Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

It did strike me as a bit odd that 13 guys, even on a small island, were taken out by a smallish naval vessel.  It could use a big missile, or a broadside from big guns to maybe obliterate everything on the island, but it would seem wasteful, if it even had the arms.  Otherwise it would seem to be whack-a-mole with relatively small arms.

That's the thing about insta-news through social media.  Through the fog of war its pretty difficult to tell what's actually happening.  In this case, I obviously hope that this bit of news (captured vs dead) is true.

34 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

can't those planes that the EU sent take care of it?

31 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I mean...could they prove we droned their tank column?

29 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

if they shoot down the drone, maybe

I will repeat my prior comment.  We "lease" the Ukrainian military a squad of fighter drones for $1.  We also offer paid leave to any drone pilots that wish to take time off to free lance their skills for the Ukrainian military.  They can do their work from their normal home base.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I will repeat my prior comment.  We "lease" the Ukrainian military a squad of fighter drones for $1.  We also offer paid leave to any drone pilots that wish to take time off to free lance their skills for the Ukrainian military.  They can do their work from their normal home base.

Shit, just go round up some Ukrainian bus boys and blackjack dealers in Vegas, sign them up as "reservists" and bus them out to Creech AFB. Have them "fly" the drones while the American pilot looks over their shoulder and tells them what buttons to push. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This thread....is much more interesting.  And is the dead solid fucking truth that the entire country would acknowledge....if a certain political party wasn't owned lock, stock, and barrel by our adversary:

This.

Putin -- and importantly, his military through tech-based attacks -- has been at war with us for at least 8 years.  It would be nice if we fought back.  But I'd settle for half of us just no longer collaborating with him.

• Hook 'Em 9

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This thread....is much more interesting.  And is the dead solid fucking truth that the entire country would acknowledge....if a certain political party wasn't owned lock, stock, and barrel by our adversary:

This.

Putin -- and importantly, his military through tech-based attacks -- has been at war with us for at least 8 years.  It would be nice if we fought back.  But I'd settle for half of us just no longer collaborating with him.

tell me you haven't spent enough time on this thread without telling me you haven't spent enough time on this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

tell me you haven't spent enough time on this thread without telling me you haven't spent enough time on this thread.

Hard to keep up with both, mostly keeping up with the other one.

Just didn't want y'all to thing that I'd given up on hating the GQP as being the party of treason and siding with our enemies.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

come on man, it takes a lot to be an expert on everything. Brisket can't be everywhere at once

LF68 gets it.

My advice to our Surly brethren on how best to interact with the fast-moving Sugar Baby market alone takes up significant attention.  

Not to mention reminding y'all about that time I ran into Susanna Hoffs......

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I'm 55 and just old enough to remember Vietnam winding down, but I've never seen the world* unite around one side in a conflict, and that includes Bush's follies post 911 when the world initially pitied us. Might actually step off Brisket's ledge.

*minus one orange baboon and his followers.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, DaysOff said:

I'm 55 and just old enough to remember Vietnam winding down, but I've never seen the world* unite around one side in a conflict, and that includes Bush's follies post 911 when the world initially pitied us. Might actually step off Brisket's ledge.

*minus one orange baboon and his followers.

I'm taking the chance that the door will be barred when I get there, but I haven't left the cocktail lounge yet. I'm still waiting for my song to come on the jukebox.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm taking the chance that the door will be barred when I get there, but I haven't left the cocktail lounge yet. I'm still waiting for my song to come on the jukebox.

I can assure you that the Ledge jukebox is a kickass sonofabitch.  Puts the old box at the Little Longhorn to shame.  MULTIPLE Faron Young songs, for example.

14 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Biden cleaning house

every time biden does something, i think about it, and after about 5 seconds i determine that yep, trump would've done the exact opposite.

then i remember that biden is old and senile and showing signs of dementia.  demented like a fucking fox right now.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, YChang said:

I mean it could be worse as far as a thread derailment goes... 😆

I'll give it a shot.  I have represented, and still represent, an academic, who is Jewish, that has invented aspects of a Chemical Oxygen Iodine Laser for airborne military applications.  Jewish.  Space.  Lasers.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'll give it a shot.  I have represented, and still represent, an academic, who is Jewish, that has invented aspects of a Chemical Oxygen Iodine Laser for airborne military applications.  Jewish.  Space.  Lasers.

They're only researching that to make us think they don't already have it.  Classic misdirection.  I seent it on Newsmax.

17 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

How in the blue fuck did you reach that conclusion? I expressly said they would have to reciprocate. All I said we should let the Russian people, not the government, know that being allies, not enemies, is a possibility IF things change (e.g., get rid of Putin). 

Of course. I just thought it would help get rid of Putin if we made a small gesture in that direction. 

lol.

i don't mean this necessarily at you, but sort of at this whole thread.

yall think of russia as a western nation, or, for lack of a better descriptor, a european nation. they are nothing close and never have been. they have much more in common with the chinese than they do with the french. they are really a mix between the vikings and the steppe people of asia. true, the leadership of the russian empire (the tsars) intermarried with some european royalty. true, the soviets intervened in world war 2 (only after hitler went insane and attacked them, mind you), but the people of modern day russia, much as it ever was, have had to deal with an oligarchic government for as long as they can culturally remember. you can almost draw a straight line from the bolsheviks to mao zedong. and the pattern is much the same. overthrow of the current oligarchy, purging, more oligarchy, more purging, and after all that, the common folks just trying to get by and maybe reach the safest place: middle class.

but if you look at the territory of russia, from st petersburg to kamchatka, how much do those folks have in common? granted, the vast majority of their population is located in or near the "european" section of the country, but they don't think in the same way as europeans. they think in at least 100 year windows. or at least they have until recently. even with this latest miscalculation, putin was thinking in a longer term way than most western countries do. why? because his people are inured to an oligarchy, and just want to get by. we have 4 - 8 year windows. the chinese and russians have multiple decade windows at times, and even when their leaders do not, the bureaucracy does. 

this idea that russia would be a good faith player in nato is madness. they would spend every waking hour trying to undermine the whole thing. in the end, the russian people have nothing to do with it but be window dressing, a la the bolsheviks or the end of the cold war. what happened after both of those things? you had commissars machine gunning down retreating unarmed soviet conscripts in stalingrad trying to win a battle of attrition with 16 year old kids, and you had bread lines following the fall of the soviet union. you had the same following mao's overtake of china. he wore a blue suit, but you think he ever went without rice or tea or fine foods? what about stalin? you see these poor russian bastards on the front lines while putin sits in a palace? tell me how he's different than nicholas II. you can't, except that he, just like mao, has cloaked himself in the guise of fake populism backed by people getting hauled away to the gulags.

the people always suffer. life is cheap in asia. always has been.

asia, especially russia and china, has always had imperial ambitions. goes for the middle east as well. same for the west, until democracy showed up to reign in the bloodthirst, at least nominally.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

There are Americans that will buy this guy's bullshit.  We are the dumbest country ever.

This eschatological bullshit is at the heart of many evangelical's support for Israel... to exist so that they'll start the final war that leads to Jesus coming back (or that follows Jesus coming back... hard to tell sometimes).

This was something we heard during W's Administration...

• Rage+1 2

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

lol.

i don't mean this necessarily at you, but sort of at this whole thread.

yall think of russia as a western nation, or, for lack of a better descriptor, a european nation. they are nothing close and never have been. they have much more in common with the chinese than they do with the french. they are really a mix between the vikings and the steppe people of asia. true, the leadership of the russian empire (the tsars) intermarried with some european royalty. true, the soviets intervened in world war 2 (only after hitler went insane and attacked them, mind you), but the people of modern day russia, much as it ever was, have had to deal with an oligarchic government for as long as they can culturally remember. you can almost draw a straight line from the bolsheviks to mao zedong. and the pattern is much the same. overthrow of the current oligarchy, purging, more oligarchy, more purging, and after all that, the common folks just trying to get by and maybe reach the safest place: middle class.

but if you look at the territory of russia, from st petersburg to kamchatka, how much do those folks have in common? granted, the vast majority of their population is located in or near the "european" section of the country, but they don't think in the same way as europeans. they think in at least 100 year windows. or at least they have until recently. even with this latest miscalculation, putin was thinking in a longer term way than most western countries do. why? because his people are inured to an oligarchy, and just want to get by. we have 4 - 8 year windows. the chinese and russians have multiple decade windows at times, and even when their leaders do not, the bureaucracy does. 

this idea that russia would be a good faith player in nato is madness. they would spend every waking hour trying to undermine the whole thing. in the end, the russian people have nothing to do with it but be window dressing, a la the bolsheviks or the end of the cold war. what happened after both of those things? you had commissars machine gunning down retreating unarmed soviet conscripts in stalingrad trying to win a battle of attrition with 16 year old kids, and you had bread lines following the fall of the soviet union. you had the same following mao's overtake of china. he wore a blue suit, but you think he ever went without rice or tea or fine foods? what about stalin? you see these poor russian bastards on the front lines while putin sits in a palace? tell me how he's different than nicholas II. you can't, except that he, just like mao, has cloaked himself in the guise of fake populism backed by people getting hauled away to the gulags.

the people always suffer. life is cheap in asia. always has been.

asia, especially russia and china, has always had imperial ambitions. goes for the middle east as well. same for the west, until democracy showed up to reign in the bloodthirst, at least nominally.

People once thought Hitler and the Germans were irredeemable.  After being crushed, they weren't.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

There are Americans that will buy this guy's bullshit.  We are the dumbest country ever.

Do these kooks literally hear voices in their head, like as if its someone else talking and not their own internal synapses creating the conversation? I know many of them are just flat out lying grifters, but some I think might literally believe their own bullshit, and I just have no basis for understanding someone outside of legitimate psychoses thinking that some all powerful being is literally talking to them or giving them the ability to interpret anything.

4 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

People once thought Hitler and the Germans were irredeemable.  After being crushed, they weren't.

well, hitler was.

the germans were not, but as someone who works with quite a few, it's still quite a big national cultural scar. 

but i would argue that germany is a very different sort of imperial animal than asian countries like china, russia, and, yes, japan, among others. wish i had more time to explain my thoughts, but japan spent thousands of years thinking they should own the world, then shut itself away. meanwhile, china took over the world with the mongols and other efforts. the soviets did much the same after world war 2. i would argue that western nations were not ready for the aggression stalin was going to bring to bear with his so-called allies post-war. it's just a different mindset. we did the marshall plan. he did the iron curtain.