What the fuck is wrong with you, Southwest Airlines?

Parliament

I dont get the check bag deal.  The only time we check a bag is for a week long ski trip.  I have 3 teen girls plus wife.  Teach them to pack correctly and if needed a standard roller and large duffle.  Put the purse in the bag and take out before putting in overhead. I can go anywhere for a week with a roller bag and a backpack.  NEVER EVER check a bag, that is the most amateur thing a traveler can do, completely blows my mind that people will check a bag for a long weekend.  All carriers allow for 2 carry-ons.  The standard carry plus a large duffle is to go-to.  Most times for a long weekend pack back pack and jam it under the seat in front, then once airborne, put it under your calves and rotate as needed back underneath,  save all the pain of a cancel or need to go standby.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Cop is probably disappointed he didn't get to book anyone... He was condescending as fuck to her and treating those people like they're just fucking cattle. 

Super classy move by Southwest to call the cops on their own customers that they fucked over

I'm very confused on how getting a flight canceled means you're now trespassing in the airport. Also, Southwest doesn't own the airport. At most, they lease a small portion of the terminal (and generally not the public areas). So, at most, Southwest should be able to remove them from the gate area, not the entire secure area of the publicly owned airport. And, again, getting a flight cancelled does not mean you're not entitled to be in the airport. Cop and Southwest fucked up big time. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm very confused on how getting a flight canceled means you're now trespassing in the airport. Also, Southwest doesn't own the airport. At most, they lease a small portion of the terminal (and generally not the public areas). So, at most, Southwest should be able to remove them from the gate area, not the entire secure area of the publicly owned airport. And, again, getting a flight cancelled does not mean you're not entitled to be in the airport. Cop and Southwest fucked up big time. 

There have been incidents where the SW staff has been assaulted by passengers during this mess. If that happened then that explains why cops were there. 

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

I dont get the check bag deal.  The only time we check a bag is for a week long ski trip.  I have 3 teen girls plus wife.  Teach them to pack correctly and if needed a standard roller and large duffle.  Put the purse in the bag and take out before putting in overhead. I can go anywhere for a week with a roller bag and a backpack.  NEVER EVER check a bag, that is the most amateur thing a traveler can do, completely blows my mind that people will check a bag for a long weekend.  All carriers allow for 2 carry-ons.  The standard carry plus a large duffle is to go-to.  Most times for a long weekend pack back pack and jam it under the seat in front, then once airborne, put it under your calves and rotate as needed back underneath,  save all the pain of a cancel or need to go standby.

I don't believe you. Pic of wife and kids packing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, The Dog said:

There have been incidents where the SW staff has been assaulted by passengers during this mess. If that happened then that explains why cops were there. 

Did you watch the video? The cop was kicking everyone at the gate out of the airport for having a "cancelled" ticket and thus trespassing. 

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

I usually have 4 bags counting a purse, backpack (with work crap/laptop and standard carry on essentials like snacks, ipad, headphones, water bottles, etc.), a carry on suitcase and a larger suitcase. I shove my purse in my backpack right before I board (then take it out) so that effectively gets me to 3 bags. From time to time I shrink down to the just the carryon sized but the benefit of just accepting at least one checked bag is that you don't have to go through the bs of shitty products in small packages or putting your nice product in small packages. basically fuck the 4oz rule.  and you know what happens with my checked bag?  everyone asks if they can put their shit in it.  it's like a purse, you carry one people want you to be the mule. you check a bag, they want you to be the mule, all while making fun of you for it.

• Hook 'Em 5

47 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't believe you. Pic of wife and kids packing.

Major benefit of having a wife that travels almost every week for work. She's got packing down to a science. It's a badge of honor for her that she never checks a bag. Just one of many reasons I'm happy to be married to her.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Major benefit of having a wife that travels almost every week for work. She's got packing down to a science. It's a badge of honor for her that she never checks a bag. Just one of many reasons I'm happy to be married to her.

Mine too. And until recently, I was the one who insisted that only heathens carry on suitcases. The aforementioned B&R was a game changer if only due to time saved.

Though yesterday I helped my daughter check a bag with a pistol and ammo just to show her how easy it is. The counter agent was brand new and thought I was kidding when I walked up and said “she is traveling with a gun and ammo.” She actually said “it's not in her carry on, right?”

Question - not to derail the thread, but what if we had gone from the range to the airport and TSA had swabbed her clothes and hands? I'm assuming it would have set off the detector. Which is why we didn't have a range session prior to her flight.

I would like to thank SWA for my unexpected trip to Chicago - luckily it is only about a 4 hour drive; into the Windy City just before 4:30 this morning and back out before 6:30. No traffic on the way in, and only a little traffic going back through and I didn't see any shootings, muggings or stabbings. 

The janitor was pretty funny, yelling and swearing at people to stay out of the bathroom while he was cleaning  - should have taken a video of that but I wasn't on my A game. 

Heard the flight went very smoothly, sounds like Delta may have earned themselves a loyal customer; or Alaska Airlines, or anyone but SWA. My traveler was super pissed.

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought you said schedules were the issue.
As an airline employee myself (and airline pilot legacy), I try not to begrudge the rank-and-file for demanding their fair share after decades of corporate malfeasance. But ALPA/APA/TWU/IAM (and most other labor unions for that matter) can absolutely get fucked. They have two explicit goals: 1) increase membership (read: increase income from dues), and 2) get their members paid as much as possible for doing as little work as possible. They relish every opportunity to hold the company hostage and have zero interest in its overall health, insofar as 1) and 2) above are unaffected. FUPM, indeed.
Sorry for the thread derail, back to your [regularly] scheduled SWA meltdown.
Who's this fucking guy?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Question - not to derail the thread, but what if we had gone from the range to the airport and TSA had swabbed her clothes and hands? I'm assuming it would have set off the detector. Which is why we didn't have a range session prior to her flight.

Had a friend get nailed after a round of skeet one afternoon.  Don’t think much came of it. But they swabbed him good, probably went knuckle deep but he didn’t say. 

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I would like to thank SWA for my unexpected trip to Chicago - luckily it is only about a 4 hour drive; into the Windy City just before 4:30 this morning and back out before 6:30. No traffic on the way in, and only a little traffic going back through and I didn't see any shootings, muggings or stabbings. 

The janitor was pretty funny, yelling and swearing at people to stay out of the bathroom while he was cleaning  - should have taken a video of that but I wasn't on my A game. 

Heard the flight went very smoothly, sounds like Delta may have earned themselves a loyal customer; or Alaska Airlines, or anyone but SWA. My traveler was super pissed.

Glad you made it okay.  Everybody in Texas who is an expert with ballistics and hunting tells me everybody who ventures into Chicago gets shot dead. I don’t know how they still have so many people there.  Must be Ed Rooney

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, austingirl said:

This business with Southwest is bullshit but since we’re discussing packing, I will share that I, a woman, went to India for a week-long business trip with only a purse and a carry-on. Could barely lift it over my head on the way back, with souvenirs and whatnot, but I did it.

You know the rules.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, austingirl said:

This business with Southwest is bullshit but since we’re discussing packing, I will share that I, a woman, went to India for a week-long business trip with only a purse and a carry-on. Could barely lift it over my head on the way back, with souvenirs and whatnot, but I did it.

It’s easy.  Any number of websites give tips on how to do it.  Samantha Brown talks about it all the time on her IG feed.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, SuperSport said:

I thought you said schedules were the issue.

As an airline employee myself (and airline pilot legacy), I try not to begrudge the rank-and-file for demanding their fair share after decades of corporate malfeasance. But ALPA/APA/TWU/IAM (and most other labor unions for that matter) can absolutely get fucked. They have two explicit goals: 1) increase membership (read: increase income from dues), and 2) get their members paid as much as possible for doing as little work as possible. They relish every opportunity to hold the company hostage and have zero interest in its overall health, insofar as 1) and 2) above are unaffected. FUPM, indeed.

Sorry for the thread derail, back to your [regularly] scheduled SWA meltdown.

So tell me more how much you like licking CEOs boots. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, troph said:

I usually have 4 bags counting a purse, backpack (with work crap/laptop and standard carry on essentials like snacks, ipad, headphones, water bottles, etc.), a carry on suitcase and a larger suitcase. I shove my purse in my backpack right before I board (then take it out) so that effectively gets me to 3 bags. From time to time I shrink down to the just the carryon sized but the benefit of just accepting at least one checked bag is that you don't have to go through the bs of shitty products in small packages or putting your nice product in small packages. basically fuck the 4oz rule.  and you know what happens with my checked bag?  everyone asks if they can put their shit in it.  it's like a purse, you carry one people want you to be the mule. you check a bag, they want you to be the mule, all while making fun of you for it.

You way over pack.

My delay at Logan this morning amounted to just about 4 hours. Jet Blue just sent an email apologizing and informing me I will see another email with some unspecified flight credit within a week. All the attention paid to this Southwest shitshow must have some of the other carriers all spooked enough to make sure they aren't fucking up anything as well. 

Also Briggs & Riley suitcases are worth the $$, IMO. I can pack a week’s worth of clothes in the 22” Essential Carry on.

I have the same carry on. I always rent a place with a W/D if I’m staying more than 5 days so I can use this suitcase for every trip. I also really like the B&R backpack for travel. It slips right over the handle and is just the right size.

5 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Also Briggs & Riley suitcases are worth the $$, IMO. I can pack a week’s worth of clothes in the 22” Essential Carry on.

I bought a B&R rollerboard in ‘99 for about $400. I’ve had it repaired twice for free by B&R. They stand behind their products. It’s still in good shape, and I have 1.5 million miles on AA and 200K on Delta.

It’s the rare occasion when I check a bag. It’s normally when I have a 2+ week international trip that requires more than one category of dress (biz + tourism + cold weather gear).

I trained my wife how to travel when I took her to Greece when we were dating. Pack right; pack light. You gotta carry your own stuff. My family knows this, and we all pack to travel without checking bags.

Checking bags introduces another variable that can screw up your plans.

Edited by GenXer
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1