Los Angeles is painting some streets...white!

Gil Bang

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

First thoughts are nice idea, but how long until they are black from car emissions and tire wear, and that looks like a slick surface where tire grip might be compromised, especially in the rain. 

I imagine they've added some grit to it like all street paint.

But yeah, that shit will be black with a quickness.

It is such a great idea that they should find a way to make the yards white and the trees ..... oh wait, we do that here in Michigan for 1/2 the year, and we call it snow. All that reflected sunlight tends to make it much colder here when there is snow on the ground than it is in the summer.

I'm with Trey on this one, can't wait to see what the unintended consequences are.

My first guess was that it would be easier to spot blood splatter from shootings.  (jk)

It reminds me of the Cooldeck coating they used on all of our concrete pool decking.  That stuff is awesome, it can be so hot you can't walk on the concrete steps or flagstone bare footed, but the Cooldeck coating is cool as can be.  

Like a couple of other posters mentioned previously, I don't know how long it will take them to look like hell with oil stains, tire marks etc.  and really how durable is that stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

What'll be funny is when the data comes back to show a higher level urban heat island (think higher in the lower atmosphere) from reflecting the rays above, and then it will begin to truly affect climate.    Law of unintended consequences and such  

This was my first thought too...

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

First thoughts are nice idea, but how long until they are black from car emissions and tire wear, and that looks like a slick surface where tire grip might be compromised, especially in the rain. 

It never rains in Southern California.  

But girl, don't they warn you.

It pours, man, it pours.

• Like 1

Meh.  The City of Houston fell prey to the influence of one particular roofing contractor when he approached them with the idea of mandating solar reflective roof membranes on all commerical low-slope roofing applications. 

Houston, specifically inside the loop, is a heat island and solar reflective roofing would help alleviate the problem.  The CoH completely bought into  the program and pretty much overnight updated their building codes stating any commercial property with a low-slope roof built or re-roofed within the city limits would be required to use a solar reflective (WHITE) roof typically coming in the form of TPO, PVC or specific types of modified bitumen membranes.

All of the big commercial contractors (Marton, Antex, Charter, etc.) freaked out.  They were so heavily invested in the built -up roofing sytems (multiple plies fiberglass ply sheets, asphalt and gravel covering and NOT thermal reflective) they literally screamed at the guy that gave them the news at a big  roofing contractors association meeting to go over the new building codes.  These guys lost their minds over the deal:  red-faced, spittle flying out of their mouths, shaking their fists, etc.  

The fly in the ointment for solar reflective roofs and what makes them ineffective is when they get dirty they no longer reflect and are rendered useless.  No one thought of that or that fact was ignored.  In the end the solar reflective roofs are here to stay, dirty or clean.

So.....I guess someone is going to have to go clean the roads.

Edited by deadshank

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nice when a city tries out a pilot program on something that has potential benefits but could possibly fail.  Too many times upper management is only are willing to try something that is proven.  Then they pat themselves on the back for being innovative.

I mean, they did try the floating balls in water retention ponds trick.   That was employed on all their drinking water reservoirs and is now being removed from them all.    Apparently they cost $.36/e.   Billions of them were made.   

I guess we’ll see 

21 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I mean, they did try the floating balls in water retention ponds trick.   That was employed on all their drinking water reservoirs and is now being removed from them all.    Apparently they cost $.36/e.   Billions of them were made.   

I guess we’ll see 

Okay I'm going to need a little more info on this one. I've never heard of that before what the hell was that supposed to accomplish?

19 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Okay I'm going to need a little more info on this one. I've never heard of that before what the hell was that supposed to accomplish?

If I recall correctly, a shit-ton of balls floating on a reservoir's surface supposedly slows evaporation. I could be making that up though.

2 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Will the streets be renamed Katellyyn (with two y's) St and Brecklynne Drive?

The streets will feel compelled to tell you how they are descended from Robert the Bruce. When you counter that everyone is descended from Robert the Bruce, they will stare at you for a beat, then repeat "But we really are descended from Robert the Bruce."

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

The streets will feel compelled to tell you how they are descended from Robert the Bruce. When you counter that everyone is descended from Robert the Bruce, they will stare at you for a beat, then repeat "But we really are descended from Robert the Bruce."

As someone of partial Irish descent, I'm pretty confident in my claim on William de Burgh.