How do I tell a friend...

Asithappens

What about my Dave Campbell's Texas Football since '96?

I'm sure  lotsa folks have more early ones.

I still get many comments by family and friends who love sports and start coveting my shit before they leave the house.  LOL.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I still have a few Hustler magazines from the 80s, but you can’t open them anymore.

Yeah, my 2008 and 2009 copies of DCTF are in the same shape. #memoriesofleach

Edited by slorch

10 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I went to the prom with/dated the daughter of the principal photographer for years from Nat Geo.  She was pretty cute.  Yes I have a pic.
peggy.jpg
Other than that, I got nuthin'.

Did you try chloroform?  Oh wait... you meant something else...  nevermind. 

Some people chose to collect unopened stars wars action figures, other decades of magazines. The magazine route doesn’t seem to have paid off. A quick glance on eBay shows me that you can buy century old nat geo magazines for extremely low prices.no one must want them.

Yeah but can you fap to star wars action figures?

Nevermind, don’t answer that.
  • Like 1

My parents had 40 or 50 years of NatGeos. I grew up thinking that people saved them for some special reason. They all went straight into the recycling bin when my mom downsized her house.

Collecting anything, in general, seems like a baby boomer fad that's dying out. How many people do you know that collect stamps, coins, or baseball cards anymore? Only thing I can think of that's still going strong is the very rich buying art, etc as a store of wealth, but that's a different thing entirely.

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

My parents had 40 or 50 years of NatGeos. I grew up thinking that people saved them for some special reason. They all went straight into the recycling bin when my mom downsized her house.

Collecting anything, in general, seems like a baby boomer fad that's dying out. How many people do you know that collect stamps, coins, or baseball cards anymore? Only thing I can think of that's still going strong is the very rich buying art, etc as a store of wealth, but that's a different thing entirely.

you dont need to be very rich to be a thomas kinkadeionaire

I actually had a stack of 'em.  Not because they're valuable but they're so damn pretty and the paper is like royal quality.  Stack must've been 5 feet high.
But I weeded them out except for about 10 of 'em covering big events or that were just too beautiful to trash.

wait, are we doing movie dialogue?  I give up, which film?

Friend of mine's wife collected decades upon decades of not only Nat Geos, but Southern Living, coastal living, and a few others.  And had really nice built ins integrated into the living room, hallway, family room, office, even the entrance foyer of their house in which to store them.

Then hurricane Harvey put 9 feet of water into their house for 3 days.  My buddy was at MD Anderson, so my job was to gut his house.  10 foot pile of soggy magazines on the front lawn.

Tell him his wife has more issues than National Geographic.  And by that you mean many people have seen her saggy tits, she’s a decent cook, and her enlogated neck is freaking people out.  

If everybody’s parents or grandparents collect these things, that doesn’t leave much of a market for buyers now does it. 

Some years ago ago I was dragged into an antiques store that had a ton of Life magazines. I looked for the Whitman shooting cover but they didn’t have that issue. With the bullet hole in the jewelry store and tower out of focus in the background. 

On 3/27/2019 at 2:34 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

If everybody’s parents or grandparents collect these things, that doesn’t leave much of a market for buyers now does it. 

Some years ago ago I was dragged into an antiques store that had a ton of Life magazines. I looked for the Whitman shooting cover but they didn’t have that issue. With the bullet hole in the jewelry store and tower out of focus in the background. 

I have that one.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:22 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

I have thirty John Smoltz Topps rookie cards I'll sell you

$1

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:42 AM, shakahorn said:

10 million kids have that weird relative who got them a natgeo sub instead of something cool for their bday or Xmas.

Does that include on-line subscriptions or print only?

Edited by Wally Fairway
to include a reply to shaka
  • Haha 1

CSB: My mother in law has given me NatGeo for Christmas since my wife and I have been married (26 years).  Of course we have all the issues.  My UT freshman daughter (no pix) started reading those cover to cover in about 4th grade, and now is a Journalism major with NatGeo as her ultimate career goal. /CSB

• Like 2

Serious answer: Think back to whether you have ever, and I mean EVER, gone back and read a single one of the old issues.

Er, that is, ask you friend if he's ever read a single one of the old issues.

If the answer is no, then maybe your "friend" will start to think about why he's keeping them.

Edited by Bat Guano

On 3/26/2019 at 9:09 PM, Trey3216 said:

We got a genuine Indian guru

that’s teaching us a better way

We got all the friends that money can buy

so we’ll never have to be alone

and we keep gettin richer but we can’t get our picture on the cover of the NatGeo 

damn, that brings back memories.

+rep for Dr.Hook

• Like 1