2020 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES: Joe Biden vs Donald Trump

Mrs Whiggins

11 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess that explains why the Republican party was all in on "anti-communism" back in the Cold War.  Thanks for the confirmation that your party has deep roots in white supremacy and facism.

To be fair to him, anti-Semitism was a HUGE part of that as well so that might not strictly be "white supremacy"?

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm not sure why Biden didn't denounce democracy. It is an idea that people commit violence in the name of every day around the world. Clearly you can see how democracy is the equivalent of child rape in this context.

Don't forget Christianity. Lots of violence in the name of Jesus over the years. Looks like there's about to be a lot more. 

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Imo he's looking for a reason to not do these anymore.  This will probably be it 

I think there is a good chance he says the debates are rigged for Biden and he drops out of the last two.  Biden will take the air time and conduct town halls or what not and Trump will schedule a rally at the same time as the debate was supposed to be.  He did this in 2016 during the R primary I believe.  Fox News will then show the Trump rally instead of the Biden town hall. 

Last night I started laughing like a maniac at this shit show.  I am not sure if its a defense mechanism, or a reaction to the absurdity that anyone could vote for this cartoon clown, let alone idolize him.  I am laughing my ass off while things burn to the ground. I can't put out the fire, so might as well laugh.

Secondly, last night galvanized me to do everything I can in the coming weeks.  I I will vote early and encourage others to do so in person, and I am signing up to be a poll monitor.  Let the magats try to intimidate people at the polls.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

Last night I started laughing like a maniac at this shit show.  I am not sure if its a defense mechanism, or a reaction to the absurdity that anyone could vote for this cartoon clown, let alone idolize him.  I am laughing my ass off while things burn to the ground. I can't put out the fire, so might as well laugh.

Secondly, last night galvanized me to do everything I can in the coming weeks.  I I will vote early and encourage others to do so in person, and I am signing up to be a poll monitor.  Let the magats try to intimidate people at the polls.

Yeah, the only good thing I can say about yesterday is that I voted yesterday afternoon before watching the shitshow.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I think there is a good chance he says the debates are rigged for Biden and he drops out of the last two.  Biden will take the air time and conduct town halls or what not and Trump will schedule a rally at the same time as the debate was supposed to be.  He did this in 2016 during the R primary I believe.  Fox News will then show the Trump rally instead of the Biden town hall. 

it is sort of rigging it against him.  he has no weapons other than the rhetorical tools we saw him use last night.  take those away and he really is at a disadvantage.

37 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, the idea that any other candidate would have performed better is just wrongheaded. BT said it pages back, there's no "beating" Trump in a debate because he just keeps talking and lying. There wouldn't be a moment where someone lands a zinger or something and Trump just hangs his head in shame. They'd all be slight variations of what we saw last night.

This is wrong. I re-watched the first debate in 2016 just for comparison's sake late last night and Hillary did beat him like a dirty old rug. She was fantastic in that debate in the face of the same interruptions and the same vile behavior. Biden missed sooooooo many chances to hit a grand slam. He scored a few hits by telling him to shut up and that he's the worst president ever, but he left many hanging sliders that Hillary, Warren, Bernie, or Kamala would have crushed. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

it is sort of rigging it against him.  he has no weapons other than the rhetorical tools we saw him use last night.  take those away and he really is at a disadvantage.

This appears to be the talking point reaction/discussion from the Trump folks who are in their safe spaces except they don't include your last two sentences.

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I welcome Trump supporters expressing themselves. I honestly want to understand their perspective. Out here there are very few vocal Trump supporters so I don't hear the justification for their support. There's a few I know on social media but they mostly just posts memes and shit.

You are going to be disappointed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

Breaking News. 

The Commission on Presidential Debates said on Wednesday that it would make changes to the format of this year’s remaining match-ups in the wake of Tuesday night’s melee in Cleveland, where frequent interruptions from President Trump led to a chaotic and often incoherent event, though it did not elaborate on what those changes would entail.

If I release swarms of malaria-laden mosquitoes into my home once a week, I could come up with all sorts of rules about clothing, nets, and which rooms are off limits. Or I could stop introducing a dangerous pest into my home

This feels like a rule about netting around my bed.

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

Cue Trump dropping out of the final two debates because this is unfair.

I think that's definitely very possible.  But I could also see it working to Trump's benefit somewhat.  

He obviously can't exert any self-control.  So if there's some outside force exerting some control over him, then he could look somewhat more dignified and non-insane than he actually is.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

So if dOTarD drops out, does that mean Biden gets to answer questions without interruption for 90 minutes? basically free air time?

That's a serious question btw y'all.

I don't know.  But that's certainly the threat the Commission would make to prevent Trump from dropping out.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

You don't need to go to rallies to  be a white supremacist, but "anti-Communism" rallies outside of South Florida have basically the exact same people involved that would be at an open white supremacist rally. There's a ton of overlap between the two things, as you know.

Are you going to try to sell the idea that you were just a dispassionate observer until then? No one believes that lie, so don't try to sell it.

Don't try victimhood crap.

I was at home when they came down our street, are you saying I can't be worried?

Okay, a dude that was 100% antifa killed another dude in downtown Portland. I haven't even heard of a member of PB doing that.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- he's not wrong about "anti-communism."  It was absolutely used to denigrate and delegitimize MLK, for example.  Now, I personally am "anti" communism because I don't support that actual political system.  I don't believe that the state should own all production, all of that stuff.  But those are political differences, not human differences (like how I am opposed to white supremacy).

2)  Let's repeat this for emphasis:

Your fucking president incites hatred of my ethnicity, so virulently and effectively that MOTHERFUCKERS GO HUNTING FOR US.  One of them fucking slaughtered 23 of us.  So, fuck right off with your misplaced concerns about someone lighting fires.  You support a movement that INCITES FUCKING MASS MURDER BASED ON RACE.  Want to get personal?  That's fucking personal, a fucking asshole went out and hunted and murdered 2 dozen people who had last names like mine.  But, I mean, you gotta support the guy who inspired that, because some fucking skinny dipshits lit some fucking fires near you.  Boo-fucking-hoo.  You're on team ethnic hatred and murder.  How about we get my jewish friends talking about the Tree of Life slaughter?  That was really awesome, because it hit the exacta -- inspired by your guy, he went out and murdered 1) jews because 2) they are soft on immigration of mexicans and such.

Fuck.  Right.  Off.

He's our president, unless you meant I voted for him, then you'd be wrong since I didn't. I subscribe to Wulaw's idea of voting for anyone i actually agree with, even if that person wont win. It's an abjection of the big two.

Edited by workswithseed

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

You know, I'm really looking forward to the inevitable behind-the-scenes tic-toc that we're going to see one day of the Trump campaign's reactions to that debate as it unfolded.  They have some actual professionals on that campaign who know how to get candidates elected.  And I have to imagine that they were pulling their hair out the entire time.

I mean, look at Chris Christie, who did some of his debate prep.  Christie couldn't have been happy with what he was watching.

After hours of coaching and getting assurances that he would be civilized.

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

Interesting. I've been wondering as I come back to this thread from time to time if news of this debate will attract people who missed the one last night. It was a bit of history. It was pro wrestling. If they have another debate, some may tune in for the fireworks that turned most of us off. 

Frankly, I couldn't stop watching. The MSNBC threesome said prior to the debate that it was more of a TV show than a debate. I remarked that it's actually more like a sporting event with people pulling for their team (candidate). It was a thug versus athlete. Classic Da U versus DKR's Longhorns. I watched all the pre- and post-game.

The ref lost control but the athlete prevailed over the shit-talking, cheap-shotting dickheads.

It’s not rigging anything against him if they just turn off the mics for the first two minutes while the other person responds. That was the rule they both agreed to. If you can’t keep your mouth shut for two minutes like you agreed, then you get muted. The rest of the ~15 minute segment both mics are on. He can act like a toddler then.

ETA: I think 2 uninterrupted minutes to address the question, 1 uninterrupted minute for a direct response, the 12 minutes of thunderdome would be manageable.

30 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think that's definitely very possible.  But I could also see it working to Trump's benefit somewhat.  

He obviously can't exert any self-control.  So if there's some outside force exerting some control over him, then he could look somewhat more dignified and non-insane than he actually is.

I don't know.  But that's certainly the threat the Commission would make to prevent Trump from dropping out.

I can't imagine that Trump would care.  After all, Biden could call ANY show right now, and get all the airtime he wants.   Does anybody think that Maddow, Cooper, Tapper, etc. would turn down Joe Biden?  How about Shepard Smith?  He'd be happy kicking off his new show with Biden. 

It's amazing looking through the comments to see how many dumbasses think a shirt crease and rosary beads were covert communications devices Biden had on him. Yup, a microphone up his sleeve...very important to have when he's literally standing at....a microphone.  And he should fire his team for leaving a wire hanging loose under his jacket instead of you know...putting it under his shirt or literally any place else.  If anything, Trump as president has made it really easy to figure out who the racists and batshit crazy people are.

Edited by OU Sucks

20 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Conversation with a patient today covered several good points on electing Trump.

- He won't fall asleep during the day
- His wife is hot
- Obama's wife looks like a man

Michelle is hotter than Melania. Her face shows expressions.  I guess some people find a lot of plastic surgery attractive though. Worse than that is that Melania has adopted some of Trump's mannerisms like the squinting glare. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Chris Wallace speaks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/business/media/chris-wallace-debate-moderator.html

“I’m just sad with the way last night turned out.”

Chris Wallace, the “Fox News Sunday” anchor and moderator of Tuesday’s melee of a debate between President Trump and Joseph R. Biden Jr., was on the phone Wednesday from his home in Annapolis, Md., reflecting on — his words — “a terrible missed opportunity.”

“I never dreamt that it would go off the tracks the way it did,” he said.

In his first interview since the chaotic and often incoherent spectacle — in which a pugilistic Mr. Trump relentlessly interrupted opponent and moderator alike — Mr. Wallace conceded that he had been slow to recognize that the president was not going to cease flouting the debate’s rules.

“I’ve read some of the reviews, I know people think, Well, gee, I didn’t jump in soon enough,” Mr. Wallace said, his voice betraying some hoarseness from the previous night’s proceedings. “I guess I didn’t realize — and there was no way you could, hindsight being 20/20 — that this was going to be the president’s strategy, not just for the beginning of the debate but the entire debate.”

Recalling his thoughts as he sat onstage, with tens of millions of Americans watching live, Mr. Wallace said: “I’m a pro. I’ve never been through anything like this.”

Mr. Trump’s bullying behavior had no obvious precedent in presidential debates, even the one that Mr. Wallace previously moderated, to acclaim, in 2016. In the interview, the anchor said that when Mr. Trump initially engaged directly with Mr. Biden, “I thought this was great — this is a debate!”

Spoiler

But as the president gave no sign of backing off, Mr. Wallace said, he grew more alarmed. “If I didn’t try to seize control of the debate — which I don’t know that I ever really did — then it was going to just go completely off the tracks,” he said.

Asked what he was feeling when he called the debate to a temporary halt — instructing the candidates that “the country would be better served if we allowed both people to speak with fewer interruptions” — Mr. Wallace said, “The answer to that question is easy: Desperation.”

Asked directly if Mr. Trump had derailed the debate, Mr. Wallace replied, “Well, he certainly didn’t help.”

Care to elaborate? “No,” Mr. Wallace said. “To quote the president, ‘It is what it is.’”

In the spotlight, Mr. Wallace was keenly aware of the complexity of his task: ensuring an evenhanded debate, avoiding taking sides, allowing candidates to express themselves while keeping the discussion substantive.

“You’re reluctant — as somebody who has said from the very beginning that I wanted to be as invisible as possible, and to enable them to talk — to rise to the point at which you begin to interject more and more,” Mr. Wallace said. “First to say, ‘Please don’t interrupt,’ then ‘Please obey the rules,’ and third, ‘This isn’t serving the country well.’ Those are all tough steps at real time, at that moment, on that stage.”

The Commission on Presidential Debates said on Wednesday that it would examine changes to the format of this year’s remaining encounters between Mr. Biden and Mr. Trump, a clear sign of its frustration with the results of Tuesday evening. The commission also took pains to praise Mr. Wallace for his “professionalism and skill.”

The suggestion that moderators be given the power to mute the candidates’ microphones — popular on social media in the hours after the event — did not sit well with Mr. Wallace.

“As a practical matter, even if the president’s microphone had been shut, he still could have continued to interrupt, and it might well have been picked up on Biden’s microphone, and it still would have disrupted the proceedings in the hall,” he said.

And he noted that cutting off the audio feed of a presidential candidate is a more consequential act than some pundits give it credit for. “People have to remember, and too many people forget, both of these candidates have the support of tens of millions of Americans,” he said.

Steve Scully of C-SPAN is set to moderate the next debate, in a town-hall format where Florida voters will ask many of the questions. Kristen Welker of NBC News is the moderator for the final debate. Mr. Wallace’s advice: “If either man goes down this road, I hope you’ll be quicker to realize what’s going on than I was. I didn’t have that advance warning.”

Mr. Wallace flew home from Cleveland on Tuesday night. At the airport, he accepted a glass of champagne from Lachlan Murdoch, whose family controls the Fox Corporation, and Suzanne Scott, the chief executive of Fox News, both of whom had been on hand for the debate. (“I didn’t feel much like celebrating,” Mr. Wallace admitted.)

Back in Annapolis, “I’ve been involved in a certain amount of soul-searching.”

“Generally speaking, I did as well as I could, so I don’t have any second thoughts there,” Mr. Wallace said, in conclusion. “I’m just disappointed with the results. For me, but much more importantly, I’m disappointed for the country, because it could have been a much more useful evening than it turned out to be.”

10 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

It's amazing looking through the comments to see how many dumbasses think a shirt crease and rosary beads were covert communications devices Biden had on him. Yup, a microphone up his sleeve...very important to have when he's literally standing at....a microphone.  And he should fire his team for leaving a wire hanging loose under his jacket instead of you know...putting it under his shirt or literally any place else.  If anything, Trump as president has made it really easy to figure out who the racists and batshit crazy people are.

Biden into the mic: Yea I am still waiting for the dumb ass to shut-up.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

And I think the next sentence was just as or more important, "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I’ll tell you what somebody’s got to do something about Antifa and the left because this is not a right wing problem this is a left wing."

This is Trump signaling Proud Boys to ignore the "stand back" part and be the somebody that will do something about it. 

That was exactly my take away.  "somebody's got to do something" is a clear directive to fuck shit up.

“I guess I didn’t realize — and there was no way you could, hindsight being 20/20 — that this was going to be the president’s strategy, not just for the beginning of the debate but the entire debate.”

Oh really?  Has he not been paying attention the last 4 years? Because Trump behaved exactly like I expected him to behave.  It's the same way he always behaves.  Why would some rules make any difference?

• Hook 'Em 1

This is wrong. I re-watched the first debate in 2016 just for comparison's sake late last night and Hillary did beat him like a dirty old rug. She was fantastic in that debate in the face of the same interruptions and the same vile behavior. Biden missed sooooooo many chances to hit a grand slam. He scored a few hits by telling him to shut up and that he's the worst president ever, but he left many hanging sliders that Hillary, Warren, Bernie, or Kamala would have crushed. 

The first three I agree with, but not Kamala. She’s pretty disappointing when put on the spot. I was hoping for more from her.