Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

20 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken also commented on the developing situation.

"The fact that Prigozhin made a direct challenge to Putin's authority, the fact that he questioned publicly the very premises that Putin has advanced for the aggression against Ukraine – that's playing out and will continue to play out," Blinken told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell on Wednesday when asked about the incident.

"We've seen the ongoing drama, too, of where is Prigozhin, what is the arrangement with Putin?" he added. "If I were Mr. Prigozhin, I would remain very concerned. NATO has an 'Open Door' policy; Russia has an open windows policy, and he needs to be very focused on that."

The "open windows policy" was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that numerous prominent Russian officials and businessmen who fell out of favor with Putin died by what local authorities described as falling out of windows or off of balconies.

Thats-gold-jerry GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Russians seem to be big defenestration enthusiasts, there is no doubt.

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Am I the only one that imagines that Pigmeat was screaming like a bitch all the way to the ground?

This is better than him meeting the business end of a sledgehammer.  The sledgehammer is much too quick and I like to picture him shitting his pants all the way to the ground.  Fuck this guy, I hope he was also burning alive while falling to the ground.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

If you were just casually looking at how Putin operates you might think killing an opponent is localized just to his regime and that perhaps the nation as a whole deserves better.

After laughing about thinking that you look at Russian history as a whole and realize this is how it has been for them for centuries. This is how they have ALWAYS existed. Again this is nothing more than a 3rd World country with a nuclear arsenal. They are a completely backwards and morally bankrupt country that has gone from one despot to another for most of its history. They are the Denny Green meme running into perpetuity. Outside of a full scale takeover of this country by the west they are never going to come out of their own self-imposed idiocy. In short Russia has the dictator it deserves. None of us posting here will ever love long term bough to see Russia modernize itself. Putin will one day die and be replaced by the next Tin Pot dictator. Same as it always was.

This.  So much this.  Forever and ever, amen.  Esp. the bolded, for simplicity's sake.

Russia is utterly backwards.  Always has been, always will be.  It is what they are.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

If you were just casually looking at how Putin operates you might think killing an opponent is localized just to his regime and that perhaps the nation as a whole deserves better.

After laughing about thinking that you look at Russian history as a whole and realize this is how it has been for them for centuries. This is how they have ALWAYS existed. Again this is nothing more than a 3rd World country with a nuclear arsenal. They are a completely backwards and morally bankrupt country that has gone from one despot to another for most of its history. They are the Denny Green meme running into perpetuity. Outside of a full scale takeover of this country by the west they are never going to come out of their own self-imposed idiocy. In short Russia has the dictator it deserves. None of us posting here will ever live long enough to see Russia modernize itself. Putin will one day die and be replaced by the next Tin Pot dictator. Same as it always was.

comb.io - My Three Suns

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Sadly, as somewhat of an enthusiast for Russian history and literature, I agree with this. Russia needs its a Germany or Japan style total defeat and rebuild. It needs to be so thoroughly crushed that it never again will believe it is or can be a "great power." 

This is a great take, too.

Russia's greatest blessing is its giant landmass, full of natural resources and very difficult to conquer.

Russia's greatest curse is ALSO its giant landmass, full of natural resources and very difficult to conquer.

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

After laughing about thinking that you look at Russian history as a whole and realize this is how it has been for them for centuries. This is how they have ALWAYS existed. Again this is nothing more than a 3rd World country with a nuclear arsenal. They are a completely backwards and morally bankrupt country that has gone from one despot to another for most of its history. They are the Denny Green meme running into perpetuity. Outside of a full scale takeover of this country by the west they are never going to come out of their own self-imposed idiocy. In short Russia has the dictator it deserves. None of us posting here will ever live long enough to see Russia modernize itself. Putin will one day die and be replaced by the next Tin Pot dictator. Same as it always was.

This is a little more dismissive of Russia's acomplishments than I think is appropriate. They've produced many very talented adult film actresses.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Also, I think most ground-launched anti-air missiles are radar-guided rather than heat-seeking. I'm sure there are exceptions, though.

no exceptions amongst the russian surface to air missiles.  the 40NE6E, 48N6DM, 48N6E3, 48N6E2, 9M96E and 9M96E2 are all active radar honing.

that's why they all come with these:

img06-006-01s.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Goredho said:

How I picture @atomheartbevo and @MillerEP right now...

airplane-sniffing.gif

Ironically I was up late working on a project last night, so I took a brief nap this afternoonand woke up to this thread jumping three pages or so.  Figured either Ukraine broke through or it was a coup.  Kind of surprised. I know he had to make an example of Priggy, but he had Wagner under control through Priggy.

• Hook 'Em 2

Kind of bizarre location to get shot down.    It's about 150 miles NW of Moscow and 250 miles SE of St. Petersburg.  Also about 250 N/NE of Belarus and Ukraine.   

There is an air base in the area but do Russian bases have SAM sites around them that far into the interior?   If they do, I'm curious if that is SOP or have the Russian started doing that with the increase in drone attacks.   The really odd thing is that the air base is for helicopters.   Not exactly a high worth target for Ukraine.   Having a SAM base there is like us putting one SW Virginia.  Otherwise it was based in Moscow and someone got an itchy trigger finger.  

So in conclusion, Putin killed him.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Macanudo said:

Kind of bizarre location to get shot down.    It's about 150 miles NW of Moscow and 250 miles SE of St. Petersburg.  Also about 250 N/NE of Belarus and Ukraine.   

There is an air base in the area but do Russian bases have SAM sites around them that far into the interior?   If they do, I'm curious if that is SOP or have the Russian started doing that with the increase in drone attacks.   The really odd thing is that the air base is for helicopters.   Not exactly a high worth target for Ukraine.   Having a SAM base there is like us putting one SW Virginia.  Otherwise it was based in Moscow and someone got an itchy trigger finger.  

So in conclusion, Putin killed him.  

ideal place.  go to google maps and look at the area where the incident occurred.  nothing down there, very little collateral damages.  here's streetview of the road right below where the plane went down.

https://goo.gl/maps/TV62XhhXSdNuQXVE7

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, sidis said:

ideal place.  go to google maps and look at the area where the incident occurred.  nothing down there, very little collateral damages.  here's streetview of the road right below where the plane went down.

https://goo.gl/maps/TV62XhhXSdNuQXVE7

You think Putin gives a rat's ass about collateral damage.  That's hilarious.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, sidis said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnN8jZeM957zn5qhwpjoP

1200px-Embraer_legacy_600_g-irsh_arp.jpg

Well, ya got us.  @Ghost of LL and I were discussing, and we knew the bird was an Embraer.  We thought it was a bigger one -- 172 or 175, which does have the underwing engines.

Looked like it was spewing fuel, and missing a wing.  But it also may have been missing the vertical stabilizer.  Hard to tell precisely from the video.  

I mean, either way...it was going down.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Is Wagner even anywhere near Russia in meaningful numbers? Or are they mostly in Africa and western Belarus? That makes a pretty big difference in their ability to re-coup

They're in Belarus in pretty large numbers.  And Belarus doesn't really have a military to prevent Wagner from moving toward Russia.

But the real trouble is that I don't think Wagner took any of their heavy weaponry to Belarus.  At least the videos I saw showed them moving into Belarus in convoys of trucks, not tanks and IFVs.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I was pretty sure our satellites could pick up them launching SAM's, but this more or less says that absolutely we can.  Interesting that we would be letting this out, undermining whatever bullshit story Putin comes up with doesn't hurt so whatever.  Sowing more dissent only helps Ukraine.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It is pretty shitty, I have to say, that on Ukraine Independence Day tomorrow the whole world will be talking about how/if one Kremlin thug murdered a failed Kremlin thug mutineer. Along with  all the disinformation that comes with it.

Putin could have offer him at any time and don’t believe for a minute this wasn’t timed.

• Hook 'Em 5

41 minutes ago, sidis said:

for some reason, my link on to the street view above is fucky.  not where i set it.

what's funny is someone already put a pic of the plane burning on the tail's page on flightaware.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/RA02795

No Flights In The Last 14 Days

And none in the next 14,000,000,000,000 either.

• Haha 5

If I was Pootin, I'd come out and say shit like "Prigozhin's was a close personal friend and a true Russian patriot; if he was killed, I'll hold those responsible"  

Nobody (outside of Russia) will believe it, but it would probably play to the Wagner rank and file and be just enough to make them do nothing.

• Hook 'Em 2

As much as it pains me to say it, Prigozhin was absolutely a worse option (i.e., somehow even less stable/predictable) than Putin, so his untimely demise should ultimately be a good thing.
Even better if it touches off a little bit o' civil war.

Unpredictable? He was motivated by money and pride. He was very predictable.
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Sure. Attempting a coup against a sociopath and then suddenly reversing his course, saying, "Oops, my bad!," and absconding to Belarus, then Africa, then god knows where.

Totally predictable.

We’ve all been there. 

• Haha 2