45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

I think it will be a wide ranging indictment, as every Trump loving asshole involved in Trump's false criticism of the Georgia election - and any plans to overturn Georgia's election thru calls or fake electors, makes each person who made just one call or who sent one email to anyone across state lines to help Trump with his attempt to overturn the Georgia election can be added as a co-conspirator for that single act - and have to lawyer up and defend the RICO conspiracy claim.  

This is the final paragraph of my long cat. The one thing I wanna point out is the ungodly amount of money that will be spent by all of these Republican assholes on the defense of this thing. Trump is not going to pay for all their bills, so even with fundraising there is going to be a huge amount of money that would otherwise have gone to GOP candidates that is instead going to legal fees for these assholes. Somebody up thread mentioned that and they are exactly correct. It makes me smile. 

Edited by Gatorubet
I said wide ranging, but I never imagined 19 codefendants. Holy shit.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6305eea8ff6142466d66b0ed760e7ed0.jpeg

Yeah, glam metal in the 1980s owes a lot to her. As do several gazillion of my unborn children.

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Fani Willis seems like a prosecutor I’d not like to face. Since I’m not a RICO target

GOOD

She seems nice. Bout my age, super smart, nice face. Would.

59 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Damn, she charged everybody but Barron.

Barron_Jahdae_sss_Texas00210.jpg?width=3

Why would she charge him?

Oof.  It's kind of the nature of RICO I guess, but that indictment is a sprawling, bloody mess compared to Smith's.

And, if Willis really said all 19 will be tried together, that's not exactly reassuring of her judgment.  I don't think any judge would allow that for various reasons, not the least of which is what a fucking zoo that trial would be.  And, it's probably not a good idea to force a jury to submit to that kind of firehose of information.

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Meanwhile . . . 

It's bad enough that the NYT has a pitchbot writing plausible nonsense, that MSNBC has to key up the outrage and concern, but I keep looking at things like the off season elections in places like Wisconsin for their SC and Ohio on whether or not they should be able to vote on stuff and that doesn't feed the fear factor. I'm not feeling complacent, but I'm damn sure not going to feed the fears.

Get out there and do something. Feed the workers and make it happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Oof.  It's kind of the nature of RICO I guess, but that indictment is a sprawling, bloody mess compared to Smith's.

And, if Willis really said all 19 will be tried together, that's not exactly reassuring of her judgment. 

Not all of those people have a lot of coin.  Unless they qualify for the public defender route, there is an economic incentive for many of those lower level people, being tasked to do their job by the higher ups, to plea.  I would imagine a shallow, self-serving asshole like Jeffrey Clark would want to sell himself at the earliest opportunity.  Maybe being a former prosecutor in jail is an attractive thought, but I think not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Not all of those people have a lot of coin.  Unless they qualify for the public defender route, there is an economic incentive for many of those lower level people, being tasked to do their job by the higher ups, to plea.  I would imagine a shallow, self-serving asshole like Jeffrey Clark would want to sell himself at the earliest opportunity.  Maybe being a former prosecutor in jail is an attractive thought, but I think not.

I'm fascinated by how this could play out.  If a lower-level conspirator flips, is it an all or nothing deal?  The charges seem to require 5 years minimum with no probation on a guilty verdict.  Will the DA have to let them off the hook completely in exchange for information and/or testimony?

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I'm fascinated by how this could play out.  If a lower-level conspirator flips, is it an all or nothing deal?  The charges seem to require 5 years minimum with no probation on a guilty verdict.  Will the DA have to let them off the hook completely in exchange for information and/or testimony?

I am almost positive that the five-year minimum refers to the minimum sentence, but not the minimum time served.  You might serve six months of the five-year sentence, like any other crime.   That aside, it just depends what any particular defendant has to give up. Can they supply particulars where the prosecutors evidence is a bit sketchy?  Who else can fill in the dots? Evidence is more valuable if it is not the same evidence that they can get from five other different people.  And as always, can they provide evidence of communication with higher ups?   If you have the goods on the Georgia state senator, that does not give you the same juice as if you have the goods on Trump.

But as always, the people who get the deal first get a better deal.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ain't nobody got the patience to deal with surly's shitty search function.

on teh googles "rico site:surlyhorns.com" returns the proper page with the 2nd result:

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Just to set the record straight, I know all the rightwing pundits wanted to make Obama seem like an emasculated unAmerican fancypants for ordering French Dijon mustard, but the man's first choice was the decidedly tough and masculine all-American SPICY mustard. That other shit was just an afterthought. The worst sin would've been for him to, god forbid, ask to have Devil's sperm (mayo) on his burger.

He's from Chicago, so you know he's not putting catsup on shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Trump wrote that himself, or he has people that are just as shitty with their vocabulary and the English language as he is.  Leading polls by a lot?    A right to challenge a rigged and stolen election that the democrats do all the time?  That’s how a 5 year old communicates.

Neither.  He's speaking to his audience.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So, while they've been citing the Left for "Woke," and cancel culture, they were actively rigging voting machines and trying to throw an election?  The Left must seem down right primitive to their way of thinking.  They've been woke, cancelled culture (Florida does it best when they rewrite history) and are now on to new ways of cheating Democracy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

So, while they've been citing the Left for "Woke," and cancel culture, they were actively rigging voting machines and trying to throw an election?  The Left must seem down right primitive to their way of thinking.  They've been woke, cancelled culture (Florida does it best when they rewrite history) and are now on to new ways of cheating Democracy.  

I doubt they were rigging them, I assume they were looking for evidence of tampering because they are so stupid they believed the big lie. Like immediately believed it. Of course they chose a district Trump won huge because those are the rot brains that would give them access. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4

Holy shit. Rudy is such a piece of shit. In the indictment, it says that Rudy stated to the Georgia subcommittee that Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss were “quite obviously surreptitiously passing around USB ports as if they’re vials of heroin or cocaine”

Meant to post this here. Not in DT

8 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

actually, I’m not sure that that’s correct.  There is a mandatory minimum sentence, but not mandatory jail time. this is from a Cobb County ex DA on the Maddow show.

Oh, sorry.  I was quoting the DA from her press conference last night.  Looking at the GA statute, it looks like there's eligibility.  Maybe she's not entertaining it as far as a plea goes though.  Or, as a practical matter, I wouldn't expect to see the person at the top of the RICO pyramid get that sort of sentencing leniency. 

Edited by dcbc

7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Yeah, that's true.  I think you mentioned it previously, but one of the big pluses of a RICO case is so many people become criminally liable for so much stuff just by being part of the "enterprise" that there's a huge incentive for low-levels to plead out and give evidence on higher ups.

Still that "I'm gonna try all the defendants together" is a curious thing to say.

One pretty reassuring thing is that Jack Smith hasn't said anything "curious," and his indictments are sharp, focused and very clearly fact-based.

I didn't see any really new revelations in this indictment, except they seem to have nailed Sidney Powell's direct involvement in the Coffee County voting machine hacks.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Holy shit. Rudy is such a piece of shit. In the indictment, it says that Rudy stated to the Georgia subcommittee that Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss were “quite obviously surreptitiously passing around USB ports as if they’re vials of heroin or cocaine”

Meant to post this here. Not in DT

actually were vape pens

• Haha 1

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated