College Football Is Stale and Boring

Vic Mackey

11 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

In a perfect world, we’d make CFB a real sport among 64 teams in 4 conferences. Then you’d have 4 conf champs in playoffs.

You make some good points but we've seen the conference champ thing before with the BCS. It routinely gave us a 3, 4, or even 5 loss team in a major bowl that they only earned by winning an easy division and an upset in the CCG. That 8-5 UConn team in the Fiesta was maybe the worst.

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Bowl games are meaningless because of the playoffs and the obsession with a true champion. That need to determine the #1 team destroyed the sport for 90% of the fans because nothing else matters.  Winning a Rose Bowl used to matter, beating your rival used to matter.

We all say this a lot.  A quick check say 3.2 million people watched UAB and BYU in the Independence Bowl.  4.1M viewers was the average game viewership of NBA games on Christmas Day....their most premier day schedule/viewing wise outside of the Conference Finals/Finals.  

It’s unfortunate that most teenagers are front running wankers. A 17 year old’s favorite NBA team is the Warriors, their favorite NFL team is the Chiefs/Bucs/Pats, and their favorite college team is Bama/Georgia/whoever’s winning.  Just like when I was growing up, little dipshit Billy’s favorite teams were the Cowboys and Bulls. I really resented those twats.

If kids weren’t such little front running Fboys, we’d have more parity in CFB. Parents, when your kid asks for a Steph Curry jersey, get them Sacramento Kings gear instead.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I know I’m in the minority, but I like Herbie. Dude is solid and insightful.

The reason I hate Herbie is because he had so much potential and he sold his soul.  You are right when he simply sticks to what is happening between the lines he is actually really really good.  But he works for ESPN and at some point he was confronted with the the age old quandary of staying true to himself or selliing out to being a shill and he chose the shill route.  When he talks about almost anything but pure football he is a fucking douchewaffle.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I know I’m in the minority, but I like Herbie. Dude is solid and insightful.

Herbie is pretty good all things considered. He turned on Texas when Mack was fired and the fans havent forgiven him. In a non Texas context I enjoy him in the booth.

Another guy outside of the obvious Klatt and Gus I like pretty well is Jesse Palmer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

We all say this a lot.  A quick check say 3.2 million people watched UAB and BYU in the Independence Bowl.  4.1M viewers was the average game viewership of NBA games on Christmas Day....their most premier day schedule/viewing wise outside of the Conference Finals/Finals.  

shitty college football>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NBA games

Just now, slorch said:

shitty college football>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NBA games

Right and as long as spare games like the Independence Bowl are doing ratings in the same ballpark as the generally acknowledged second strongest professional league in the country there isn't a lot of impetus for bean counters to change things up much.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Right and as long as spare games like the Independence Bowl are doing ratings in the same ballpark as the generally acknowledged second strongest professional league in the country there isn't a lot of impetus for bean counters to change things up much.  

I didn't say i liked it.

Trust me.  I'm 100% on board of fucking up the bean counters/ administrators of college football.

That being said, fuck what has become of the NBA.  It is total shit.

18 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

You want to make this shit real?  A little drama back in the regular season and conf champ games?   Make it a six team playoff.   P5 conf champs are in plus one g5 or independent based on ap rankings.   

This would break the gridlock.   And some of the sec teams might look for a new home when they realize that they are never making it to the playoff under the status quo.  

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

24 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Herbie is pretty good all things considered. He turned on Texas when Mack was fired and the fans havent forgiven him. In a non Texas context I enjoy him in the booth.

Another guy outside of the obvious Klatt and Gus I like pretty well is Jesse Palmer. 

Never forget Herb picked A&M to win the Big 12 in 2005. Idk if people remember but Herb early on did the whole Lou Holtz - Mark May shit of making stupid off the wall predictions to draw attention. ESPN I’m sure at some point said you’ll be one of our main faces for CFB if you stop doing that shit. He pretty much changed his whole approach since that time 

You make some good points but we've seen the conference champ thing before with the BCS. It routinely gave us a 3, 4, or even 5 loss team in a major bowl that they only earned by winning an easy division and an upset in the CCG. That 8-5 UConn team in the Fiesta was maybe the worst.

Then Alabama is rewarded with an inferior opponent. We’ve seen this with just about every sport and its not an issue. Its how sports work. Make games matter and ditch committees/judges. Especially if the top seeds get a home game.

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So boring

Sure is. This Rose Bowl is a glorified scrimmage. Absolutely had zero to do with the landscape of crowing a champion post regular season, something every other sport does correctly. Imagine this game being one of the playoff games as it should. Would add to the intensity that much more.

Me saying college football is stale and boring has nothing to do with individual games being good or bad. It's the whole foundation and how a champion is crowned and the extreme disparity in talent. 

People need to stop telling us because the semifinals are blowouts is a reason why it should never be expanded. Fuck that. Watch some of these bowl scrimmages that mean zero in terms of winning and losing and say these teams should not get a chance starting early December to make a title run. Utah won a P5 conference and were an afterthought. Ohio St has a damn good team and top 6 and were not even in the conversation when the season ended. So fucking dumb.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

College football in and of itself isn't boring. It's fun and exciting and there are lots of good games. The bowls have been fine. Some have been a lot of fun. The stale and boring part is that only like two or three have a realistic shot at the title ever year. I watched maybe a quarter total of the CFP games yesterday. I have so little interest in the Georgia-Bama matchup I may watch a movie or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Sure is. This Rose Bowl is a glorified scrimmage. Absolutely had zero to do with the landscape of crowing a champion post regular season, something every other sport does correctly. Imagine this game being one of the playoff games as it should. Would add to the intensity that much more.

Me saying college football is stale and boring has nothing to do with individual games being good or bad. It's the whole foundation and how a champion is crowned and the extreme disparity in talent. 

People need to stop telling us because the semifinals are blowouts is a reason why it should never be expanded. Fuck that. Watch some of these bowl scrimmages that mean zero in terms of winning and losing and say these teams should not get a chance starting early December to make a title run. Utah won a P5 conference and were an afterthought. Ohio St has a damn good team and top 6 and were not even in the conversation when the season ended. So fucking dumb.

These teams all get a chance and it starts back in August. Changing that to late November isn't going to do crap except purposefully assign the greatest mismatched and get more kids to opt out.  Kids aren't opting out for Alabama now, but you add 2 more games for them and they might.

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Let’s just seed the 128 or whatever teams and have 1 play 128, 2 play 127 etc. Winners advance losers pack up their shit after one week. That’s basically how your philosophy works out. 

Like I said, fucking stupid. 

Yep, you're right. That's exactly what I said. Thanks for distilling it down so well. 

16 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

These teams all get a chance and it starts back in August. Changing that to late November isn't going to do crap except purposefully assign the greatest mismatched and get more kids to opt out.  Kids aren't opting out for Alabama now, but you add 2 more games for them and they might.

Again no one is hurting their brand or how some NFL teams may view them by opting out if they are playing for the possibility of winning a championship.  

1 hour ago, usmc0331horn said:

College football in and of itself isn't boring. It's fun and exciting and there are lots of good games. The bowls have been fine. Some have been a lot of fun. The stale and boring part is that only like two or three have a realistic shot at the title ever year. I watched maybe a quarter total of the CFP games yesterday. I have so little interest in the Georgia-Bama matchup I may watch a movie or something.

this is exactly my feelings. pos rep.

5 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

My solution:

Destroy ESPN as an entity. They are the biggest reason why college football and televised sports in general are dull and stale.

Get rid of the playoffs entirely.

More bowl games.

Bring back the AP poll, coaches poll, whoever the fuck wants to bother poll. I don't gaf about rankings, I just want to win the conference, beat OU, and beat a good team in a bowl.

um, polls are and have always been the problem with cfb

• Hook 'Em 2

And Corral going down is exactly the reason so many players are opting out and it will only get bigger. Especially in meaningless scrimmage bowl games that have no bearing on any championship. Just a bowl to make the fat cats richer and ESPN getting more revenue. Draft status and their earning power >>>>> meaningless bowl game. But of course all the couch potato fans and analysts who are paid mouthpieces for the sport try and ridicule and talk down on these players who choose this and call them selfish. Gtfo.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

And Corral going down is exactly the reason so many players are opting out and it will only get bigger. Especially in meaningless scrimmage bowl games that have no bearing on any championship. Just a bowl to make the fat cats richer and ESPN getting more revenue. Draft status and their earning power >>>>> meaningless bowl game. But of course all the couch potato fans and analysts who are paid mouthpieces for the sport try and ridicule and talk down on these players who choose this and call them selfish. Gtfo.

I hear you and generally agree.  That said hypothetically.  You drop a few conference games by mid October.  The CFP is gone and more than likely so is any chance at a conference title.  Opt out ok then?  I mean the rationale would be the same right?  

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

If they’re already making cash money, then it’s fair to chew their ass.

Perhaps you watched Terrell Bernard make some money tonight.

Career ending injuries are not all that common.

8 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

um, polls are and have always been the problem with cfb

But until they figure out a way to structure things equally, polls will always need to exist. There is not a single solution on earth that will change that except having equal conferences/divisions/etc like pro sports, which I never see happening.

On 1/1/2022 at 2:03 AM, C-Man said:

I haven't read any of the replies yet but I'm offering my HSO's anyways. We need to quickly go to a 12 or 16-team playoff. The 4-team playoff is an abject disaster. The best kids want to play for the schools in the playoff -- that's Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and a couple of interlopers here and there. They go every year and therefore gobble up the talent. 

Point taken but Texas out recruits OU almost every year...

The playoffs were on Friday.  Then yesterday there were OTHER bowl games that weren't playoff games.  That is so fucking absurd it can barely be mentioned.  No other bowl games should exist except the playoffs.  That's how every other sport does it.  Even if you want to keep the bowls, which is idiotic but whatever, they should ALL be played before the fucking playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, PilotsError said:

The playoffs were on Friday.  Then yesterday there were OTHER bowl games that weren't playoff games.  That is so fucking absurd it can barely be mentioned.  No other bowl games should exist except the playoffs.  That's how every other sport does it.  Even if you want to keep the bowls, which is idiotic but whatever, they should ALL be played before the fucking playoffs. 

Who freaking let the Texas Bowl play on 1/4? #idiocracy

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

CFP semis are stale because the 4 best teams don't always make it,or as this year, only 2 dominant teams exist.

It's all about relentless recruiting.  Take away Bama's OOS players, especially TX (horns, ags, even ou) and FL (noles, gators, canes) and Saban loses 2-3 games regularly. 

so we come up with attendance zones?

Notre Lame, USC, and the other privates are down with that...

College football today reminds me of NCAA football career mode back on the Sega or whatever platform it was.  It was mildly interesting to land all the 5 star recruits and win the National championship in a blowout every year for a decade.  Then you would start simulating every game until the national championship, that got you another 5 seasons of decreasing enjoyment.  Then you started simulating the championship game, too.  That would keep you blandly engaged for another season or two before you could no longer justify playing and started doing something else for fun.

I feel like I am tuning in to watch Saban play that game, and that college football is squarely in the sim-everything-until-the-championship-game phase of its lifecycle.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are things wrong with CFB's playoff structure and I lament a ton of realignment but pound for pound it is easily the best entertainment for me in the sporting world. 

I'm guessing for the general masses the NFL is more enjoyable because there is more parity and a higher level of play, but CFB is different for many of us. A lot of us love CFB for more than the game on the field but the feelings that it brings up inside of us. For me growing up it was a family reunion every Saturday. It was where my (now deceased) grandfather would have the same seats since the 60s and he never missed a game despite living 4 hours away. It was where I spent 4.5 years enjoying some of the best years of my life as a student with some of my best friends in a time when you feel invincible. It was traveling to play the school of my friends at UT, A&M, Tech, etc...

For those of us it doesn't really matter who wins the title as much as experiencing the sweet sweet nostalgia of CFB and enjoying everything about how connected these teams are to campus and our collective memories.

The corporate NFL could never match this in my estimation, but the masses are not me and did not have my experiences so I understand why they prefer that style. For me and those like me it's impossible to view a more corporate CFB that relies on "NFL fans" to be those that drive the sport as a positive. Sadly, money rules the world so it will/is changing to get those eyeballs but life goes on and luckily it seems that players will reap some benefit from it. 

In summation, fuck you CFB is awesome.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

There are things wrong with CFB's playoff structure and I lament a ton of realignment but pound for pound it is easily the best entertainment for me in the sporting world. 

I'm guessing for the general masses the NFL is more enjoyable because there is more parity and a higher level of play, but CFB is different for many of us. A lot of us love CFB for more than the game on the field but the feelings that it brings up inside of us. For me growing up it was a family reunion every Saturday. It was where my (now deceased) grandfather would have the same seats since the 60s and he never missed a game despite living 4 hours away. It was where I spent 4.5 years enjoying some of the best years of my life as a student with some of my best friends in a time when you feel invincible. It was traveling to play the school of my friends at UT, A&M, Tech, etc...

For those of us it doesn't really matter who wins the title as much as experiencing the sweet sweet nostalgia of CFB and enjoying everything about how connected these teams are to campus and our collective memories.

The corporate NFL could never match this in my estimation, but the masses are not me and did not have my experiences so I understand why they prefer that style. For me and those like me it's impossible to view a more corporate CFB that relies on "NFL fans" to be those that drive the sport as a positive. Sadly, money rules the world so it will/is changing to get those eyeballs but life goes on and luckily it seems that players will reap some benefit from it. 

In summation, fuck you CFB is awesome.

pound for pound or dollar for dollar?

I'd take Texas High School Football any day.  I enjoy all 3 levels, but high school is by far the best bang for the buck.

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

pound for pound or dollar for dollar?

I'd take Texas High School Football any day.  I enjoy all 3 levels, but high school is by far the best bang for the buck.

Well yeah, it costs like$10 to go to a game and a CCB/NFL game is hundreds per ticket. 

I just can't watch HS football unless I personally know a kid playing or one or more of the coaches in the game. Just doesn't interest me otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1