Now that the right to farm and ranch is protected in the Texas Constitution, I'll be opening a pig farm on my 10 acres.

High Plains Drifter

The way I see it, this protects the right to practice agriculture in traditional ways, and the state can’t do anything about it.

Of course, when texas was a republic and became a state, the key way of practicing agriculture was via slave labor.

I’m just reading the tea leaves, fellas.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Did they go back to original Republic of Texas farming laws, or just that weak Reconstruction shit?

Biblical.

1. You shall not farm with two kinds of seeds, or Dan Patrick will defile your farm.
  2. You shall not plow with an ox and a donkey together or Ken Paxton will appear in your field.
  3. When farming, you shall not wear farm clothes manufactured from materials that are made of wool and linen mixed together or Greg Abbott will appear at your doorstep.
Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

FWIW:

...If approved by voters, municipalities would be required to provide “clear and convincing evidence” that regulation is needed to protect the public from danger.

The amendment would not affect the authority of state agencies to step in when regulation is needed to protect the public health and safety from imminent danger and to prevent danger to animal health or crop production. State authorities would also retain the authority to preserve or conserve the natural resources of the state.
Russell Boening, president of Texas Farm Bureau who also farms on his ranch near San Antonio, said it’s needed as more farmland has been annexed into some cities in Texas and the farmers subsequently faced ordinance issues.

For example, Boening said a city ordinance would say grass can’t be taller than 12 inches. But a towering hay crop would easily exceed that rule, as they grow several feet taller.

“It’s those kinds of things that really don’t have anything to do with public health or public safety that farmers were facing,” Boening said.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/03/proposition-1-constitutional-amendment-farming/

• Hook 'Em 1

What a glorious day. My dream has always been to raise a herd/dazzle of rape zebras on my humble .5 acres in Cedar Park. Yes they make a lot of noise and they are shit machines and they rape every other Amazon delivery person that enters the property. But that is MY RIGHT as a Texan. 

Black And White Wildlife GIF by Born Free Foundation

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Supporting bee colonies is a part of the liberal conspiracy theory to limit our rights via “climate change” nonsense. Therefore bees are codified exception to your rights. No bees, because FREEDOM!!

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

What a glorious day. My dream has always been to raise a herd/dazzle of rape zebras on my humble .5 acres in Cedar Park. Yes they make a lot of noise and they are shit machines and they rape every other Amazon delivery person that enters the property. But that is MY RIGHT as a Texan. 

Black And White Wildlife GIF by Born Free Foundation

Those zebras do look randy but it appears consensual.

6 minutes ago, troph said:

Supporting bee colonies is a part of the liberal conspiracy theory to limit our rights via “climate change” nonsense. Therefore bees are codified exception to your rights. No bees, because FREEDOM!!

Bees are cloned feminist monarchical commie fascists  that want to keep their honey to themselves and not let us have any.

You're damn right we are changing the climate to cause hive collapse.

Try keeping all your honey in hell, bitches.

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Does this mean I can put a chicken coup on my lot aka fuck the HOA? Cause I also like omelettes. 

This is actually a really good question.  A lot of dumbasses really love their HOAs, but it'd be hilarious if this blew that wide open and allowed people to circumvent the HOAs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is actually a really good question.  A lot of dumbasses really love their HOAs, but it'd be hilarious if this blew that wide open and allowed people to circumvent the HOAs.

I'm thinking the ag exemption on my lot value is where the real grift is to be found.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Then consider my eldest Che Guevara of the hives. 

COME AND TAKE THIS STICKY SUGAR GOOP, BITCHES!  FAFO

IMG_5742.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

From DMN:
“This proposition could affect everything from backyard chickens to 1,000-acre farms, but its impetus is increasingly restrictive codes in homeowners association-heavy suburban neighborhoods near agriculture producers. Even opponents of this proposition admit that local zoning laws have been “weaponized” with outrageous requirements like installing shields so neighbors can’t see cattle mating. Within reason, landowners should be free to do what they want with their land. This proposition would not affect ordinances needed to conserve natural resources or protect animal health.”
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TexPx said:

From DMN:
“This proposition could affect everything from backyard chickens to 1,000-acre farms, but its impetus is increasingly restrictive codes in homeowners association-heavy suburban neighborhoods near agriculture producers. Even opponents of this proposition admit that local zoning laws have been “weaponized” with outrageous requirements like installing shields so neighbors can’t see cattle mating. Within reason, landowners should be free to do what they want with their land. This proposition would not affect ordinances needed to conserve natural resources or protect animal health.”

Happy Chris Hemsworth GIF by Marvel Studios

Because you know everybody in those HOAs probably voted for this, not realizing what could happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Then consider my eldest Che Guevara of the hives. 

COME AND TAKE THIS STICKY SUGAR GOOP, BITCHES!  FAFO

IMG_5742.jpeg

You didn't go to Harvard, poseur.

The Harvard Crimson

My POA allows chickens, horses, goats, and such, but specifically disallows hogs, for obvious reasons. So I walk my dogs and see 10 or 20 acre lots with 20 horses standing in the middle of a dust bowl, because 20 horses on 20 acres is just too many herbivores on too little grass.

I wouldn't really care except then I get dust clouds completely covering my house on windy days.

I also see sprinklers going constantly trying to grow lawns or watering apple orchards in the middle of the fucking desert. Every sprinkler is another straw in the underground milkshake we all get our drinking water from. I've lived there 17 years, and two years ago I had to drill my water well 200 ft deeper because it was going dry.

Idiots. Retired idiots with too much money who want to grow apples and raise horses in the desert instead of just volunteering for Meals on Wheels or Habitat for Humanity.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, High Plains Drifter said:

she looks to be roughly the same age as my daughter, who freaks the fuck out whenever something flying gets near. So, pos rep.

She is all about the creepy crawlies and any other animal really.  Here she is with a tarantula we found under a splash rock by our back porch.  She named him Terry and then released him into a wooded area by the local park.

IMG-1185.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

The Ag exemption in Texas is probably the single most abused tax break, because is helps rich folks not have to pay property taxes on their rural largesse.

Of course the city folks have to pay extra school taxes to have them sent to the same areas the millionaires don't pay their fair share.  You honestly can't blame millionaires for buying a couple pregnant cows to save $80,000 in taxes.  It's a great deal!  

If you make more than 10% of your income off agriculture I have no problem with any Ag exemption.  But when you are making a long term real estate play and simply avoiding paying property taxes for 20 years?  That's bullshit. But hey, it's Texas, and kids are only important when inside the vaginal cavity!

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

8 hours ago, horn4life said:

The Ag exemption in Texas is probably the single most abused tax break, because is helps rich folks not have to pay property taxes on their rural largesse.

Of course the city folks have to pay extra school taxes to have them sent to the same areas the millionaires don't pay their fair share.  You honestly can't blame millionaires for buying a couple pregnant cows to save $80,000 in taxes.  It's a great deal!  

If you make more than 10% of your income off agriculture I have no problem with any Ag exemption.  But when you are making a long term real estate play and simply avoiding paying property taxes for 20 years?  That's bullshit. But hey, it's Texas, and kids are only important when inside the vaginal cavity!

on the east side of katy, after the 2008 crash there was a future big box strip mall tract where the ground work had all been done (streets, underground utils, etc) but no parking lots, pads, or buildings had gone up.  they put some barb wire up and ran cattle on that tract for a few years until the market improved.  now it's a golf store and a bunch of other retail bullshit.

there was a lot on the north side of I45 just SE of downtown houston with a trailer building and some horses on it for a bit. 

so easily abused.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, horn4life said:

It should be set up like income tax brackets:

10% income from ag = 10% of the ag exemption

50% income from ag = 50% of the ag exemption

etc.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3