New GOP Congressman's entire resume is faked

Orale

I shouldn't be, but I am continuously amazed at the Republicans ability to fuck up simple decisions.  I made my post after ALL Republican leadership came out in favor of Santos, so I figured it was a done deal.

They've lost a number from their majority, yet somehow Democrats will still be able to credibly say that Republican leadership supported Santos's shenanigans.  Just incredible stuff.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Haha 2

It's a guaranteed GOP loss in the special election to replace him so the fact that nearly half of the GOP voted to kick him out means it's probably even worse than what we already know.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

7 people who don’t want that precedent set bc they have shady shit about to come up?

Normal precedent to kick out someone is to wait for a conviction. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not Voting:

Crawford Republican Arkansas NOT VOTING
Jackson Lee Democratic Texas NOT VOTING
Johnson (OH) Republican Ohio NOT VOTING
Kelly (PA) Republican Pennsylvania NOT VOTING
McCarthy Republican California NOT VOTING
Ocasio-Cortez Democratic New York NOT VOTING
Phillips Democratic Minnesota NOT VOTING
Rodgers (WA) Republican Washington NOT VOTING

Present

REPRESENTATIVE PARTY STATE VOTE
Green, Al (TX) Democratic Texas PRESENT
Jackson (IL) Democratic Illinois

PRESENT

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

7 people who don’t want that precedent set bc they have shady shit about to come up?

Or somebody who thinks that voting out a Congressman is the only proper Constitutional method of launching people like him.   

There is a position that if you get to vote out people you don’t like, then you set a precedent for partisan bouncing of members for a variety of lesser reasons.   The GOP will both-sides a traffic ticket and a rape conviction if the GOP rapist is bounced first.   I remember someone had a position that you should just remove the person from all committee responsibilities and authority, essentially neutering their position in Congress.  

I disagree with that, and think that pieces of shit like him do not deserve to continue to vote on important national issues.

• Hook 'Em 4

From my State of New York, AOC did not vote, and Santos, Stefanik (I cannot stand her) and Tenney (another worthless lump) voted Nay.  Every other member of the New York delegation, including Lawler, Malliotakis, and Molianory (some of the worst of the GQP) voted Yay.  

For Texas, the following voted Nay:

Arrington

Babin

Carter (Someone needs to run against this hack)

Cloud

Fallon

Gooden

Hunt

Jackson (SJL did not vote, so this is the other Jackson)

Luttrell

McCaul

Nehls (this guy sucks)

Roy (Carpetbagger)

Self

Sessions

Van Duyne (she is horrific)

Weber 

Williams

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Not Voting:

Crawford Republican Arkansas NOT VOTING
Jackson Lee Democratic Texas NOT VOTING
Johnson (OH) Republican Ohio NOT VOTING
Kelly (PA) Republican Pennsylvania NOT VOTING
McCarthy Republican California NOT VOTING
Ocasio-Cortez Democratic New York NOT VOTING
Phillips Democratic Minnesota NOT VOTING
Rodgers (WA) Republican Washington NOT VOTING

Present

REPRESENTATIVE PARTY STATE VOTE
Green, Al (TX) Democratic Texas PRESENT
Jackson (IL) Democratic Illinois

PRESENT

SJL is probably in Houston campaigning. So I get why she didn’t vote. 

I assume Johnson from OH is Bill Johnson, who is quitting soon to be president of YSU

Dean Phillips, new both sides hero, didn’t vote either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I saw part of Gaetz' hissy fit on the floor yesterday.  To that I would say:

-- the House has the power to expel, regardless of criminal conviction

-- Congress can "expel" POTUS via the impeachment process, regardless of crime or action -- why the difference?  There is no difference.  Bye.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

-- Congress can "expel" POTUS via the impeachment process, regardless of crime or action -- why the difference?  There is no difference.  Bye.

Gaetz might be concerned he is next, ethics report coming out, and if it's as bad as implied, it might be enough to get him as well.  That's why he didn't want this.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

43 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

From my State of New York, AOC did not vote, and Santos, Stefanik (I cannot stand her) and Tenney (another worthless lump) voted Nay.  Every other member of the New York delegation, including Lawler, Malliotakis, and Molianory (some of the worst of the GQP) voted Yay.  

For Texas, the following voted Nay:

Arrington

Babin

Carter (Someone needs to run against this hack)

Cloud

Fallon

Gooden

Hunt

Jackson (SJL did not vote, so this is the other Jackson)

Luttrell

McCaul

Nehls (this guy sucks)

Roy (Carpetbagger)

Self

Sessions

Weber 

Williams

Carter was maybe the biggest beneficiary of the 2022 redistricting. Tx31 went from R+4 and falling to R+15.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

100%. Expulsion does not require due process. 

And while this action could be abused by a party with a large majority, history has proven this to only be a hypothetical problem. We should want Congress to feel obligated to expel a member that has a ridiculous number of charges or accusations. I would hope they wouldn't just take the word of a DA that the crimes are real. 

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Or somebody who thinks that voting out a Congressman is the only proper Constitutional method of launching people like him.   

There is a position that if you get to vote out people you don’t like, then you set a precedent for partisan bouncing of members for a variety of lesser reasons.   The GOP will both-sides a traffic ticket and a rape conviction if the GOP rapist is bounced first.   I remember someone had a position that you should just remove the person from all committee responsibilities and authority, essentially neutering their position in Congress.  

I disagree with that, and think that pieces of shit like him do not deserve to continue to vote on important national issues.

A total of 311 members of the House voted to expel New York GOP Rep. George Santos, including 105 Republicans. In total, 114 House members voted against the expulsion, with two members recording themselves as "present."

All four top House GOP leaders — House Speaker Mike Johnson, House Majority Leader Steve Scalise, House GOP Conference Chair Elise Stefanik and House GOP Whip Tom Emmer — voted to keep Santos in Congress.

In total, 112 Republicans voted against expelling Santos.

A total of 206 Democrats voted to expel Santos. Two Democrats voted against expelling Santos from the House. They were Bobby Scott of Virginia and Nikema Williams of Georgia. Meanwhile, these two Democrats voted present: Jonathan Jackson of Illinois and Al Green of Texas.

-- CNN.com

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That's my rep (and I agree).

Matthew-McConaughey.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

It’s a logical argument except Republicans aren’t logical and will do that shit anyway. They will literally talk about settled law under oath and then overrule settled law. They don’t give a fuck about standards or precedent. They just convince people they do. 

Santos was a fraud and deserved to be booted. It was the right thing to do.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Michelle Goldberg clearing the bases on this one:

Should the blessed day ever arrive when Donald Trump is sent to federal prison, only one of his acolytes has earned the right to share his cell: George Santos, who on Friday became the sixth person in history to be expelled from the House of Representatives, more than seven months after he was first charged with crimes including fraud and money laundering. (He’s pleaded not guilty.) A clout-chasing con man obsessed with celebrity, driven into politics not by ideology but by vanity and the promise of proximity to rich marks, Santos is a pure product of Trump’s Republican Party. “At nearly every opportunity, he placed his desire for private gain above his duty to uphold the Constitution, federal law and ethical principles,” said a House Ethics Committee report about Santos released last month. He’s a true child of the MAGA movement.

That movement is multifaceted, and different politicians represent different strains: There’s the dour, conspiracy-poisoned suburban grievance of Marjorie Taylor Greene, the gun-loving rural evangelicalism of Lauren Boebert, the overt white nationalism of Paul Gosar and the frat boy sleaze of Matt Gaetz. But no one embodies Trump’s fame-obsessed sociopathic emptiness like Santos. He’s heir to Trump’s sybaritic nihilism, high-kitsch absurdity and impregnable brazenness.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

How can we argue that it’s unconstitutional when the Constitution explicitly explains how the House can expel a member? 

• Hook 'Em 1