Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

I liked it because it took me back, riding bikes all over the place, arcades, etc.... And it has good suspense, but like every popular show, it gets over-hyped, so perhaps you went into it hoping to see one of the greats shows of our time. Its not that, but a damn good series, very likeable. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I liked it because it took me back, riding bikes all over the place, arcades, etc.... And it has good suspense, but like every popular show, it gets over-hyped, so perhaps you went into it hoping to see one of the greats shows of our time. Its not that, but a damn good series, very likeable. 

I have always been down for that, and generally good with kid characters (Stand By Me, It, for example), but maybe I'm getting too old or something.

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i got really into season one, but it turned out to really be the 80's nostalgia more than anything. started S2 and didn't get last ep.1. not a terrible show, but not all that gripping either. 

That's the way I saw ST also. The show is more aimed for people who like 80's nostalgia. The plot isn't anything new or unique. I like it but I don't think it should've gotten more than one season.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

That's the way I saw ST also. The show is more aimed for people who like 80's nostalgia. The plot isn't anything new or unique. I like it but I don't think it should've gotten more than one season.

Seasons 2 and 3 really weren't able to capture that creepy mysteriousness of season 1. A big part of the fun was not really knowing what the fuck was going on. Also 2 and 3 feel like they're really going overboard with the 80s stuff. "After we get finished listening to this Van Halen album we should take our skateboards to go see the popular movie Ghostbusters!". 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, I have been saving up Stranger Things.  I'm on the third ep and I'm not sure it's going to hook me.  Normal or just not my bag?

12 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I would bail now, bro

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i stopped after s1. 

#noregrets

6 hours ago, Horn80 said:

It is great if you are 13 years old.

Coming to America, Fuck You Who's Next? on Make a GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

@shadow_operative was born in the 90s or late 80s so it’s a different watch for him. Might be the same for @henrygandorf .

those of us who were elementary to high school age during this part of the 80s will have a different experience. 

born in '76.

i liked the look and the feel of the show, i just didn't like the story or the writing.  the 80's sci-fi/horror-adjacent movies were never really my jam.

and i'm pretty sure twice is older than me, but he can clear that up if he feels like it.

This is spot on for me....and for context I was in high school ‘81-‘85 and college ‘85-‘89.

Seasons 2 and 3 really weren't able to capture that creepy mysteriousness of season 1. A big part of the fun was not really knowing what the fuck was going on. Also 2 and 3 feel like they're really going overboard with the 80s stuff. "After we get finished listening to this Van Halen album we should take our skateboards to go see the popular movie Ghostbusters!". 

Trying to ground the Upside down in reality was a mistake. It just being tunnels underground was stupid.

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

born in '76.

i liked the look and the feel of the show, i just didn't like the story or the writing.  the 80's sci-fi/horror-adjacent movies were never really my jam.

and i'm pretty sure twice is older than me, but he can clear that up if he feels like it.

10 years, yeah.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:19 PM, UTCzech III said:

Just finished watching Tread.  Good, not great, pretty dry for a documentary.  It's only 1 1/2 hours though, goes by pretty quick.

We watched it last week.  Was well done and should put to rest all the folks out there who think ole Marv is some kind of hero.  He was a fucking nutcase who loved tilting at windmills.

• Like 1

We watched it last week.  Was well done and should put to rest all the folks out there who think ole Marv is some kind of hero.  He was a fucking nutcase who loved tilting at windmills.
But God didn't want him to hook up to services so that was his way of telling him to build a dozer and fuck shit up!

Just now, Scraps said:
4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

But God didn't want him to hook up to services so that was his way of telling him to build a dozer and fuck shit up!

How much easier would his life have been if he just hooked up to the fucking sewer?  Holy shit, it felt like that entire thing was self inflicted.  Even his friend who was in the doc said he won't listen to the tapes.  He knew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Who thinks that he was a hero?

Wife and I started on the newest season of Shameless. It had gotten pretty spotty the last couple of seasons after being consistently great for a long time. This year it has officially and fully jumped the shark. Barely watchable and most episodes are saved from being terrible by V and Kevin. It desperately misses Fiona, and Debbie as the "house mom" is just awful. Awful. We will probably finish the season but I won't be proud of that fact. Won't start the next season if there is one.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Never watched The West Wing so started that up as my nightly show to pass out to. High production value, great cast and writing. Gets a bit sappy at times. Nearly 20 years old but holds up fairly well.

Our go-to for the end of the night.  We go through each episode (less the CJ goes home one) and start all over when we get to the end of the series.

I am watching Teenage Bounty Hunters right now.  It's fun.  The leads are good actresses, and Kadeem Hardison as an overweight, grey haired, grizzled old bounty hunter is unrecognizable (at least to me, because he'll always be Dwayne Wayne to me).  You must set aside the ridiculousness of the premise and the insanity of Hardison's willingness to mentor the twins in bounty hunting based on one encounter.  They make it pretty easy to do if you are willing.   

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Wife and I started on the newest season of Shameless. It had gotten pretty spotty the last couple of seasons after being consistently great for a long time. This year it has officially and fully jumped the shark. Barely watchable and most episodes are saved from being terrible by V and Kevin. It desperately misses Fiona, and Debbie as the "house mom" is just awful. Awful. We will probably finish the season but I won't be proud of that fact. Won't start the next season if there is one.

Agree. I really enjoyed the first few seasons, but it got really shitty really fast. 

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Our go-to for the end of the night.  We go through each episode (less the CJ goes home one) and start all over when we get to the end of the series.

I have watched the entire series probably a half dozen times by now and on each go-through I skip the same episodes - CJ going home, the "special episode" (the documentary), and The Debate (Santos/Vinnick).  Sometimes skip Isaac and Ishmael as well.

15 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I am watching Teenage Bounty Hunters right now.  It's fun.  The leads are good actresses, and Kadeem Hardison as an overweight, grey haired, grizzled old bounty hunter is unrecognizable (at least to me, because he'll always be Dwayne Wayne to me).  You must set aside the ridiculousness of the premise and the insanity of Hardison's willingness to mentor the twins in bounty hunting based on one encounter.  They make it pretty easy to do if you are willing.   

I binged the whole season over the weekend.  Loved it.  I think the characters are really well written, especially the twins.  They are hilarious.

Wife (no pics) and I finished "Unorthodox" last night (only 4 episodes so is quick watch)

follows an orthodox Jewish woman who breaks away from her home in NYC and makes her way to Berlin (where her mother is) and her husband's efforts to find her and bring her back. Some good, tense moments and the actress who plays the main role does a good job of emulating someone who is just experiencing the things people that are not orthodox Jews take for granted.

On 8/17/2020 at 12:49 PM, MillerEP said:

New season of Lucifer drops Friday. 

i had no clue what that show was about (other than the devil being in LA) despite fox promoting the hell out of it during football games and was pleasantly surprised when i started watching it on netflix. 

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

i had no clue what that show was about (other than the devil being in LA) despite fox promoting the hell out of it during football games and was pleasantly surprised when i started watching it on netflix. 

Same. I started it because of my gf and I like it. Didn't care to watch earlier. The women aren't bad either 

Project Power with Jamie Foxx and Joseph Gordon Levitt was good, not great. It's a little grittier than your average movie about superpowers.

But there's going to be a specific point in the movie where you'll say to yourself "Jamie Foxx is doing an impersonation of Denzel Washington" and it'll be very obvious.

Project Power with Jamie Foxx and Joseph Gordon Levitt was good, not great. It's a little grittier than your average movie about superpowers.
But there's going to be a specific point in the movie where you'll say to yourself "Jamie Foxx is doing an impersonation of Denzel Washington" and it'll be very obvious.

Yeah it’s a Netflix movie, we liked it and said it wasn’t great but it was interesting.

I told my wife afterwards, it’s like they had a really good premise and a rough idea of how to tell it...

And also yes, my wife and I both came away saying Foxx was doing his Denzel man on fire impersonation

11 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I binged the whole season (Teenage Bounty Hunters) over the weekend.  Loved it.  I think the characters are really well written, especially the twins.  They are hilarious.

By the way, Method Man is awesome in this.  Also didn’t recognize him at first.