Cousin of BLM co-founder died after run-in with LAPD

52-80

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64252337

summary:

The police who Tasered Mr Anderson were called to a traffic accident in the Venice neighbourhood of Los Angeles at around 15:00 local time.

Police chief Michel Moore told a news conference on Wednesday that Mr Anderson had committed a felony hit-and-run in a traffic collision.

He said Mr Anderson had attempted to flee the scene by trying to "get into another person's car without their permission".

Footage shows Mr Anderson in distress when police arrive, telling the first officer "somebody is trying to kill me", although no visible threat appears on camera.

Initially, Mr Anderson sits down as directed but as more police arrive he gets up and runs into the street while ignoring requests for him to stop.

When police reach Mr Anderson and attempt to detain him, he is initially compliant before shouting: "Please" and "help" and "they're trying to George Floyd me!" - a reference to the May 2020 murder of a black man in Minneapolis, Minnesota, by a policeman.

The stun gun was initially used on Mr Anderson for about 30 seconds after an officer warned him multiple times to "stop [resisting arrest] or I'm going to tase you". Other officers were holding him down. He was then tasered again for roughly five more seconds.

full video:

So we have a dumb-ass, who is clearly mentally confused and very probably on something, being legitimately questioned by a rather-patient cop, who then decides to run away from the cop and has to be tasered to be restrained.  Four and a half hours after he is taken to a hospital he has a medical emergency and dies.   

I think the lesson here is  Don't do Drugs.

While he's on the ground after being cuffed he yells that they "sedated" him. If this story takes an unexpected turn and we find out that street cops really are sedating people, I'll gladly get my pitchfork, join the mod, and blast some NWA.   Until then, it looks like the Cops are completely in the right on this one.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

While he's on the ground after being cuffed he yells that they "sedated" him. If this story takes an unexpected turn and we find out that street cops really are sedating people, I'll gladly get my pitchfork, join the mod, and blast some NWA.   Until then, it looks like the Cops are completely in the right on this one.

Cops have been using ketamine since 2020 to subdue people. 

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/09/08/ketamine-police-safety-elijah-mcclain

There's a ton of stories of people being drugged by cops because they don't like your speech or are just lazy. The discussion of it was somewhat caught up in all the other horrific, antidemocratic, aggressive, repressive bullshit the cops were doing in the 2020 summer of love.

Cops have killed a few people with it already too. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Cops absolutely do not and have not ever under any circumstances administered ketamine to anyone.

Oh my bad, it makes such a difference when it's a cop ordering a paramedic to do it and threatening them if they refuse. 

https://theintercept.com/2020/08/25/ketamine-police-use-minnesota/

Baker said he felt pushed out of his job after refusing to administer ketamine in an incident in September 2019. Prior to that, he had to give ketamine injections on three other occasions as part of Woodbury EMS and recalled a trigger-happy mentality in the department around the drug.

“The dispatchers would say: Get your ketamine ready, bring your ketamine,” he said. His lawsuit claims that the “symbiotic relationship between EMS and police officers has created room for police officers to coerce paramedics like Plaintiff Baker to administer Ketamine on unwilling subjects.”

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

That was just a weird video overall. Was he part of the car accident? If so. He was acting weird as fuck. Cop was being super nice. Anderson sketched out and ran away for no reason. Cop chased him down. They tasted him because he resisted arrest. 

rick james cocaine GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

And yeah.....from what I see and understand.... just an unfortunate outcome.

Dude was clearly having an episode -- drugs, but likely also a mental illness episode as well (they go together rather frequently, self-medicating and all that).  Cop wasn't overly aggressive, and tasers ARE a recognized and useful (if used correctly and not abused) non-lethal way to get control of an out-of-control suspect.  And the death happened well after the fact.

There MAY be some point here about how depending on law enforcement to handle all of our mental health/crisis intervention is maybe a bad idea, but even if we had a different apparatus set up, this is still the kind of situation law enforcement would respond to anyway (the car wreck).

I'm no big fan of law enforcement, and I'm sure there are things here that could have been done better, but all in all, this doesn't look like the cops were acting wrong or out of bounds.  Sad outcome for someone who was experiencing a crisis.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

So we have a dumb-ass, who is clearly mentally confused and very probably on something, being legitimately questioned by a rather-patient cop, who then decides to run away from the cop and has to be tasered to be restrained.  Four and a half hours after he is taken to a hospital he has a medical emergency and dies.   

that's what happens when you stick a bunch of cocaine up your butt and then not tell anyone.....

of course I'm just guessing

2 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

A toxicology report produced by the LAPD showed that Mr Anderson's blood tested positive for cannabis and cocaine.”

I’ve never been sedated with that combo. Assuming that’s accurate…

Cant believe cops injected that into him

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

That looks like the typical paranoia associated with excessive cocaine use. Pretty impressed by the cop. 

Most cops that make it onto Youtube are there because they suck at being cops. This guy gets a A+.   

I watched it again and that motorcycle cop should train other cops.  He got the guy out of the street then realized the guy was not right and he calmed everything down. He went with a softer voice, he gave the guy space, he let the guy talk, he didn't cuff the guy initially (which he probably was justified if he wanted to), when the guy didn't want to sit against the wall because he "wanted to be seen" the cop was cool and said fine sit other there and be seen.  Deescalate and defuse.  Unfortunately it still ended badly.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Oh my bad, it makes such a difference when it's a cop ordering a paramedic to do it and threatening them if they refuse. 

https://theintercept.com/2020/08/25/ketamine-police-use-minnesota/

this is the story where i first heard of LE using ketamine and i was horrified... that's some next level big brother shit, just injecting people on the street...

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-09-23/colorado-man-elijah-mcclain-died-from-od-of-sedative-given-by-paramedics-autopsy-shows#:~:text=|-,Sept.,2022%2C at 6%3A37 p.m.&text=DENVER (Reuters) - Elijah McClain,Dr.

11 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Most cops that make it onto Youtube are there because they suck at being cops. This guy gets a A+.   

I watched it again and that motorcycle cop should train other cops.  He got the guy out of the street then realized the guy was not right and he calmed everything down. He went with a softer voice, he gave the guy space, he let the guy talk, he didn't cuff the guy initially (which he probably was justified if he wanted to), when the guy didn't want to sit against the wall because he "wanted to be seen" the cop was cool and said fine sit other there and be seen.  Deescalate and defuse.  Unfortunately it still ended badly.

yeah, these are all the steps that we want cops to follow in these situations...DE-escalation. kudos to the cop, tragic result. 

4 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Meh, the cops are never right. Remember where you're posting.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And yeah.....from what I see and understand.... just an unfortunate outcome.

Dude was clearly having an episode -- drugs, but likely also a mental illness episode as well (they go together rather frequently, self-medicating and all that).  Cop wasn't overly aggressive, and tasers ARE a recognized and useful (if used correctly and not abused) non-lethal way to get control of an out-of-control suspect.  And the death happened well after the fact.

There MAY be some point here about how depending on law enforcement to handle all of our mental health/crisis intervention is maybe a bad idea, but even if we had a different apparatus set up, this is still the kind of situation law enforcement would respond to anyway (the car wreck).

I'm no big fan of law enforcement, and I'm sure there are things here that could have been done better, but all in all, this doesn't look like the cops were acting wrong or out of bounds.  Sad outcome for someone who was experiencing a crisis.

holy shit

who are you, and what are you doing with Brisket's computer 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

yeah, these are all the steps that we want cops to follow in these situations...DE-escalation. kudos to the cop, tragic result. 

Jesus fuck. For the second fucking time because evidently you and the other chucklefuck can’t read for shit. No cop has EVER carried or administered ketamine to anyone in the history of cops. Or ketamine. Or chucklefucks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Cop did well. Calmed down the situation and then handled it when out of control. Good response from all elements. Good coordination, etc. \

That is what tax payers deserve. 

Cocaine and weed don't mix well. 

These.  Just because the cops are very, very often wrong and very, very often handle shit poorly.....doesn't mean that they ALWAYS do.  And we should observe and hold up examples of when they do it right so we can day "that - THAT is what we want you to be doing."  It's true no matter what the outcome.  Sometimes you can do everything right and you still end up with a tragic outcome.  I mean, the review board found that Maverick wasn't responsible for Goose's death, Mav didn't do anything wrong....but Mav still carried that burden with him all those years later.

"Talk to me Goose...."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Jesus fuck. For the second fucking time because evidently you and the other chucklefuck can’t read for shit. No cop has EVER carried or administered ketamine to anyone in the history of cops. Or ketamine. Or chucklefucks.

breakfastclub.gif.8d10d62883dee149b1eedf1064e4b452.gif

the story i posted clearly says paramedics administered/injected it. it says that in the link. and in the headline.

it also says:

Three police officers and two paramedics were criminally charged in McClain’s death in 2021, following protests.

All five are charged with manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide and are set to enter pleas in November.

LEOs didn't inject it. they  caused it to be used. i mean semantics, but congratulations...?

taylor-swift-you-need-to-calm-down.gif.cc597e572623c4cf9cb1606c0be3354c.gif

it's still horrific that it would be used in LE situations on the street at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

If i ever got my hands on some special K you know what im *not* doing?

give it to other people for free 

The boy said it's the club drug of choice in Glasgow -- "I've been offered ketamine more times than I can count.  It's weird as hell, I think I only had it offered once in Berlin."  So far, he's stuck with just weed.  And he says the scottish weed sucks, it's all from shitty indoor grows.  So, there's that.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The boy said it's the club drug of choice in Glasgow -- "I've been offered ketamine more times than I can count.  It's weird as hell, I think I only had it offered once in Berlin."  So far, he's stuck with just weed.  And he says the scottish weed sucks, it's all from shitty indoor grows.  So, there's that.

I thought coke was yuge in the UK.

3 hours ago, mchookem said:

this is the story where i first heard of LE using ketamine and i was horrified... that's some next level big brother shit, just injecting people on the street...

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-09-23/colorado-man-elijah-mcclain-died-from-od-of-sedative-given-by-paramedics-autopsy-shows#:~:text=|-,Sept.,2022%2C at 6%3A37 p.m.&text=DENVER (Reuters) - Elijah McClain,Dr.

14 minutes ago, mchookem said:

breakfastclub.gif.8d10d62883dee149b1eedf1064e4b452.gif

the story i posted clearly says paramedics administered/injected it. it says that in the link. and in the headline.

it also says:

LEOs didn't inject it. they  caused it to be used. i mean semantics, but congratulations...?

taylor-swift-you-need-to-calm-down.gif.cc597e572623c4cf9cb1606c0be3354c.gif

it's still horrific that it would be used in LE situations on the street at all. 

Because if you’ll notice in the above quoted post, you verbatim said the cops are injecting people. 100% false. Cops don’t have any say whatsoever in this. Zero. Zilch.

The drugs are in the possession, under the supervision, and the sole responsibility of the paramedic that signed the DEA chain of custody form at the beginning of his or her shift. I don’t give a flying fuck what the cops did or did not say or how they said it, they have zero culpability in the administration of ANY controlled substance. So, once again, when you or anyone else says the cops are injecting people you are 100% lying because like I said, they have never and never will have the ability to administer narcotics to anyone.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Because if you’ll notice in the above quoted post, you verbatim said the cops are injecting people. 100% false. Cops don’t have any say whatsoever in this. Zero. Zilch.

The drugs are in the possession, under the supervision, and the sole responsibility of the paramedic that signed the DEA chain of custody form at the beginning of his or her shift. I don’t give a flying fuck what the cops did or did not say or how they said it, they have zero culpability in the administration of ANY controlled substance. So, once again, when you or anyone else says the cops are injecting people you are 100% lying because like I said, they have never and never will have the ability to administer narcotics to anyone.

You need some weed and ketamine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1