2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

skin-thinned is a nice little spoonerism 

Mike Pence and his gentlemen callers don't 'spoon.'  

They 'Spork.'  

It's like spooning, only there's a little something up top poking at you.  

18 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Jesus Christ—how bad must their internals be to prompt both Ben Sasse and John Cornyn to distance within the last 48 hours?

I don't think either are in danger.  It seems more like it's just getting a headstart maybe?  Rs are going to be trying to distance themselves from Trump through at least 2024, probably longer.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Biden would sound like history's greatest monster . . .  if only Trump had not presided over my cancellation of Easter, 420, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, my Birthday, Labor Day, Halloween,  and likely Thanksgiving.  Also, win or lose, Trump is president on Christmas 2020.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I get what you were saying. I disagree with it, but I get it. That said, it wasn't clear at all that you were being a devil's advocate. There is literally nothing in your initial post to suggest that. You need to be upfront about it if that is what you are doing. 

Like maybe saying, oh, I don't know, "I'm just playing Devil's advocate here"?

Maybe that would help stave off the mean goon hordes criticizing someone who both-sided the argument and tried to back his way out.

Or maybe not.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Like maybe saying, oh, I don't know, "I'm just playing Devil's advocate here"?

Maybe that would help stave off the mean goon hordes criticizing someone who both-sided the argument and tried to back his way out.

Or maybe not.

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here, but your sister is a whore.  All due respect and no offense. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yeah I'm curious if Trump not just loses but gets trounced and with how entrenched his followers are, how will most of them even function in a society that repudiated all that they stood for? I would imagine it won't be a moment of reflection though and they'll continue down the dark path they've chosen to detach from reality. Like the Trump flag guy I see when I drive towards my house. What does that guy do after Trump is gone? Does he just sit and stew while coming up with conspiracy theories about how the election was stolen from Trump? Or say Trump is routed, does he blame it on Democrats cheating or low information voters? The Trump supporter truly seems cult like. 

We talk about the current White House being a circus and all - you have a ringmaster whipping people up into a frenzy, getting them excited about every act that comes through the tent.  Here's a scenario, we'll call it Scenario A: What if the ringmaster wanders away, outside of the tent, and somebody turns out the lights?  Sure, you're going to have people who are still keeping themselves worked up, but the rest of them will be like "well, I guess the show's over, time to go home."

Or Scenario B: What if the ringmaster announces in the middle of the act "Hey everybody, follow me, we are going to a different tent, we'll call it Trump TV" and then wanders off to a much smaller tent, with much less sensational acts?  Yeah, some are still going to follow him, but plenty are going to be bored and leave.

The people whose identities have truly become entwined with supporting Trump are going to have a hell of a withdrawal come January.  The rest who supported him because (R), or taxes or for other reasons that have nothing to do with the man himself, once they see the world hasn't ended after a few weeks or month or two, will go back to the way they were under Obama and Clinton - grumbling, listening to Limbaugh and Hannity, but that's about it.

He's the President right now, and he validates these people's lives in some way, but I just don't think Trump has the cultlike following he does without the stage known as the White House, and all of its pomp and pageantry.  Without that stage come January, he'll be a loser, and no matter what he broadcasts from Mar-a-Lago, after a few evenings or weeks, it's just going to be the same for them.

And something else to toss in the mix:  He will absolutely burn down the GOP on his way out - he's going to blame them in no small part, because many Republican politicians will probably talk about how he cost them the election, and that will drive him up the fucking wall like nothing else.

8 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I don't think they'll go away completely. The older Trump voters who were reliable R voters previously, yeah, they'll move on to the next race or whatever. But the Trump movement has empowered poor white trash and for the first time in their lives they've been given the feeling of actually holding power over the libtards in cities and the intellectuals. They're not going to let that go. Not sure if it'll manifest in a continued Trump brand as he becomes a media guy on OANN or whatever, or if it will manifest itself in some other way. But it's going to stick around for awhile.

He worked up this group of people like no other Republican before him (Nixon could only dream of something like that).  But, the older people were around under Obama, and many under Clinton.  Those who have been around will go back to their Limbaughs and Hannity and what not.  That other group you're talking about, the younger ones, they will have a helluva hard time, and I think some of them will probably pop off in some way. Not many, but like you said, they felt a little powerful for a little while, and they are going to want to recapture that.

Like I said above, I think he torches the GOP on the way out, because if the GOP loses big, all of the media and plenty of Republicans will go all-out talking about how he cost the GOP the House, the White House, and maybe even the Senate, in the span of two years, especially some of those Republicans who lost their reelection bids.

He's not going to go out there and say "JOE BIDEN BEAT ME!" because that implies that Biden is better than him.  He might do the "JOE BIDEN STOLE THE ELECTION" bit, but even that will remind him that he was beaten by Biden.

No, he's Donald Fucking Trump, and that means that somebody else cost him the election, and that somebody is the GOP.  Look at how he has railed on all kinds of Republicans he feels didn't bend the knee enough for him.  Put him out of the office, where he no longer has any semblance of a schedule, and he will spend his days bitching about them.

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

The GOP of today is the child of its traditional northeastern rich-people-shouldn't-pay-taxes crowd (which it has been since the income tax came back into being in 1913) + religious/racists who joined up in response to the civil rights era + the extraction industry which has been dumbing people down since the Colorado Coalfield War.  All those factors were in place when Reagan was President.  Hell, Reagan was the one who really brought the religious/racists on board.  They doubled down on dumbing people down with the cancellation of the equal time rule. That lead to El Rushbo and Fox News beaming stupidity and genuflection to the capital class straight into your brain in a way that Ivy Lee would never have dreamt of in even his wildest wet dreams.  The only thing Trump has added is unintentional incompetence (intentional incompetence/malfeasance has been there since Reagan, see Neil Gorsuch's mom), and malignant narcissism.*  It is very much the party Reagan made it in the late 70s through the 80s.

*And it's not like Nixon didn't dabble in malfeasance in governmental affairs, and he was the previous king of electoral malfeasancey.  Malignant narcissist as well.  Though he didn't make that into a party plank like Trump has.

And don’t leave out the John Birchers.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He worked up this group of people like no other Republican before him (Nixon could only dream of something like that).  But, the older people were around under Obama, and many under Clinton.  Those who have been around will go back to their Limbaughs and Hannity and what not.  That other group you're talking about, the younger ones, they will have a helluva hard time, and I think some of them will probably pop off in some way. Not many, but like you said, they felt a little powerful for a little while, and they are going to want to recapture that.

Like I said above, I think he torches the GOP on the way out, because if the GOP loses big, all of the media and plenty of Republicans will go all-out talking about how he cost the GOP the House, the White House, and maybe even the Senate, in the span of two years, especially some of those Republicans who lost their reelection bids.

He's not going to go out there and say "JOE BIDEN BEAT ME!" because that implies that Biden is better than him.  He might do the "JOE BIDEN STOLE THE ELECTION" bit, but even that will remind him that he was beaten by Biden.

No, he's Donald Fucking Trump, and that means that somebody else cost him the election, and that somebody is the GOP.  Look at how he has railed on all kinds of Republicans he feels didn't bend the knee enough for him.  Put him out of the office, where he no longer has any semblance of a schedule, and he will spend his days bitching about them.

The traditional GOP will stick with the GOP but in that scenario, his trailer park contingent will stick with him and it will turn into Trump vs. GOP vs. Libtards. Which is fine, it might force the GOP to rebuke Trumpism and get back to being rich white men trying to protect their money. 

And even if it's not Trump, the rural whites and urban poor whites who have found their voice and footing aren't just going back underground. They'll rally around something else. OANN, some sort of media personality, or even some product. There will be something that represents the "movement" that Trump started. Tiki torches or some shit. They'll be a stain on our country for awhile, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This post is as hopeful as it is empathetic. I pray we get the opportunity to learn how accurate you are.

I regret that I too often entertain thoughts that are polar opposite, as they are pessimistic and cynical. And normal, for humans trying to understand the unexplainable

We vote as a group tomorrow, my family and I. I will vote because I want to trust. 

I usually get burned when I try to be optimistic about Florida, but the numbers seem to look good for Biden.

heres 2016 in Florida :

Trump - 4,617,886 votes

clinton - 4,504,975 votes 

Johnson - 207,043 votes

trump won Florida by about 112,000 votes. Johnson got 200,000 votes in Florida. If you factor in that most 3rd party voters are voting Biden this year, most independents are voting Biden, and Biden is doing better with olds / white folks. I think Biden has a great shot to win this state. Clinton was awful and she didn’t lose it by a lot.

I usually get burned when I try to be optimistic about Florida, but the numbers seem to look good for Biden.
heres 2016 in Florida :
Trump - 4,617,886 votes
Johnson - 207,043 votes

trump won Florida by about 112,000 votes. Johnson got 200,000 votes in Florida. If you factor in that most 3rd party voters are voting Biden this year, most independents are voting Biden, and Biden is doing better with olds / white folks. I think Biden has a great shot to win this state. Clinton was awful and she didn’t lose it by a lot.
If Biden wins Florida it will be by a decent margin and look fairly obvious in hindsight.
  • Hook 'Em 1

heres 2016 in Florida :
Trump - 4,617,886 votes
Johnson - 207,043 votes

There are a lot of states that are really close leading us to think Biden can win big on the electoral college without Johnson and Clinton and with everyone knows who trump is now.

Biden was correct about the whole "waking up from a spell" thing, he just overstates how common it will be.  And he also leaves out that this will go both directions.

Many Trumpkins will suddenly become decorum-loving moderate Republicans and many new liberals will once again become moderate Republicans.

The slow death of Trumpism is going to be fascinating to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I dont know. Why the fuck is he gaining with young black voters?

That was a depressing read. Gaining with Blacks, Hispanics, and the college-educated? What? Also, it is confusing in light of Biden's double digit lead in the polls nationally. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

That doesn’t mean they are giving up on minny, Ohio, and wisc does it?

Nah.  But it could mean they are literally digging through the couch for loose change to bankroll other shit over the last two weeks.

Polling probably shows that tv ads aren't really going to help going forward in Minnesota and Wisconsin.  Not sure about Ohio, but if their internals shows that Ohio is not gettable....

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Nah.  But it could mean they are literally digging through the couch for loose change to bankroll other shit over the last two weeks.

Polling probably shows that tv ads aren't really going to help going forward in Minnesota and Wisconsin.  Not sure about Ohio, but if their internals shows that Ohio is not gettable....

Maybe they think Ohio is safe. But is it?

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

That tweet makes no sense and appears to contradict itself. 

Here, I'll try to help

The Trump campaign cancelled all tv ads that had been bought in those three states for the period of 10/20 through 10/26.  They did this in spite of coordinating with the RNC previously on what commericals to run, etc.

It's kind of a big deal.

• Hook 'Em 2