Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

37 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont think that is correct. College football playoff participants have an additional 5 day window in January.. 

Where do you see that info? Not doubting you. Just everything I’ve heard is the portal closes January 2 and then there’s a 15 day portal in the spring (which is too late for a QB to go)

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers
4 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Where do you see that info? Not doubting you. Just everything I’ve heard is the portal closes January 2 and then there’s a 15 day portal in the spring (which is too late for a QB to go)

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/4/media-center-di-council-approves-changes-to-notification-of-transfer-windows.aspx

New transfer windows for Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision football will include a 30-day window beginning the Monday after FBS conference championship games. For student-athletes on teams that compete in the postseason (for example: College Football Playoff, FCS championship, bowl games) there will be an additional five-day transfer window following the contest.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/4/media-center-di-council-approves-changes-to-notification-of-transfer-windows.aspx

New transfer windows for Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision football will include a 30-day window beginning the Monday after FBS conference championship games. For student-athletes on teams that compete in the postseason (for example: College Football Playoff, FCS championship, bowl games) there will be an additional five-day transfer window following the contest.

Maybe his announce was intention and then he’s gonna officially be in after? 

I have a question.  Hypothetical, not about any specific team.  If a player enters the portal in December, and skips the bowl game, and then his team goes on to win the whole damned thing, does the player get a championship ring?

On the one hand, player may have played in some games, contributed in some way, but on the other hand - quit before the finish line, put self before team, wasn't part of the final push.

I say "give em the ring."

I never saw “IT” in Maalik Murphy’s performances at Texas granted it’s a limited sample size.  What I have seen, however and on several occasions, is a QB transfer from Texas about which I had a similar opinion only to watch that QB thrive elsewhere.  Cam Rising is a good current example though he never actually played here, but other names include Shane Beuchelle, Garrett Gilbert and others I’m failing to recall.  Feels like there’s definitely been a QB pipeline from Texas to SMU and Utah that’s worked well for transfers.  I wish Maalik luck wherever he decides to go

• Hook 'Em 1

Comparing Maalik to Quinn and other exceptional QBs isn't fair. The kid hasn't played much and he has a lot of development left in him. Look at what Tate Rodemaker and other backup QBs have looked like around the country.

It's unfortunate that QB room was too healthy for him to have much of a path here, but he's got plenty of ability to go somewhere and be the guy. If you can do something some of the time, you can do it all of the time. A team with a strong running game that allows him to make easy throws downfield or shallow is probably the way to go. He's probably a guy you don't want throwing more than 25 times a game unless he can increase that 55% completion percentage.  

God speed MM, and hook'em

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hammerin Hank said:

But if you wait that long the available jobs have already been filled, and you don’t have as much time to meet with coaches to find the best spot. It’s in his best interest to get in the portal now.

correct.  he's not a starter or a guy getting a ton of playing time on a CFP team that can pick his spot.

He's also a QB.  teams with no definite starter at QB have to know early so they can move on.  no better way to kill your team than miss out on a transfer QB you need.

Oh for fuck’s sake. Guy is just doing what is best for him in the long run.

If QE could leave right now to be the number one pick in the draft (he would not be and it’s not even close) he would absolutely leave us. Are you fucking kidding me? QE came into college with a “show me the money” attitude and some of you acting like Maalik is an asshole for moving on. Smdh. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Try again Copernicus. The situation/timing forced his hand, and he is handling it with class. I’m sure MM and Sark had a discussion and worked toward this resolution together.

Yours is simply another contrarian take that ignores all situational context and seeks to identify MM as a bad guy or “not a team player”. 

additionally, I’d wager this is the best result for both MM and Texas. It helps settle the QB room discussion for next year, and places Arch as QB2 for the CFP. I hope we don’t need arch, but I would prefer to have him as QB2 after seeing the full season play out. 

That was already settled. But I know what you mean. You dont have to play politics now and split their snaps. Arch can get 100% of the QB2 snaps. (Or QB1 if Ewers decides to go pro)

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

The portal window leaves him no choice. His choice was basically 1) stay for the playoffs and waste another year on the bench at Texas, or 2) leave his team before the playoffs so he has an opportunity to start and play next year 

You can’t fault him for making the decision that is best for him. I fault the NCAA for forcing that choice upon him.

This. It isnt his fault. He knows Arch is better than him and he knows this is his best chance to secure a starting spot. He had no option. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

If QE could leave right now to be the number one pick in the draft (he would not be and it’s not even close) he would absolutely leave us. Are you fucking kidding me? QE came into college with a “show me the money” attitude and some of you acting like Maalik is an asshole for moving on. Smdh. 

Maybe a few think that, but it seems the vast majority are wishing him well.  

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

maybe I missed it, but I have not seen a single post hammering Maalik. Vast majority of the post are very positive. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

What if Sark already had this conversation with Maalik?

I'm sure they had a frank, positive conversation about the path forward and Maalik's potential options. They seem to like each other a lot and Maalik loves this team and being a Longhorn.

Hopefully this decision works out in everyone's best interest. Win win win.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

I'm sure they had a frank, positive conversation about the path forward and Maalik's potential options. They seem to like each other a lot and Maalik loves this team and being a Longhorn.

Hopefully this decision works out in everyone's best interest. Win win win.

Sark strikes me as that type and Maalik could probably use Sark as a reference.   IMO though Sark said jack shit about Arch being ahead of him.  I think it’s all about competition 

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of you motherfuckers are some real motherfuckers.

Maalik helped get the team to the CCG, kept the team from losing, and the best you can do is shit on him?

Well have at it I suppose.

I choose the wish the young man the best of luck and thank him for his contribution to an amazing season.

We must do and will do what is best for ourselves.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So the tweet lists teams showing interest include:  Georgia, UCLA, LSU, Syracuse, Rice.

None of those seem like good options for Maalik.  Any other ideas for schools/coaches that run an offense built for a pocket passer?  Maybe a really good QB coach and offensive coordinator?

I'm not a fan of Maalik playing in the Big 10 or SEC at this point in his career.  Hope he finds a place where he can start, and get good QB development.  He definitely will need a good offensive line due to his lack of mobility...

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on UCLA. Closer to home.

Like the thread title change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

I never saw “IT” in Maalik Murphy’s performances at Texas granted it’s a limited sample size.  What I have seen, however and on several occasions, is a QB transfer from Texas about which I had a similar opinion only to watch that QB thrive elsewhere.  Cam Rising is a good current example though he never actually played here, but other names include Shane Beuchelle, Garrett Gilbert and others I’m failing to recall.  Feels like there’s definitely been a QB pipeline from Texas to SMU and Utah that’s worked well for transfers.  I wish Maalik luck wherever he decides to go

I think we're going to see that here, simply because what I saw from the guy was a freshman having very typical freshman struggles in his first starts. I think he'll overcome those issues and do well. The only issue he has here is the depth chart in our QB room... well, how do you describe it accurately? Have there been more than three or four QB depth charts in all of collegiate football history like ours this year?

Because I think the answer is "no" and the number of depth charts better is "zero point zero."

I don't think Milwee leaves for any job simply because... who would give up being the lead of a QB room like this?

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

We could definitely use him.

There are approximately 132 teams in FBS that could use him.

4 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Try again Copernicus. The situation/timing forced his hand, and he is handling it with class. I’m sure MM and Sark had a discussion and worked toward this resolution together.

Yours is simply another contrarian take that ignores all situational context and seeks to identify MM as a bad guy or “not a team player”. 

additionally, I’d wager this is the best result for both MM and Texas. It helps settle the QB room discussion for next year, and places Arch as QB2 for the CFP. I hope we don’t need arch, but I would prefer to have him as QB2 after seeing the full season play out. 

I really appreciate the analysis Freud. Speaking of that, I have found that when people unnecessarily put stuff in parenthesis like "not a team player" they are often mentally unstable. It's not that I am a contrarian, it's that you are a cowardly automaton.

I think it's pretty clear at this point in their development that MM is further along, and that is why Sark started him in two games. Now that he has this much game experience it is not even close. Quinn has been injured several times. If he goes down in the playoffs and Arch is thrown in the game, then Texas could be in real trouble. If that happens many people will be questioning this decision. 

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He’s not a player who’s skills will be missed or who’s going to start at another program. That’s just all there is to it.

You just can’t help being a fucking asshole can you?  You’ve seen him in 2 and a half games his in freshman year and that’s enough for you to make that assessment.  I’d wager that Maalik is better at football than you are at anything in your life.

The idea that he wouldn’t start at a shitload of D1 schools is silly.  There’s like 130 FBS teams out there. He’s going to start at one of them. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

i was really po'ed about the brainfart pick against kstate, and was down on his ability to qb1

but we won

ewers came back

we experienced the wailing and lamentation of the yormark

so malik's resume will include "developed by and played for sark" which actually means something in the league

what's at stake for him:

squints pro career

played from 14 through 22

Career Earnings: $2,668,585

TD–INT:    1–1
Passing attempts:    75
Passing completions:    43
Passing yards:    477
Completion percentage:    57.3
Passer rating:    75.2

That's not a lot of work to put a lot of cash in the bank

MM should consider $3m his career earnings floor with lots of upside but he has to get at least 1 solid starting season if not 2 to get attention in the draft

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Hyperbole is strong in this thread. I really hope he does well wherever he lands and he seemingly did everything the right way while he was here. He’s not a player who’s skills will be missed or who’s going to start at another program. That’s just all there is to it.

And there you have it, folks. Maalik destined to win the Heisman now.

32 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You just can’t help being a fucking asshole can you?

ad7ff021-4249-4697-8478-7f972e89d5db_tex

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I’d wager that Maalik is better at football than you are at anything in your life.

And unless you think he can do more than 17 straight legit pull-ups you’d lose that wager. What a dumb assumption. 

I seriously don’t want to come across as a Maalik hater or anything. I truly hope he proves me wrong. But I just don’t see it with him and never have.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

I think we're going to see that here, simply because what I saw from the guy was a freshman having very typical freshman struggles in his first starts. I think he'll overcome those issues and do well. The only issue he has here is the depth chart in our QB room... well, how do you describe it accurately? Have there been more than three or four QB depth charts in all of collegiate football history like ours this year?

Because I think the answer is "no" and the number of depth charts better is "zero point zero."

I don't think Milwee leaves for any job simply because... who would give up being the lead of a QB room like this?

There are approximately 132 teams in FBS that could use him.

I didn't come up with this on my own, so don't neg me, but one of our games Leinart was covering, he interviewed Sark and Sark said this year's QB room is comparable to the one USC had when he was there.  Carson Palmer, Leinart, and Matt Cassell.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Quinn has been injured several times. If he goes down in the playoffs and Arch is thrown in the game, then Texas could be in real trouble. If that happens many people will be questioning this decision. 

It doesn’t matter.  If Quinn goes down, we are in real trouble with QB2 or QB3.  The gap between Quinn and the others right now is huge especially at this level of play. This is the playoffs and you need your best playing.  

I wish Maalik the best and get why he has to make this move. It’s not selfish, it’s the situation.

• Hook 'Em 4

I have a question.  Hypothetical, not about any specific team.  If a player enters the portal in December, and skips the bowl game, and then his team goes on to win the whole damned thing, does the player get a championship ring?
On the one hand, player may have played in some games, contributed in some way, but on the other hand - quit before the finish line, put self before team, wasn't part of the final push.
I say "give em the ring."
If players who never saw the field beyond warmups, trainers, equipment managers etc all get rings, why not a QB who started and won 2 games? Without those two games there are no rings to worry about, not even conference Championship.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

I didn't come up with this on my own, so don't neg me, but one of our games Leinart was covering, he interviewed Sark and Sark said this year's QB room is comparable to the one USC had when he was there.  Carson Palmer, Leinart, and Matt Cassell.

I was thinking of that when I wrote the above. Honestly, I think ours might be better.

cuz leinart sucks 😉

• Hook 'Em 2

It doesn’t matter.  If Quinn goes down, we are in real trouble with QB2 or QB3.  The gap between Quinn and the others right now is huge especially at this level of play. This is the playoffs and you need your best playing.  

I wish Maalik the best and get why he has to make this move. It’s not selfish, it’s the situation.

While I agree it would be nice to have Maalik for our playoff game(s), Arch isn't exactly your typical 3rd stringer. Having said that, if Quinn truly goes down I'm not sure either Maalik or Arch are up to the challenge if we're honest. At that point the running game and defense would need to step up big time.

People have been saying that the portal and NIL was going to ruin college football. I didn't see why that had to be the case. I get it now. I used to love the NFL, but free agency pretty much has ruined it. The team doesn't mean anything. I saw Harvey Martin interviewed one time. They asked him about throwing a funeral wreath in the Redskin's locker room one time after they kicked their asses. He said he can't believe the way players laugh and hug the other teams players after games. He said back then the teams hated each other. That was great football. The NFL has become almost unwatchable now. I still love college football but it's headed the same direction.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

People have been saying that the portal and NIL was going to ruin college football. I didn't see why that had to be the case. I get it now. I used to love the NFL, but free agency pretty much has ruined it. The team doesn't mean anything. I saw Harvey Martin interviewed one time. They asked him about throwing a funeral wreath in the Redskin's locker room one time after they kicked their asses. He said he can't believe the way players laugh and hug the other teams players after games. He said back then the teams hated each other. That was great football. The NFL has become almost unwatchable now. I still love college football but it's headed the same direction.

Nobody watches the NFL anymore.  They have 5 years of solvency left tops.

• Haha 5