Jump to content

Alec Baldwin Shoots and Kills Cinematographer, Wounds Director


atomheartbevo

Recommended Posts

Here’s the premise of the movie they were shooting…

Harland Rust is an outlaw with a bounty on his head. When his thirteen-year-old grandson Lucas is convicted of accidental murder and sentenced to hang, Rust travels to Kansas to break him out of prison. Together, the two fugitives must outrun the legendary U.S. Marshal Wood Helm and bounty-hunter Fenton "Preacher" Lang.” — per Wikipedia

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MrBig said:

I just don’t get how you accidentally shoot TWO people with one prop gun.

And they weren’t actors so he wasn’t pointing it at them. Better safety measures are obviously required. That’s just tragic.

Edit: I suppose it’s possible he was pointing the gun at the camera for the “shot” but that would seem pretty careless. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

So was he detained? I mean, at least for a few hours I would hope. 

 

Probably for at least the basics…The nature of his relationship with each victim im sure was questioned.  The gun confiscated, perhaps a drug test administered per insurance protocols the movie likely had in place…I mean there were probably dozens of witnesses so if anything nefarious occurred, it would be known IMO.  
keep in mind we are dealing with a grade A asshole as it is, so he can and has talked his way out of many situations, granted nothing As horrible as this. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WBT said:

Same way Bruce Lee's kid was killed right?

IIRC, Bruce Lee was actually hit by a bullet that was found in the autopsy.  Somehow a real round made it onto the set and into the weapon.  

There have been people killed by actual blanks - Years back an actor was joking around playing russian roulette and fired a blank into his temple and the blank killed him - presumably the gases and / or cap that holds the powder in the case went into his head.

I saw the Baldwin story and at this point I don't think they know what happened yet.  My first impression is that the fact that two people were reportedly hit indicates a live round may he been in the gun - perhaps a pass through that hit both victims.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Reagan1k said:

There have been people killed by actual blanks - Years back an actor was joking around playing russian roulette and fired a blank into his temple and the blank killed him - presumably the gases and / or cap that holds the powder in the case went into his head.

I don't think anything actually entered his head, but the gases expelled at such close range can cause serious blunt trauma.  When the gun is held right up against your temple then you dead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I don't think anything actually entered his head, but the gases expelled at such close range can cause serious blunt trauma.  When the gun is held right up against your temple then you dead.

The plastic wad from a shotgun shell can also kill you at close range.  I knew of a guy whose friend took the pellets out of a shell and fired it at the guys head from about 3 feet away.  Killed him.  

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I don't think anything actually entered his head, but the gases expelled at such close range can cause serious blunt trauma.  When the gun is held right up against your temple then you dead.

Yeah - I think you're right.  I can't remember the actor or the situation but that sounds correct.  It wouldn't take penetration to kill you.  The force of the gases would be enough even if there was only superficial or no visible trauma.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

IIRC, Bruce Lee was actually hit by a bullet that was found in the autopsy.  Somehow a real round made it onto the set and into the weapon. 

In Brandons case, their idiotic prop director, for whatever reason, loaded a zero powder actual bullet round into the revolver prop gun. 

however the primer was stil live in the case.  so when that round was in the chamber, and trigger pulled, the primer was just enough power to move the bullet into the barrel of the revolver with enough space for the wheel to be able to still open.

Then no one checked if the barrel was clear.    Then half full of powder blanks were loaded.  no one again cleared the barrel, so that when the blank went off the bullet being just on the other side of the wheel left with enough speed and velocity to kill.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Yeah - I think you're right.  I can't remember the actor or the situation but that sounds correct.  It wouldn't take penetration to kill you.  The force of the gases would be enough even if there was only superficial or no visible trauma.

According to the wikis it was Jon-Erik Hexum referenced above.  He was goofing off during a delay in filming and killed himself.  Not a good use of one’s spare time.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can we stop calling them prop guns?  If they have a firing pin to ignite a blank and the barrel is clear, they’re guns, not props.  Jackasses making movies with no knowledge about guns other than trying to get them banned think they’re playing with toys.  Sad situation though.  Thoughts and prayers….

  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a terrible story.

On the one hand, it was an accident. On the other hand, Alec Baldwin was holding a gun when it fired and killed someone. Which means he was pointing the gun at someone and very likely pulled the trigger, thinking it was safe.

So it was an accident but it was the result of complete stupidity.

If that happened to an average person at home, not a celebrity on a movie set, wouldn’t they be charged with involuntary manslaughter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

What a terrible story.

On the one hand, it was an accident. On the other hand, Alec Baldwin was holding a gun when it fired and killed someone. Which means he was pointing the gun at someone and very likely pulled the trigger, thinking it was safe.

So it was an accident but it was the result of complete stupidity.

If that happened to an average person at home, not a celebrity on a movie set, wouldn’t they be charged with involuntary manslaughter?

This is why I asked if he was detained. Does not look like it. Yeah I know, Hollywood. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a movie set, the odds are pretty damn good that any prop gun is meant to eventually be pointed at someone. So the question is why it was on the set in a condition to fire a projectile, even if just a blank plug. Why wouldn’t you either be using a blank firing adapter or just crimped blank rounds? 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prop-gun-using-blanks-still-052227936.html

 

Others have touched on some of what's discussed in the linked article.  Suffice to say that blanks can be dangerous.  But, like another poster, I'm curious to know how two people were killed/injured.  It'll be interesting to get the details.

Entry and exit from one person into another. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

What a terrible story.

On the one hand, it was an accident. On the other hand, Alec Baldwin was holding a gun when it fired and killed someone. Which means he was pointing the gun at someone and very likely pulled the trigger, thinking it was safe.

So it was an accident but it was the result of complete stupidity.

If that happened to an average person at home, not a celebrity on a movie set, wouldn’t they be charged with involuntary manslaughter?

I would think camera people are in the line of sight of guns quite a bit on movies sets. It’s not a static medium where you could easily set up a remote camera to capture the shot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Sounds like a FAFO situation. I can see how an actor or stuntman accidently get shot by being too close to a prop gun going off but a director & cinematographer? Sounds like Alex was fucking around between scenes and fired at the crew on purpose.

 

image.jpeg.cfdd92da5545d3c8bd091db7eeefa303.jpeg
 

edit: furk, meant to quote post #29.

Edited by TXSG8R
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

I admit I know nothing about making movies, but seems like with modern technology you could edit the sound in later rather than having a prop gun that's still lethal to people at very close range.  OSHA and modern technology haven't caught up to this problem yet?

Where's the fun in that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Why would a prop gun have any type of projectile? Insane.

"Blanks" still have to have a way to contain the powder so there is that cool Hollywood muzzle flash and sound.  It's not a solid projectile (ie., bullet) but at very close range, that wadding is coming out of the barrel at the same velocity as a bullet would.  There are also crimped rounds, so who knows?

Happened more than once if you google this type of stuff.  

Edited by BabaYaga
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I thought prop guns were meant to be pointed at people and fired for filming movie scenes. I haven't read. I can't read. But, I don't think it was Baldwin who fucked up.

The issue I think is that range and type of squib load the prop guys loaded.  Why more and more close in shots, if you look carefully (talking to you John Wick) are actually CGI'd for effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bernard said:

Here’s the premise of the movie they were shooting…

Harland Rust is an outlaw with a bounty on his head. When his thirteen-year-old grandson Lucas is convicted of accidental murder and sentenced to hang, Rust travels to Kansas to break him out of prison. Together, the two fugitives must outrun the legendary U.S. Marshal Wood Helm and bounty-hunter Fenton "Preacher" Lang.” — per Wikipedia

Bernard

respect the Method Acting.

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...