Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

Twitter's Road to $1 Billion.

Twitter didn't become a billion-dollar company last week thanks to any single event or innovation.

It took a combination of small, crucial moments, whopping momentum changers, and assists from others.

Spoiler

Of course, that article is from 2009, but I feel like you could write up a new article that would fit that headline.

• Haha 5

I guess this tells me I’m somewhat addicted to Twitter considering how many times I’ve gotten annoyed at not being able to refresh my timeline or read replies due to exceeding the rate limit.

Also the first time I pulled up BlueSky in the App Store earlier today it was something like #125 on the social network chart. Now at #7.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

I guess this tells me I’m somewhat addicted to Twitter considering how many times I’ve gotten annoyed at not being able to refresh my timeline or read replies due to exceeding the rate limit.

Also the first time I pulled up BlueSky in the App Store earlier today it was something like #125 on the social network chart. Now at #7.

I think it’s more of we’ve come to think of twitter as the go-to for news and information. Had an ex say I was addicted to twitter and I responded “no, it’s just the best way to breaking news and info in real time.”  That’s what I thought the beauty of twitter was compared to something shitty like facebook (which i log on there maybe…MAYBE…once a month).

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I think it’s more of we’ve come to think of twitter as the go-to for news and information. Had an ex say I was addicted to twitter and I responded “no, it’s just the best way to breaking news and info in real time.”  That’s what I thought the beauty of twitter was compared to something shitty like facebook (which i log on there maybe…MAYBE…once a month).

It was a text thread that the whole world was on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yeah, Twitter was by far the best way to get breaking news and updates about things that were important to you and not necessarily to media companies. With the old blue check system, it was even fairly easy to find ok to really good reporting while weeding out the bad. 

The Russia mutiny really revealed the damage that got done. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

Lol.

”I’m not addicted, I’m just on it all day for breaking news!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So is it a system crash or a new Elon choice that I can see imbedded tweets here but can no longer click on them and open them in a browser to read comments?

i get an “oops something went wrong” message and buttons to log in or sign up. 

It's a choice to no longer show them to un logged in users.

In the midst of fucking up Twitter yesterday, Elon also spent the day engaging in some good ol' fashioned xenophobia and arguing for significant limitations on suffrage. 

That was in response to an infamous anti-Muslim activist posting about how France had ruined itself with immigration. Then followed up with this.

Edited by Storm the Field

9 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

You awake

You're at work

Cuz you work for an asshole who wants you to work super mega hard core

You have no hope of having a family

and now you've lost the right to vote

Edited by ultimaton
why not
  • Haha 1

Was reading the wiki for bluesky and this cracked me up

Bluesky was described in 2021 as an initiative to develop a decentralized social network protocol, where multiple social networks, each with its own systems of curation and moderation, would interact with other social networks through an open standard. Each social network using the protocol would be called an "application". As of 2023, Bluesky operates its own official network called Bluesky Social, a centralised service running on proprietary software for its servers and client apps, whereas part of the protocol implementation has been released under MIT license. Neither the protocol nor service claimed to use blockchain technology in 2022.

Posts on the platform have been dubbed 'skeets'(claimed to be a portmanteau of 'sky' and 'tweet', but also a common slang term for ejaculation) by frequent users, despite CEO Jay Graber pleading with users not to call them that.

skeet-stand-up.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Man, when you are getting dunked on by the fucking dictionary, it might be a good time to re-examine how you got here and make some changes. But we all know, Elon won't do that. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Elon is treating tweets like they’re his content that he paid to create. I can understand that he wants to get paid by other services to access tweets especially if they’re doing it in bulk. Presumably those services utilize heavy Twitter resources so it’s not unreasonable to ask them to pay for API or bulk data scraping access. But why would you punish everyday, low volume users whose very existence pays the bills?

I’m sure that some data analyst told Elon that 95% of Twitter users wouldn’t be impacted. Probably true. But the remaining 5% are the power users who perform the heavy lift of creating and viewing content. Both of which drive Twitter revenue. 

6 hours ago, Pods said:

Man, when you are getting dunked on by the fucking dictionary, it might be a good time to re-examine how you got here and make some changes. But we all know, Elon won't do that. 

Probably simpler to just buy Merriam Webster for another $40B.

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Elon is treating tweets like they’re his content that he paid to create. I can understand that he wants to get paid by other services to access tweets especially if they’re doing it in bulk. Presumably those services utilize heavy Twitter resources so it’s not unreasonable to ask them to pay for API or bulk data scraping access. But why would you punish everyday, low volume users whose very existence pays the bills?

I’m sure that some data analyst told Elon that 95% of Twitter users wouldn’t be impacted. Probably true. But the remaining 5% are the power users who perform the heavy lift of creating and viewing content. Both of which drive Twitter revenue. 

BBS/news article/google search/Reddit/etc displays a tweet to me, utilizing Twitter resources to display Twitter content on their site/app. I click through because the tweet is limited to 280 characters and I want to see the rest of the content and maybe the context as well as comments from other notable and expert people are in the thread.

Except now I can’t click through and see anything, I wouldn’t be able to tell who anyone is, and the amplified voices are just those who pay money to be amplified voices. But, the tweet limit is 10k characters so I guess maybe I don’t need to click through anymore?

You’re talking about scraping of course but man it seems like there would be a better way to prevent that than by ruining your business model. 

Elon at the end of a meeting where intelligent people explain the wisdom of his stupid fucking ideas -

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

because they don't have the ability to limit who is impacted - either because there isn't the ability to change that on a granular basis or they don't have anyone else there who knows how to make it happen.

the self DDoS itself is one of the funniest things ive ever seen on the internet personally.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

In my career, I've witnessed some poor leaders order subject matter experts to make a particular tech change. Many times it's a reactionary request. If the SMEs think it's a bad idea, they will initially push back by explaining why the idea creates downstream problems. The leader was bad because they 100% ignored the feedback and required the immediate change. 

Do that a handful of times, and the SME will stop providing valuable feedback. It's how you steam over your own towline.

If you just want yes-men on your team, you better be 100% right all the time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I bet the new CEO doesn't last thru July. It's doubtful that she wanted this change, ordered it, or is supporting it. And she's the CEO at least in name. I wouldn't be shocked if we start to hear rumors about her departure this week.

He hired her to take the blame. They’re running out of money 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

He hired her to take the blame. They’re running out of money 

Functionally all of their revenue comes from advertising.  They were already having a hard time breaking even before he bought Twitter.  Advertising revenue is now down 60% (per the story I heard on NPR this morning).  Subscription revenue is pennies, relatively speaking.

I'm no math whiz, but that's flat-out unsustainable.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?