The Preseason Polls are F'n Stupid, But Here We Are Thread

TrashMaster G

After McElroy was complaining about Texas ahead of OU, Herbie started saying if two 11-1 teams at the end have played, the head to head isn’t necessarily that important compared to how the teams are playing, eye test, etc.

I highly doubt a scenario comes to pass with Texas and Bama both winning out, but if it does I guarantee you Herbie (and a few others) will be ranking Bama over Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, LonghornSean said:

After McElroy was complaining about Texas ahead of OU, Herbie started saying if two 11-1 teams at the end have played, the head to head isn’t necessarily that important compared to how the teams are playing, eye test, etc.

I highly doubt a scenario comes to pass with Texas and Bama both winning out, but if it does I guarantee you Herbie (and a few others) will be ranking Bama over Texas.

Probably, but also depends who both play in their champ game. Alabama beats a top 5 Georgia and we beat a top 10-15 OU/KSU/OSU? Alabama’s win is probably more impressive.

4 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

If Texas and Bama both win out then Texas and Bama are going to the playoffs

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Lets take a moment to laugh at Texas Tech

That's really bad. Regarding Texas FBS schools that leaves Tech, UTEP, TXST and UNT that have never made the CFP top 25. The last 3 make sense but Tech never getting ranked is inexcusable.

26 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Oregon hype is so bizarre. A loss to Washington and no strong OOC wins… But sitting at #6 ahead of a Texas team that beat Alabama by double digits on the road. Lol

The Pac 12 has a really deep league. I am not worried about their champion being there at the end.

56 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bama jump Texas as early as next week if we both look good this weekend.  Not saying it's right, but the Bama/SEC bias is still real and and a win over LSU is going to be perceived as a lot better than a win against KSU.  

1 hour ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Oregon hype is so bizarre. A loss to Washington and no strong OOC wins… But sitting at #6 ahead of a Texas team that beat Alabama by double digits on the road. Lol

Agree, what's the big Pac12 win this year? The conference started with a bunch of hype, but watching them play I'm not seeing it at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Herbie doesn't have a vote.  Nor does McElroy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

A big part of the annual whinging over ranking and bowl selection (but also heisman and mvp and related contests) is that nobody agrees on the criteria from the very onset.  If they do that at the start, then people wouldn't be able to change the implied criteria in the middle of the season, and we wouldn't go around in the circles every year.

For determining the best 4 teams in the country, is it:

* the best 4 teams right now ?

* the best 4 teams throughout the entire year ?

* the winners of the 4 strongest conference ?

Establish those priority at the beginning and it'll be super easy to settle arguments afterwards.

Agree, what's the big Pac12 win this year? The conference started with a bunch of hype, but watching them play I'm not seeing it at all.

A legitimate contender for the Big 12 championship lost 33-7 to South Alabama. Another one lost to Ohio (not State). The, what, fourth (?) best team in the PAC cruise controlled over a team that’s competitive in the SEC. The Big Ten West exists (WSU may or may not even make a bowl out of the PAC and beat a contender for that division). Etc etc.

CFB is a top heavy sport with most leagues getting kind of yikes after 2-3 teams, and the PAC has greater depth of competent teams than anyone else this year. That’s the angle.
  • Like 1

It the Dominant Team fallacy.

Having a dominant team doesn't make your conference good.  In fact, it usually means the opposite.  In good conferences, you can't really have a dominant team.  Someone eventually will play you hard and might even beat you.  Stop looking saying UO sucks because they lost to a really good UW, and start realizing that even UCLA and OrSt are really good this year and capable of exposing flaws in the big dogs.  That's what makes a conference good.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Coaches Poll:

Rank Team Record PTS 1st Prev Chg Hi/Lo
3473.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Georgia
9-0 1587 55 1 - 1/1
3435.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Michigan
9-0 1479 4 2 - 2/2
3439.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Ohio State
9-0 1468 5 3 - 3/4
3409.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Florida State
9-0 1433 0 4 - 3/8
3470.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Washington
9-0 1357 0 5 - 5/11
3465.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Oregon
8-1 1235 0 7
+1
6/15
3488.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Texas
8-1 1209 0 6
4/12
3478.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Alabama
8-1 1187 0 8 - 3/12
3440.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Penn State
8-1 1093 0 9 - 5/10
3482.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Ole Miss
8-1 1052 0 10 - 10/22
3505.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Louisville
8-1 938 0 15
+4
11/NR
3476.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Tennessee
7-2 785 0 16
+4
9/20
3466.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Oregon State
7-2 756 0 19
+6
12/21
3499.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Utah
7-2 747 0 18
+4
10/19
3428.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Missouri
7-2 658 0 14
14/NR
3430.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Oklahoma
7-2 552 0 11
6/19
3431.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Oklahoma State
7-2 543 0 NR
+10
17/NR
3426.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Kansas
7-2 481 0 23
+5
18/NR
3481.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30LSU
6-3 468 0 13
5/23
3511.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Tulane
8-1 377 0 21
+1
20/NR
3601.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30James Madison
9-0 279 0 24
+3
21/NR
3509.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Notre Dame
7-3 264 0 12
9/22
3412.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30North Carolina
7-2 233 0 25
+2
10/25
3462.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Arizona
6-3 118 0 NR
+8
24/NR
3495.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30Fresno State
8-1 113 0 NR
+3
24/NR

Texas drops 1 despite winning. 

On 11/1/2023 at 7:54 AM, JBJ said:

It the Dominant Team fallacy.

Having a dominant team doesn't make your conference good.  In fact, it usually means the opposite.  In good conferences, you can't really have a dominant team.  Someone eventually will play you hard and might even beat you.  Stop looking saying UO sucks because they lost to a really good UW, and start realizing that even UCLA and OrSt are really good this year and capable of exposing flaws in the big dogs.  That's what makes a conference good.

Your logic is too confounding for most SEC-chanting mouthbreathers and ESPN talking heads to understand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

RANK
TEAM

TREND
THIS WEEK

Bulldogs
Georgia(9-0)Southeastern
-
vs. Missouri W 30-21
Game Recap
1558 (49)

Wolverines
Michigan(9-0)Big Ten
-
vs. Purdue W 41-13
Game Recap
1485 (9)

Buckeyes
Ohio State(9-0)Big Ten
-
@ Rutgers W 35-16
Game Recap
1453 (3)

Seminoles
Florida State(9-0)Atlantic Coast
-
@ Pittsburgh W 24-7
Game Recap
1411 (2)

Huskies
Washington(9-0)Pac-12
-
@ USC W 52-42
Game Recap
1333 (0)

Ducks
Oregon(8-1)Pac-12
-
vs. California W 63-19
Game Recap
1240 (0)

Longhorns
Texas(8-1)Big 12
-
vs. Kansas State W 33-30
Game Recap
1190 (0)

Crimson Tide
Alabama(8-1)Southeastern
-
vs. LSU W 42-28
Game Recap
1143 (0)

Nittany Lions
Penn State(8-1)Big Ten
-
@ Maryland W 51-15
Game Recap
1075 (0)

Rebels
Ole Miss(8-1)Southeastern
vs. Texas A&M W 38-35
Game Recap
1027 (0)

Louisville.png
Louisville(8-1)Atlantic Coast
vs. Virginia Tech W 34-3
Game Recap
926 (0)

Beavers
Oregon State(7-2)Pac-12
@ Arizona L 24-27
Game Recap
772 (0)

Utes
Utah(7-2)Pac-12
vs. Arizona State W 55-3
Game Recap
734 (0)

Volunteers
Tennessee(7-2)Southeastern
vs. UConn W 59-3
Game Recap
703 (0)

Cowboys
Oklahoma State(7-2)Big 12
-
vs. Oklahoma W 27-24
Game Recap
660 (0)

8 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If we both win out, they will absolutely pass us

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they jump us in CFP selection this week, but it really doesn't matter.  If they win out, Bama almost certainly goes in over a 1 loss Texas.  Recency bias and SEC bias will trump the head to head.  And to be fair. Alabama/Milroe has shown a lot of improvement while Texas is struggling with injuries all over the field.  The best possible win Texas can have going forward would be CCG (best case against a ~15th ranked 2 loss team and it could be even worse depending on how things play out).   There are certainly scenarios where the SEC champ doesn't get a spot, but I think it's much more likely that ACC or PAC have a slip (or even B1G).  

11 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Not anymore. We needed them as the representative from the West. They have locked that up now. Now we need them to take an L and then beat Georgia. SEC would then be out. 

I hope they fucking lose out. Fuck all this pussy ass “we need so and so to win.”

its pathetic. Win out and let the chips fall where they may. If we dont make the playoff, i really dont care because this team doesnt deserve the playoff, losing to that shit team/coaching staff in the cotton bowl

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

There is so much stupid in here at all times. Who the fuck cares if Bama jumps us?  They either lose to Georgia and that takes care of itself or they beat Georgia and Georgia falls below us. 
There’s probably like a less than 5% chance a 1 loss texas gets left in the cold, and if it happens you just shrug your shoulders and say that sort of sucked. 
if you want to be sensible about it root for USC or Oregon state or Utah or Washington state to win against Oregon/Washington or root for Florida, Miami or Louisville to get Florida state. 
if you want to get really difficult I guess you could root for a 1 loss Michigan to win the big 10, with their scandal no way they’d go over a 1 loss texas. Wonder what the tie breaks are over there in the big 10?  I also think a 1 loss Penn state champ has no chance of going over a 1 loss texas champ, but Ohio state with a loss might be considered to have a slightly better resume than us with their win at Domers. 
you also have the big 10 championship game where Iowa could spoil the party. 
there are like 10 things that would have to happen for us to get left out if we win out. 10 team moneyline parleys almost never hit y’all. 

• Like 2

There’s probably like a less than 5% chance a 1 loss texas gets left in the cold, and if it happens you just shrug your shoulders and say that sort of sucked. 

I remember that time in 2008 when a 1-loss Texas got left out while a team we beat played in the NC game, and how we all were super chill about it and just shrugged our shoulders and said “that sort of sucked.”
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, blutow said:

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they jump us in CFP selection this week, but it really doesn't matter.  If they win out, Bama almost certainly goes in over a 1 loss Texas.  Recency bias and SEC bias will trump the head to head.  And to be fair. Alabama/Milroe has shown a lot of improvement while Texas is struggling with injuries all over the field.  The best possible win Texas can have going forward would be CCG (best case against a ~15th ranked 2 loss team and it could be even worse depending on how things play out).   There are certainly scenarios where the SEC champ doesn't get a spot, but I think it's much more likely that ACC or PAC have a slip (or even B1G).  

Well this is wrong seeing as our likely opponent is already at 15 and will likely win 3 more to get to the CCG.

• Hook 'Em 1