Week 10, 2023: Texas at Iowa State

Wulaw Horn

Savion Red will likely get a few plays at RB against cyclones this Saturday since he might be the most physical RB left that breaks tackles.
I just hope all our RBs protect the ball this game because the cyclones are one of the better teams at creating turnovers in the B12.  It's a big reason why they have over achieved in B12 league play.  
This will be our first game in the cold. Yes, I know the temps won't be what the clones consider cold, but trust me it will be.

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I hate negging football opinions, but this is just so stupid. He may or may not get better, but implying that a true freshman “is who he is” is a burnt orange nation comments section level bad take.

I'm not saying he won't get better or that he's a bust, I'm just saying he isn't going to become a guy that makes people miss.  He just doesn't have the hips for it.

Anyways, this isn't really the thread for this so I'll stop belaboring the point.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I expect that the couple of calls we got on Worthy at TCU will be good for Rig 12 for the next 2 games.  Similar to the "defensive holding" we got in a game after the OSU shenanigans.  File this under the "see we call it both ways" Rig 12 special.

Flags will be back in the pocket for us certainly for this game and likely Tech as well if they need it.  ISU is also one of the lowest teams for opponents penalties against along with us but I expect we will have double digits and ISU will have about 3 or 4(our opp norm).

There is a legitimate possibility that Yormark is intelligent enough to realize that the only shot the conference has in terms of getting some of that sweet, sweet CFP largesse is if Texas wins out. I actually think that's why the officiating seemed closer to decent against TCU. It's $6M to the conference, I believe, should a team make the CFP. Is that enough to matter? I don't know. It's enough to give pause, however. 

I realize the unfunny consensus on this board is that Yormark is a thoughtless imbecile and that Texas will always be fucked with Big 12 officiating. Those posts can be spared. We all get it. Just throwing out the possibility that a rational human being might look at circumstances as they're presenting themselves and say "maybe we should just focus our 'fuck yous' for OU since Texas has a chance to make all of us some money?"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ousux said:
19 hours ago, Atticus said:
To be fair, teams have had success in the red zone against them with the wildcat/designed QB runs

Early on, yes. Opposing DC's have figured it and it hasn't worked the last two tries.

I've watched a few of their games. Gabriel (OU) scored with a designed QB run in the redzone, Neal (KU) also got a TD off a wildcat play in the redzone.

I'm talking about ISU's ability to stop the concept, not our ability to run the shit we do with Red. 

I still believe we would be better off spreading people out and running if the opportunity is there. The heavy shit isn't working.

• Hook 'Em 4

Savion's package should be more of a true zone read rpo kind of thing. It's kind of one of those things that Sark exhibits his stubbornness that will drive surly off a cliff one day. I hope to see him improve, as I'm an eternal optimist...
The last time it was used Red was supposed to pass according to Sark. Of course mishandling the ball kinda killed everything on that one.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There is a legitimate possibility that Yormark is intelligent enough to realize that the only shot the conference has in terms of getting some of that sweet, sweet CFP largesse is if Texas wins out. I actually think that's why the officiating seemed closer to decent against TCU. It's $6M to the conference, I believe, should a team make the CFP. Is that enough to matter? I don't know. It's enough to give pause, however. 

I realize the unfunny consensus on this board is that Yormark is a thoughtless imbecile and that Texas will always be fucked with Big 12 officiating. Those posts can be spared. We all get it. Just throwing out the possibility that a rational human being might look at circumstances as they're presenting themselves and say "maybe we should just focus our 'fuck yous' for OU since Texas has a chance to make all of us some money?"

Sure it is possible.  to be honest, my belief is that the disparity we have seen over many years, number of penalties, driver killers at opportune times, absolute avoidance of holding/DPI, Strong/OSU debacle, etc. is more of a function of the small town ref/anti Texas syndrome + just abject incompetence than a big conspiracy from higher ups.  I mean, I saw the Teaff game real time... Rig 12 just fits so I use it.  Walt Anderson was a fucking inept tool as well.

I think Sark's pointing a few things out helped against TCU.    Yormark's situation is of his own making due to the earlier comment at Tech.  he drew the target.  

not sure the total payout difference between Texas making CFP and just making high end bowl.  Anyway it will all be over this year and I'll enjoy OU getting ref jobbed again if it happens.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yormark seems more competent and forward-looking to me than anyone who’s run this show since we joined. If he’d been in charge the whole time we might not be leaving. That said, fuck him for his Tceh booster club bullshit…

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, jw4381 said:
Savion's package should be more of a true zone read rpo kind of thing. It's kind of one of those things that Sark exhibits his stubbornness that will drive surly off a cliff one day. I hope to see him improve, as I'm an eternal optimist...

The last time it was used Red was supposed to pass according to Sark. Of course mishandling the ball kinda killed everything on that one.

Yeah for all the bitching among the KICK THE FG SARK crowd, that was a brilliant play call. If Red doesn’t drop the ball JTS easily gets the first and very well might have scored…

43 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Yormark seems more competent and forward-looking to me than anyone who’s run this show since we joined. If he’d been in charge the whole time we might not be leaving. That said, fuck him for his Tceh booster club bullshit…

I mean that is the lowest bar in history to clear. Between Beebe & Bowlsby it is damn near impossible to be worse...

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Jordan Whittington should be used as a rb in this game.
Not necessary. We have Baxter, Blue, Robinson, Red, Wisner and whoever that walkon was that Maalik found for some yards in the spring game and I'm sure I'm missing another. If that group can't get it done then we have much bigger problems.
  • Like 1

So twisters used to be called cyclones and the Iowa State mascot is the cardinal because Iowans picked cyclones, again now called twisters whereas cyclones refer to tropical storms (not typically a problem in the Midwest), but they couldn't figure out how to depict tornadoes (née cyclones) and the cardinal was red like the school colors, so ... herr derr close enough.

Tldr;

Iowa State is dumb and fucking sucks and is getting destroyed tonight.

Edited by gofuckyourself