensive coaching is/has been terrible. That doesn’t bode well for the future.

2) recruiting likely took a hit

We are where many thought we would be at this point in the season. The front half of our schedule was pretty tough, and two losses to top 15 caliber teams doesn't seem like cause for panic. We melted down at the worst possible moment, and any loss to OU makes everyone lose their shit on a fairly predictable basis. However, things are not all rosy.

Our OLine is in crisis mode, our LB room is in crisis mode, our WR room is in crisis mode. We also lost a game at the same time as aggy won their once in a decade game vs Bama. So that has resulted in a short term recruiting pop for them with key prospects in crunch time. I expect them to lose another game over the next couple of weeks, but I won't hit the panic button unless we lose to Ok State.  

While Horn of Gabriel makes some good points,  I see a lot of improvement. i think the biggest if is IF (and how much) we continue to improve. Charlie's teams seemed to get worse as the season went on( the special teams and tackling still give me PTSD), Tom's showed marginal improvement (mostly on QB power plays). If this had been a Herman team, I wouldn't have given us any chance after the Arkansas debacle. We have a long way to go, and yes we need the Jimmys and Joes. All considered, I like the coaching staff a LOT better than any we have had in 10 years or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark is a genius game planner,  can hide lots of warts

PK has yet to prove ability to show a genius defensive approach or adjust in-game

Not blitzing a rookie qb in first game action was a crime against football gods

Sark is yet to prove he's a genius in-game adjuster or his all-gas mentality can't overcome its desire to chase the cheese when defense is daring the long ball and see if your O-line can hold; or both

Our O-line stubbornness after Ark was wrong

Heading into the game, we were super worried about PK's 3 man defensive fronts esp with OU holding addiction and a back-end that can't seem to play the ball and we were correct.

Getting to the fair at 8:00am is still required for 11:00am kick

Walking from the fair to Deep Ellum to hang at those bars while Uber sorts itself out is a good plan

Old Fair coupons are still good even though they raised the price per coupon

2 hours ago, immamac said:

It's been a few days and it seems that everyone has mostly calmed down. I find myself asking this question - what are the real impacts of the loss Saturday?

If Texas still takes care of business it controls it's own destiny to the CCG, this has not changed.

If Texas still takes care of business it ends the season with a top 10 ranking, this has not changed.

If Texas beats Oklahoma in the CCG while still in control of it's own destiny they will be knocking off a top 4 team in a CCG, it will be a 2 loss Big XII team with a top 10 ranking, and possibly a top 5 ranking.

Is the only difference that, assuming Texas does what it is capable of through the end of the season that Cincinatti gets in and Texas gets left out, still playing in a NY6 game, but not in the Playoffs?

There is no such thing as a good loss, but the negative impacts of this loss don't seem to be all that drastic at this point. Recruiting doesn't seem like it will take a hit as some of the deficiencies could be a draw for some defensive talent to make a difference immediately. The offense sees young players who are dynamic getting early playing time and getting the ball often, which is a draw. The OL play is another obvious opportunity for a young top ranked player to come in and make a difference. 

What do you think the impacts of the Loss Saturday against OU were?

My liver will never be the same?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Think about this for a moment. It happens elsewhere, why? Because they recruit elite talent in the trenches.  Immediate impact players can be brought in at any position.