Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

16 minutes ago, Okie State said:
44 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
I live in Frisco and just read the comments on a local news story about the case discovered here.

We are fucked.

It's really frightening how ignorant most people here are about what is going on with this across the world. What's worse is the narrative that anyone encouraging changes in behavior to avoid catching and spreading this is gullible and caught up in the media frenzy. These people really believe there's nothing to see here, meanwhile other countries are implementing unprecedented quarantines of huge numbers of people.

Any hope I had that this could be moderately contained here is just gone. Idiots are going to be idiots and make sure this thing spreads like crazy, and only once people they know start being impacted will they realize it was more than just the media. Unfortunately that will be about two weeks too late to hope to to anything about it.

General lack of awareness about what goes on in the world has always been pretty embarrassing for a lot of Americans, and for once it's going to bite us in the ass. There's plenty of evidence to go off of at this point in terms of the severity of this, but reading these comments you wouldn't know it.

Read more  

This is my observation as well. Only a few at work seem even moderately concerned. I'm starting to feel like a conspiracy theorist for thinking this gets much, much worse here in the next few weeks and months.

Dude. I’m right there with you. My family, elderly parents included, looks at me like I’m crazy when I talk about being prepared for this shit.

Maybe I am crazy. Whatever 

• Like 2

I leave for Philly in the morning to speak at a conference that they didn’t cancel.  I feel bad for everybody near me since I still have a cough from having the flu like 4 weeks ago and I am sure I will be getting stared at in the airport and on the plane when I hack away.  Oh, and I hope I don’t get the corona and die.

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I leave for Philly in the morning to speak at a conference that they didn’t cancel.  I feel bad for everybody near me since I still have a cough from having the flu like 4 weeks ago and I am sure I will be getting stared at in the airport and on the plane when I hack away.  Oh, and I hope I don’t get the corona and die.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I told my Philly clients I was going to bail on the conference and they gave me the Philly attitude of Don’t be a pussy, your not going to die and get on the fucking plane next week.  

Did you simply respond " fuuuuugettaboutit !"

27 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Dude. I’m right there with you. My family, elderly parents included, looks at me like I’m crazy when I talk about being prepared for this shit.

Maybe I am crazy. Whatever 

My 88 year old MIL just got on a plane to go meet up with 9 similarly aged siblings/spouses, who themselves all got on a plane, to get to Florida. They will share a house for 2 weeks.  Nobody cancelled.  They are betting their lives that it’s all overblown, for 2 weeks of sitting in a house NEAR a beach. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That means a huge chunk of infections in Italy are in the 50+ age cohort. God damn.

Roughly 40% of Italy’s population is 50 or older. They also smoke like fucking chimneys and drink like sailors. The skew on age makes sense, given everything else we know about the bug. CIA Factbook and WHO can confirm these things.

Disclaimer to the doomsdayers: I am not saying that anything is Italy specific and the virus can’t kill us all. Just pointing out some potential drivers for the spread there. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Roughly 40% of Italy’s population is 50 or older. They also smoke like fucking chimneys and drink like sailors. The skew on age makes sense, given everything else we know about the bug. CIA Factbook and WHO can confirm these things.

Disclaimer to the doomsdayers: I am not saying that anything is Italy specific and the virus can’t kill us all. Just pointing out some potential drivers for the spread there. 

You've said this, and I'm not trying to come at you because I think you brought up some valid points in your prior posts about the smoking thing. However, they and Iran are roughly average for cigarette smoking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita

Maybe the old people smoke more (as with most countries). I don't know, haven't made it to Italy yet.

But all said, if we see similar mortality rates here within those advanced age groups, it's going to create an enormous burden on our healthcare system that's likely to break it, at least in a lot of places. So I mean even if you and I are safe, these mortality rates for older people are going to make this unlike anything we've ever seen, both in pure body count and in what it does to our infrastructure.

Edited by BradInATX

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I work from home (or an airplane) anyway, but my company just issued a work from home order until March 24th. I bet our always reliable VPN service will be awesome with a few thousand extra users. 

funny story, my employer sent a company-wide email last week for everyone to try using the VPN at once just to make sure it could handle the spike and ongoing load

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yea they’re interesting to read but not sure I put much merit into them

Fair point, except for the fact Italy locked down their entire fucking country.  Maybe that thread is BS but it seems like some pretty bad shit is going down for officials to make that decision.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I work from home (or an airplane) anyway, but my company just issued a work from home order until March 24th. I bet our always reliable VPN service will be awesome with a few thousand extra users. 

Hmmm, my company ALSO just issued a work from home order until March 24th... :)

And I also work from home about 94.9% of the time so it doesn't really affect the way I'll be performing my job.  I typically go into the office for a few hours maybe 2 days per month for executive reviews and face-to-face meetings, 1:1s, etc.

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You've said this, and I'm not trying to come at you because I think you brought up some valid points in your prior posts about the smoking thing. However, they and Iran are roughly average for cigarette smoking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita

Maybe the old people smoke more (as with most countries). I don't know, haven't made it to Italy yet.

But all said, if we see similar mortality rates here within those advanced age groups, it's going to create an enormous burden on our healthcare system that's likely to break it, at least in a lot of places. So I mean even if you and I are safe, these mortality rates for older people are going to make this unlike anything we've ever seen, both in pure body count and in what it does to our infrastructure.

A mortality rate similar to what?

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Hmmm, my company ALSO just issued a work from home order until March 24th... :)

And I also work from home about 94.9% of the time so it doesn't really affect the way I'll be performing my job.  I typically go into the office for a few hours maybe 2 days per month for executive reviews and face-to-face meetings, 1:1s, etc.

My leadership sits in the Boston area and Seattle. My inside team is in Franklin. I only go up there if I've got a customer in the EBC or someone from my extended team is up there for some reason. 

1 minute ago, CleverNickname said:

So over at King County WA Life Care, covid19 has killed 19 of 120 patients. That's already 16%. And I read the other day that they had 11 deaths before the first diagnosis, and usually they'd have 5 or 6.

16%. Not Great. Not Terrible. 

They usually have 5 or six what? 16% is insane, if it were something you could extrapolate. I have no idea what you’re trying to say here.

1 hour ago, Errestaurants said:

When is large scale testing suppose to begin? I'm sure someone has asked and it's been answered but this thread moves pretty quick. Thanks in advance 

CDC has tested 1,707 through yesterday.  Claims they don’t know many were tested by cities/states.    They are still lowballing the number of cases on their website, and making sure Americans infected on cruise liners or overseas aren’t counted towards the official total, even if their infected asses are sitting on American soil.

Yesterday, US Surgeon General said they had 75,000 ready, would have 2 million ready today, and 4 million ready by end of week (in partnership with university, city, state, corporate partners), but I’m not confident they are interested in testing.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:
1 hour ago, Deej said:
I've been taking all the herbal supplements listed up thread and feel better than I have in years. So, I'm probably gonna die soon.

What are supplements listed earlier in the thread? Too many pages to sift through

Gin and white claw.

• Like 1

Just now, akhornfan said:

They usually have 5 or six what? 16% is insane, if it were something you could extrapolate. I have no idea what you’re trying to say here.

5-6 deaths a month. It was in their briefing.  Think it was actually 5-7 deaths.  It’s a facility that handles some really bad-off folks at times.  

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

But all said, if we see similar mortality rates here within those advanced age groups, it's going to create an enormous burden on our healthcare system that's likely to break it, at least in a lot of places. So I mean even if you and I are safe, these mortality rates for older people is going to make this unlike anything we've ever seen.

I’m spitballing. I thought I’ve read repeatedly that smoking exacerbated the risk, but tell me if that’s not true. I’ve never been to the far east, although I’d love to go. I have been to Europe, Central America, the Caribbean, and Canada many times. I’m going off of anecdotal thinking from what I’ve seen. Hell, I thought people in England smoked like chimneys from having been there so much. So I looked all of it up on the WHO end today to check my thinking. I make a habit of mocking analysis by anecdote, here and in real life, so I wanted to see. (Turns out England is a low smoking  country, like the US) 

In Iran, males smoke at a higher rate than normal. This is actually true across much of the Islamic realm. Women smoke at a disproportionately lower rate and the average balances out to look normal. Italy, what I saw, was like 27%. That’s just flat out high. 

I didn’t look for anything stratified by age, but my hunch is that more old people smoke, sure. 

I think the bigger thing with Italy, if there’s any substance to any of this, is the face to face greeting. I’ve been there and witnessed it as the social norm. It’s odd how little that’s being discussed. I don’t watch political or news channels, so maybe it is and it’s just not something I’ve seen. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away