Greg Orders Texas National Guard To Seize Park in Eagle Pass, Bars Border Patrol/CBP

atomheartbevo

32 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That's exactly what the simulation told us you would say to prove you are not part of the simulation.  

I mean, l don't know anything about how to run a website, but I just kind of assumed it ran on toxicity.  

"TOXICITY:  It's got what Surlys crave!"  No?  

The plurality of the site doesn't like CR because they are unable to just post "Trump is the greatest President ever.  Abbott is the greatest Governor ever.  Biden has killed our country!"  And then not show their work and be hoisted.  And they get that in real life but not on here because there's too many smart, educated people on here.  I get it.  So either let's cut the forum out, make it some kinda extra-secret/monetized board, or everybody just shut the fuck up about it.  It hummed along just fine under Obama with robust discourse on all sides with proper data, even kinda under the first year or two of Trump.  But it's gone off the rails, we can all see it objectively.  Fine.  We're adults.  People need the feedback loop/echo chamber/etc.  It's human nature.  But just the incessant pouting on all other forums about the toxicity of CR is as exhaustive as one of my insomnia-laden long-form posts.  Every fucking thread on every other forum has somebody bitching and moaning about how the CR is too narrow and unfair.  Create a forum called "Snowflakes" for "real people on the other side of that handle" and let them just high-five baselessly about their heroes.  Lord knows the world needs 'em now more than ever.  Otherwise, we're just gonna be the Karen of UT boards.  

That's called Facebook

2 hours ago, immamac said:

You guys are being outrageous. Stop. This is why people think CR is toxic. You are being toxic to me by simply telling you to leave it and move on, I read the last 3 pages and it consisted of mainly a dogpile on a single poster. Cut it the fuck out. 

Do you see the double standard at work here? The same actions in Football would get you crowd sourced. No one would bat an eye. 

If it's the name calling that has you upset what exactly do you think happens on nearly every other board here? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Correct. Diluted it’s a bit more tolerable and easier to wade through. Some people read this thread to follow the situation not to see someone ripped to shreds and crucified. 

Was the poster ripped to shreds?  Or their opinions?  Were there multiple posters saying "YOU SUCK AS A HUMAN; PLEASE GO DIE" or were there multiple posters saying, "YOUR UNINFORMED OPINIONS ARE HORSE SHIT AND HERE IS WHY"?  Are both of those equally bad in your eyes?  I'm legitimately curious.  I read through the thread and agree that the back and forth turned silly and not at all interesting, but nothing registered to me as a personal attack.  But maybe there was and I missed it?  I am too lazy to go sift through the horse shit again to find out for sure.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Goddamnit.

Really hard to justify voting for him if he's doing shit like this.

He's def not getting any donations.  But voting for him? Nah, voting against Ted.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, immamac said:

You guys are being outrageous. Stop. This is why people think CR is toxic. You are being toxic to me by simply telling you to leave it and move on, I read the last 3 pages and it consisted of mainly a dogpile on a single poster. Cut it the fuck out. 

Fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Buddy, tell me you don't remember the "[SERIOUS]" discourse wars without telling me you don't remember the "[SERIOUS]" discourse wars.

Damn those were stupid as fuck.  A [SERIOUS] thread would go to complete shit, but if you make a shit post you got nailed with a yellow card or something.

48 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Fuck that mother fucker.

10 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Hell, Biden is offering Republicans virtually their entire wish list on immigration reform (to the point that some Republicans are saying they'd be stupid not to make a deal because

Doesn't matter. It's all about appearances. 

Scary brown people poisoning the blood of our country. There's not going to be a deal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Yeah, Schumer is going to actually get something through the Senate and the House will kill it. 

The only "good" thing is that Johnson is a total pussy and seems to just go along with whoever he talks to last.  Put him in a room with Jeffries, Biden, Schumer and McConnell and he may fold. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, Schumer is going to actually get something through the Senate and the House will kill it. 

The only "good" thing is that Johnson is a total pussy and seems to just go along with whoever he talks to last.  Put him in a room with Jeffries, Biden, Schumer and McConnell and he may fold. 

Maybe add Fetterman to that list and make sure he understands to invade Johnson's personal space bubble while they're all talking.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

17 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Where is the outrage against the exploitation of the so-called common working men and women?

Hell, most of the country hates labor unions because that's what the radio told them to do. It's a long way from persuading the Texas Guard not to kill families in the Rio Grande to forgoing low prices on poultry to protect the workers who process it.

I know you know this. 

• Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

If the concern is "immigrants are a drain on our resources," then there are so many easy, low-hanging fruit options to address those matters that it ain't even funny.  E.g., process people on entry, get them in the system, and get them permits that allow them TO WORK, EARN MONEY, AND PAY TAXES.  The supposed "issues" on that front can easily be addressed.  Yet.....they aren't, and won't be.  Because it has never, ever, ever, ever been about actually solving any real or tangible "problem."

The reason we have a huge nativist anti-immigrant fervor in this country is NOT because immigrants necessarily come in and sap our resources (generations of experience on that front shows that just isn't true in any medium or long-term way).  Nope.  The reason we have that nativist anti-immigrant fervor is the reason that the "thought leaders" in the GQP and their captive media outlets HAVE FUCKING TOLD US IN PLAIN LANGUAGE: brown people "are poisoning the blood of our country," and are "replacing real Americans."  That's it.  Stop overthinking it.  Dig into archives and read newspapers about the yellow chinks and the dirty papist irishmen back in their day -- the EXACT same fucking rhetoric.  This generation of nativist xenophobes isn't even original in their thinking.  They're recycling shit that's 150 years old, and doing a "find and replace" function to sub in "spics" for "chinks."  That's it.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

The drain on resources is mostly a red herring for these people. If it wasn't, they would be mad at their elected officials for constantly voting against funding border security. They are not. 

There is a reason replacement theory and "poisoning the blood of our country" gets soo much play on "conservative" channels. It's standard populism/fascism rhetoric. They blame the non-whites for everything and people love hating anyone that isn't on their team.  

We all know that we need immigrants (or, if not immigrants, than a really high native birth rate that we don't have now) in order to maintain and grow the GDP which is what our economy is predicated upon.

What I think this, and the DACA thread, and other attempts at discussing immigration from a sociological, cultural anthropological and political point of view, is that the root cause for Texans is that it's unfair that Texas has to bear the brunt of the immigration.

What I'm reading and hearing is that Texas doesn't want the influx of brown immigrants, illegally for sure and probably not too many of the legal ones either, and that just because we are geographically abutting the brown countries the US response, to these people, seem to be "Too bad, just deal with it and you are a racist if you don't like it."

So then you get dumb ideas like, "hey let's charter a bus and send the immigrants to NYC and DC and see how they like it!", and, what do you know? They don't like it either, which seems to confirm and validate their feelings that it's not fair and that the bigger cities watching this and saying just grin and bear it are hypocrites.

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Hell, most of the country hates labor unions because that's what the radio told them to do. It's a long way from persuading the Texas Guard not to kill families in the Rio Grande to forgoing low prices on poultry to protect the workers who process it.

I know you know this. 

Man, I don't know. It's a long way from persuading the nation's police forces not to kill minorities to forgoing lower taxes to have resources that help urban families with addictions and mental illness.

I do actually know this. But I like to repeat it sometimes.

/s

• Hook 'Em 1

Wow imma, if getting facts thrown back in your face is "getting ripped to shreds" then you've gone soft lol. If someone comes in making a materially wrong claim and refuses to listen to anyone else or plain facts, they're gonna get shit on. If they keep on, or move the goalposts, they'll get shit on further. 

Do you want a board where whoever speaks first gets to claim what "is"? Is correcting materially incorrect statements "toxic"? It's always fascinating to see where this mod team draws the line

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, immamac said:

I know longhornlove IRL and you guys are really off base here over a differing opinion. Stop being part of outrage dogpile culture. Disagree and move on. 

Thanks but I will bow and and leave them to their little sandbox. There is no such thing as a differing opinion, not allowed here obviously. I would love to say more but these people need to put their pitchforks down, take a deep breath and leave their emotions out of it for once.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 6

3 hours ago, Hal Finney said:

Oh, so Cato is now legit source. Any other time Cato posts are shared here it's lol that's Cato. Disregard.

I also love how the first justification is we need fuel for the social security ponzi.

For all the people here who cry about big business, you sure do lap up the narrative they serve up that we (they) need more cheap labor.

I like how this fellow knows so much about us and carefully words his post to keep things civil.

So true that the first justification was that we need fuel for Social Security which, as is so non-toxically put, we all surely hate. He got us there in his gentile way.

Then there's the crying and lapping up of the ebil narrative (second in ebil only to agendas!) by we homogenized dupes that makes us toxic.

Be kind to this man. He is here in earnest. Let us keep our slime from fouling his shining being. 

No one say that he is a bomb-throwing prick whose brain is a regurgitation engine designed for rapid-fire drivel dispersement followed by flight. No person should dare call this cowardly.

For God's sake, don't call him a snowflake as he avoids real discourse and flees tossing idiocies over his shoulder.

This policy of tolerance is universal. How often to denizens of CR go over to DT and meet with real conversation of the day's issues? Surely daily. There are no gate keepers there!

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Thanks but I will bow and and leave them to their little sandbox. There is no such thing as a differing opinion, not allowed here obviously. I would love to say more but these people need to put their pitchforks down, take a deep breath and leave their emotions out of it for once.

Toxic

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

calm the big lebowski GIF

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I like how this fellow knows so much about us and carefully words his post to keep things civil.

So true that the first justification was that we need fuel for Social Security which, as is so non-toxically put, we all surely hate. He got us there in his gentile way.

Then there's the crying and lapping up of the ebil narrative (second in ebil only to agendas!) by we homogenized dupes that makes us toxic.

Be kind to this man. He is here in earnest. Let us keep our slime from fouling his shining being. 

No one say that he is a bomb-throwing prick whose brain is a regurgitation engine designed for rapid-fire drivel dispersement followed by flight. No person should dare call this cowardly.

For God's sake, don't call him a snowflake as he avoids real discourse and flees tossing idiocies over his shoulder.

This policy of tolerance is universal. How often to denizens of CR go over to DT and meet with real conversation of the day's issues? Surely daily. There are no gate keepers there!

Amber Rose GIF by BET Plus

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Porsha Williams Stop GIF by Dish Nation

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:If someone wants to come here and work and pay takes and raise a family like everyone else, let it happen. What is the possible downside?

Suppression in wages, work safety, and unionization.

And as you mentioned more Americans on disibility, unemployment, and social services.

Obviously there is a better balance.

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Doesn't matter. It's all about appearances. 

Scary brown people poisoning the blood of our country. There's not going to be a deal.

This country was literally founded on the idea of having people from parts unknown come together to form a new nation. It's what separates us from European nations which were, and still are to a large extent, relatively homogenous in their populations. The entire western part of this country was taken from Mexico. Yet, people complain about Mexicans living amongst us. I'll never understand when we lost sight of that part of our history. The Statue of Liberty describes the people we sought to attract, the tired, the poor, the wretched refuse, etc. Seinfeld's bit on that was poignant and funny. Our current climate is just infuriating. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

His campaign texts me at least twice a week asking for money. Next time I'm going to tell them I'm disappointed in Congressman Allred for joining with republicans to condemn the president, and I will not be donating to his campaign. 

• Hook 'Em 7

46 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I, for one, would love if you said more. It was just getting good.

• Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

49 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

image.jpeg.3dada2ccd5793154c524fea78d98a321.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

If the concern is "immigrants are a drain on our resources," then there are so many easy, low-hanging fruit options to address those matters that it ain't even funny.  E.g., process people on entry, get them in the system, and get them permits that allow them TO WORK, EARN MONEY, AND PAY TAXES.  The supposed "issues" on that front can easily be addressed.  Yet.....they aren't, and won't be.  Because it has never, ever, ever, ever been about actually solving any real or tangible "problem."

The reason we have a huge nativist anti-immigrant fervor in this country is NOT because immigrants necessarily come in and sap our resources (generations of experience on that front shows that just isn't true in any medium or long-term way).  Nope.  The reason we have that nativist anti-immigrant fervor is the reason that the "thought leaders" in the GQP and their captive media outlets HAVE FUCKING TOLD US IN PLAIN LANGUAGE: brown people "are poisoning the blood of our country," and are "replacing real Americans."  That's it.  Stop overthinking it.  Dig into archives and read newspapers about the yellow chinks and the dirty papist irishmen back in their day -- the EXACT same fucking rhetoric.  This generation of nativist xenophobes isn't even original in their thinking.  They're recycling shit that's 150 years old, and doing a "find and replace" function to sub in "spics" for "chinks."  That's it.

Here, here.  About a year and a half ago someone I knew came to me with a bunch of the "drain on the economy" stuff.  So I decided to research it.  There are many scholarly articles that have looked into the net economic effect of illegal immigration.  I tried to pull a cross-section to avoid the liberal university prof. egghead bias.  I read about a dozen.  They broke into three categories of conclusions:  1) negligible economic benefit, 2) no measurable effect, 3) negligible economic detriment.  Based on these studies, it appears that the idea of an illegal immigrant coming here using up hospital services, free public school, food stamps and all the rest of it while contributing nothing is the same myth as the welfare queen.  So, if it's not an economic reason, what would be the actual reason for being so against immigration?  Hmmmm....???

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

You're the only one in this thread that's been particularly emotional. And it has nothing to do with a difference of opinion, it has to do with you getting facts wrong (while accusing us of getting the facts wrong), refusing to back up your factual claims, then crying about how mean everyone is being to you when you're called out for refusing to back up your factual claims. That's bitchass behavior. 

Michael Jordan Dunk GIF by NBA

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

genuine question if you have time answer between your work obligations...what is the "differing opinion" that was "not allowed" in your post below?

On 1/17/2024 at 11:14 AM, Longhornlove said:

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on X or watch on the news.

image.thumb.png.64fbbeef8602795f3b7a482dff58e091.png

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/doj-filing-shows-texas-did-not-stop-border-patrol-from-saving-drowning-migrants/

Not only that, they admitted that the people drowned before the Border Patrol/DHS notified Texas of the incoming immigrants.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hal Finney said:

Oh, so Cato is now legit source. Any other time Cato posts are shared here it's lol that's Cato. Disregard.

I also love how the first justification is we need fuel for the social security ponzi.

For all the people here who cry about big business, you sure do lap up the narrative they serve up that we (they) need more cheap labor.

how many times has cato been shared here member of all of 5 weeks?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

genuine question if you have time answer between your work obligations...what is the "differing opinion" that was "not allowed" in your post below?

Dude don't be so toxic

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, Smax said:

how many times has cato been shared here member of all of 5 weeks?

What's funny is I'm pretty sure I've never said anything negative about the CATO institute here.  I certainly have my issues with them, but I linked them because I figured LLL would be more open to arguments in support of immigration from the right than the left, particularly given that the question was specifically about whether money spent on immigrants was an efficient use of taxpayer dollars.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, immamac said:

I know longhornlove IRL and you guys are really off base here over a differing opinion. Stop being part of outrage dogpile culture. Disagree and move on. 

6 hours ago, immamac said:

Your friend is/was blatantly threadshitting/borderline trolling and then absolutely pissing his pants at [what began as] the smallest amount of pushback.

You're only enabling him by coming in here ordering everyone to stop being mean to him when he absolutely 100% earned it and deserves it. Did you forget what board you moderate? Did you really think you weren't going to get dragged for doing this?

You're the one that needs to stop, not them.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

This country was literally founded on the idea of having people from parts unknown come together to form a new nation. It's what separates us from European nations which were, and still are to a large extent, relatively homogenous in their populations. The entire western part of this country was taken from Mexico. Yet, people complain about Mexicans living amongst us. I'll never understand when we lost sight of that part of our history. The Statue of Liberty describes the people we sought to attract, the tired, the poor, the wretched refuse, etc. Seinfeld's bit on that was poignant and funny. Our current climate is just infuriating. 

To be fair, as long as immigrants have been pouring into this country, there has been opposition - sometimes violent - to immigration. From the Alien-Sedition acts of the late 18th century, to the rise of the Know-Nothing party in the middle of the 19th. The climate has always been tense when it comes to immigration, and the hatred of others remains as strong today as it was 250 years ago. The only difference being that we convinced ourselves somewhere between 1970-1990 that we had risen above naked xenophobia as pillar of foreign policy, and that the words of Emma Lazarus accurately reflected our history of immigration. Her words, it turns out, were aspirational only. Conditioned to believe that the US is the welcoming land of opportunity, imagine our surprise when it turns out Susan from the PTA is fine with soldiers shooting children as they cross the border.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Aw fuck it.

As @royiv pointed out several pages back, this thread has turned to shit so another derail matters not. Here goes...

When you posted the first of your ~20 responses in this thread, I read the screenshot (The Right Scoop) along with the National Review article and refrained from comment. I had seen the earlier tweets and had commented on a previous page that this initial border action by the governor seemed like a performative stunt more than a willingness to work alongside others to assist various agencies with immigration. That is with the complete understanding that agencies often don't play nicely with each other. Egos.

However, you went on to post the court summary ( @TwiceHorn or any of the other legal types know what it's called) and so I read that and then posted a response, pointing out one or two items that were omitted from the media. This was followed with some back and forth between posters, comments regarding tax liability as it relates to immigration, more back and forth about which political parties bear more responsibility for reform, more back and forth including the word "slimy" being used in reference to CR demeanor, more stupid shit and finally this last piece.

I will point out, that at no time did I ever call you a name or state that your intelligence is lacking. I did, upon reading the dig about wanting to ruffle feathers, remark on the disingenuous nature of your initial post. Which leads me to this point. Despite no name calling nor neg reps given, at no time did you ever engage with me when I addressed your comment with civility and a statement of fact as elicited by the information YOU provided. YOU are not required to respond to posters who insult you, name call you, and lord knows, I have enough people on here that I ignore w/o using the feature but you chose to do so with them. I essentially gave you an out and you ignored it because actually discussing this issue sans emotion did not seem to interest you all that much. Despite imagining my own children being torn from my arms and swept under the current to die, I was willing and wondering if you were going to discuss to what end Abbott's decision was supposed to be. I find it almost but not quite amusing that a (stereotypical) male response to place women in a catch 22 is to call them "too emotional" to be rational but call them frigid and cold-hearted when they posit thoughts with little emotion. So if you were accusing CR posters of being emotional, well, look in the mirror. I do, however, possess a pitchfork but it is relegated to the garden shed where garden tools such as it should be.

This thread is the zero sum game microcosm of the zero sum game being played and it would be nice, for once, if players would consider trying the non-zero-sum, aka positive-sum/win-win game but I am not optimistic. Sucks to our ass-mar. Lord Of The Flies it is then.

G4881-toxic-sign.png

• Haha 4