2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

Just now, mdmost said:

In Concan, there's an ABC crew setup. The bats came out of the cave during the totality. 

Yeah, a friend who works at College of Natural Sciences had  team setup a bunch of discrete recording equipment under the South Congress Avenue bridge to see/hear what the bats would do.  Obviously he's extremely busy packing the shit up and digesting the data, but I can't wait to see/hear what it was like.  Probably just stayed asleep since they're just used to staying asleep for extended periods of time.  But of that many, there had to be a few that were alerted to the darkness and nudged the one next to him,

Hey man, are you awake?" 

"Well I am now asshole."  

You wanna quietly go out and get something to eat before the elders wake up?"

"Yeah, I could eat..."  

We got a really lucky break of cloud cover right during the totality and the shift to nighttime was so cool.  I pointed out to the girls how there were no birds flying or even chirping, just a few insects.  Then on the walk home, a literal platoon of squirrels (multiple dozen) just started running and jumping through the path home looking for food.  It was surreal.  We have a creekbed and lots of trees in the 'hood, but usually only see a handful out at a time.  And they dozens came out all at once just jumping and diggingi like it was the end of the world after the totality.  Kinda cool...

• Hook 'Em 2

i watched this in Gatesville.  we had a lot of clouds with some breaks allowing me to use the glasses to see the chunk being taken out.

about 30 seconds before full totality we had very light clouds and then for the first 50 seconds or so of totality we had full view.

heavier clouds came in for the last 3 mins or so, but seeing how dark it got was pretty cool

didnt hear ANY of the animals doing anything special. maybe because the cloud cover was so strong.

very cool and very cool seeing the corona with the naked eye  9/10... fucking clouds kept it from being an 11/10

46 minutes ago, immamac said:

Got some pretty good ones. including totality with solar flares only visible. Incredible. Got completely dark out here west of Austin. 

IMG_5595.JPGIMG_5577.JPGIMG_5533.JPGIMG_5526.JPGIMG_5519.JPGIMG_5510.JPGIMG_5602.JPGIMG_5601.JPG

IMG_5597.JPG

Damn. That's some Apocalypto shit.

The most unexpected part for me was at like 98-99% and it still looked somewhat normal outside and I’m thinking, “wait, is this gonna happen still?  Does the ring just disappear or what?”  And then HOLY SHIT all at once it just happens. 

Yeah that was very cool. Here it was like someone flipped the light switch. Then again as the first sliver reappeared, boom lights on.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

What causes that pink triangle at about the 5 o'clock position on the eclipse?  Is it a camera thing or the gays causing the the eclipse to begin with, or?  

That was a solar flare.  Only 1 piece (another one at 10 o’clock-ish.  Not 31 pieces unfortunately for the sun 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Yeah this was about 5 or so mins before totality.

image.thumb.png.0be7920bccb21d44d9811a41b157c8f9.png

I don't really put a lot of effort into getting good shots for events like these (and it shows) because there are always tons of people with fancy camera gear that will flood the internet with better pics than I can muster. I'm sure some mofo from the other angle captured both the tower and the eclipse in a single shot. Just gotta wait for that to surface online. 

This looks like it's from the intro to The Leftovers. That intro "Let the mystery be" by Iris DeMent always made the room dusty.

Ai9eja1u.thumb.jpg.0b738b9631f895648ce59285009b0e3e.jpg

Hopefully nobody else showed up at their kids’ school with a portable 8-track player, a Dark Side of the Moon 8-track, and a ziploc bag of fresh lawn clippings and started cracking jokes about the only way to enjoy the eclipse.  

Randy Marsh GIF by South Park

Speaking of Floyd, somebody here did it right.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

At the in-laws in Georgetown with a group of olds in the back yard and who are jamming Pink Floyd asking if I brought weed.  

They released the 50th anniversary winner’s animation for Eclipse yesterday just in time for this

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Home, home again. (I like to be here when I can.)

Traffic was worse on the way home than it was on the way there but I took the “scenic route” on the way home. Bad idea. (It was scenic, though.) What a successful day. Congrats to everyone who got to see it. I feel very fortunate to have finally gotten to see a total solar eclipse. I doubt I’ll ever see another. Truly remarkable. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I thought it was awesome!

I teach for Plano ISD and our district provided the glasses for all 50,000+ students. We got real lucky with the clouds, morning was totally clouded over, it got progressively better, and we had clear view of pretty much the whole thing. About 20 seconds towards the end of totality had a bit of cloud interference, but it was fine.

All the kids totally loved it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

With regards to the "temperatures drop" claim, my nerd self recorded the air temperature off KXAN every five minutes from the start to well past totality.  Conclusion?  Eh.  Maybe temperature didn't rise as much as it might have in a normal day, but it wasn't like a cold front blew through.  I suspect what people are perceiving is a reduced level of radiative heating, even though the air, which is a giant thermal "capacitor", doesn't cool off:

image.png.c34b38727d795f729b4a29b1163fb9b0.png

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Man, that was fucking incredible. We ended up on the shore of Richland-Chambers lake at a public boat ramp park and there were only 3 other cars out there to see the eclipse. The clouds started to break on the way out there and by the time we started to notice it getting darker it was pretty much clear. We had ~3:30 of totality pretty much unobscured, so I'm very glad we decided to take the kids out of school and still go for it.

Thank you to the people on this thread for saying 99% isn't in the same ballpark as 100%. Taking the glasses off and observing totality withe naked eyes is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. We could've stayed home and seen 98% coverage, but... ain't no fucking ballpark, ain't even the same league, it ain't even the same fucking sport.

No traffic at all going or coming. Got back home around 4pm and the heavens opened up about 4:15. I'm feeling so damn lucky that everything came together like it did and that we got to experience it as a family.

Yep, I listened to a guy on NPR a month or so ago talking about how you should do whatever you can to get in the path of totality, and as deep into it as you can get. He emphasized how precious it is and how you should try to get as much time in totality as possible. He was right.

I could’ve stayed home, gone to the northernmost part of Dublin and seen 1:23 of totality. I could’ve stopped in Delaware and seen 2:35 of totality. Instead I drove on to Marion and got 3:34 of totality. Every extra second of jaw-dropping wonder was worth it. I’m so lucky that I could leave a little after noon and be back around 5:00. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Like others said, that beat expectations. Had a cloud pop in front just before totality started but then broke away about 30 seconds into it so got the rest.  Truly badass.

Absolutely. It's hard to describe what that was like. I really went in lukewarm because of the clouds but even that experience totally exceeded expectations. We watched it at Zilker Park and that sudden experience of going from a gray day to nearly night time was surreal. All of a sudden the downtown Austin skyline lit up and everything got quiet and still other than everybody cheering.  Even the annoying bugs that come out at night started flying. It was totally worth it.

Also fantastic that we barely had any traffic to zilker or leaving Zilker. Smooth and easy.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

do whatever you can to get in the path of totality

I feel very fortunate that my house was only 10 seconds less than the time at the center of totality. The cloud forecast was crappy but the totality was in view for us the entire event. The show did not disappoint. Sureal.

• Like 1