Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

The hospital I'm working on right now just kicked their generators on. I ran into the Ops manager, I was kinda worried my guys did something to trigger the generators, but he told me that El Paso electric called him, and all the hospitals in the area asking to run generators for a couple hours every afternoon.

Getting close to rolling blackouts I guess, at least here. It's been 107-110 this entire week and doesn't look to be cooling down anytime soon. Further west in Phoenix it's even hotter, 113+. Dry heat thankfully, but it's still a bruiser. Also a shit ton of swamp coolers up here and none of them do shit in this heat, but people are running them 24/7. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Going to Breckenridge next Tuesday for a week of hiking, craft brews, and actual breathing of oxygen outdoors. I’m 57 and don’t think I’ve ever been more excited about a trip in my life. This shit has really worn me down mentally this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Going to Breckenridge next Tuesday for a week of hiking, craft brews, and actual breathing of oxygen outdoors. I’m 57 and don’t think I’ve ever been more excited about a trip in my life. This shit has really worn me down mentally this year.

Enjoy it. The heat, that is.

This will be cooler than most of the summers for the rest of our lives.

10 hours ago, txduck87 said:

We went to Breck the first week of August last summer during peak summer bullshit.  Holy fuck it felt so good to be in cooler weather for a week, even wearing jeans once or twice for evening dinners.  Enjoy the time to recharge, and drink all of the beers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

We went to Breck the first week of August last summer during peak summer bullshit.  Holy fuck it felt so good to be in cooler weather for a week, even wearing jeans once or twice for evening dinners.  Enjoy the time to recharge, and drink all of the beers.

My family headed out to Utah on June 29 for a USA Climbing Competition  with the plan that we would hit some National Parks/Forrest while there and on the way back to Austin on July 18.

Day 1 of the road trip we arrived Albuquerque, and despite being in a desert was still much cooler than Austin.

Salt Lake City was great.  I would even get in the hot tub every morning too loosen up before I went on my bike rides.

Alas, I was drawn back to San Antonio on an emergency flight  6 days into the trip when my dad was taken to the emergency room and later moved to ICU where he died 6 days later.  Funeral planning and helping my mom kept me here for the duration of the trip.  My wife and kids could not even attend the funeral since the kids had national competitions up until a day or two before his funeral.

My parent's ranch is southeast of San Antonio and it was 108 all four days I was down there cleaning up the yard and garage.

image.jpeg.362b262e6c9bf700d763bdd5de2fa133.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Kids birthday party today at our backyard pool in SW Austin.  My wife scheduled the party for…2-5pm.  Will re-post in the “wives and the stupid shit they do” thread.  Thinking about making hot toddies and putting a bunch of blankets out around the fire pit because why not go all the way.

Gotta admire the commitment to the bit.  Pro tip: Heat the pool for added effect.

• Haha 3

On 7/22/2023 at 1:49 PM, Snake Diggity said:

Oh, the pool is being “heated”, brother.  My guess is that the water is around 93.  Refreshing.

And the birthday party theme this year?  You guessed it!  Smaller Human Bacteria Frappe' !!!

• Haha 1