Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That’s what verified 6’7’’ looks like. My goodness. 

Has Gerry or Burton ever said why On3 is so low on him?  He's kinda' in the mid 3* rating with them and in the 80's for the state if California.  The other sites have him high 3* and top 40 or so in-state.

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Has Gerry or Burton ever said why On3 is so low on him?  He's kinda' in the mid 3* rating with them and in the 80's for the state if California.  The other sites have him high 3* and top 40 or so in-state.

He's a take for his potential as an in-line blocker. Most highly rated TEs get their high ratings because of offensive potential. Not sure how much value he provides as a pass catcher at this point in his development.

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He's a take for his potential as an in-line blocker. Most highly rated TEs get their high ratings because of offensive potential. Not sure how much value he provides as a pass catcher at this point in his development.

Sure but that doesn’t explain why he’s so much lower comparatively for On3 than the other sites, which is what OP was asking. 

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Will be interesting to see how they compare to Shipley/Quan

9 hours ago, Scholz said:

Roy Williams/BJ Johnson/Sloan Thomas we’re pretty special too

Great combos.

For their era, I'm partial to Keith and Kerry Cash and Johnny Walker

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Spoiler

Five-star safety Derek Williams committed to Texas in June in the aftermath of decisive official visits to The Forty Acres. Now, the Raptor is plotting where he’ll take his remaining official visits.

Williams of New Iberia (La.) Westgate, is the On3 Consensus’ No. 3-rated safety in the country. He told On3 that Alabama, Texas A&M, LSU and Miami are all in line for official visits this fall. He’s locked in his next official visit to Tuscaloosa for Oct. 7 when the Crimson Tide hosts SEC West rival Texas A&M.

“They haven’t given up at all,” Williams told On3 of the Tide. “They’re just trying to get me ready for when I go take my official visit there.”

The Aggies remain in the pursuit of some of the nation’s best safeties to round out their 2023 haul. That includes Williams.

“They said they’re never gonna give up on me,” Williams said.

The same goes for the in-state Tigers, which have turned to social media campaigns to try to engage Williams. Multiple LSU coaches remain in regular contact with the state’s No. 2 player.

“You see what’s going on Twitter trying to bring Derek home? I can’t miss it,” Williams said. “It’s like … wow. Coach (Kerry) Cooks, Coach Jordan (Arcement) and Coach Sherman (Wilson) have been respecting my commitment, but I hear from players on the team and they’ve just been randomly texting.”

Williams toured through Miami during the spring and Mario Cristobal’s Hurricanes have also not taken their foot off the gas.

“I got to set my official visit over there,” said Williams. “Miami hits me up every single day, too.”

Williams reaffirms commitment to Horns
Williams’ attention is shifting to football as the season nears, putting his recruitment on the back burner for the foreseeable future. Hence, the timing of his commitment to Texas.

“It feels great. I’m locked in with Texas,” Williams told On3.

“I’ve been building bonds with people on the team and getting to know the guys on the team and on the coaching staff. Coach B. Harris is my boy and they all show love. They still talk to me like they’re recruiting me to commit.”

Williams is the nation’s No. 27 overall player on the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

• Hook 'Em 9

23 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:
  Hide contents

Five-star safety Derek Williams committed to Texas in June in the aftermath of decisive official visits to The Forty Acres. Now, the Raptor is plotting where he’ll take his remaining official visits.

Williams of New Iberia (La.) Westgate, is the On3 Consensus’ No. 3-rated safety in the country. He told On3 that Alabama, Texas A&M, LSU and Miami are all in line for official visits this fall. He’s locked in his next official visit to Tuscaloosa for Oct. 7 when the Crimson Tide hosts SEC West rival Texas A&M.

“They haven’t given up at all,” Williams told On3 of the Tide. “They’re just trying to get me ready for when I go take my official visit there.”

The Aggies remain in the pursuit of some of the nation’s best safeties to round out their 2023 haul. That includes Williams.

The same goes for the in-state Tigers, which have turned to social media campaigns to try to engage Williams. Multiple LSU coaches remain in regular contact with the state’s No. 2 player.

“You see what’s going on Twitter trying to bring Derek home? I can’t miss it,” Williams said. “It’s like … wow. Coach (Kerry) Cooks, Coach Jordan (Arcement) and Coach Sherman (Wilson) have been respecting my commitment, but I hear from players on the team and they’ve just been randomly texting.”

Williams toured through Miami during the spring and Mario Cristobal’s Hurricanes have also not taken their foot off the gas.

“I got to set my official visit over there,” said Williams. “Miami hits me up every single day, too.”

Williams’ attention is shifting to football as the season nears, putting his recruitment on the back burner for the foreseeable future. Hence, the timing of his commitment to Texas.

“I’ve been building bonds with people on the team and getting to know the guys on the team and on the coaching staff. Coach B. Harris is my boy and they all show love. They still talk to me like they’re recruiting me to commit.”

Williams is the nation’s No. 27 overall player on the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

The Raptor is a cool nickname for a safety

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Anyone have this? Mostly interested in the akana notes

Spoiler

Jayvon Thomas, DB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff (Texas A&M)

Despite his verbal pledge to the Aggies, the On3 four-star corner has reached out to a few programs to gauge interest and set up potential visits.

Texas and LSU are two schools Thomas has enquired about recently. With the Horns, they have fellow Golden Bears and Texas commits Malik Muhammad and Billy Walton in his ear. With LSU, they’ve shifted some emphasis to Bravion Rogers, the former A&M pledge from LaGrange (Texas).

Getting Thomas back on campus is a must for this to be real. And with the Horns prioritizing fellow DFW native Javien Toviano, it’ll be interesting how this recruitment plays out.

Tausili Akana, EDGE, Lehi (UT) Skyridge

Texas continues to push for the One four-star and native Hawaiian and maintains his relationships with Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate are strong. Losing recruiting assistant Jake Langi doesn’t help this situation, but remains to be seen if it hurts.

Akana is set to see Austin again on September 10th for the Alabama game. He’d already visited programs like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU, and is eager to return to Texas early next month.

Watch BYU, Utah, and Oregon in this pursuit. All are pushing for the 6-foot-3, 210-pounder’s signature. With childhood friend Liona Lefau in the UT Class of 2023 and his sister playing volleyball at UT this fall, there are a handful of data points that help the Horns chances.

Kayden McDonald, DL, Suwannee (Ga.) North Gwinnett

Texas recently offered the 6-foot-2, 325-pound On3 Consensus four-star and hopes to get him on campus for a game this fall. McDonald holds over 30 offers including Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State, and Oklahoma.

McDonald plans to commit in late October, and his decision will be based off relationships, development on and off the field, and early playing time if possible.

Clemson appears to be his quiet leader, and an official visit to Michigan on September 10th is on the schedule. He’s already seen Florida on an official visit, and will also catch Ohio State on September 24th. He’ll take an official to Clemson, but unsure of the date today.

Speaking of defensive line targets, Texas and Jordan Hall (Jacksonville, Fla./Westside) continue to communicate. The Longhorns are working to get an official visit set up, per a source close to the recruitment. Finding a date when Hall, and his father can make the visit is key. Texas doesn’t want Hall to visit without the key family members.

Texas also continues to have strong communication with On3 Consensus four-star Markis Deal (Garland, Texas/Naaman Forest). At least one person close to the recruitment believes Deal, himself, may be a slight lean to Texas, or envisioning Texas more and more. The recruitment still has plenty remaining to be sure. An official visit to Georgia September 24th, and returns trips to Texas and Oklahoma prior to a decision. UT will either receive the final OV, or an unofficial visit.

Texas and On3 Consensus five-star David Hicks (Katy, Texas/Paetow) continue to communicate. There is a possibility Hicks will make an unofficial visit to Texas for the Alabama game. An official visit remains possible too. Oklahoma and Texas A&M continue to be way out in front, but Texas will recruit through the whistle.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:
  Hide contents

Jayvon Thomas, DB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff (Texas A&M)

Despite his verbal pledge to the Aggies, the On3 four-star corner has reached out to a few programs to gauge interest and set up potential visits.

Texas and LSU are two schools Thomas has enquired about recently. With the Horns, they have fellow Golden Bears and Texas commits Malik Muhammad and Billy Walton in his ear. With LSU, they’ve shifted some emphasis to Bravion Rogers, the former A&M pledge from LaGrange (Texas).

Getting Thomas back on campus is a must for this to be real. And with the Horns prioritizing fellow DFW native Javien Toviano, it’ll be interesting how this recruitment plays out.

Tausili Akana, EDGE, Lehi (UT) Skyridge

Texas continues to push for the One four-star and native Hawaiian and maintains his relationships with Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate are strong. Losing recruiting assistant Jake Langi doesn’t help this situation, but remains to be seen if it hurts.

Akana is set to see Austin again on September 10th for the Alabama game. He’d already visited programs like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU, and is eager to return to Texas early next month.

Watch BYU, Utah, and Oregon in this pursuit. All are pushing for the 6-foot-3, 210-pounder’s signature. With childhood friend Liona Lefau in the UT Class of 2023 and his sister playing volleyball at UT this fall, there are a handful of data points that help the Horns chances.

Kayden McDonald, DL, Suwannee (Ga.) North Gwinnett

Texas recently offered the 6-foot-2, 325-pound On3 Consensus four-star and hopes to get him on campus for a game this fall. McDonald holds over 30 offers including Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State, and Oklahoma.

McDonald plans to commit in late October, and his decision will be based off relationships, development on and off the field, and early playing time if possible.

Clemson appears to be his quiet leader, and an official visit to Michigan on September 10th is on the schedule. He’s already seen Florida on an official visit, and will also catch Ohio State on September 24th. He’ll take an official to Clemson, but unsure of the date today.

Speaking of defensive line targets, Texas and Jordan Hall (Jacksonville, Fla./Westside) continue to communicate. The Longhorns are working to get an official visit set up, per a source close to the recruitment. Finding a date when Hall, and his father can make the visit is key. Texas doesn’t want Hall to visit without the key family members.

Texas also continues to have strong communication with On3 Consensus four-star Markis Deal (Garland, Texas/Naaman Forest). At least one person close to the recruitment believes Deal, himself, may be a slight lean to Texas, or envisioning Texas more and more. The recruitment still has plenty remaining to be sure. An official visit to Georgia September 24th, and returns trips to Texas and Oklahoma prior to a decision. UT will either receive the final OV, or an unofficial visit.

Texas and On3 Consensus five-star David Hicks (Katy, Texas/Paetow) continue to communicate. There is a possibility Hicks will make an unofficial visit to Texas for the Alabama game. An official visit remains possible too. Oklahoma and Texas A&M continue to be way out in front, but Texas will recruit through the whistle.

That's quite a non-update on Akana.

Jayvon Thomas actively reaching out to other schools doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the strength of his commitment to aggy.

Thanks for posting

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Big Woodrows said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"Locked in" but taking 4 other OVs this fall. Huh.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I mean one of them was

One-third of the most-hyped recruiting trio in Texas history, which included Sloan Thomas and Roy Williams (#1 ranked in UT history), B.J. Johnson made a lasting impression during his time on the Forty Acres.

Major Applewhite's favorite target was a part of the top 10 in several receiving categories including:

• No. 6 in career receptions with 152.
    • No. 5 in career receiving yardage with 2,389.
    • No. 5 in career touchdown catches with 16. 
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Which is odd as he was the one that said it was Ewers months ago.  I haven’t seen his subsequent reports though.  

wait you’re not saying I’m the bitch right?

Nah Vogel. He had that shit piece just last week or whatever about Ewers attitude now this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

hey @immamac (everyone else can ignore)

Spoiler

Unable to post on the football board and when I go to dm it says that I am only allowed to send 0 messages per day

Anyways, I would like to help out with the ULM tailgate, at least. Not sure which other games I will be attending yet. Looks like labor is taken care of with staff but I can assist with whatever organization efforts are needed. Happy to talk about whatever you need. I have a pretty good amount of experience setting up some badass tailgates. 

• Drool 2

Gerry on Bobbys youtube show today said there was a player committed elsewhere from the Houston area who wants to come in for a visit for the Bama game.  But Gerry said the staff probably will say no because they don't think it genuine interest or something..  Is that Pettaway?  I know it's not Hicks.. and I don't think the staff is on Sanford either... Shelby?