Celebrity Death Pool -- 2023

Aqua Buddha

Not a celebrity, but pretty noteworthy, and absolutely changed the world: Roger Payne, who discovered whale songs, died at 88.

Roger Payne, the scientist who spurred a worldwide environmental conservation movement with his discovery that whales could sing, has died. He was 88.

Payne made the discovery in 1967 during a research trip to Bermuda in which a Navy engineer provided him with a recording of curious underwater sounds documented while listening for Russian submarines. Payne identified the haunting tones as songs whales sing to one another.

He saw the discovery of whale song as a chance to spur interest in saving the giant animals, who were disappearing from the planet. Payne would produce the album “Songs of the Humpback Whale” in 1970. A surprise hit, the record galvanized a global movement to end the practice of commercial whale hunting and save the whales from extinction.

Payne was cognizant from the start that whale song represented a chance to get the public interested in protecting an animal previously considered little more than a resource, curiosity or nuisance. He told Nautilus Quarterly in a 2021 interview that he first heard the recording in the loud engine room of a research vessel and knew almost instantly that the sounds were indeed whales.

"In spite of the racket, what I heard blew my mind. It seemed obvious that here, finally, was a chance to get the world interested in preventing the extinction of whales,” he told the magazine.

Payne died Saturday of pelvic cancer. He lived in South Woodstock, Vermont, with his wife, the actress Lisa Harrow. Funeral arrangements have not yet been made, Harrow said.

Payne had four children from a previous marriage to zoologist Katy Payne, with whom he collaborated. The two used primitive equipment in the late 1960s to record the sounds of humpback whales, which sometimes sing their eerie, complex songs for longer than a half-hour at a stretch.

The impact of the whale song discovery on the nascent environmental movement was immense. Many anti-war protesters of the day took on saving animals and the environment as a new cause, and the words “save the whales” became ubiquitous on tote bags and bumper stickers.

Whale songs would enter the popular imagination via everything from a 1971 episode of “The Partridge Family” to a 1979 issue of National Geographic that included a flexi disc with excerpts from “Songs of the Humpback Whale.” It remains the best-selling environmental album in history.

Payne founded Ocean Alliance in 1971 to advocate from the protection of whales and dolphins. The organization operates to this day in Gloucester, Massachusetts. It has played a role in watershed moments in the history of whale protection, such as the 1972 passage of the Marine Mammal Protection Act by the U.S. Congress and the 1982 commercial whaling moratorium passed by the International Whaling Commission.

I remember when I got the issue of National Geographic with the record in it:

sothw-natgeo.jpg

It genuinely changed my life.  That was the beginning of me becoming a conservationist, and of being much more aware of all of the world around me (I was already a hunter and fisherman, but it helped open my perspective up to see all the things going on around me, and the interdependent web of life, particularly in the ocean, which I loved).

Dude actually made the world a better place, just by making millions more aware of the amazing things that are in it.  Salute to Roger Payne.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Not a celebrity, but pretty noteworthy, and absolutely changed the world: Roger Payne, who discovered whale songs, died at 88.

I remember when I got the issue of National Geographic with the record in it:

sothw-natgeo.jpg

It genuinely changed my life.  That was the beginning of me becoming a conservationist, and of being much more aware of all of the world around me (I was already a hunter and fisherman, but it helped open my perspective up to see all the things going on around me, and the interdependent web of life, particularly in the ocean, which I loved).

Dude actually made the world a better place, just by making millions more aware of the amazing things that are in it.  Salute to Roger Payne.

Whales are dumb. Except orcas them mother fuckers rock. 

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/horns-report/rene-ramirez-the-galloping-gaucho-for-the-longhorns-in-the-late-1950s-dies-at-85/

Rene Ramirez, a Texas Athletics Hall of Honor member and halfback for the Longhorns football team in the late 1950s, died Tuesday, his family announced. He was 85 years old.

Family members said Ramirez passed “surrounded by friends and family” at his home in McAllen after battling a long illness. “He was surrounded by people he loved, and until the day he died, everything was Hook ‘em Horns, Hook ‘em Horns,” his daughter Teresa Castillo said. “When he would have a good day, we’d sing him and play UT band songs, and he would just light up.”

Ramirez, nicknamed “Tha Galloping Gaucho,” was one of Darrell Royal’s first recruits when he took over the Longhorns in 1957 and one of the first Mexican-Americans to play football at Texas.

As a halfback in Royal’s wishbone offense, Ramirez was a first-team all-Southwest Conference performer his senior year. Texas finished 9-2 and was ranked No. 4 in both national polls that season. He also made four interceptions on defense in his career.

The Hebbronville native was inducted into the Hall of Honor in 2013.

After football, Ramirez worked in the insurance industry in both Austin and the Rio Grande Valley and founded the Rene Ramirez Youth Development Camp to help underprivileged kids in east Austin. He graduated from Texas in 1961 with a degree in mechanical engineering.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

How could Ramirez have played in Royal's wishbone when it wasn't installed in the offense until 1968?

You are correct. Rene was not playing when the bone was invented. He was one of my first heroes when I was a kid. Ramirez. Bobby Lackey. Later on, James Saxon. Bigger than life to a little kid. 

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I basically worshipped some college badasses when I was a little kid and get a chuckle out of my own kids looking up to a few of them.  But looking back on it with years of experience, it's dumb as shit to go full fanboi with any athlete much less a college player.  

I know some fangirls.

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I basically worshipped some college badasses when I was a little kid and get a chuckle out of my own kids looking up to a few of them.  But looking back on it with years of experience, it's dumb as shit to go full fanboi with any athlete much less a college player.  

I'll fight the man who questions my manhood over being a fanboi of this guy.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

21 hours ago, Burt said:

I'll fight the man who questions my manhood over being a fanboi of this guy.

WHAT THE FUCK @Burt - I open this thread and see an Earl highlight.
Do not put that thought into our heads; and my heart skipped a few beats until I figured out your post.
I would neg you for that, but it is against my message board credo 

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Do not put that thought into our heads; and my heart skipped a few beats until I figured out your post.

Never occurred to me. My bad!

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Goddamn.  The day Earl dies, I'm gonna cry like a little bitch.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Not official but I'm sure it's coming soon. I had no idea he was missing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66012686

Hikers in the US have found human remains near the area where British actor Julian Sands disappeared.

Identification should be completed next week, the San Bernardino County sheriff's department in south California said on Saturday.

Sands, 65, disappeared on 13 January while hiking in the San Gabriel Mountains, north of Los Angeles.

He is best known for his roles in the Oscar-winning film A Room With A View, and the TV dramas 24 and Smallville.

His other credits included 2011's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, in which he appeared opposite Daniel Craig.

Sands, born in Otley, West Yorkshire, disappeared in the Baldy Bowl area during bad weather.

"Civilian hikers contacted the Fontana Sheriff's Station after they discovered human remains in the Mt Baldy wilderness," the sheriff's department said.

The statement gave no other details.

Sands's family issued a statement early this week expressing gratitude "to the search teams and coordinators who have worked tirelessly to find Julian".

"We continue to hold Julian in our hearts with bright memories of him as a wonderful father, husband, explorer, lover of the natural world and the arts, and as an original and collaborative performer," they said.

I always loved "Warlock". Need to watch it again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jeez.  

Near Muskogee, OK, police say they found the bodies of Jimmie Johnson's (racecar man) in-laws and 11 year old nephew.  Apparently, the M-I-L shot and killed her grandkid, then her husband, then took the easy way out.  What a POS.  

https://nypost.com/2023/06/27/jimmie-johnsons-in-laws-dead-in-apparent-murder-suicide/

Edited by Trey3216
  • Rage+1 3
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

A solid 65 points:

That shit is scary. Swiming at the beach and drowning. Not scuba diving or falling off a boat way off shore, just swimming near a sand bar and the water gets rough and you tire out. Fuck.

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

That shit is scary. Swiming at the beach and drowning. Not scuba diving or falling off a boat way off shore, just swimming near a sand bar and the water gets rough and you tire out. Fuck.

Guy at work just got back from a week at Panama Beach and tried to tell me how great it was. Guess he didn't know I check the news, which makes it even funnier because that's a big part of our job.

6 hours ago, Sandman said:

Gotta force yourself to swim parallel to the beach if (when) caught in a rip current.... sucks hearing that news.

I was swimming around an island bay today and when I got out past the point, the current out to sea was a motherfucker. I was wearing fins and it seemed to take me 20 minutes or so to make it back to protected water. I think without fins that it wouldn’t have been possible. It is calm now but wasn’t that way this morning. 

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I was swimming around an island bay today and when I got out past the point, the current out to sea was a motherfucker. I was wearing fins and it seemed to take me 20 minutes or so to make it back to protected water. I think without fins that it wouldn’t have been possible. It is calm now but wasn’t that way this morning. 

image.jpeg

Also, a humblebrag.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 6/28/2023 at 8:30 AM, Macanudo said:

Here's an odd fact about Mallett.  He backed up Chad Henne the one season Mallet was at Michigan (2007) .   Henne just retired from the NFL.   

Henne's last college football game was against Zac Taylor at QB.  His second to last NFL game was against Zac Taylor at Head Coach.

• Hook 'Em 1