Game Week 13, 2023: Texas v OSU championship edition

Wulaw Horn

4 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Ol Mikey thinks he has Sark's play calling all figured out.
I bet he is going to gamble on trying to predict run or pass and will get burned.
His defense still has to stop whatever play is called.
He's talking a lot of shit for a short man.
He's about to fuck around and find out.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/oklahoma-state-cowboys-coach-mike-gundy-predicts-texas-longhorns-steve-sarkisian-stay-in-his-box-big-12-championship

"(Coach Sarkisian) wants to run the football, he's always wanted to run the football," Gundy said. "He's going to max protect. He's going to throw the ball down the field eight to 10 times a game. He's going to max protect and run those guys down the field and try to throw the ball over your head and get big plays. He's going to run his zone play, he's going to run his counter and he's going to stay in his box. That's what he does. He's going to use his tight ends, he's going to move them. He's going to block down. He's going to drag them across the field. That's what he does and he pretty much stays in his box.”

What a prick. 

11 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I was mostly joking. That 3rd quarter number surprises me a bit. Curious what it looks like if you take out Tech (24-0 in 3rd). Allowing nearly twice as many points in the 4th as the 1st definitely tracks with how I've felt about our defense.  

A figured you were mostly joking, but it’s one of those memes that Texas fans love to believe. 4Q probably has garbage points in it also. Though TCU and KSU are probably the main culprit for the 4Q numbers. Early in the year Texas was much better in the 2nd half. 

94 pts is the 3Q over 12 games, 70 over 11 taking out the 24 (6.4) 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saturday, 12 p.m. ET (ABC)

Who is your best Xavier Worthy comp?

Many will point to DeSean Jackson, who made explosive downfield plays at under 170 pounds, but I think a more recent comparison for the Longhorns receiver is Tank Dell of the Texans. Worthy, who struggled with drops in 2022 (10), has improved his all-around game this season to the tune of 67 catches and 883 yards while Texas spreads the ball around more. Like Dell, Worthy is undersized at 172 pounds on a 6-foot-1 frame, but his start-stop quickness and sheer burst with the ball in his hands is jaw-dropping. Worthy will get picked much earlier than fifth-rounder Dell, though; he's a top-32 guy on my board. -- Miller

Key draft prospect to watch: Both Texas defensive tackles

I actually have two for this matchup, and it's the Longhorns' dynamic duo inside with T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy II. That pairing will be put to the test against Cowboys running back Ollie Gordon II, who leads the nation in rushing yards (1,580) and is second in rushing scores (20).

These two Texas defenders couldn't be any different, though. Sweat is a massive presence in the middle at 6-foot-4 and 360 pounds. He's surprisingly nimble for his size and has managed 15 run stops in a breakout 2023 season. Murphy, meanwhile, is an explosive 308-pound 3-technique who is a constant first-level penetrator. He has 11 pressures over his past three games and five sacks on the season. Both project as top-60 picks but are continuing to climb up draft boards. -- Reid

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39004924/conference-championships-nfl-draft-top-prospects-sec-big-ten-acc-pac-12-big-12#big12

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

I bet he is going to gamble on trying to predict run or pass and will get burned.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/oklahoma-state-cowboys-coach-mike-gundy-predicts-texas-longhorns-steve-sarkisian-stay-in-his-box-big-12-championship

"(Coach Sarkisian) wants to run the football, he's always wanted to run the football," Gundy said. "He's going to max protect. He's going to throw the ball down the field eight to 10 times a game. He's going to max protect and run those guys down the field and try to throw the ball over your head and get big plays. He's going to run his zone play, he's going to run his counter and he's going to stay in his box. That's what he does. He's going to use his tight ends, he's going to move them. He's going to block down. He's going to drag them across the field. That's what he does and he pretty much stays in his box.”

FUCK AROUND AND FIND OUT Gundy!  You’re not 40 anymore, Sark is the newer generation and he’s gonna roast your ass!

No Mar or Alvarez?
B12 Brett put out the word to avoid the bullshit - we are the main draw at 11am on Saturday, Texas in the CFP with a win and FSU loss.  He don't want the heat with Mar or Alvarez fucking us over for 4 hours.

I was told the Big 12 would absolutely risk costing itself millions in CFP revenue to fuck Texas tho

This is not the slight people want to read it as but I’m surprised Gundy would put that out there regardless.

False. He has made a complete clown of himself over his hatred for Texas. He won't be walking that back for money or anything else. He is the embodiment of the petty bitches that make up this conference.
Do they attempt to rig the game? We shall see.

No, they don’t, because it would be extremely obvious and cause credibility issues for the conference and its teams going forward. Texas shouldn’t expect much in terms of judgment calls but it won’t go beyond that.

36 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is not the slight people want to read it as but I’m surprised Gundy would put that out there regardless.

No, they don’t, because it would be extremely obvious and cause credibility issues for the conference and its teams going forward. Texas shouldn’t expect much in terms of judgment calls but it won’t go beyond that.

The conference has had credibility issues since Dan Beebe, at least. 

11 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I hate giving that douche views but he has become such the aggy fan of late I wanted to taste the tears and he delivered.

giphy.gif

Uh what, Pate has said positive things about us all year. That video is like the opposite of tears. It's a victory lap that he predicted us 11-1 facing OSU in the CCG.

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I thought the OSU posters said Gundy had become like Buddha and only did coach speak.

Because damn. He is shitting all over us. I mean good for you Gundy, you beat our ass over and over.

Hope we beat his ass.

Anybody that has taken offense at anything Gundy has said this weak is soft. I'll excuse the players because you do what you can for motivation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Anybody that has taken offense at anything Gundy has said this weak is soft. I'll excuse the players because you do what you can for motivation.

Weak is soft? Well maybe YOUR soft is weak!

Anyway I just know Gundy has a picture of Bevo in his office that he laughs at every day saying things like '9-4' and '41-34'. HE IS MOCKING US!!! MOCKING! DAMN HIM AND HIS SUPERNATURAL LONGHORN DOMINATING SKILLS!

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

We’re 15 point dogs for a reason. Hoping for the best.

It's a Gundy trick I tell ya!

Edited by Valmy77
  • Haha 2

Interesting article about how the LSU-Alabama BCS championship rematch in 2011 pissed off a lot of people and started the push for the CFP.

Who got fucked by this all-SEC BCS Championship rematch? Gundy.

His 2011 team was undefeated with 2 games left. He lost to a 6-7 Iowa State team led by OC Tom Herman before beating OU in Bedlam to finish the season.

Gundy’s 11-1 team won the Big 12 but finished #3 in the BCS standings behind #2 non-champion Alabama who had already lost to LSU. People lost their minds as Bama jumped Gundy’s team to rematch LSU in the title game.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2016/11/18/13487466/oklahoma-state-iowa-state-2011-bcs-college-football-playoff-jeff-woody

• Hook 'Em 2

The big thing with Oklahoma State is they love to run up the gut right behind Michalski at center. I don't think he looked right at the end of the game at all against BYU. Looked like he was playing with 1 arm. 

Has there been any update on his injury status?

Regardless, Sweat and Murphy really need to be disruptive because it looks like Michalski is playing at about 50% right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2023 at 8:51 PM, Bullneck said:

Brian Bosworth plays the Sheriff of Fansville in the Doctor Pepper commercials.  He was/is also a real estate agent in Malibu, CA.  

In the next episode of Stuff Bullneck Remembers we'll discuss the movie classic Stone Cold:

As a lifelong Texas fan it pains me to admit this but Stone Cold is a guilty pleasure despite the skunk mulleted sooner. Riff Trax has a funny episode of this movie and it’s awesome. Fight me. 

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

The 2001 game was for sure at night because we drove back from Dallas that night and got home late as fuck.

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Drunkest I have ever seen our fan base.  Average BAC was probably >.25

Worst game ever. (Rage) I still have the program from that game because it was welded to my hand while sitting in my seat contemplating how we could’ve fucked that game and our trip to the Rose Bowl to play Miami. Motherfuck that game. 🤘🏼🤬

7 hours ago, Darth Tron said:

I remember watching the start of the game on the TV at home.  Deep pass to Sloan Thomas on the first possession.  Punched it in.  Asskicking initiated. 

Then I hopped in the car to drive about an hour and half or so to a party where there would be drugs and sluts.  I was so pumped. 

Ran into the house to check on the assbeating status.  Became immediately sad.  Ingested drugs, didn't bang a slut.

Worst night ever.

See above. Never heard as small of an opposing crowd as loud as Colorado fans were that day. 

2 hours ago, Droopy said:

As a lifelong Texas fan it pains me to admit this but Stone Cold is a guilty pleasure despite the skunk mulleted sooner. Riff Trax has a funny episode of this movie and it’s awesome. Fight me. 

Worst game ever. (Rage) I still have the program from that game because it was welded to my hand while sitting in my seat contemplating how we could’ve fucked that game and our trip to the Rose Bowl to play Miami. Motherfuck that game. 🤘🏼🤬

See above. Never heard as small of an opposing crowd as loud as Colorado fans were that day. 

I have tried to cope by telling myself that Pre-VY Mack would have just had us wound up tight and we would have had a 91 cotton bowl situation...to this day I have an aversion to going for punt blocks because of that damn game. 

Edited by LateAughtsHorn

OMG. I just listed to OSU reporter, Jenni Carlson, interview Kirk Bowels and Cedric Golden about the game on her podcast. (God knows why)

Up until this year's Texas/OU weekend, Bowels and Golden claim they had never HEARD of Ollie Gordon! Ollie Gordon and his Euless Trinity team played at Westlake in Austin two years ago and was spectacular. How did they miss that? He had incredible HS games, once running for 450 yards vs Allen in the playoffs. Many people here have been lamenting the fact that we wanted him to come to Texas and they had never hear of him until this season?

In another significant lowlight, Bowels apparently couldn't remember the Doak Walker award and mentioned that Gordon should win (and I quote verbatim) the "Running Back Heisman."   

Ladies and gentleman, let's give a hand to your Austin American Statesman reporters. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

OMG. I just listed to OSU reporter, Jenni Carlson, interview Kirk Bowels and Cedric Golden about the game on her podcast. (God knows why)

Up until this year's Texas/OU weekend, Bowels and Golden claim they had never HEARD of Ollie Gordon! Ollie Gordon and his Euless Trinity team played at Westlake in Austin two years ago and was spectacular. How did they miss that? He had incredible HS games, once running for 450 yards vs Allen in the playoffs. Many people here have been lamenting the fact that we wanted him to come to Texas and they had never hear of him until this season?

In another significant lowlight, Bowels apparently couldn't remember the Doak Walker award and mentioned that Gordon should win (and I quote verbatim) the "Running Back Heisman."   

Ladies and gentleman, let's give a hand to your Austin American Statesman reporters. 

Kurt Bowels is not our standard

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I have no evidence of this but it feels like we're running a lot more 21 personnel without Brooks. Which is interesting. It gave Tech a ton of issues. Watch them all bite on CJ Baxter here which is really what opened up this big run. 

Babers has broken it down and apparently 21 package is our best package for explosive plays/consistent gains. I think he says we get the most yards per play from that 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thinking about this more but I love the fact we are playing Oklahoma State in the Big 12 title game. They are the last team we haven't beat of the original members of the conference. It's going to be a nice feeling beating all 6 remaining original members on the way out. 

Is Mizzou the only other team we don’t have regular season Big 12 scoreboard on besides ok state? We beat them in that bowl game but we lost our last Big 12 meeting with them in 2011 (not including OU since we are departing together) 

KU, ISU, Tech, Baylor, KSU this year

Aggy 2012

Nebraska 2010

Colorado 2009

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Is Mizzou the only other team we don’t have regular season Big 12 scoreboard on besides ok state? We beat them in that bowl game but we lost our last Big 12 meeting with them in 2011

KU, ISU, Tech, Baylor, KSU this year

Aggy 2012

Nebraska 2010

Colorado 2009

I believe so but their time is coming! lol

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

I have tried to cope by telling myself that Pre-VY Mack would have just had us wound up tight and we would have had a 91 cotton bowl situation...to this day I have an aversion to going for punt blocks because of that damn game. 

No one was beating that Miami team.

• Prepare your anus 1

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I have no evidence of this but it feels like we're running a lot more 21 personnel without Brooks. Which is interesting. It gave Tech a ton of issues. Watch them all bite on CJ Baxter here which is really what opened up this big run. 

This and the KRob were untouched TDs, beautiful offense. Babers has talked about that recently.. Texas didnt run much early in the season and have slowly increased it. Theory being the RBs werent ready.. He thought they would scrap it after Brooks went down, but that has not been the case. Based on his research it is the most productive formation for Texas under the Sark regime. There is an argument that you could see that as a staple of the offense next year. Baxter and Blue are a good pair for that. Its a nice speed/power pairing.. .

You can skip to the 31 minute mark to hear the discussion on the 21 set 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

What a prick. 

Really didn’t see anything out of line with the quotes in that SI article. They asked him what he thought and he answered, definitely no outright disparaging comments or taunts or whatever. Pokes have been all about the 7 of the last 10 this week, but those teams seem like they were forever ago. We had a very sub-par season last year, and have been full on Jeckyll and Hyde this one. My head says if we play our A game from the jump we may actually pull this off, but my expectations are extremely low… Extremely.

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Didn't realize Blue was that fast, and that run looked fast as shit live.  With or without Brooks, we've got a great RB room set up for us next season.

15 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Really didn’t see anything out of line with the quotes in that SI article. They asked him what he thought and he answered, definitely no outright disparaging comments or taunts or whatever. Pokes have been all about the 7 of the last 10 this week, but those teams seem like they were forever ago. We had a very sub-par season last year, and have been full on Jeckyll and Hyde this one. My head says if we play our A game from the jump we may actually pull this off, but my expectations are extremely low… Extremely.

Gundy is history's greatest monster, imo.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Came here to post the Babers 21 personnel comments, see that it’s already been posted. Blue can fly and has lots of wiggle, just not a beast between the tackles. How is he catching balls out of the backfield? Maybe we see that Saturday. Wheel, screen, toss back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Am I the only one reading Gundy's comments as pretty innocuous?

They were, that’s how he starts every Monday press conference, high level discussion of what he thinks the opponent does well. Someone tried to prod him into “do you feel pressure carrying the Big 12 flag against secsecsec” his answer was “no” and that was all. If he wanted to talk shit and give bulletin board material that would have been the time.

Eternal scoreboard doesn’t really mean much to me when it comes to Texas. I said last week the UT people I know IRL are cool, no beef, it’s the ou people I wanted scoreboard on because the ones around me are 80% pricks. I take more pride having played for the title 2 out of 3 years and keeping ou out even if we lose tomorrow which is obviously the most likely scenario. Bring on the giant Pop Tart!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Came here to post the Babers 21 personnel comments, see that it’s already been posted. Blue can fly and has lots of wiggle, just not a beast between the tackles. How is he catching balls out of the backfield? Maybe we see that Saturday. Wheel, screen, toss back. 

That was supposedly his best asset as a recruit. Speed and pass catching were his calling cards

Edited by Codaxx

12 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I feel like you can see him start to improve between the tackles....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Nah. People are reaching for bulletin board material after it worked so well the last couple weeks.

Being shut out of some Big 12 conference awards is all the bulletin board material these guys need I think. Sark mentioning it in a press conference helps stir that fire too. 

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Pretty sure he put away ISU on a between the tackles run when Baxter had failed twice before him.

Blue has been better at squeezing through traffic than Baxter. Though Baxter definitely has moments where you see what he could be with a little work. I think my primary concern with Blue between the tackles is that he'll get beat down over the course of a game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I can usually make myself worry about any opponent by Friday morning.  I was worried about Baylor and Kansas this year.

If we cannot beat Okie State, who is basically a 6-6 team masked by some good coaching in close games, then we just are never going to win any kind of trophy with Sark.  This game should be Texas by 21 given the matchups.  Just play press man and turn over their shitty QB.

I also don't think Gordon is 100 percent.  He limps around a lot.  He is not as explosive as he was when he was racking up 250+ yard game.  His backup is a JAG.  I think Gordon was overused the last 8 games and they are paying for it.  He is a stud.  But 30 to 35 touches a game adds up. He really has not looked the same since OU game.  And his YPC shows that -- last 4 games -- 4.2, 2.1, 6.6, and 4.9.  And that was against OU, UCF, UH, and BYU -- not exactly murderer's row.

The 5 games before that he was 10.8, 9.7, 5.5, 6.5, 6.8 -- that was against better defenses in ISU, KSU, KU, WVU, and Cinci

• Pancho locked this topic