the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

21 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They gonna vote today or nah?

I don't really see the point of Congress even meeting until the Republicans work out what they are going to do. But maybe they are required procedurally to get together and engage in this charade for the rest of the week.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't really see the point of Congress even meeting until the Republicans work out what they are going to do. But maybe they are required procedurally to get together and engage in this charade for the rest of the week.

Fitzpatrick wants to delay 72 hours to keep negotiating. The moderates sound scared if they need to push this off until Monday 

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Dems should switch strategy now and vote him in. He would be so weak at that point that he would be worthless (even more than now, if possible).

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

In order for the Democrats to compromise the Republicans have to bring forth an acceptable candidate. One that accepts the results of the 2020 election as a minimum.

It is going to ensure that there will not be any deals made with Biden by the Republican leadership even just to keep the lights on. That is the idea here I think. This enables the most celebrity chasing attention whoring Republican to steer the House. 

As Valmy correctly (imo) states, a weak McCarthy isn't worthless...to the HFC holding his strings. They'll force him further AF right as possible on everything just so he gets to keep saying he is speaker. A weak McCarthy is a horrible fucking scenario. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Dunno. According to the Beaver and Jake Sherman, he’s a wooing the GOP Moderates.

the what?

The only end to this is McCarthy sitting in the office with "Speaker" on the door, but Matt Gaetz truly running the show.

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, tokamak said:

Joining the thread for the first time. I don't understand McCarthy's play here. Why not just cave to the loonies and give them everything they want? It's not like he's some sort of moderate that gives a fuck about policy or anything - literally all he wants in life is to be speaker, everything else be damned.

They don't want anything

Some Men Just Want To Watch The World Burn GIFs | Tenor

other than McCarthy to not be Speaker of the House

7 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Never gets old. Never stops being hilarious. Will always repost. 

Can somebody edit over the part where the avatar shouts his name with "HAAAAAKEEEEEM JEFFRIEEEEEEEEEES!"

I know it wasn't actually Jeffries saying his name, but it'd still be funny.  

13 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Never gets old. Never stops being hilarious. Will always repost. 

Did that run more times than I can count back in the day. Seeing that video still makes me laugh. The amount of noobs that activated them on accident was always funny to watch.

• Hook 'Em 3

Radical Republicans: "Stop mentioning slavery! That is over! We weren't slave owners, so stop mentioning it! You're not a slave!"

Also radical republicans: "Let's put the new Black guy up this time to nominate Kevin, and let's have him mention how his family was slaves!"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

You know what's not funny?  Watching people get laid off and/or their families getting similarly fucked, because of this dysfunction. Not funny at all, and the "Repuglicans" or "ConservaKKKS", I blame 100%.   Fucking bastards.  There are a ton of us out here that could make a difference in helping people get by.  These fuckers like Chip Roy are just assholes.   Fuck those guys.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

And now we know the Republicans are going to run John James for senate again in 2024 since Debbie Stabenow announced her retirement this morning... 3rd time is the charm?

John James?  That smug, Dick Van Dyke-looking motherfucker?

so i realize this is just a technicality, but if mccarthy wins with the rules he's agreed to, what happens when there's a vote to vacate every other week?  do they have to vote someone new in, or are we back to square one (where we are now)?  i can't imagine they'll find a new person to rally around, so does mccarthy just retain the speakership or does it roll back to having no speaker?

and while that is going on, does he have to keep moving in and out of his office, because that is something i would like to see.

Its Moving Day Friends GIF - Its Moving Day Friends Joey ...

• Haha 1